Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 49 Old 06-04-2007, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have a VIZIO L37 with the following problem:

1. While watching TV the screen went blank and a high pitch load buzzing sound
started. I shut the TV off, waited than turned back on.

2. The picture now has gotten much smaller, no sound and a green back ground.

3. Went to the input mode tryed different settings. TV mode had a pink back
ground no sound. DVD mode had a green back ground.

4. Went back to Digatal HD mode, picture was normal but had green background
that bleed through the normal color.

5. Went back to the Adjustment mode and switched the sound to DVI...it than
worked.

6. So this is how it is ...all channels work...color is normal but the background
green bleeds through so you have everything tinted a slight green. And the
sound works only on DVI.

Please reply if you had this problem

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 02-05-2009, 07:11 PM

I have a Vizio 42" LCD and just started getting the green background yesterday. It is driving me crazy! It started after watching a Blu-ray on the Playstation 3. I ejected the disc and restarted the PS3 and all of the black backgrounds turned green and the normal clean bluescreen has vertical lines through it as well.

What did you end up doing to get your Vizio working? Thanks!
post #3 of 49 Old 03-18-2009, 04:17 PM

would love to know solution as well.
post #4 of 49 Old 03-19-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augus View Post

Well, Vizio actually replaced the entire TV since we are still under the 1 year warranty period... Before that we would have to tap the top of the TV for the green lines to go away.
post #5 of 49 Old 05-08-2009, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the same issue...

Is this what you see?

Tech is coming out next week.

Awful looking and will not go away. It gets worse in different modes (vivid, custom, etc)

post #6 of 49 Old 05-08-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augus View Post

Solution: dont buy vizio.
post #7 of 49 Old 05-09-2009, 12:07 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson View Post

I have the same issue...

Is this what you see?

Tech is coming out next week.

Awful looking and will not go away. It gets worse in different modes (vivid, custom, etc)

i don't see nothing wrong on that picture

English Is Not My First Language
My HD-DVD/BD Collection

post #8 of 49 Old 05-09-2009, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia101 View Post

Solution: dont buy vizio.

All manufaturers have occasional issues.....my three year old Vizio 32" has been perfectly fine.

What it really comes down to, especially under warranty is how the manufacturer takes care of you.
post #9 of 49 Old 05-09-2009, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

i don't know...if my tv had green stuff like that, i wouldn't be looking for a fix, i'd be looking for kleenex

TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
post #10 of 49 Old 06-13-2009, 11:04 AM

I have the same problem with my 42 in Vizio. I guess I had to learn the hard way not to buy a refurb. Vizio had a 90 day warranty which I missed by 2 weeks, now I'm S.O.L
post #11 of 49 Old 06-13-2009, 01:08 PM

had the same problem with my 1 year old 37"
The tech said it was over saturated luminence.
Had the extended warranty on the TV, so they sent me a controller board (or something like that).
Got the part delivered 3 weeks later, so I called the tech people (captovis)
They sent a tech out a week later. The part was wrong.
Had to have another part sent to me, another 3 weeks...
Wrong part again.
Another part being sent....you quessed it, wrong part again.
Complained to the warrentee company, Hampshire Insurance Company.
They did a buy back that took another month or so. The money is sitting in my bank account.
The whole process started the first week of Febuary, got the check last week 6/10.
Bought a Vizio 32" while I was waiting for this whole tv thing to get resolved.
I still wondering if I want to get the 47" u folks here are talking about.
I'm more mad at the insurance company and captovis. Things do break down, but the waiting was a killer.
tom
post #12 of 49 Old 07-31-2009, 07:19 AM

Just happened to my VO47L.

After finding this thread, I stopped wasting time troubleshooting on my own and called Vizio tech support (still under the 1-year warranty). I have 3 Vizios and this is the only one with a problem (and the newest).

The support rep seemed helpful, and I'm waiting for a call-back from the local repair guy.

By the end of the phone call, it stopped showing much of the green, but I can still see flickers of it in certain colors. Thanks for posting the picture! I can use that to demonstrate the problem if the TV happens to be behaving when a service person arrives.

I'll report on the status of how well they do with in-warranty service, at least here on the eastern shore of Delaware.
post #13 of 49 Old 07-31-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaber View Post

Just happened to my VO47L.

After finding this thread, I stopped wasting time troubleshooting on my own and called Vizio tech support (still under the 1-year warranty). I have 3 Vizios and this is the only one with a problem (and the newest).

The support rep seemed helpful, and I'm waiting for a call-back from the local repair guy.

By the end of the phone call, it stopped showing much of the green, but I can still see flickers of it in certain colors. Thanks for posting the picture! I can use that to demonstrate the problem if the TV happens to be behaving when a service person arrives.

I'll report on the status of how well they do with in-warranty service, at least here on the eastern shore of Delaware.

I had a similar intermittent green moss problem with a VO47. After I called tech support, Vizio sent tech to my house (Raleigh NC) promptly to replace main circuit board, when the tech noted that did not fix the problem, Vizio replaced the TV. I was impressed with how fast they responded. It was no hassle for me. My new Vizio TV works great.

Don't knock Vizios tech support.
post #14 of 49 Old 08-11-2009, 06:52 AM

This is a LVDS cable problem inside the TV. I had the same problem fixed last night. Took the repair guy about 45 minutes to fix. He told me that Vizio is now finding that the LVDS that they built into the TV is defective.
post #15 of 49 Old 09-26-2009, 11:03 AM

Any chance I can get some more details on what fixed the green screen problem. I have a 47" that has this problem and no warranty. If I know what part to replace I can do it myself. Thanks for any additional info.
post #16 of 49 Old 09-28-2009, 09:38 AM

I just bought a 47" Vizio V047L last week from an auction and now I'm having the same issue (green screen) shown in the pervious posts. I tried to adjust the picture settings and it seemed to get a little better but it hasn't completely gone away. Does anyone know if replacing the LVDS cable is easy for someone to do or is a technician needed? Would a firmware upgrade help at all? Thanks.
post #17 of 49 Old 11-23-2009, 05:48 PM

Hey Guys,
Visited your site last Thursday and found that someone had posted that the cause of my screen trippin "The Green Lights Fantastic" could be the LVDS cable. I ordered this from vizparts for $25.00 including shipping that same night. Well today Monday it arrived. I got my powered screwdriver out and commenced to removing screws. There are a bunch of them the top of the cover has snaps so I had to be a bit forceful there.Once the cover is removed I could see one end of the cable on the bottom of the T-con board. Next I removed the cover over the inputs dag more screws and the nut from the antenna jack once this cover eas taken off I then could disconnect one end of the cable from the main board. The other is connected to the T-Con board at the center top of the screen I removed screws along the top edge just so I could lift this up to loosen the LVDS cable as it was taped down in 2 places. I replaced the the cable with the new one tested it with my DVD player and wha- la a great picture. Reassembled the unit put back on the wall and am now getting ready to watch Monday Night Football in 1080p Heaven whoo whoo great job you guys rock.
post #18 of 49 Old 12-10-2009, 03:49 PM

I, too have had green "snow" progressing on my Vizio VO47L HDTV.
(as pictures above in this thread.)
I was ready to buy a new cable, but figured I would try the old "reseat the cable" trick.
It worked. And been good for two weeks now.
(Bought a cable for $25 for later back-up. Not installed.)
post #19 of 49 Old 12-16-2009, 09:17 AM

I had the same green screen problem on my 47" Vizio V047L hdtv. I called the vizio for help with the issue. The tech I spoke with said he was 95% sure it was the lvds cord. He also said it would cost about $300.00 for a tech to install it in the tv although the part itself costs about $20.00. I thought this is something I could do myself. I took the back off and got to work. Overall it took me about an 45 minutes to remove, replace the lvds cord and put everything back together. Turned on the tv and problem solved! I got the lvds cord from vizparts.com. If anyone needs help with this problem please contact me. If you are local I am willing to install the lvds cord for you, around the Philadelphia area.
post #20 of 49 Old 02-12-2010, 03:56 PM

I'm having the same problems, and being a handyman, I want to fix this one myself rather than go buy another TV. Do I need to worry about anything as I disassemble the tv in terms of power draining or avoiding metal around high capacitor areas? Anyone have pictures of this procedure inside the TV with what I'm looking for?

Thanks!
post #21 of 49 Old 02-17-2010, 07:56 PM

would this need a lvds cable, cause i already install a new mainboard....
LL
post #22 of 49 Old 02-18-2010, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
honestly, ^^^ that looks like a cable issue between your pc and tv. by the looks of that picture, only your desktop background is green. the taskbar and the icons are all normal. this points to a back vga/hdmi cable, or maybe even a bad video card. try another cable/connection to see if that helps.
post #23 of 49 Old 02-18-2010, 07:06 PM

it happens when i first turn it on, watching tv/movies and while playing ps3
post #24 of 49 Old 02-24-2010, 07:13 PM

My mother's VIZIO screen looked just like the one that MATA7 posted. Per the feedback below, I went to vizparts.com and purchased an $25.00 LVDS cable. As noted in the other threads, several screws and 3 panels later, I had the old cable out and the new one in. It took me about 45 minutes and now the TV works great. Jabo8's description of the process was very helpful...the big thing is to take it slow and don't force anything.
post #25 of 49 Old 04-16-2010, 08:12 PM

I hate to say this, but the green "snow" came back. (after re-seating the cable) I installed my new cable, and again that fixed it. But now it is back again. It appears it is one of the circuit boards that has the bad connector connection. Unplugging and re-plugging helps for a while.
(The green always appear in the dark parts of an image.)
post #26 of 49 Old 05-19-2010, 01:50 PM

Just an FYI -

I too had this same problem on my 52'' Vizio (model VX52L FHDTV10A) LCD TV. One second I was using my computer on the TV, the next second the whites turned PINK and the blacks turned GREEN. It looked exactly like the photo posted in this thread......snowy greens and pinks. I knew it couldn't have been pixels because they would move around.

I've only had the TV for a year and a few months, and of course it was out of warranty. I didn't want to buy a new TV already or pay out of my butt for a technician to come ($300+ at least), so I figured I'd try fixing it myself.

After researching it there's not much information out there about this problem, but I happened upon this thread. I figured "It's either the main board, or the LVDS cable." Since people in this thread had luck with the LVDS cable replacement, I figured I'd give it a shot.

I bought a new LVDS cable from vizparts.com for $21 shipped.

I've never worked on TV's but I'm good with PC's and electronics so I figured "What the hell, if I ruin it oh well."

I took the back casing off the TV, and then removed the metal housing that the main board (with all the HDMI connectors) was inside of. I looked at the new LVDS cable and tried to find a cable that matched it. On this model, it was connected to the TOP of the main board, and then goes through a hole UNDERNEATH the circuit boards and main electronics.

I tried finding where the other end connects, and realized I had to remove almost the entire metal casing that the boards sit on as the cord goes underneath this. What a pain in the butt. I unscrewed most of the metal housing and couldn't get it to snap off properly (there must've been more screws I wasn't seeing), so I just lifted the top half that was loose and could see the LVDS cable connection underneath. It was a tight fit since I didn't have the entire housing taken off, but I managed to get my hand in there, unhook the old LVDS, pull it through the hole, connect the new LVDS, and thread it back through the hole and connected it to the main board.

From there, I put all of my screws back together (probably 100 total), and then fired it up.

IT WORKED. The $21 cable fixed the problem and everything works perfectly again!

Overall it took about an hour and a half to disassemble, put in the new cord, and re-assemble. Not too bad. It's not a HARD fix, but it's one that requires you to remove a LOT of screws to get to this cable. Like I said, I'd never done anything like this before but I was able to do it without any major issues.

SO - if your Vizio TV ends up showing green "snow" on black colors, and pink "snow" on white colors - replace the LVDS cable. It fixed my problem!

Thanks to everyone in this thread who narrowed it down to this issue.
post #27 of 49 Old 09-09-2010, 06:49 PM

Replacing the LVDS cable worked for me.

I bought a 42" Vizio from Costco about 1.5 years ago. Costco offers a 2 year warranty on the TVs they sell. I decided to buy a $21 cable based on the positive results from this forum vs. mess around with adjusting my schedule to have some stranger in my house.

My TV, model# VS420LF1A started getting the green screen about 6 months ago. I adjusted some settings in the menu which helped but didn't eliminate the green screen. Then I "googled" the problem a couple weeks ago and found this site. It turns out this site hit the nail on the head. I went to "vizparts.com" and searched through their Vizio LVDS cables but didn't find an exact model match (or serial number for that matter) so I ordered the closest thing and submitted my actual model# and serial# in the order form. Vizparts.com found the cable I needed, changed my order, and sent me the correct cable. Total cost was just under $21. The cable I took out of the TV had the same part# as the cable that vizparts.com sent me. I found ONE other site "shopjimmy.com" that showed some potential. I did not find any other sites that looked promising.

NOTE: The screws with fine threads go into the holes with metal. The screws with coarse threads go into holes with plastic. If in doubt, bag all the common screws and label each bag.

Once you remove the obvious screws to get the back panel off the TV (and the wall mount brackets if you have them) you will eventually find the LVDS cable buried under a couple different metal panels. PAY ATTENTION TO WHICH WAY THE CABLES ARE ATTACHED AT BOTH ENDS BEFORE REMOVING THE CABLE. The first panel which houses all the connectors that you would plug in the HDMI, RGA, and coax cables is at one end of the cable. I removed all the obvious screws and this panel still would not lift off so I gingerly bent the panel up to remove one end of the LVDS cable. I'm sure TV repair dudes are cringing at this point but it worked for me. Just don't bend that panel up very var as it is putting strain/stress on the circuit board underneath. The other end of the cable was at the "top" of the TV and I ended up having to remove about 12 more screws and release 4 plastic tabs to allow a fairly large metal "plate" to be raised up and get the old cable out. That cable is taped under that large metal plate so don't try to release both ends of the cable and pull it out.....I don't think that will work because the tape is strong/sticky.

Reverse the steps to get the TV back together. If you have the screws labled this will be fairly painless. My TV worked fine first try but I went into the menu and reset the TV to factory defaults. It still worked fine.

Thank you AVSFORUM!
post #28 of 49 Old 10-17-2010, 03:44 PM

thank you all so much. i had a solid green screen and tried one suggestion to reset the cable and it worked. thank you, thank you, thank you!
post #29 of 49 Old 11-08-2010, 09:38 AM

Thanks to all for the specific comments on how to fix the "green screen" on my vizio. I spoke with someone from vizparts.com and they recommended that I replace three lvds cords. Total cost was around $50. I removed a lot of screws (paying attention to the different types - placed them in separate bags, confirmed the parts no. on each cord, and replaced them. The first visible cord was quite easy to replace. The last two are under a large panel. I only removed the screws from the side of the panel where the cords are threaded through to attach to a control board. Replaced screws and the TV is working great!
post #30 of 49 Old 11-14-2010, 02:55 PM

TV model:vizio vo47l fhdtv30a
Hi. I had the same screen problem with green pixeks replacing some shades of gray / black. I did noticed that the problem was fixed after opening the TV and putting it back together. I even tried watching TV without the back cover. I used a stick to poke at parts to find the "loose" one. Once closed, the green would come back in a few hours of use. After some examination of the hardware and thought in the problem, I decided to put back the TV but without the mainboard metal cover. The TV has been fine for over a week now. LVDS cables do not fuse to my knowledge. Hope this helps.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page