I Don't Know if this is the right place.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-24-2007, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to buy my first HDTV and was wondering, what exactly is an HD Tuner. On Sites that I've been looking some Tv's have them, some don't. I think I have an idea what it is though. I don't think one would be of any use to me because I do not pay for HD recpeption, is this right. If I do get a TV w/o a tuner, will I still get channels that are broadcasted in HD on my set? Thanks!

Please, if this is the wrong place, can you move it instead of deleting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-24-2007, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
A built in digital tuner is required to get HD channels unless you have an HD cable box or HD satellite receiver, or purchase an external digital "over the air" tuner box. "Over the air" refers reception of local broadcasts using an antenna.

All sets made or imported into the US after March of 07 that have standard tv tuners are also required to have digital tuners. Some sets are designated as monitors and thus have no tuners at all in them.

If you want HD without having to pay for it you need a set with an internal ATSC tuner and an antenna, or a "Monitor" and an external local OTA tuner box.

So basically you've got it backwards--if you want free HD you need a set with a tuner, if you pay for HD from Satellite or Cable, you will be using an external tuner provided by the cable or satellite company. The only exception is if you are already paying for standard cable and do not use a cable box. In this case if you purchase a set with a QAM digital tuner in addition to the OTA digital tuner you will be able to tune the HD feeds of the local broadcast stations in your area without an external box as these are required by the FCC to be carried on the Basic tier without scrambling. Any additional HD channels like Discovery HD or ESPN-HD will require you to get an HD cable box and pay an additional fee.

Steve S.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-24-2007, 02:20 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

. In this case if you purchase a set with a QAM digital tuner in addition to the OTA digital tuner you will be able to tune the HD feeds of the local broadcast stations in your area without an external box as these are required by the FCC to be carried on the Basic tier without scrambling. .

Try telling that to BrightHouse Networks a division of Time Warner
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page