post #91 of 112 Old 11-29-2008, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk.secret23 View Post

What about HDMI cables? Apparently Monoprice sells some 'in-wall' cables. I didnt buy it because it was a couple dollars more expensive

Do I need those in wall certified cables or is my cables alright? I bought the "28AWG HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified Male to Male Cables"

the talk has been about electrical safety concerns of the power cord cable, which would not be a factor with hdmi cables. about male to male cables, i think that is a personal matter that is best discussed in another forum.

TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 112 Old 11-29-2008, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Wow, is this the only cheapest solution? I'm so dead broke, a hundred dollars is a lot to me!

bk.secret, FYI I found the Powerbridge kit for $39, and it came with the inwall connect boxes you have to have.
Another thread posted this link http://www.powerbridgesolution.com/avsspecialorder.html some special for AVS members. I bought 2, one for my TV and another for my subwoofer to plug into my Tripplite power conditioner.

hope you see this before ordering a $100 kit.
post #93 of 112 Old 11-30-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avnuttyguy View Post

bk.secret, FYI I found the Powerbridge kit for $39, and it came with the inwall connect boxes you have to have.
Another thread posted this link http://www.powerbridgesolution.com/avsspecialorder.html some special for AVS members. I bought 2, one for my TV and another for my subwoofer to plug into my Tripplite power conditioner.

Thank you very much! But wow, the shipping rates are incredibly high.
post #94 of 112 Old 11-30-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post

check out monoprice
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

plus you can run your video cables too

i would use nm (romex) to connect the inlet/outlet.

Yep, that's the way I went. Just gotta buy some romex and a couple of outlet boxes (for existing structure) at your local hardware store for a few extra bucks. Comes with the templates for cutout and went much smoother than I expected. Probably took just over and hour for install.
post #95 of 112 Old 11-30-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:

Thank you very much! But wow, the shipping rates are incredibly high.

bk.secret, Your welcome, didn't realize you already ordered. I just checked the PowerBridge shipping for FEDEX is only $8.95, for 1-2 units, that seems very reasonable to me.
post #96 of 112 Old 12-01-2008, 09:27 PM

I had to pay for Canada International which was $25 S/H
post #97 of 112 Old 12-02-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:

I had to pay for Canada International which was $25 S/H

I only had to pay the $8.95 to ship here in Oregon, but I hear you. I have an old friend who lives in B.C. and it's always crazy expensive to ship to Canada,,, that reminds me I need to send out her Christmas present! Last year it cost as much to send a bunch of DVDs and pictures than the DVDs cost!

Good luck up there in the Great North this winter!
post #98 of 112 Old 12-08-2008, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
yaaaay.
post #99 of 112 Old 12-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

check out monoprice
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

plus you can run your video cables too

i would use nm (romex) to connect the inlet/outlet.

Ahh..isn't anyone a bit concerned with emf running AC right next to your AV cables? I mean hdmi/digital would be ok but I'd stay away from analog audio/video runs that close.

Derek
post #100 of 112 Old 12-11-2008, 06:21 AM

Thanks for the suggestions
post #101 of 112 Old 12-11-2008, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post

Ahh..isn't anyone a bit concerned with emf running AC right next to your AV cables? I mean hdmi/digital would be ok but I'd stay away from analog audio/video runs that close.

how would you shield them ?

TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
post #102 of 112 Old 12-11-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avnuttyguy View Post

I have mounted my LCD on the wall and am in the process of running all of the cables through the wall. Honestly, I hadn't given any thought to the power cord issue until I found this thread. For peace of mind I have decided to go with the Powerbridge kit. Unfortunately, I ordered it before seeing this post and paid $69.99 for the kit. Once I was aware of the AVS discount I shot off a quick e-mail and they immediately replied and are crediting me for the difference in price. Great customer service! Now I can look forward to installing this kit and not worrying about the power cord.
post #103 of 112 Old 12-16-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1 View Post

I have mounted my LCD on the wall and am in the process of running all of the cables through the wall. Honestly, I hadn't given any thought to the power cord issue until I found this thread. For peace of mind I have decided to go with the Powerbridge kit. Unfortunately, I ordered it before seeing this post and paid $69.99 for the kit. Once I was aware of the AVS discount I shot off a quick e-mail and they immediately replied and are crediting me for the difference in price. Great customer service! Now I can look forward to installing this kit and not worrying about the power cord.

Glad you saw the post and saved $30.00. It's nice when the sponsers of this site offer special deals like this, it was the first reason I joined here. Nice to hear some companies still have great service like that, but I suppose it would be stupid not to with the crappy economy.
post #104 of 112 Old 12-17-2008, 11:08 AM

How does one get the discount????
post #105 of 112 Old 12-17-2008, 11:42 AM

Great Thread on an important topic!

I help people buy homes and I've started to see a lot of AC extension cords in walls with flat screen TVs. And since I represent the buyers, I get to tell them that that nice flat screen TV that the seller is offering with the house has wiring that looks like it is unsafe.

That Powerbridge is nice.

One issue with the Monoprice powerkit - it looks like the actual power connections are not enclosed in an electrical box. That is a problem. Any connections that are in a wall should always be enclosed in an electrical box. There should never be any joints or wire-nuts without a box around them. (Boxes come in both plastic and metal versions. The metal ones should be grounded also.)

Anybody else see a problem with that???
post #106 of 112 Old 12-17-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypuck25 View Post

How does one get the discount????

http://www.powerbridgesolution.com/avsspecialorder.html

No problem sharing, I found it from another thread, I bot 2, saved me $30 each.
Now I see they have new ones with a place for the cables to come through and some with HDMI and Component video jacks, pretty nice looking, didn't have those when I ordered mine last month. Has anyone ordered the new slim line powerbridge yet? I'd like to see how they look installed in the wall, no pictures on the website showing installation.
post #107 of 112 Old 03-21-2009, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if any of these kits or similar are available locally, like at HD/Lowes/Costco/Radio Shack, etc..? I was looking to install a display this weekend but could really use one of these to handle the power correctly?
post #108 of 112 Old 03-21-2009, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBoyd View Post

Great Thread on an important topic!

I help people buy homes and I've started to see a lot of AC extension cords in walls with flat screen TVs. And since I represent the buyers, I get to tell them that that nice flat screen TV that the seller is offering with the house has wiring that looks like it is unsafe.

That Powerbridge is nice.

One issue with the Monoprice powerkit - it looks like the actual power connections are not enclosed in an electrical box. That is a problem. Any connections that are in a wall should always be enclosed in an electrical box. There should never be any joints or wire-nuts without a box around them. (Boxes come in both plastic and metal versions. The metal ones should be grounded also.)

Anybody else see a problem with that???

Just like the other kits mentioned, you need to make a trip to the hardware store and purchase a blue new/old construction gang box. The powerbridge site had a good video explaining it all. It is the same with the monoprice kit.
post #109 of 112 Old 03-21-2009, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemav View Post

Does anyone know if any of these kits or similar are available locally, like at HD/Lowes/Costco/Radio Shack, etc..? I was looking to install a display this weekend but could really use one of these to handle the power correctly?

I was wondering the same thing, but I do not recall ever seeing this gear in their AV connection section. It would be worth a phone call, if you could even get them to understand what these units do.

I wish I would have known about these when I installed my FP, as I used the wall plate hoods and just ran the factory cord through the wall, as it was long enough to do it that way vs an extension cord, < 3' of the cord is in the wall. I don't forsee any problems, as the cord will probably outlast the TV. But I will be getting one of these when I install the FP in my bedroom due to electrical outlet placements.
post #110 of 112 Old 03-21-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemav View Post

Mike, I first looked for the different parts to do a Powerbridge myself too, problem is HD and lowes do not carry the main male input plug wall plate part, can't be sold separtely at retail I had someone tell me.
post #111 of 112 Old 08-15-2014, 04:51 PM

Liked: 0
Sorry to bump such an old thread. I'm considering buying one of these Power Bridge things, but I still can't quite understand why you can't buy an electrical extension cord that's made of literally the same material as the cable the power bridge uses, or romex, or any other cable that is permitted for use within walls, then simply pass that extension cable through a passthrough wall plate along with the AV cables? What's the difference?

Maybe there is more recent discussion of power/AV options that hide cables behind walls... if so, I apologize.
post #112 of 112 Old 08-16-2014, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by okbro View Post
Sorry to bump such an old thread. I'm considering buying one of these Power Bridge things, but I still can't quite understand why you can't buy an electrical extension cord that's made of literally the same material as the cable the power bridge uses, or romex, or any other cable that is permitted for use within walls, then simply pass that extension cable through a passthrough wall plate along with the AV cables? What's the difference?

Maybe there is more recent discussion of power/AV options that hide cables behind walls... if so, I apologize.

Don't know of any extension cord that's rated for in-wall use, which is why I used the Wiremold CMK-70 Power Cable kit. It made for a very easy install and includes everything needed. I also used HDMI cables rated (CL2) for in-wall use.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wiremold...1#tab=overview
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page