Sharp 26" LCD/DVD combo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-18-2007, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I've done a search for this but nothing turns up. I saw this in Sears, and Best Buy shows them online. Anyone have any experience with these? Looking for a bedroom TV and the DVD player would be a nice addition since it would be mounted on the wall. Satellite would come in through the wall from the living room from a multi-room STB with RF remote.

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-18-2007, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My brother has a 26" sharp but it doesn't have the DVD drive. However we saw the one with the DVD drive in it and it appeared to be the same set.

It has very nice color and is used primarily for gaming (PS3), the 6 ms response time is very good.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-25-2007, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Beverage View Post

I've done a search for this but nothing turns up. I saw this in Sears, and Best Buy shows them online. Anyone have any experience with these? Looking for a bedroom TV and the DVD player would be a nice addition since it would be mounted on the wall. Satellite would come in through the wall from the living room from a multi-room STB with RF remote.

I purchased the Sharp TV/DVD combo at Sears on 6-16-2007 for $689. Returned it on 6-21-2007, because it was completely unsatisfactory. Low, low sound, poor choice of aspect ratios in SD, long time to come on after turn on, limited menu, etc. The bummer to this whole story, is that Sears charged me a 15% restocking fee of $104. Word of advice, do NOT buy any electronics from Sears. This is the first time I have ever been charged a restocking fee. The Sharp unit was so unsatisfactory for me that I ate the $104 charge, went to another store & upgraded to a Sharp LC-26D43U LCD Tv (no DVD combo). Read the good writeup in Cnet today, where they reviewed the Sharp LC-32D43U unit, same family, but different size. I also bought the Samsung DVD-HD1087P upscaling DVD player. Note this is not a HD player, it just upscales the signal. The LC-26D43U is great, better menu, better sound, no warmup, etc. I am happy I made the change. I have not hooked up the DVD player yet, because the HDMI cable is on order. This is the way I should have gone in the first place, instead of buying a combo unit. Hope this helps you in your decision making.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-25-2007, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Appreciate the input on the Sharp (and Sears). Really want a DVD combo and no bigger that 26" for intended use/space. Westinghouse and Toshiba have units like this. Anyone have any experience with them?

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #5 of 7 Old 06-25-2007, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronr48 View Post

I purchased the Sharp TV/DVD combo at Sears on 6-16-2007 for $689. Returned it on 6-21-2007, because it was completely unsatisfactory. Low, low sound, poor choice of aspect ratios in SD, long time to come on after turn on, limited menu, etc. The bummer to this whole story, is that Sears charged me a 15% restocking fee of $104. Word of advice, do NOT buy any electronics from Sears. This is the first time I have ever been charged a restocking fee. The Sharp unit was so unsatisfactory for me that I ate the $104 charge, went to another store & upgraded to a Sharp LC-26D43U LCD Tv (no DVD combo). Read the good writeup in Cnet today, where they reviewed the Sharp LC-32D43U unit, same family, but different size. I also bought the Samsung DVD-HD1087P upscaling DVD player. Note this is not a HD player, it just upscales the signal. The LC-26D43U is great, better menu, better sound, no warmup, etc. I am happy I made the change. I have not hooked up the DVD player yet, because the HDMI cable is on order. This is the way I should have gone in the first place, instead of buying a combo unit. Hope this helps you in your decision making.

The restocking fee is not charged if the set is malfunctionning, only if the customer simply changes their mind. Many customers claim a non-existent or intermittent malfunction in order to avoid the fee, and invariably succeed; I applaud your honesty.

I work in the electronics dept. of a large Sears store. We are instructed to make sure the customer is aware of this restocking fee, it's printed on the receipt and we are required to circle the printed statement of the policy in the presence of the customer at time of sale. If you were not made aware of this policy at the time of sale you should have asked to see a manager and explained this and it most probably would not have been imposed.

At the particular store I work at, many items like $29 dvd players are returned simply because the customer ran out of ready cash and needs to get a pizza and a sixpack, or because their kid stomped on it and destroyed it. In the past there was a severe problem with people purchasing $3k big screen tvs in time for the Superbowl and returning them the week afterwards, and we still see this happening from time to time. Then you have the people who want to do an in-home demo of a variety of sets before making a final choice, leaving a trail of heavily discounted open-box tvs in thier wake and raising prices for the rest of us--these forums are infested with these clowns.

It is unfortunate that some retailers have found it necessary to take steps to avoid abuse of formerly liberal return policies, but it's not just Sears doing it as evidenced by Costco's recent change to a 90 day return on tvs.

Many times issues with sets that make them unsatisfactory can be discovered in the store prior to purchase, but not always. Without access to the remote you had no way of checking out the menu feaures and some of your other complaints and in stores the remote is not always available to check these things out.

I am not by any means trying to lump you in with the return policy abusers, you are not one of them but you are indirectly one of their victims.

Steve S.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-25-2007, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Beverage View Post

Appreciate the input on the Sharp (and Sears). Really want a DVD combo and no bigger that 26" for intended use/space. Westinghouse and Toshiba have units like this. Anyone have any experience with them?

Combo units are not good for serious or critical viewing. They combine the lowest quality tv in the maker's line with a cheap dvd player and are mostly suitable for a child's room or use in an RV where space is at a premium and the buyer is not concerned with getting the best pq. The dvd drive will invariably fail long before the tv part, and you'll either have to go without the whole unit while it's being repaired (if repair is even possible or economically feasible) or buy a separate dvd player anyway. These units often have fewer inputs than standalone sets.

Steve S.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-26-2007, 02:23 PM

I have the 26" Sharp LCD with DVD for my bedroom. It's ... ok. Very convenient having the built-in DVD player, but the picture quality is not the best - motion blur is noticeable when watching basketball games, for example. If you're going to be watching more pedestrian, non-sports program, it may be a better match than if you are going to be watching a lot of sports.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page