Just got a ilo 42" LCD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-12-2007, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I just baught a 42" ilo lcd (LCT42HA36) from walmart. The reason I got it is my girlfriend was saying how she doesn't like it when our roommate is playing his 360 on his 50" rca dlp in the living room and I'm playing my 360 on our 50" samsung dlp in our bedroom leaving her with no tv to use. So I told her I would get another tv soon for the living room and my roommate would move his tv to his bedroom. ANYWAYS... and I figured it was too good a deal to pass up, plus it would please my better half. However upon getting it home and hooking it up I noticed a few things so far that I don't like. The first being I can't program my DVR remote to control the TV, minor but it still makes me mad. Second and more major, at just above the bottom left corner on the edge (as well as a few other places around the edges) it is much brighter than the rest of the display which is very noticable anytime the screen is black or very dark. Is there anything I can do to fix that? And third, and this is more of a question/worry but I have a third 360 comming my way in about 3 months that I plan to hook up to the tv to double as a DVD/HD DVD player and I was wondering if this TV will beable to handle gaming and movies ok? The reason I ask is because it only has a 90 day warranty and I might not be able to test HD DVD's on it before that expires.

So basically is this TV a good deal for or should I have gotten something else? Would the 2 year walmart warranty be a good idea on this (it's like $60 I think)? Can I fix the brightness at the edges? And will it be ok for movies/gaming? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did try searching for more info on the ilo but there really isn't too much out there. So again if anyone here owns one or knows about it I would really value what you have to say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-12-2007, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
You get what you pay for, take that POS back and get a better tv. I'd much rather have a smaller tv of high quality than an inferior larger screen. When I look at the Ilo, Element, Akai, Insignia, Soyo, Sanyo, RCA, Magnavox, or some other budget brands I just don't see how anyone buys them. There are some decent budget brands, Olevia, Westinghouse, Vizio and Maxent come to mind. Do yourself a favor and look at other brands.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-13-2007, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Most of the more recent iLo stuff has been pretty crappy. I bought an iLo 3200 over a year and a half ago. Has always been decent to me with the exception of the clock gaining time (has been that way since day one). The backlight uniformity and total lack of flashlighting (brightness in corners or spots as you're seeing) actually make me happy that I chose it, most stuff out there today is much worse in either respect. It all depends on who they're sourcing stuff from. I'm sure there weren't many 32 inch panels they could source from back in 2005, so what they got was probably halfway decent, get an excellent viewing angle and good overall performance. Problem is what held true then doesn't hold true now. 32 inch panels are much more commonplace and hence it's probably easy to make a cheaper junkier set then it was a back then.

Since then they seem to have been on a downward progressive spiral however. The earliest weren't half bad, but the sucessors have been pretty much junk. The iLo 32HDs which were the sucessor to the 3200 and subsequent ones have motherboard issues and a few months down the road it no longer can switch sources, adjust the volume etc. These were Initial sourced sets in various sizes. Some however were sourced by other companies (such as whoever is making the Akais in the 32/26 inch size range). The 42 you have seems to have issues with the sound however if its working now you're probably in good shape. I've not heard of many other complaints about it.

The 42 inch Plasmas were all over the board, the very early ones (Mexican assembly) were OK, then the Tatungs followed and they were pretty unreliable thereafter.

I'd just as soon take it back. Even if they're charging what they're charging around here I'd still avoid it, there are decent sets for not much more. If you got an insanely good deal then you put up with its flaws (I know such deals are out there, two of my HD sets came from deals that were almost too good to be true). So don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my iLo, but today's iLo isn't the same as yesterday's, and tomorrows will probably be entirely different again, all depends on who they're sourcing it from.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-13-2007, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your input. I will probably take it back, the more I use it the less I like it.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-10-2008, 02:40 PM

I bought a 42 inch ILO last year from Walmart. I am retired and price was the over riding reason for selecting this TV. It cost me $700. This is still a very good price.

I found several issues with the TV and chose to fix them myself rather than return the unit. I just did not have the money to buy the more expensive TVs.

The first problem I had was that the sound out was not variable. I have this TV hooked to an amplifier and 4 large speakers. I was forced to use the stereo remote to adjust sound.

The fix: I went to ebay and bought a $10 transformer that hooked to the speakers inside the TV and then gives you a line output. This is easily done if you have any experience with moding.

Second problem: I discovered that this TV will make a buzzing sound when it is first turned on and is cold. In the upper peninsula winters, our tv room gets cold.

The fix: None at this time. I just leave the set on for a few seconds and it warms up and the problem disappears.

Third problem: When our tv room gets nice and toasty and the TV has been on a couple of hours, the picture will begin to show unpleasant looking artifacts in the dark areas of the picture.

The fix: I installed two muffins fans on the plastic rear cover. These were 12 volt low volume fans. These were mounted over the areas of the TV that got quite warm while powered up. I discovered these areas by running the tv set with the rear removed for several days. You cannot just use screws to mount these fans. They will make too much noise if they are mechanically coupled to the TV. I finally bought some foam insulation tape from Kmart. One side was sticky. I put this tape around each fan hole. I then drilled two holes in the plastic cover the matched up to the screw holes in the fans. I used those little girl stretchable hair loop thingies to fasten the fans in place. I simply put a tie wrap through these thingies. (bear with me, I don't know the name of these things). I threaded one end of the thingies through the back case and through the fans. I then pulled them over and tie wrapped them to the next over fan mounting hole. This made a nice snug fit without any hard connection. These fans were ball bearing fans and the only noise they make now is simply the sound of the air blowing. They are VERY quiet. I ran small speaker wire inside the back cover to supply the 12 volts and fastened it in place with duct tape. The wire comes out the rear bottom of the set. I just used an outlet strip that powers up my stereo, room lamp, DVD recorder, and 12 volt wall wart when I turn on the TV.

If anyone still has a 42 inch ILO and wants to do these mods, I could send pictures. If you keep your 42 ILO I strongly recommend the fan mod because I believe the life span of this TV will be short if it is always run hot. My wife and I really enjoy movies and this set has a very nice picture. We sit close to the TV and so it provides us with a large screen experience with nice bass from four 12 inch woofers.

The fans were four bucks a pieces from All Electronics on the web. We have a nice movie experience on the cheap. I see similar sets now selling at Walmart for over a thousand dollars.

It was a poor design, but is fixable.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-27-2009, 02:20 AM
efx

Hi. I know your postings were a while back. I recently got this TV donated to me and well, it won't turn on. I think I may have a bad power supply but everything looks seems okay. I was wondering how is your 42 plasma holding after all this time and if you are still on the forum, can you post those pictures of the fans and how you got that other transformer connected. I would love to see them if I can ever get this thing working since I know it's no longer around. I have been searching and reading all day, but can barely find anything other than how bad these things were. Thanks.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-27-2009, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

I'd much rather have a smaller tv of high quality than an inferior larger screen.

I don't necessarily disagree, but that statement certainly differs from most advice given in this AVS forum....time and time again, people advise to buy big, by dropping down in the model number, and/or the manufacturer. But then again, I never thought of Vizio as a good brand name and look at em now.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-27-2009, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekruyter View Post

I don't necessarily disagree, but that statement certainly differs from most advice given in this AVS forum....time and time again, people advise to buy big, by dropping down in the model number, and/or the manufacturer. But then again, I never thought of Vizio as a good brand name and look at em now.

i disagree, anyone who makes the comment bigger is better is right but they should also be pointing out that bigger is better as long as you stick with a major brand name and not go with a 3rd tier brand

i've never seen anyone say get the RCA 42" over a samsung 37" etc that would be retarded

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
post #9 of 12 Old 12-27-2009, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post

i disagree, anyone who makes the comment bigger is better is right but they should also be pointing out that bigger is better as long as you stick with a major brand name and not go with a 3rd tier brand

i've never seen anyone say get the RCA 42" over a samsung 37" etc that would be retarded

^^^^This^^^^
Go large, just stick with a major brand. Even the "bottom of the line" name brand sets are look good, unless you watch a lot of 1080p content. For the average user over 50% of what is displayed is SD anyways. If you watch for sales you can pick up a bottom of the line LCD from a major brand for about what a 3rd tier TV costs. The key is you have to be willing to wait for the right deal, I waited over 2yrs for my 1st flat screen but managed to pick up an LG 42" for $449.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-01-2010, 04:16 PM
efx

Since I think it's the power supply, I don't see any obvious signs of anything burning, so what should I check on this power supply. I may need to find some resistors just to make sure these caps aren't loaded. So the problem with this thing is that it just clicks but nothing shows. Although the front LED is on. It had a blown fuse on one of the other boards and I changed it. I then turned it back on, but still nothing. The fuse hasn't blown again so I know it has something to do with the power board or whatever they call it. Same as the samsung LCD's but I see no obvious burnt up caps, resistors or anything burned on the board.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #11 of 12 Old 01-01-2010, 04:17 PM
efx

Unfortunately we are only allowed to update 5 pictures at a time! And please, the suggestions as to what's better or worst are irrelevant at this point. It's what someone donated to me so I'm trying to see if I can get it going again. Also the model on the actual panel is LG, so I wouldn't mind trying to get this to show something again if anyone can offer some guidance. Thanks.
LL
post #12 of 12 Old 07-12-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post

Since I think it's the power supply, I don't see any obvious signs of anything burning, so what should I check on this power supply. I may need to find some resistors just to make sure these caps aren't loaded. So the problem with this thing is that it just clicks but nothing shows. Although the front LED is on. It had a blown fuse on one of the other boards and I changed it. I then turned it back on, but still nothing. The fuse hasn't blown again so I know it has something to do with the power board or whatever they call it. Same as the samsung LCD's but I see no obvious burnt up caps, resistors or anything burned on the board.

Check your Y board! I don't think it's your power supply. The click and LED being on shows that it powers up. Blown fuse was probably from your Y board.
LL
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays