Official Sony W3000 Series Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3238 Old 07-27-2007, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am using custom now. I adjusted the white balance and got rid of the yellow. Standard, Cinema, and Custom all have a yellow tint. not sure why. Vivid doesn't.

Also to TomBaker.
I am comparing to 46" sets side by side, the XBR3 and the W. The 3 definitely has more clarity on HD content, there is just more detail. On SD it is cleaner on the W, less noise but I think that is what is hurting the HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3238 Old 07-27-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombaker View Post

....The V3000 is significantly better than every other manufacturers current Sets...

[/b]

You just gotta love exaggerated, opinionated, unsupported statements like that. Especially when describing a set that has only been on the market for a matter of weeks and has not yet proven itself to be trouble free.

I have seen this set in the store right next to all of it's major competitors, and while it is definitely a nice set I hardly think it's accurate to describe it as "significantly better than every other manufacturers current Sets..."

Sheesh.
post #93 of 3238 Old 07-27-2007, 08:55 PM

Would you post the setting to get rid of yellow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY350Z View Post

I am using custom now. I adjusted the white balance and got rid of the yellow. Standard, Cinema, and Custom all have a yellow tint. not sure why. Vivid doesn't.

Also to TomBaker.
I am comparing to 46" sets side by side, the XBR3 and the W. The 3 definitely has more clarity on HD content, there is just more detail. On SD it is cleaner on the W, less noise but I think that is what is hurting the HD.

post #94 of 3238 Old 07-27-2007, 09:25 PM

Malikriz,

I will post my setting but I am not a calibration guy. What I have is pretty vivid but not as bad as the vivid mode. I figured now I have a place to start with the yellow gone. Also my power save is on low.

Here are my settings on Custom. Let me know if it gets rid of the yellow for you. I have Mission Impossible 3 on HD now and it looks pretty good. No yellow.

Backlight 7
Picture 91
Bright 52
Color 57
Hue 0
Color Temp Neutral
Black Corrector low or med depending on pref
Adv CE Med
Gamma Low
Clear white Low
Color space wide
Live Color Medium

White Balance
R Gain -4
G Gain -2
B Gain -1
R Bias -2
G Bias -2
B Bias -2
post #95 of 3238 Old 07-27-2007, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombaker View Post

The people going anal over clouding should get a grip. I have viewed V3000 and W3000 and S3000s there is no clouding issues. There could be an off angle problem with people using their magnifing glasses.

If clouding is your concern be assured you can get a replacement that has no problem....easy. The Clouding problem was an assembly issue with un even torquing of the panel to frame during manufacture. Its resolved.

I think you'll find lots of people in the clouding thread that will disagree with you. You are one person, looking at a few sets. You cannot make a general statement that there is no issue based on your one observation. To say that all the people with past issues were anal over their clouding, well, I think you'll see posts from them shortly. In the mean time, let's get more people to chime in with their observations before deciding that the issue is resolved or not.
post #96 of 3238 Old 07-28-2007, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY350Z View Post

Malikriz,

I will post my setting but I am not a calibration guy. What I have is pretty vivid but not as bad as the vivid mode. I figured now I have a place to start with the yellow gone. Also my power save is on low.

Here are my settings on Custom. Let me know if it gets rid of the yellow for you. I have Mission Impossible 3 on HD now and it looks pretty good. No yellow.

Backlight 7
Picture 91
Bright 52
Color 57
Hue 0
Color Temp Neutral
Black Corrector low or med depending on pref
Adv CE Med
Gamma Low
Clear white Low
Color space wide
Live Color Medium

White Balance
R Gain -4
G Gain -2
B Gain -1
R Bias -2
G Bias -2
B Bias -2

To NY350Z
Are you planning to return your tv?
post #97 of 3238 Old 07-28-2007, 03:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianYLan View Post

Exactly my position! I want to make sure that the V3000 and W3000 are as good as or better than the V2500 in HD, but my real criterion would be if they are better in SD. DRC MF V1.0 is supposed to give is that, but I'd like to see or read someone that has done this comparison.

Excellent post, thanks for your opinions. If price is not a consideration, would you recommed a V3000 or W3000? They both have DRC MF V1.0, so SD shouldn't be the difference maker. Only difference is HDMI 1.3, so I guess I'd like to hear your opinion on whether that is worth it.

I liked the picture better on the V3000 I watched over the W3000...but they were set far apart....and I could not watch both at the same time....could be a placebo effect of the darker frame of the V3000.

My guess is the if there was a dramatic jump in SD quality, georgeorwell, who had the set for some days would have mentioned it....but I don't want to speak for him...just guessing.

Because 300 bucks is 300 bucks....I would go V3000 if it was that or the W3000, if price is no consideration at all....I would wait to see the XBR and the new Samsung LED lighting models.
post #98 of 3238 Old 07-28-2007, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post

I think you'll find lots of people in the clouding thread that will disagree with you. You are one person, looking at a few sets. You cannot make a general statement that there is no issue based on your one observation. To say that all the people with past issues were anal over their clouding, well, I think you'll see posts from them shortly. In the mean time, let's get more people to chime in with their observations before deciding that the issue is resolved or not.

You are miss-reading me. I am talking only the W3000 and V3000. I am not talking about historical problems, or their impact to any owners there. Your reading of my posting is simply an error on your part.

When I mean anal...is we are talking a new product, with a 30 day return policy. If Clouds exist, which so far has been seen by 1 person of many samples, return the TV. Clouds, real clouds and not minor variations, are a manufacturing defect. As I have said before I believe its from improper assembly with the pneumatic screwdrivers unevenly torquing the screws down. To sink the panel right you need to use a pattern and snug first....before the final twists. Bottomline if someone buys a W3000 or V or S.....and they see defects....return the set.

All indications are the problem is fixed. But asking someone on a message board if they think clouds are an issue...is going overboard. We know that a good percentage of W and Vs don't have clouds....and we know they don't suddenly appear....we know they are there from the start....or are not their......its not a sickness that comes....like a plasma gas leak.

There is not going to be a vote or some sort of consensus if the problem is there or not.....and any LCD can be assembled wrong....its going to be a quality control thing. The prior Sony design had weaknesses and there was a learning curve on the assembly floor....I think both those issues are resolved with the new designs.

But I really don't count....people should look at the sets at the showrooms...everyone should be close to a SEARS or other. See the defects does not exist on the floor model....and if they want to buy it after they like the set.....when the get home if the screen is defective return it.

If you get a Sony Bravia....the NEW GENERATIONs of S3000 V3000 and W3000....don't settle for a defective TV. Its really that simple.

I think people don't even know what clouds are by the comments.......here is a picture of a problem TV.

and again here is an expected display vs a problem one.....if your screen looks like the bottom one....you don't have problem..... and just to be clear....there are people that are being anal when call the lower TV out as being clouded.

and here is another defective screen.....if you bought this new...would you keep it???? Of course not

NOW COMPARE THOSE TO WHAT WE HAVE FOR THE W3000

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post11127044
post #99 of 3238 Old 07-28-2007, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post

While clouding has been evident the poster was correct in his statement as to the primary cause and resolution. We in fact have a member on this forum that spent 15 years working in the field that diagnosed it's cause and effect and it's exactly as the poster stated. No one is in denial of the fact it existed but we need to objectively view whatever follows and give credit where it's due when a resolution is provided.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #100 of 3238 Old 07-28-2007, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post

You just gotta love exaggerated, opinionated, unsupported statements like that. Especially when describing a set that has only been on the market for a matter of weeks and has not yet proven itself to be trouble free.

I have seen this set in the store right next to all of it's major competitors, and while it is definitely a nice set I hardly think it's accurate to describe it as "significantly better than every other manufacturers current Sets..."

Sheesh.

well you forgot to quote why I said significant....and that was....you can see the difference. Seeing the difference is why I said significant.

The Sony has better color and facial reproductions. Jay Leno does not look like a talking Pumpkin for example. Sony has has better sound, a better picture....better whites, no crushed blacks like the xx65F.

If you think there is a better LCD than the Sony's then say it....name them...if you not going to do that in your critique of what I said....then what really is your point? Seems very very dull indeed.

I am saying the Sony is better visibly than the Samsungs, Toshibas, LGs, and Sharps....etc. Picture quality is all that counts. Look at a bunch of LCDs on the wall and which is the best TV than jumps out......I am saying its Sony....and is CLEARLY the Sony. Sony is holding the top ground on Picture quality...objectively and subjectively. But please, really, forums are for stating ones opinions...you should not be shocked to read one.

Name the better TV of which you speak.
post #101 of 3238 Old 07-28-2007, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

While clouding has been evident the poster was correct in his statement as to the primary cause and resolution. We in fact have a member on this forum that spent 15 years working in the field that diagnosed it's cause and effect and it's exactly as the poster stated. No one is in denial of the fact it existed but we need to objectively view whatever follows and give credit where it's due when a resolution is provided.

Exactly, give credit where it is due when a resolution is provided. Let's get the new sets in the marketplace longer than one week and more than 5 people reviewing them before we all decide that Sony has a win here.
post #102 of 3238 Old 07-28-2007, 07:21 AM

leetye62,

Yes, I think I will be returning the set due to the clarity. Vivid has the best picture, it has the most detail. I think the DRC is doing something to clean things up on Std and custom. I have custom looking pretty good but no matter what I do I can't get the detail that I have on vivid. That bothers me.

You can only adjust the DRC on a 480 signal but on the XBR3 and the 4 that is coming out you can adjust it on 720 or 1080. I am thinking that will help as it does on my XBR3.
post #103 of 3238 Old 07-28-2007, 09:51 AM

I saw the 40" W at Fry's yesterday. While their feed was so-so, it was next to a plasma and seemed to have just as good clarity with motion.
The best analogy I can come up with to describe the shininess of the frame is "egg shell" (slight gloss).
Back when we were buying interior paint, the choices were:
Flat (Sony V25)
Egg Shell (Sony W)
Semi Gloss
Gloss (Samsung and Sharp)
I hope this analogy helps in describing how shiny the frame is compared to others.
post #104 of 3238 Old 07-28-2007, 12:51 PM

I just saw the V3000 and W3000 next to each other at Circuit City and It looked to me that the V was a hair sharper than the W. Is it really worth the extra $200? I would like to get the W but I still cant decide which looks better.
post #105 of 3238 Old 07-28-2007, 01:23 PM

Why is the V sharper? That is weird. Why would that be.
post #106 of 3238 Old 07-28-2007, 02:05 PM

not sure, they were both being feed BD but the V seemed to have a cleaner picture.
post #107 of 3238 Old 07-28-2007, 03:00 PM

I dont find the W to be sharp at all. Vivid is the only setting where it is sharp.

The W is going back but I dont know if I should keep my XBR3 or get the XBR4 when it comes out.
post #108 of 3238 Old 07-28-2007, 03:38 PM

It has to be the DRC making the W not as clear. I was just changing the DRC mode on the XBR on 1080 and when I turn it off it looks like the W but when I put it back on Mode 1 it has all the detail that the W is lacking. DRC mode 1 is where I have always had the XBR set. You see more detail in peoples faces like this.
post #109 of 3238 Old 07-28-2007, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIM5804 View Post

I just saw the V3000 and W3000 next to each other at Circuit City and It looked to me that the V was a hair sharper than the W. Is it really worth the extra $200? I would like to get the W but I still cant decide which looks better.

Agree....I saw the same....V was slightly sharper....and the semi-gloss would not be an issue IMO for heavy lighted rooms
post #110 of 3238 Old 07-28-2007, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I saw the 46V and 46W at Frys today. I didn't even try to determine picture differences, I think it is futile in a store setting with feeds. They had all the Sony 46"ers in a row. the v2500, V3, W3, XBR2.
So all I did was compare cabinets.
I love the overall smaller shell of the new V and W, makes the floaty XBRs look monstrous and overdone. even the V2500 looked bulky.
The V3000 is shiny black plastic, I wish it were matte black. The W3000 is a medium metallic gunmetal and so is the pedestal. It's nice but I want flat black.
The XBR4 will be matte but with the cheap silver trim and I don't like the float look.
I also hate to see the swivel gone from all 46". The V2500 is the last to have it. I usethe swivel a lot on my 40XBR1.
Also the new menu systems are not that great. Why is Sony playing it so downlow on these sets. The pricey new XBRs should offer a fresh look IMO. Kinda disappointed overall. I know the picture is more important biut for thousands of $ I wanted more.
post #111 of 3238 Old 07-29-2007, 12:18 PM

Wow, I thought that the 46W3000 would be the clear winner when compared to the 46XBR2. Is the 46XBR2 sharper than the 46W3000? Is it the DRC mode? I can get both for around the same price, is the 46W3000 the clear winner? Both would be a pretty big upgrade from my 37" 720p Olevia HDTV.
post #112 of 3238 Old 07-29-2007, 12:37 PM

I think, W3000 is an excellent TV. NO CLOUDING so far.
If you have more $$$ to burn then go for XBR4/5.
post #113 of 3238 Old 07-29-2007, 01:03 PM

malikriz,

Did you try changing your settings?>
post #114 of 3238 Old 07-29-2007, 02:44 PM

I really want to see the XBR4, the other 120hz sets i have seen (D92U and LX177) all have a soft image. I looked at the V and W 3000s and have been impressed over the 2500 (all 3 are very crisp and clear) but there is no denying that the 120hz makes a difference in motion. I think it may come down to what you prefer sharp clean image or smooth motion. At this stage i am leaning to clean image. I personally really like the sonys new menu system it is just like the PS3 so it is very familiar to me.
post #115 of 3238 Old 07-29-2007, 03:33 PM

I have heard from a source, very recently that the W does run at 120hz, just that they don't advertise it as such to get more peeps buying XBR models 4 & 5. is this even possible?

It's all about 1080P/24 & HD audio
Toshiba HD-XA2
Panasonic DMP-BD30K
Sony KDL-40XBR4
Elite VSX-92TXH (w/7.1)
post #116 of 3238 Old 07-29-2007, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordong11 View Post

I have heard from a source, very recently that the W does run at 120hz, just that they don't advertise it as such to get more peeps buying XBR models 4 & 5. is this even possible?

You know I think Sony really needs to clairfy this....if anyone from Sony is looking....how about doing a Press Release stating....WE ARE NOW SHIPPING. Then after the normal its better than sliced bread text......clearly define what the specification are.

As of today the entire Cinema 24p thing is confusing....and the visable differences of the W and V should be clarified.....the V is sharper in 1080i
post #117 of 3238 Old 07-29-2007, 07:33 PM

Gordong, I hope that source is not trying to sell you a Sony TV. Don't expect to get Motion Flow on a W. Sony makes you pay for the use of the latest and greatest.
post #118 of 3238 Old 07-29-2007, 08:41 PM

NY350Z,

I did tried the setting and it made differecne. The picture was close to Vivid in custom mode with ur settings.

Wife is asking me to buy 40V2500 right now and then move that in bed room in December and then buy the 46 XBR4 for living room as by that time everything will be clear which one is the better one (Samsung 81, Sony XBR4 or Ws and ofcourse the prices will come down). Liked that idea and thinking about to get the 40V2500 or LNT4065 right now.
post #119 of 3238 Old 07-29-2007, 09:50 PM

It's a CLOUDY day in Miami!

I just purchased the 46W3000 for my bedroom, and was very excited until I turned the TV on and saw the cursed clouds everyone talks about. The cloud patches are very large and can easily be seen when changing inputs or channels, however, I have not noticed them during regular programming. I am very dissapointed, since the TV on display in the store had very even backlighting.

I will be returning this TV tomorrow for another unit.
post #120 of 3238 Old 07-29-2007, 11:00 PM

When using the new menu style XBR, does the XBR menu show up on screen while still showing the TV image at the same time, or does it take you to a black screen away from the TV image?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Sa W3000 Subwoofer Each Black
Gear in this thread - W3000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page