Official Vizio GV52L Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1246 Old 08-09-2007, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Technical observations:

(to be updated as I tweak my new GV52L using tools such as Digital Video Essentials HD and HQV Benchmark)

Silicon Optix HQV Benchmark:

(I have to admit that I am a newbie when it comes to the HQV Benchmark. With that said...)

Source: PLAYSTATION®3, HDMI, video mode 1080i
HD Noise Reduction: 0 (didn't see any noise reduction, regardless of DNR setting)
Video Res Loss Test: 20
Jaggies: 15 (top two bars are smooth, bottom bar looks smooth most of the time)
Film Res Loss Test: 0 (strobing in all corners)
Stadium: 5 (I observe only slight moire)

MISC:
Comcast remote code: 0178
TiVo remote code: 0128
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1246 Old 08-09-2007, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

This post is for non-technical observations.

Box dimensions: 39" (H) x 55 3/4" (W) x 17" (D)

(snug trip home in my Audi A4 Avant)

The included stand base is fixed. (Can be removed, but panel cannot be raised/lowered/tilted.) I imagine this is no different than most LCD flat panel displays.

My initial settings are:
  • Brightness: 52
  • Contrast: 48
  • Temp: 9300K/Cool

So far, all HD sources I have tested are as expected. Haven't connected the TiVo Series 2 yet. Haven't tested PIP yet, but it appears that the only thing you can't do is two HDMI sources at the same time.

[Aug 11]
[Aug 12]
[Aug 14]
post #3 of 1246 Old 08-10-2007, 05:07 AM

Would you be able to price adjust?
post #4 of 1246 Old 08-10-2007, 09:00 AM

Thank you for posting those box dimensions.
post #5 of 1246 Old 08-10-2007, 10:37 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObliteRon View Post

Technical observations:

(to be updated as I tweak my new GV52L using tools such as Digital Video Essentials HD and HQV Benchmark)

Be sure to post your settings after you calibrate the set.
post #6 of 1246 Old 08-10-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObliteRon View Post

Technical observations:

Silicon Optix HQV Benchmark:

(I have to admit that I am a newbie when it comes to the HQV Benchmark. With that said...)

Source: PLAYSTATION®3, HDMI, video mode 1080i
HD Noise Reduction: 0 (didn't see any noise reduction, regardless of DNR setting)
Video Res Loss Test: 20
Jaggies: 15 (top two bars are smooth, bottom bar looks smooth most of the time)
Film Res Loss Test: 0 (strobing in all corners)
Stadium: 5 (I observe only slight moire)

Can anyone comment on whether these numbers are good/bad/okay?? I am not familiar with benchmarks for a TV.
post #7 of 1246 Old 08-10-2007, 11:48 AM

Can you please post some general viewing impressions of the set.
post #8 of 1246 Old 08-10-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim55avs View Post

Can anyone comment on whether these numbers are good/bad/okay?? I am not familiar with benchmarks for a TV.

Score 40 out of 100, what do you think?

However, another person scored 70 for the 47" with the HD-dvd benchmark.
post #9 of 1246 Old 08-10-2007, 03:16 PM

Surprise, surprise. Relunctantly, my local COSTCO lowered a GV52L from the racks for me. They quickly pointed out that they would not honor the coupon on the 20th, which was neither here nor there. I will get them to honor the coupon when I come back on the 20th and purchase another with another coupon

I transported in my wife's Jeep Liberty Sport and it fit snugly, but made it.

My observations, like my earlier GV42 and GV47, is right out of the box the picture is great. As a bonus to those that are leaving the speakers on, the sound is 10X better than the 42 and 47 and there is no hum. The speakers are also smaller than the earlier GV's.

I mounted it in five seconds after taking out of the box and removing the six screws on the base. Be careful, it doesn't rest so securely without the bolts so quickly lift up to wall mount.

The QAM tuner puts the HD locals right next to the SD locals. I will play with more to see if my deleted channels stay deleted, a chore that the 47 didn't do.

I'm happy, two hours in. No clouding even though I transported face up.

Any questions, please ask. Yes I did give them Two Two as has been mentioned in the other thread. The second Two I'll get back on the 20th.
post #10 of 1246 Old 08-10-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsxedc View Post

Score 40 out of 100, what do you think?

However, another person scored 70 for the 47" with the HD-dvd benchmark.

Yeah.. I downloaded the benchmark grading instruction .pdf and the scores are pretty bad... The tests for the Sharp 52D62U were very good in comparison.

I guess it is like someone on the other thread has already mentioned: You get what you pay for... low quality for low dollars.
post #11 of 1246 Old 08-10-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxtv View Post

Surprise, surprise. Relunctantly, my local COSTCO lowered a GV52L from the racks for me. They quickly pointed out that they would not honor the coupon on the 20th, which was neither here nor there. I will get them to honor the coupon when I come back on the 20th and purchase another with another coupon

I transported in my wife's Jeep Liberty Sport and it fit snugly, but made it.

My observations, like my earlier GV42 and GV47, is right out of the box the picture is great. As a bonus to those that are leaving the speakers on, the sound is 10X better than the 42 and 47 and there is no hum. The speakers are also smaller than the earlier GV's.

I mounted it in five seconds after taking out of the box and removing the six screws on the base. Be careful, it doesn't rest so securely without the bolts so quickly lift up to wall mount.

The QAM tuner puts the HD locals right next to the SD locals. I will play with more to see if my deleted channels stay deleted, a chore that the 47 didn't do.

I'm happy, two hours in. No clouding even though I transported face up.

Any questions, please ask. Yes I did give them Two Two as has been mentioned in the other thread. The second Two I'll get back on the 20th.

Would you or the other owner happen to have pictures yet of your setup?
post #12 of 1246 Old 08-10-2007, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim55avs View Post

MY V47 HD HQV tests here post 128, 131 and 132:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=11049258

The 'strobe test' is suspect, see post 20 here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=HD+HQV

The HQV benchmark documemtation can be found here:
http://www.hqv.com/benchmark.cfm

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #13 of 1246 Old 08-10-2007, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcd-bob View Post

Certain Blu-ray Disc players already support the 24p output scheme. http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=8038 Thanks to version 1.80 firmware for the PlayStation 3, the Sony games console supports 24p output as well as DVD and game upscaling. [lcd-bob] Did you get the firmware update for PS3?

Remember, the HW HQV benchmark is recorded at 1080i.
To test the TV set the player to 1080i, to test the player set it to 1080p

U.S. Army FA WWII
post #14 of 1246 Old 08-10-2007, 07:11 PM

Still no viewing impressions?

I don't care about the technical stuff
post #15 of 1246 Old 08-10-2007, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 111
What are your impressions of the blacks versus the GV47?

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #16 of 1246 Old 08-10-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post

What are your impressions of the blacks versus the GV47?

Ditto on this question??? Any input on the black level compared to the Vizio 47?
post #17 of 1246 Old 08-11-2007, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKal View Post

Ditto on this question??? Any input on the black level compared to the Vizio 47?

This is the Million dollar question Boys and Girls. Is this 52 inch TV worth $400 More and giving up my last return ( I bought my 47 before the policy changed).

I'm leaning towards NOT and waiting until the next generation comes out. I really like my 47 on everything except really dark movies due to poor blacks.
post #18 of 1246 Old 08-11-2007, 08:59 AM

I'm torn between having the wife go early to Costco next Monday to get one before they sell out or
wait till I get home from work and run down there early in the evening. If they are sold out I'll get
a rain check, but then I will be able to see what it looks like before buying. If there aren't any real bad
reviews here by early buyers I'll take the risk of buying sight unseen, otherwise I can wait.

Another option is the GV47. It is barely big enough for our room (the 52" would be better). But the
47 lacks the extra two hdmi inputs (switch boxes are cheap though), and the contrast ratio is lower.
On paper the 52 should have a better PQ. But DOES IT?????
post #19 of 1246 Old 08-11-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcd-bob View Post

pospower, Weigh your pros and cons. some observations. [lcd-bob]
GV52LF vs GV47LF
Pros: BIG beautiful 52 inches, much better sound system
Cons: $400 more, heavier if wall mounting, PIP USELESS cannot do two HDMI inputs even though we will eventually hook up all media thru HDMI.
similar electronics- probably no improvement (low light detail, edge enhancement ghosts).
I watched the Patriots play Tampa on my Vizio LCD GV42L last night. It was great watching HD (16x9), except for the edge enhancement halo around players bodies on distant shots. And Boris noticed the same white ghosts on new GV52 at COSTCO? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post11266201
Vizio rep stated that GV52LF's edge enhancement circuitry has no on/off switch; its always on. http://www.vizio.com/support/discuss...a-2fc8128533b3

For everyone with a thin wallet really really keen on 52 inches now, it is the cheapest - Get it!

But, like you said, you blow your Costco lifetime exchange/refund, so if some great deal on much better Sony, Samsung, Toshiba surfaces in 3 months ...
I'm in the same boat with my GV42L purchased last Aug 2006, and have a tough time trading in that lifetime warranty for ...

With all due respect LCD-Bob, and I know that you've offered a lot of great insight to these boards and are a tremendous source of information to all of us, the GV47 is different than the GV42 (1080i to 1080p), the GV52 is different than the the GV47 and GV42. I am not as technically knowledgeable as you, but I do own all three and know the differences, from sight, sound, and connectivity. This is an Owners Board and fellow owners should exchange settings info, and calibrations to help us all improve our experiences. The set is on the market, so there is no more speculation necessary. The picture of the GV52 is noticeably better than the GV47 despite the bigger size. The sound is noticebly better than the GV42 and 47 and there is no hum, like the initial releases of the above. This info is useful to prospective buyers. We all can read others' impressions, but only those that actually owner are in a position to share. In addition, anything based on display models in COSTCO need to be thrown out, as signal strength and lighting conditions hamper anyone's ability to make a wise decision. This set, or at least the one the I purchased, blows the 42 and 47 away. And I can say that with certainty, but obviously, subjectively. As far as the weight is concerned, it is only a few pounds heavier, but most LCD wall mounts can handle 130 lbs., and these are all way under that without the stand. Folks, if you liked the GV42 and GV47, you will love the GV52. Whether or not it stands up to the Samsung and others, I can not tell you. Having said that, LCD-Bob, I look forward to you further educating us on the guts of the LCD's, but speculation has to now be in the past.
post #20 of 1246 Old 08-11-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:

With all due respect LCD-Bob, and I know that you've offered a lot of great insight to these boards and are a tremendous source of information to all of us, the GV47 is different than the GV42 (1080i to 1080p), the GV52 is different than the the GV47 and GV42. I am not as technically knowledgeable as you, but I do own all three and know the differences, from sight, sound, and connectivity. This is an Owners Board and fellow owners should exchange settings info, and calibrations to help us all improve our experiences. The set is on the market, so there is no more speculation necessary. The picture of the GV52 is noticeably better than the GV47 despite the bigger size. The sound is noticebly better than the GV42 and 47 and there is no hum, like the initial releases of the above. This info is useful to prospective buyers. We all can read others' impressions, but only those that actually owner are in a position to share. In addition, anything based on display models in COSTCO need to be thrown out, as signal strength and lighting conditions hamper anyone's ability to make a wise decision. This set, or at least the one the I purchased, blows the 42 and 47 away. And I can say that with certainty, but obviously, subjectively. As far as the weight is concerned, it is only a few pounds heavier, but most LCD wall mounts can handle 130 lbs., and these are all way under that without the stand. Folks, if you liked the GV42 and GV47, you will love the GV52. Whether or not it stands up to the Samsung and others, I can not tell you. Having said that, LCD-Bob, I look forward to you further educating us on the guts of the LCD's, but speculation has to now be in the past.

In what way the gv52 blow away the gv47? please elaborate.
post #21 of 1246 Old 08-11-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:

Part of owner's board involve future buyers asking owners whether it is a good buy. It is not restricted to owners only.
post #22 of 1246 Old 08-11-2007, 09:55 AM
GGG

Quote:

Part of owner's board involve future buyers asking owners whether it is a good buy. It is not restricted to owners only.

Agreed, but let's try to stay on topic here on the 52 picture, differences, QC, etc. We are all waiting for the owners to provide pics and reviews, these will happen in due course. If folks want to talk about Costco stuff, coupons, comparisons etc, please use the other thread and not trash this one (at least to start).
post #23 of 1246 Old 08-11-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:

Yes, non-owners asking questions, not giving answers. The GV52 IMHO is much brighter than GV47. I have not tweaked any of the default settings because it looks great right out of the box. But as other owners share their thoughts, I will make adjustments. What also make this better is you do not sacrifice PQ for bigger screen. The sound is night and day better, and no hum or "tinny sound." The menu is brighter and much easier to navigate through. The remote is bigger and you don't have to pound it to punch in the keys. Also, and this is big for me, the QAM tuner allows channels to be deleted, without it returning after you shut off the set. For example, I dont need CBS-Sd if I want CBS-HD. In New York, Channel 2 can be deleted in favor of Channel 2-1. The 42 and 47 don't hold this setting. Once you turn the set back on Channel 2 is back. I'll have more to share as I use it more. I also like the smaller (slimmer) speakers and I like the buttons moved to the right side panel. The GV47 had the touch screen, which I didn't like since I always use the remote. It is a cleaner look this way.
post #24 of 1246 Old 08-11-2007, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the GV47 is different than the GV42 (1080i to 1080p), the GV52 is different than the the GV47 and GV42.......... but I do own all three and know the differences, from sight, sound, and connectivity.......The picture of the GV52 is noticeably better than the GV47 despite the bigger size. The sound is noticebly better than the GV42 and 47 and there is no hum.......This set, or at least the one the I purchased, blows the 42 and 47 away. And I can say that with certainty, but obviously, subjectively. Folks, if you liked the GV42 and GV47, you will love the GV52.

boxtv, you seem to be in a unique position to evaluate the GV52 vs the GV47(and the GV42L), being that you own all three.

Would you say that the black levels on the GV52 are vastly improved, marginally better, the same, or worse compared to the GV47?

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #25 of 1246 Old 08-11-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post

boxtv, you seem to be in a unique position to evaluate the GV52 vs the GV47(and the GV42L), being that you own all three.

Would you say that the black levels on the GV52 vastly better, marginally better, the same, or worse compared to the GV47?

How are black levels compared to Sharp 52"??
post #26 of 1246 Old 08-11-2007, 01:46 PM

Curious to know if there is any buzzing noise coming from this set? I think I will have to get a raincheck on the 26th for this big boy.
post #27 of 1246 Old 08-11-2007, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

boxrv...

Congratulations. Comparing the 52 and 47 (which I have now) will be very helpful.
If you have Avia or DVE look at the grayscale ramps.
Shadow detail, not black or contrast is the important parameter.

My 47 looks inky black with a DVE 0 IRE (black) pattern at night with the lights off, but is skimpy on shadow detail.

This parameter is very difficult to evaluate in a store.
If the 52 shows better shadow detail than the 47 I will buy it in a heartbeat.

U.S. Army FA WWII
post #28 of 1246 Old 08-11-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother View Post

boxrv...

Congratulations. Comparing the 52 and 47 (which I have now) will be very helpful.
If you have Avia or DVE look at the grayscale ramps.
Shadow detail, not black or contrast is the important parameter.

My 47 looks inky black with a DVE 0 IRE (black) pattern at night with the lights off, but is skimpy on shadow detail.

This parameter is very difficult to evaluate in a store.
If the 52 shows better shadow detail than the 47 I will buy it in a heartbeat.

Guys, unfortunately, I don't have the materials to do the test. I haven't run a movie on a DVD through it yet, so I can't get a sense for the black levels. I can say that the PQ, brightness, and sharpness are superior to the GV47 and GV42. I watched a football game last night in HD, a Horse Race on ABC-HD today, and both events looked better than on its smaller counterparts. And that says a lot when the initial fear was bigger picture=less PQ. This is not the case. Again, the better remote, better speakers, lack of hum was a nice surprise.
post #29 of 1246 Old 08-11-2007, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-tv View Post

yes please let us know about the black levels. I will be going tomorrow to see the GV52 and I will make extensive adjustments to color temp, picture menu, and advanced settings to improve the color, blacks, etc. But I am not an owner yet, so I will present my findings to the other thread, (non-owners asking questions, not giving answers) so check over there on Monday.

Looking forward to it big-tv. Hopefully you can tweak the GV47 and the Sharp 52 as well, and give some comparative impressions between both and the GV52. Hopefully they are lined up next to each other.

post #30 of 1246 Old 08-11-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:

Guys, unfortunately, I don't have the materials to do the test. I haven't run a movie on a DVD through it yet, so I can't get a sense for the black levels. I can say that the PQ, brightness, and sharpness are superior to the GV47 and GV42. I watched a football game last night in HD, a Horse Race on ABC-HD today, and both events looked better than on its smaller counterparts. And that says a lot when the initial fear was bigger picture=less PQ. This is not the case. Again, the better remote, better speakers, lack of hum was a nice surprise.

Have you tried to hook up a computer? How is text with the undefeatable edge enhancement? Is that an issue?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page