Official Sony XBR4/XBR5 Series Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official Sony XBR4/XBR5 Series Thread
twilleyj's Avatar twilleyj 11:48 AM 08-14-2007
SonyStyle.com just called my cell phone!

I had sent them an e-mail asking why their website stated the following for the KDL-52XBR4 LCD TV:

Shipping in September

(Screen size measured diagonally.)

In stock. Estimated ship date: 08/16/2007.

The nice young lady from SonyStyle said "I wish they'd update that website, it's very confusing. The reason why it says 8/16/07 is because it's in stock, and takes 48 hours to process. They are in stock and shipping from SonyStyle.com. Now how many would you like to order?"

Wow. That's classic.

Any of you order from SonyStyle.com?! If so, you should see the charge on your credit card and then get an e-mail. At least that's what was explained to me.

I knew I should have coughed up more cash and purchased direct! Darn.

slumpey326's Avatar slumpey326 11:54 AM 08-14-2007
did the cdw guy ever get his order
nolive's Avatar nolive 12:03 PM 08-14-2007
chaps,

for those who have read my posts about the Japan territory equivalent models of XBR4 and 5, please forget it.

I've been misleaded by the looks and positioning on the SONY website of the so called X2500/2550 thinking they were the SONY flagships here in Japan, well they are not.

Or not as yours in the US, they don't seem to have the 10bit panel ,the Motion Flow or the true 24

I don't get that at all, why SONY is launching Top range models in the US and in Europe first

anyway, enjoy your XBR4/5, I think I'm gonna buy a Pioneer Plasma instead
phant0m0o0o's Avatar phant0m0o0o 12:07 PM 08-14-2007
Just got the 40" xbr4. I think it looks very nice. I like how they went with off black instead of silver. Blu-ray looks so realistic that the props look fake and needs some time to get used to. First HDTV for me. Seems like there is some slight uneveness with an all black screen. 120hz really works well with action scenes(every once in awhile if you look hard enough slight artifacts in very heavy action scenes). Color is awesome. how its compatible with 24hz is very noticable. Contrast ratio is great and so are the blacks. Not black hole blacks but definately very great blacks that if your not looking for it looks damn good. PS3 compatible and just all around great. I won't be checking often but shoot a question about it and I will try to answer.
Sp4sm's Avatar Sp4sm 12:11 PM 08-14-2007
I just got back from R.C. Willey (stores in Utah/Idaho/Nevada/Sacramento), and they have the 40 and 46er on display. I know we're not supposed to price talk, but they even have it on sale until tomorrow for about what the XBR2s were going for before close-out.

I'm a cloudy XBR2 owner, and I didn't see any clouds on the 4, though it was a bit too bright in the showroom. I can verify that the backlight fades when it gets dark though.

Does anyone have one in their living room yet?

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phant0m0o0o View Post

Seems like there is some slight uneveness with an all black screen.

Oh, damnit.
RichardBrackin's Avatar RichardBrackin 12:16 PM 08-14-2007
I believe the guy that started this thread has the KDL-40XBR4.

I just called J&R about when my 40" XBR4 would ship.
They computer says the Sonys won't be arriving at their store until the end of August.
That day will arrive soon enough, though. Time goes too fast as it is.
necrolop's Avatar necrolop 12:35 PM 08-14-2007
Quote:

Just got the 40" xbr4. I think it looks very nice. I like how they went with off black instead of silver. Blu-ray looks so realistic that the props look fake and needs some time to get used to. First HDTV for me. Seems like there is some slight uneveness with an all black screen. 120hz really works well with action scenes(every once in awhile if you look hard enough slight artifacts in very heavy action scenes). Color is awesome. how its compatible with 24hz is very noticable. Contrast ratio is great and so are the blacks. Not black hole blacks but definately very great blacks that if your not looking for it looks damn good. PS3 compatible and just all around great. I won't be checking often but shoot a question about it and I will try to answer.

Turn your backlight to full, then see how even a black screen is. A little variation is ok, but Im sure everyone here would love to know if there is any obvious clouding.

Id also like to know if theres anyway to tell when MotionFlow has turned on or off.
phant0m0o0o's Avatar phant0m0o0o 12:57 PM 08-14-2007
There is a setting to turn on/off motion flow. Also backlight is on full and its uneven where the lamps are in the back I am guessing since there are 2 very light semi circles. Very unnoticable for me, definatly NOT noticable during a movie. Thanks
davez82's Avatar davez82 01:03 PM 08-14-2007
anychance we could get backlight pics?
niksem's Avatar niksem 01:09 PM 08-14-2007
someone got to post a good review with pictures. How does it compare to Samsung 4065 TV???
Broc27's Avatar Broc27 01:14 PM 08-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by niksem View Post

someone got to post a good review with pictures. How does it compare to Samsung 4065 TV???

I'm also dying to know. I've got a special offer from a local vendor and could exchange my 4665F right away for the KDL-40XBR4. I'd lose 6" (at my 7ft viewing distance it is a reasonable loss) but would get all the latest features. Don't know what to do!
necrolop's Avatar necrolop 01:18 PM 08-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broc27 View Post

I'm also dying to know. I've got a special offer from a local vendor and could exchange my 4665F right away for the KDL-40XBR4. I'd lose 6" (at my 7ft viewing distance it is a reasonable loss) but would get all the latest features. Don't know what to do!

Sounds like you will be dissapointed either way. 6 inches is a lot, I would shell out the difference and get the 46in XBR4, and just eat top ramen for a while.

Pictures of the backlight would be most helpful.
twilleyj's Avatar twilleyj 01:23 PM 08-14-2007
Let's all chant along now:

Pictures!, Pictures !, Pictures!

Why is everyone staring at me?
Leave me alone, I'm posting during business hours...but I NEEEEED my new Sony KDL-52XBR4.

I post when anxious.

PLEASE throw these guys a bone and post a review. We will be gentle.
Alex the Great's Avatar Alex the Great 01:33 PM 08-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolive View Post

chaps,
anyway, enjoy your XBR4/5, I think I'm gonna buy a Pioneer Plasma instead

Do you know that PDP has about 72-75% of NTSC CG ONLY!
blu3flam3's Avatar blu3flam3 01:53 PM 08-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broc27 View Post

you cant compare the old samsung 65F model to the new sony
the XBR4 has to be compared with the new samsung 71F , thats more fair
Broc27's Avatar Broc27 02:00 PM 08-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3flam3 View Post

you cant compare the old samsung 65F model to the new sony
the XBR4 has to be compared with the new samsung 71F , thats more fair

Ok, so does that mean that you would gladly trade the 6" of the 4665F for the quality of the 40XBR4 ?
niksem's Avatar niksem 02:07 PM 08-14-2007
Well 65 series quality is superior to XBR2. If XBR4 can match that of 65, I will go for it because it got 120hz and I do not want to wait for their 71/81 series.

I am happy with what I have seen in a 65, so the question is whther i will be happier with XBR4 or not.
blu3flam3's Avatar blu3flam3 02:25 PM 08-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by niksem View Post

Well 65 series quality is superior to XBR2. If XBR4 can match that of 65, I will go for it because it got 120hz and I do not want to wait for their 71/81 series.

I am happy with what I have seen in a 65, so the question is whther i will be happier with XBR4 or not.

From what i have read in the forums the 71F is coming out this month as well
and 100 bucks MSRP cheaper than the XBR4

im debating between those 2 models , the one with better reviews and less problems will get my $
pactman's Avatar pactman 02:28 PM 08-14-2007
Quote:

im debating between those 2 models , the one with better reviews and less problems will get my $

I'm with you. I have controlled myself and its just a waiting game at this point.
Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock. Come on already!
phant0m0o0o's Avatar phant0m0o0o 02:29 PM 08-14-2007
watching movies right now will post backlight pictures with a digital slr later. I might need instructions on how to post since I don't do this often.
illdefined's Avatar illdefined 02:35 PM 08-14-2007
Quote:

watching movies right now will post backlight pictures with a digital slr later. I might need instructions on how to post since I don't do this often.

Thanks Phantom, much appreciated.

here's a question, can you adjust aspect ratio on HD signals? how good is the "smart stretch" option for 4:3 sources and will it even work on HD?

thanks again.
taurus2007's Avatar taurus2007 02:44 PM 08-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3flam3 View Post

From what i have read in the forums the 71F is coming out this month as well
and 100 bucks MSRP cheaper than the XBR4

You, pactman, me (although it's between 4665 and 4671), and a bunch of others.
pactman's Avatar pactman 02:58 PM 08-14-2007
Quote:

You, pactman, me (although it's between 4665 and 4671), and a bunch of others.

For me at this point is between the Sony XBR4, 46 inch or the Samsung 4671. Had to narrow it down to these 2. Since they are classified as the TOP OF THE LINE in its class. Best PQ, warranty, customer service, etc. I'm not a risk taker and if I am about to invest so much $ on a TV, then I will go with what will more than likely be a for sure thing.
ny888's Avatar ny888 03:30 PM 08-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilleyj View Post

SonyStyle.com just called my cell phone!

I had sent them an e-mail asking why their website stated the following for the KDL-52XBR4 LCD TV:

Shipping in September

(Screen size measured diagonally.)

In stock. Estimated ship date: 08/16/2007.

The nice young lady from SonyStyle said "I wish they'd update that website, it's very confusing. The reason why it says 8/16/07 is because it's in stock, and takes 48 hours to process. They are in stock and shipping from SonyStyle.com. Now how many would you like to order?"

Wow. That's classic.

Any of you order from SonyStyle.com?! If so, you should see the charge on your credit card and then get an e-mail. At least that's what was explained to me.

I knew I should have coughed up more cash and purchased direct! Darn.

Let's see if SonyStyle person was telling the truth. With a corporate discount I just placed an order for the 52XBR4. Email confirmation says estimated shipping is 8/16/07. Premium In-Home Delivery included no charge.
Ted Todorov's Avatar Ted Todorov 03:45 PM 08-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudu_georgescu View Post

I do not know if this answers your question, but apparently Sharp can do PAL as well:

(apparently I am not allowed to post links so here it goes: sharpusa website slash files slash tel_man_LC46_52D92U dot pdf)

(look for the "color system")

Hey, thanks so much for the tip! Here is the clickable link.
Ted Todorov's Avatar Ted Todorov 04:23 PM 08-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaveWalker View Post

French dudes in http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/v...=asc&start=465 seem to suggest that when playing 1080p24 stuff, the X3500 refreshes at 72Hz, which is amazing if true.

60Hz or 120Hz is also not without it's problems, hence we have to contend with all that 3:2 pulldown grief.

Any ideas on how we could get our hands on a X3500 in the USA? (Presumably all the 100Hz functionality is missing from the US models (XBR5))
spincut's Avatar spincut 04:27 PM 08-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaveWalker View Post

Almost 100% certain Game Mode disables it
- got enough cars trying to drive me off a cliff already in Motorstorm without MotionFlow adding more!

Motionflow also appears to be disabled for true 1080p24 sources
- don't want more frames adding when the Director worked so hard to make it look the way it does at 24fps

so though, if you never use game mode, does the motion flow negatively affect game performance? because since i never really saw a difference anyway, i just never turned game mode on with my older XBR2.
malcolmp6's Avatar malcolmp6 04:31 PM 08-14-2007
6ave has shipped my 46XBR4 for a price around what Moon12345 has stated. They claim to be an authorized reseller of Sony but I do not see it on Sony's web site. However their stores are listed as authorized dealers of Sony products. I only hope Sony honors the warranty.
seanchang's Avatar seanchang 04:36 PM 08-14-2007
sonystyle sf had this puppy sitting out right next to the xbr3, and the difference was AMAZING - and i had thought xbr3 was the king of the hill...
esp nice was the price dif (xbr3 at xxxx, xbr at yyyy!).

sonystyle also had a special, zzz gift card with purchase of the tv to be used on "accessories/warranty/etc" -- but what they don't tell you is what actually happens:

(1) they reprice the xbr4 to be xxxx-zzz -- no typo!
(2) they pretend like you bought a zzz gift card
(3) which they then apply to your purchase of the tv
(4) plus whatever else you want to add to that transaction
-- i bought the 4 year onsite warranty, which was less than what anyone else charges (bestbuy, circuitcity, etc)

looks great, much better control interface than the xbr2/3 family!
slumpey326's Avatar slumpey326 04:38 PM 08-14-2007
seanchang can you post your settings. I have the tv also and want to compare settings. What do you have motion enhancer, cinemotion, x.v.color, set to and any other useful settings
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop