post #271 of 5494 Old 09-19-2007, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice805 View Post

Got up really late for me this morning and need more coffee to wake up. I'll read the posts since last night and go check the TV and post how it's doing this morning (with the settings, as one recommended). I really do appreciate your insights. Be back after a bit.

Janice-
Put down the java and pick up a DVD source ! Earlier, someone recommended trying ANOTHER source other than your satellite or cable or whatever...you need to try the DVD source. That will tell you if it is the TV or the source. Then let us know. I say "If someone asks for advice, they are then obligated to follow up, OK? So get back to us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 5494 Old 09-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEEVIPER View Post

No, you did help me out some. I appreciated.

I purchased my TV on August 27.

I think I will call up Sony and ask them if the buzzing sound is normal or should my fan be replaced. What do the rest of you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

Definitely call. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
post #273 of 5494 Old 09-20-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo3660 View Post

Definitely call. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I will, thanks.

"Some men aren't looking for anything logical.
They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with.
Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Dark Knight Saga - 072012
post #274 of 5494 Old 09-20-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coma426 View Post

Here are the settings I came up with for my 52" XBR4 after running the Avia calibration dvd.

HDMI Settings (BD playback via PS3)

Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 4
Picture: 72* (initially set at 55, upon further testing set to 72)
Brightness: 52
Color: 57
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Neutral
Sharpness: 30
Noise Reduction: Off

Advanced Settings
White Blance:
R-Gain: 0
G-Gain: -5
B-Gain: -5
R-Bias: 0
G-Bias: -5
B-Bias: 0
Color Space: Standard (Setting to Wide may require further dialing of R-G-B Bias and Gain as it tends to emphasize G and B)
Detail Enhancer: High
Everything else set to Off
(Setting Detail Enhancer to High results in some extremely sharp detail on live action BD material)

Motion Enhancer: set to Off for most BD material, set to High for SD cable

Hi all ,
I just got my 32" XBR4 yesterday . Still adjusting this set . I see some posts can get in to the white balance . I looked but find no where in advance setting with that feature. I can't get in picture mode : custom either , only 3 settings Vivid, Standard & Movie . Please excuse my ignorance and show me the way ..Thanks so much in advance
post #275 of 5494 Old 09-20-2007, 08:57 PM

Picture = Custom
Cinemotion = off

Picture: 87
Brightness: 48
Color: 55
Temp: COOL
Sharpness: 74
Noise Reduc: off
Mpeg: Off
DRC: Off

Black Corrector: Off
Advanced C.E.: low
Gamma: Low
C White: Off
C Space: Standard
Live Color: Low

White Balance:

R Gain: -4
G Gain: -4
B Gain: -2
R Bias: +3
G Bias: -2
B Bias: +3

Detail Enhancer: med
Edge Enhancer: High

These are the settings I use for all feeds and the picture looks great. Hope this helps some people out.
post #276 of 5494 Old 09-21-2007, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDplayer View Post

Hi all ,
I just got my 32" XBR4 yesterday . Still adjusting this set . I see some posts can get in to the white balance . I looked but find no where in advance setting with that feature. I can't get in picture mode : custom either , only 3 settings Vivid, Standard & Movie . Please excuse my ignorance and show me the way ..Thanks so much in advance

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KDL32XBR4-40D3000.pdf

That's the PDF file for the 32XBR4 manual. It shows that the advanced settings are only available in Standard and Cinema modes. Unfortunately, neither one gives you the option of adjusting the White Balance settings.

Brandon
post #277 of 5494 Old 09-21-2007, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KDL32XBR4-40D3000.pdf

That's the PDF file for the 32XBR4 manual. It shows that the advanced settings are only available in Standard and Cinema modes. Unfortunately, neither one gives you the option of adjusting the White Balance settings.

Brandon

Thanks you so much for your reply Brandon .
I read the manual back and forth .And still puzzled .( Duuhh )
How come other XBR4 owners posted can get into custom picture and advance white balance . For ex: ( Gable74 posted )
Picture = Custom
Cinemotion = off

White Balance:

. Is it only for xbr4 40" and up ? ( mine is 32" and i do not think there are different features between sizes ).Or i am missing some thing? I can not get in the picture custom either..Please help !!! This is driving me nuts. Any advice is greatly appreciated . Thanks again so much
post #278 of 5494 Old 09-21-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:

Thanks you so much for your reply Brandon .
I read the manual back and forth .And still puzzled .( Duuhh )
How come other XBR4 owners posted can get into custom picture and advance white balance . For ex: ( Gable74 posted )
Picture = Custom
Cinemotion = off

White Balance:

. Is it only for xbr4 40" and up ? ( mine is 32" and i do not think there are different features between sizes ).Or i am missing some thing? I can not get in the picture custom either..Please help !!! This is driving me nuts. Any advice is greatly appreciated . Thanks again so much

32 incher is different from 40 and up XBRs. Its settings are not so advanced.
post #279 of 5494 Old 09-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I am very happy with my new 52XBR, but have a basic question regarding the Brightness that calibrating the set seems to require. SHouldn't there be a method to have the brightness WAY higher and attenuate it, except when required, so as to take advantage of this set's high brighness capability. If not, as seems to be the case, why are the calibrators using only 30 or 40% of the available brightness, Inverse Square Law notwithstanding.

Thank you very much

Fury
post #280 of 5494 Old 09-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srgtfury View Post

I am very happy with my new 52XBR, but have a basic question regarding the Brightness that calibrating the set seems to require. SHouldn't there be a method to have the brightness WAY higher and attenuate it, except when required, so as to take advantage of this set's high brighness capability. If not, as seems to be the case, why are the calibrators using only 30 or 40% of the available brightness, Inverse Square Law notwithstanding.

Thank you very much

Fury

Could you post your calibrations? What input are you using for SD/HD (dish, cable, etc.)? Do you use diferent settings for BR/HD DVD?

BTW, I haven't heard the Inverse Sq. Law quoted in 25 years!
post #281 of 5494 Old 09-21-2007, 09:38 PM

if a thread has so many posts.... wouldn't it be logical to create a sub forum for each manufacturer so everyone doesn't have to mix in questions? im surprised this hasn't been done. reading through a 15 or 25 page post is pointless and time consuming.
post #282 of 5494 Old 09-22-2007, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, there are differences on panel sizes above 32". There is sort of a (nearly completely) industry wide practice of differentiating TVs 40" and above into more of a Home Theatre class of TV with more advanced features and higher resolutions. LCD TVs below 40" typically max out at 720p resolution, and most new TVs 40" and above are 1080p (maybe Sharp's 37" has 1080p, but I'm not familiar with those). The general justification for this is the prevailing opinion that the benefits of 1080p resolution are lost on sizes under 40", therefore it's pretty hard to find 32" sets that are native 1080p displays.

That being said, the Sony XBR LCD line has basically been two-tiered over the last couple generations: 1) 26-32" and 2) 40-52". The 40-52" models of the XBR2 had the floating glass, while the 32" one did not. Ditto for this year. Also, the 32" model is 720p, and the 40" and above are 1080p. And as we've illustrated already, there are a few more advanced menu options in the higher sized models.

So, the 32XBR4 still has the top-of-the-line Sony image processing for that size of TV as well as a nice feature set, it doesn't include all of the trimmings that it's larger brethren do.

Brandon
post #283 of 5494 Old 09-22-2007, 01:57 AM

i said i had one dead pixel its actually 5
i got close up on it and its all in a row i thought it was just one.
anybody else have any dead or frozen pixels?
post #284 of 5494 Old 09-22-2007, 04:06 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Yes, there are differences on panel sizes above 32". There is sort of a (nearly completely) industry wide practice of differentiating TVs 40" and above into more of a Home Theatre class of TV with more advanced features and higher resolutions. LCD TVs below 40" typically max out at 720p resolution, and most new TVs 40" and above are 1080p (maybe Sharp's 37" has 1080p, but I'm not familiar with those). The general justification for this is the prevailing opinion that the benefits of 1080p resolution are lost on sizes under 40", therefore it's pretty hard to find 32" sets that are native 1080p displays.

That being said, the Sony XBR LCD line has basically been two-tiered over the last couple generations: 1) 26-32" and 2) 40-52". The 40-52" models of the XBR2 had the floating glass, while the 32" one did not. Ditto for this year. Also, the 32" model is 720p, and the 40" and above are 1080p. And as we've illustrated already, there are a few more advanced menu options in the higher sized models.

So, the 32XBR4 still has the top-of-the-line Sony image processing for that size of TV as well as a nice feature set, it doesn't include all of the trimmings that it's larger brethren do.

Brandon

Brandon, you seem very knowledgeable about the 32 incher so I have more questions to ask As I understand it, the Bravia engine found in the 32 will upscale SD. I do not see any menu options for this. Does it automatically upscale? Also, when I set my Oppo DVD player to output at 1080p via HDMI the Sony XBR4 32 shows that it is receiving a 1080p signal even though the native resolution of this set is 720p. What am I missing here. Thanx in advance.

MrJ

My TV is powered by coal. 
post #285 of 5494 Old 09-22-2007, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vumcrab View Post

Could you post your calibrations? What input are you using for SD/HD (dish, cable, etc.)? Do you use diferent settings for BR/HD DVD?

BTW, I haven't heard the Inverse Sq. Law quoted in 25 years!

I am using the settings on post #52, wth input only from a MOTO DCT6412 III via Rat Shack HDMI.

The thing about the laws of physical science is they have been there before described and will remian unchanged a zillion years from now. Amazing how many times they can be usefully quoted

Thank you very much

Fury
post #286 of 5494 Old 09-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srgtfury View Post

Probably calibrated for "dark room" theater-like viewing, instead of a bright room setting.

For dark room viewing (and better contrast), keep your brightness down some, and the backlight level even lower, BUT have the contrast (picture) control much higher, about 70-80% of the full level availability.

This should provide the best contrast, black level and shadow detail, as well as an image that "pops" with beauty.
post #287 of 5494 Old 09-23-2007, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJitters View Post

I do not see any menu options for this. Does it automatically upscale? Also, when I set my Oppo DVD player to output at 1080p via HDMI the Sony XBR4 32 shows that it is receiving a 1080p signal even though the native resolution of this set is 720p. What am I missing here. Thanx in advance.

MrJ

Yes, it automatically upscales. All of these LCD TVs are fixed pixel displays, meaning it can only show content in it's native resolution. So no matter what resolution it receives (480i, 480p, 1080i, etc), it's going to scale it to it's native 720/768p.

Which brings us to your next question. The XBR4 iteration of the 32" Sony accepts 1080p signals. I'm not sure, but I don't believe last year's model did that. Basically that means that you can set your upscaling source material to 1080p and your XBR4 will accept the signal and downconvert it to 720p. Opinions may vary on this, but it's not really necessary to set your Oppo to 1080p, since your native resolution is closer to 720p. Basically, if the source material (DVD Movie) is 480p then your Oppo will upscale it to 1080p and your TV will downscale it to 720p. Leaving your Oppo at 720p my reduce an unnecessary scaling step. Try both settings and see what looks best to you, and if you can't notice a difference either way then don't stress it.

Brandon
post #288 of 5494 Old 09-23-2007, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTY PELICAN View Post

A few pages back, post #185 I believe, someone posted this... "Anyone who bought this tv and does not have a blu-ray or hd-dvd with hdmi1.3 deep color is missing the point, one of those is a must and make sure it has the hdmi deep color."

Sorry to disappoint you, but it is NOT yet possible to actually see the benefits of the new "deep color" HDMI 1.3 processing.

Even though you have a display or receiver with 1.3 capability, the content source [Blu-ray or HD-DVD disc] MUST also be mastered in 1.3, and the player MUST output that disc's signal in 1.3.

To date, NO disc has been released with HDMI 1.3 mastering, so at this time it's still not yet possible for any consumer to see the effects (outside of tech labs who've used the technology).

You can learn more at the official website - http://www.hdmi.org/

I guess i must be confused then, are xvycc and deep color the same thing? i can definitley tell the difference when the xvycc function is enabled on my onkyo 705. I did a test on the bd of world trade center. In the scene where they have just been covered in rubble you can see there lips with the xvycc turned off on the reciever the nic cages lips look a soft red with the function turned on the red of his lips jumped off the screen. it is a noticable difference. i just read the hdmi faq and it seems that they are different xvycc relates to a broader color space. so i guess ididn't mean deep color i meant xvycc color. It does seem however that you need hdmi 1.3 devices in order to gets the benefits of this function, and it was a noticable difference to me in that specific scene. Through xvycc you can see 1.8 times the amount of color. I do believe that anyone who gets this tv without having a blue ray or hd dvd compliant with hdmi 1.3 is missing the true ptential and mind blowing capabilities the xbr 4 offers
post #289 of 5494 Old 09-23-2007, 02:21 PM

xvycc and deep color are different names for the same feature. Actually 10 bit color provides for 64 times as many colors as 8 bit color because it provides for 4 times as many shades for the 3 different-colored pixels and 4*4*4 = 64.

Regardless of how many colors could be produced by the set, if the source disk only has 8 bit color codes on it, then the set will only be able to produce what it is given so Rusty Pelican in right that both the source has to be coded for deep color and the tv has to be able to display it.
post #290 of 5494 Old 09-23-2007, 02:35 PM

I can't get the colors realistic enough and still be bright for football. Any ideas?

Here's my current setup for football. I change Temp to Cool and lower the brightness for regular channels and movies, which works fairly well. Thanks.

Picture = Custom
Cinemotion = off
Brightness: 55
Temp: neutral

White Balance:

post #291 of 5494 Old 09-23-2007, 02:39 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Yes, it automatically upscales. All of these LCD TVs are fixed pixel displays, meaning it can only show content in it's native resolution. So no matter what resolution it receives (480i, 480p, 1080i, etc), it's going to scale it to it's native 720/768p.

Which brings us to your next question. The XBR4 iteration of the 32" Sony accepts 1080p signals. I'm not sure, but I don't believe last year's model did that. Basically that means that you can set your upscaling source material to 1080p and your XBR4 will accept the signal and downconvert it to 720p. Opinions may vary on this, but it's not really necessary to set your Oppo to 1080p, since your native resolution is closer to 720p. Basically, if the source material (DVD Movie) is 480p then your Oppo will upscale it to 1080p and your TV will downscale it to 720p. Leaving your Oppo at 720p my reduce an unnecessary scaling step. Try both settings and see what looks best to you, and if you can't notice a difference either way then don't stress it.

Brandon

Thanx Brandon. So, what does it mean when it says that this display has 1080/60p and 1080/24 capability. Is it refering to what you mentioned earlier about accepting this type of signal and then downconverting to 720p? p.

Here's a link to where i read this: http://www.itechnews.net/2007/02/28/...xbr4-lcd-hdtv/

MrJ

My TV is powered by coal. 
post #292 of 5494 Old 09-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanx Brandon. So, what does it mean when it says that this display has 1080/60p and 1080/24 capability. Is it refering to what you mentioned earlier about accepting this type of signal and then downconverting to 720p? p.

Here's a link to where i read this: http://www.itechnews.net/2007/02/28/...xbr4-lcd-hdtv/

MrJ

Here's what the Sony website syas re: 32xbr4:

XBR4 series features: 720p, Motionflow 120Hz, BRAVIA Engine EX, 10-bit display panel and processing, 1080/24p input capable (720p native resolution)

XBR series televisions represent the very best Sony has to offer in high definition viewing.

Looks as though they are saying that it will accept 1080p as input, but will only show it in it's native resolution of 720p, which is what Brandon was getting at, I think.
post #293 of 5494 Old 09-23-2007, 07:56 PM

Currently have the 32 xbr4, but im sure motionflow and cinemotion are the same on that as they are on the big daddies.

If motionflow is set on high by itself with cinemotion off I dont get the 3dish insane stage like picture, no matter what feed. Also, for example on a football game, there is nothing like that even with auto1 turned on, however, there is absolutely no motion blur which im pleased with. I realize that cinemotion only works for film-based stuff so does that mean that motionflow, by itself, doesnt do any of the speeding up that you get with auto1? I honestly cant tell when motionflow is on by itself because now I am used to seeing no blur. =/

I am currently testing to see whether i prefer auto2 for film-based which disables motion-flow completely. Also trying to see whether I can find a better definition for the two types of cinemotion.

Finally being as this is a calibration thread, I posted mine in the 32inch forum for the xbr4 if anyone is interested. Curious to see whether im blind or not.
post #294 of 5494 Old 09-23-2007, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishi View Post

Currently have the 32 xbr4, but im sure motionflow and cinemotion are the same on that as they are on the big daddies.

If motionflow is set on high by itself with cinemotion off I dont get the 3dish insane stage like picture, no matter what feed. Also, for example on a football game, there is nothing like that even with auto1 turned on, however, there is absolutely no motion blur which im pleased with. I realize that cinemotion only works for film-based stuff so does that mean that motionflow, by itself, doesnt do any of the speeding up that you get with auto1? I honestly cant tell when motionflow is on by itself because now I am used to seeing no blur. =/

I am currently testing to see whether i prefer auto2 for film-based which disables motion-flow completely. Also trying to see whether I can find a better definition for the two types of cinemotion.

Finally being as this is a calibration thread, I posted mine in the 32inch forum for the xbr4 if anyone is interested. Curious to see whether im blind or not.

I'd like to take this time to thank Sony for not fully explaining what the differences are between Cinemotion Auto 1, 2 and Motion Enhancer standard & high. Thank you so much for giving us these features and not telling us what they do.

52XBR4
55HX929
post #295 of 5494 Old 09-23-2007, 08:37 PM

theyre probably more marketing than anything else.
post #296 of 5494 Old 09-23-2007, 08:38 PM

i mean have you tried them? i have. the difference is not noticeable. if it wasnt, people wouldn't be posting wondering what the hell it does. i have an xbr4 and know it's decent. the motion thing is slightly noticeable. cinemotion? not so much.
post #297 of 5494 Old 09-23-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reemas View Post

i mean have you tried them? i have. the difference is not noticeable. if it wasnt, people wouldn't be posting wondering what the hell it does. i have an xbr4 and know it's decent. the motion thing is slightly noticeable. cinemotion? not so much.

the cinemotion in auto1 you can definitely tell when its on, that is, when motionflow is on as well. You get that 3d stage like look like you actually there. The auto2 however, disables motionflow, but there is still no blur, so im thinking it might be for the 24p true cinema? In owners manual it says that auto 2 is for showing the original film how it was intended to be shown so that is my best guess.

Maybe it more pronounced on a 32 incher i dunno. I can certainly tell when auto1 and motionflow high are on. Of course, in the manual it says certain feeds dont work with it, i.e. live tv like a news cast or a sports cast. But the motionflow jumps in on those and takes out the blur. I used to have a samsung lnt-3253h and there is a vast difference in the blur.
post #298 of 5494 Old 09-23-2007, 10:56 PM

The limited edition of halo 3 now comes with an auidio and video calibration disc specific for the game. The gamespot nere me is sold out of Halo 3 limited editon in pre orders, so i have to settle for the regulaur edition. I have the 52' xbr 4 and would love oto see someones settings based on this disc. I know i can order the limitted edition off the net but i can't wait that long i need halo 3 at midnight. i can't wait to see it in all its glory on my set. i would really appreciate someone posting their settings based on this calibration disc. I think this is a great idea and more games should have it.
post #299 of 5494 Old 09-24-2007, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

MrJ

Yes, it means it will accept that type of signal. Accepting 1080/24 is interesting. I'm not sure if there's any benefit of accepting 1080p24 if they have to scale it down to 720p unless it doesn't have to apply the 3:2 pulldown. Does anybody know if the 32XBR4 is capable of displaying 1080p24 content at 720p24???

Brandon
post #300 of 5494 Old 09-24-2007, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishi View Post

the cinemotion in auto1 you can definitely tell when its on, that is, when motionflow is on as well. You get that 3d stage like look like you actually there. The auto2 however, disables motionflow, but there is still no blur, so im thinking it might be for the 24p true cinema? In owners manual it says that auto 2 is for showing the original film how it was intended to be shown so that is my best guess.

Maybe it more pronounced on a 32 incher i dunno. I can certainly tell when auto1 and motionflow high are on. Of course, in the manual it says certain feeds dont work with it, i.e. live tv like a news cast or a sports cast. But the motionflow jumps in on those and takes out the blur. I used to have a samsung lnt-3253h and there is a vast difference in the blur.

For somereason cinemotion is explained in the 32" manual but not in the 52" I usually leave motion enhancer on standard, but sometimes when I also put cinemotion on Auto1 the image will judder, Auto2 - I haven't decided yet and off looks just fine.

52XBR4
55HX929
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 52xbr5 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 32xbr4 32 Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page