1920 x 1080 vs. 1366 x 768 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 08-01-2007, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so i'm looking for a good 42inch LCD HDTV and i came across two different resolution.. (wtf?) some HDTV has 1920 x 1080 resolution and some has 1366 x 768... i find it odd cause they are both 42inch LCD HDTV... so which one should i go for? it seems like a no brainer that i should go for the 1920 x 1080 but i'm not sure... this is my first time buy one... thanks alot for helping.

*also, which of the following brands would you suggest?

-Olevia
-Vizio
-Viewsonic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

The sets with 1920 x 1080 have about 2 millions pixels, while sets with 1366 x 768 have about 1 million pixels. If price is not a concern, 1920 x 1080 is the better set.

Olevia 42" 742i is a good set but the price is a little high and only available online; Target may have this model in stock.

Vizio 42" VU42LF is available only at Costco for now, GV42LF is available at Sears. If you don't have Sears card, open one will give you 10% discount.

I have VU42LF and happy with the PQ, given the price I paid about a month ago from Costco.
post #3 of 20 Old 08-01-2007, 10:52 PM

-Olevia
-Vizio

are 'disposable' just to let you know since you're new to HDTVs.

That means that they're USUALLY good value, but may be missing features that are found in the more prominent name brands (i.e. Sony, Samsung, Sharp, Panasonic, etc.). These are good tv's for for watching stuff like the news, weather channel, etc. - low profile viewing. That's not to say that they can't handle high-def movies or games, but they're primarily good at being budget tvs - like the one you would have in a college dorm room or your bedroom or kitchen, etc. To put it bluntly - I would never have a Vizio as my main tv (i.e. something like a 50 inch plasma) unless I was just STRAPPED for cash (BUT - that may be the boat you're in - so you'll have to work with what you've got )

The main problem with them and the thing to watch out for with brands like Vizio, Olevia, Insignia, Polaroid, etc. is the warranties and service - USUALLY after the warranty (1 year standard) expires, out of warranty service is a PITA. So if it breaks - you might as well buy a new t.v. because it will cost you as much to get your old one fixed. Thus, it is a 'disposable' t.v.

My advice - depending on your budget - get the best 'name brand' t.v. you can for the money. Try to get 1080P if possible, but if all you can get is 720 it's not a big deal since the only thing you'll really be missing out on is watching high def movies (i.e HD-DVD and Blu-Ray) in FULL high def. most broadcasts are in 720.

If you could give us a budget, we would be happy to suggest models for you to research
post #4 of 20 Old 08-02-2007, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben72227 View Post

-Olevia
-Vizio

are 'disposable' just to let you know since you're new to HDTVs.

That means that they're USUALLY good value, but may be missing features that are found in the more prominent name brands (i.e. Sony, Samsung, Sharp, Panasonic, etc.). These are good tv's for for watching stuff like the news, weather channel, etc. - low profile viewing. That's not to say that they can't handle high-def movies or games, but they're primarily good at being budget tvs - like the one you would have in a college dorm room or your bedroom or kitchen, etc. To put it bluntly - I would never have a Vizio as my main tv (i.e. something like a 50 inch plasma) unless I was just STRAPPED for cash (BUT - that may be the boat you're in - so you'll have to work with what you've got )

The main problem with them and the thing to watch out for with brands like Vizio, Olevia, Insignia, Polaroid, etc. is the warranties and service - USUALLY after the warranty (1 year standard) expires, out of warranty service is a PITA. So if it breaks - you might as well buy a new t.v. because it will cost you as much to get your old one fixed. Thus, it is a 'disposable' t.v.

My advice - depending on your budget - get the best 'name brand' t.v. you can for the money. Try to get 1080P if possible, but if all you can get is 720 it's not a big deal since the only thing you'll really be missing out on is watching high def movies (i.e HD-DVD and Blu-Ray) in FULL high def. most broadcasts are in 720.

If you could give us a budget, we would be happy to suggest models for you to research

I disagree on this. Most digital electronic devices are 'disposable' then in most people's eyes because I don't know anyone that has sent in their TV for repair once they are out of their warranty. If they break they are trash no matter who makes them. Why would you pay another $500 for a new backlight if a new Vizio is only $900.

Plus you could just keep buying the newest Vizio or Olevia every 2 years and still be spending less money than if you were buying Sony TV's.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 Old 08-02-2007, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

What is your viewing distance? I have attached a resolution chart that tells you a comparison for screen size and viewing distance and when you will even be able to tell the difference....
LL

Greg

post #6 of 20 Old 08-02-2007, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ben72227,

Very good post. (and will probably be better thought out than mine;-))
But to add clarification.

Yes the Vizio and Olevia might be "disposable", but "missing features" are not usually the reason why. You did state why in the fact that it is service after the warranty period can be an issue. As far as features go I see some of the lower brands with more features than the lower cost upper brands. Ex. PIP is almost always on the Vizio type TVs, but can be missing from some of the name brands.

Also I kind of like Vizio because if I remember correctly it is a US owned company. (kind of nice to see a TV where the headquarters are out of the US, and tech support was also in the US, so no language barrier if you have to contact them.)

Also this day and age of technology the "disposable" thing is not as bad as it once was. What I mean is that a few years back if your TV broke you had it fixed (and it always broke again within the year), but like computers the technology keeps changing, so ask youself....if your new tv breaks in 3 years are you going to have it fixed, or are you going to go for that $2000 62" LCD with 1,000,0000,000:1 contrast and .00005 ms resonse and colors that pop out of the screen?

That is my 2 cents that is probably worth about 1.
post #7 of 20 Old 08-02-2007, 07:07 AM

tshrimp you make a good point, but on the other hand - sometimes you just want things to last without having to worry about getting it fixed.

I have a 'backup' Sony Trinitron 32" CRT that I bought in the late '90s (It must be a decade old by now) and it STILL works as good as it did the day I bought it.

Same thing with other stuff - people buy Toyotas and Hondas because they're reliable and they last.

I get your point about Vizio though - they're great if you base your purchase around the fact that it IS disposable (i.e. pay $500 one year and then buy a new $500 tv two years later instead of spending $1000 on a Sony).
post #8 of 20 Old 08-02-2007, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Isn't Olevia (especially with their 7 series), making a bid to be a top-tier brand? I think they're definitely in a higher category than Polaroid.
post #9 of 20 Old 08-02-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post

Isn't Olevia (especially with their 7 series), making a bid to be a top-tier brand? I think they're definitely in a higher category than Polaroid.

HD Guru has a really good article about the 'disposable' brands this month:
http://hdguru.com/?p=107

Olevia may be going high end with the 7 series, but the 3 series and 5 series are still 'disposable' models - and IMHO you're either a good overall brand or you're not - you can't have 'hit and miss' customer service IMHO - it has to be the same across the board
post #10 of 20 Old 08-02-2007, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
IMO, all consumer HDTVs are disposable. I get 1 + 1 year warranty on a new Samsung LN-T4665F and I will not spend a penny on repairing it should it broke after 2 years. I will just call it bad luck.

BTW, your link refers to TV that cannot be repaired. Where as I believe Vizio and Olevia will continue to service their TVs for years.
post #11 of 20 Old 08-02-2007, 02:02 PM

I don't follow resolution charts too much, but I do follow recommended pj screen distances. I think it just depends on the person. On 1080p pjs the whole point is that you can sit between 1-1.5 screen width viewing distance. Usually 720p pjs you sit between 1.5-3 screen width distance. It just depends on how close you like to be and whether you actually can see the difference between 768p vs 1080p from your seating distance. I sit about 1.5x screen width from my 50 inch(although it is a plasma) I would much rather prefer a 1x screen width distance, but I don't like being that close to the set itself. I can tell the difference between 1080p and 768p on a 42 inch set but I would have to be sitting extremely close to do so, such as between 3-4 feet. I also have relatively crappy vision too, so take that into cosideration.
post #12 of 20 Old 08-02-2007, 05:55 PM

tasmonkey,

Usually, not always is the higher resolution better. However, it also depends on what you will be using the TV for. For instance, most cable service only offer 720p and having a 1080p yields negligible difference. In fact, with scaling you might have the opposite effect by introducing artifacts.

Tell us what you will use your TV for and we can help you better.

In terms of TV brands, I was apprehensive about Vizio and other low cost brand. I still am, but further research has indicated to me that at least Vizio gives excellent service. Viewsonic is a commpany I would never buy anything from again, poor quality product coupled with poor experience multiple times.

From what I hear the higher tier brand has poor service i.e. Sharp and Sony. In my experience, US companies tend to give the best customer service. From those 3, I would go with Vizio. Costco and Sears has the 42" 1080p at a very competitive price points.

I think tshrimp puts it very well. A low budget brand is usually half the price of a top tier brand and quality wise there is some difference. However, ask yourself if that difference is worth the actual dollar amount. Probably in 1 year from now, you can get same quality TV as the top tier brand in a budget model half the current price. If your TV breaks in 1 year, buy yourself another one.

Also, quality of top tier brand could be a myth in my opinion. Personal experience speaks against Sony with numerous friends and family members having broken TV's. Sony is is the only brand I have heard so many people around me have problems with. Could be they are more popular....?

Just be aware, some credit cards also offer extended warranty for free if purchased with their card. For instance, I received a whole extra year free for a total of 2 years for using a CitiBank Mastercard. AMEX and VISA might have similar programs.

Anyhow, enough digression....
post #13 of 20 Old 08-02-2007, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I hope you're correct about the Vizio service but the threads here about disposable TV's certainly paint Vizio in a bad light.
post #14 of 20 Old 08-02-2007, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

I hope you're correct about the Vizio service but the threads here about disposable TV's certainly paint Vizio in a bad light.

But the owners threads do not agree with that. On this site that really is saying something as most get trashed, we're a picky bunch .
post #15 of 20 Old 08-02-2007, 08:18 PM

Liked: 14
Vizio and Olevia is fine. Vizio is meant to cost less. Olevia isn't and doesn't, but is lower in price than the self-proclaimed high end brands. You will be fine doing whatever you need to do with them unless you are a videophile. The warranty's are as good as any other brand. Don't let the brand snobs scare you off.

And let me get this straight. 720p and 1080i television looks best on a 1080p set? If you don't have a 1080p source, then the 1080p is useless to you unless you plan on Blu-Ray, playing your PC on it or will play the few 1080p console games out there.
post #16 of 20 Old 08-02-2007, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post

Vizio and Olevia is fine. Vizio is meant to cost less. Olevia isn't and doesn't, but is lower in price than the self-proclaimed high end brands. You will be fine doing whatever you need to do with them unless you are a videophile. The warranty's are as good as any other brand. Don't let the brand snobs scare you off.

And let me get this straight. 720p and 1080i television looks best on a 1080p set? If you don't have a 1080p source, then the 1080p is useless to you unless you plan on Blu-Ray, playing your PC on it or will play the few 1080p console games out there.

100% agree with the first part.

The advantages of 1080p goes beyond BD or HD-DVD.
For example a 1080i can be deinterlaced to give up-to 1080p also some 1080p up-converting DVD players have better deinterlacing and scaling then the TV itself.

But resalution is not the only thing to consider, I would prefer a 720 set with better color and lower black levels then one with bad color and gray blacks but had 1080p
post #17 of 20 Old 08-03-2007, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesiulung View Post

tasmonkey,

Usually, not always is the higher resolution better. However, it also depends on what you will be using the TV for. For instance, most cable service only offer 720p and having a 1080p yields negligible difference. In fact, with scaling you might have the opposite effect by introducing artifacts.

Actually, most HD content is in 1080i, which should look significantly better on a 1080p set than on a 720p one. And since he's not looking at TVs that are exactly 720p resolution (1280x720), but rather 1366x768, there will be scaling "artifacts" even with 720p material.
post #18 of 20 Old 08-03-2007, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Most 1080i content should look significantly better in 1080p than 720p? Not according to virtually every expert opinion on the advantages of 1080p over 768p. Depending on the screen size and seating distance there is usually no (8ft from a 50"") accuity advantage to 1080p
post #19 of 20 Old 08-03-2007, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't know about others but my whole point of buying a 1080p set is to get 1:1 pixel mapping with 1080p. With a 1366x768 set, even 720p get upscaled. So between 1080i and 720p, I at least get 1:1 with one of them. As HD becomes main stream, there will be more and more device output in 1080p/i and the difference will become obvious.

I don't know about you, I tried changing resolution of my PC to slightly below the native resolution of my LCD display and it looks like poo. You should not compare with a 1080p TV that does not do 1:1 pixel mapping though.
post #20 of 20 Old 08-03-2007, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Most 1080i content should look significantly better in 1080p than 720p? Not according to virtually every expert opinion on the advantages of 1080p over 768p. Depending on the screen size and seating distance there is usually no (8ft from a 50"") accuity advantage to 1080p

Not trying to start any thing but for every "expert" you can quot, I could quot one that says just the opposite.

Here is a nice thread on the subject.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=768167
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page