Official Sony XBR4/XBR5 calibration thread - Page 110 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3271 of 5495 Old 04-03-2008, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks to everybody for helping me as I continue to figure out my 32xbr4. Here are my latest questions if somebody can please take a stab at them!

1. I am trying the power save level at low. My understanding is that I will get better blacks out of this. If I turn up the backlight a bit, am I completely counteracting the effect?

2. Speaking of blacks, I was surprised when DVE had my brightness calibrated at 61 (seems a lot higher than everybody else here). I lowered it until the third black bar just vanished. Does this setting seem off?

3. Feed problem, or tv setting problem? Ever watch an hd channel and notice a "twitching" in fine detail? For example, say it is an outdoor scene and you focus on the details of the dirt and notice that it seems to twitch in and out of focus, kinda rhythmic. Only on the fine details though, the rest looks great. Thoughts?

4. I still seek the "pop" that people talk about. I like a bit of edge around objects to make them stand out, but this particular model does not have edge enhancer. Any tricks to make objects stand out more (especially for sports)!

Thanks again for any assistance that you might be able to provide. I truly appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3272 of 5495 Old 04-03-2008, 12:33 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosawx08 View Post

thanks to everybody for helping me as I continue to figure out my 32xbr4. Here are my latest questions if somebody can please take a stab at them!

1. I am trying the power save level at low. My understanding is that I will get better blacks out of this. If I turn up the backlight a bit, am I completely counteracting the effect?

I have mine on low too. I don't think you're counteracting the effect if you jack the brightness a little.

Quote:

2. Speaking of blacks, I was surprised when DVE had my brightness calibrated at 61 (seems a lot higher than everybody else here). I lowered it until the third black bar just vanished. Does this setting seem off?

That was my initial result too. After some tweaking with miscellaneous settings I got back down to the 50's.

Quote:

3. Feed problem, or tv setting problem? Ever watch an hd channel and notice a "twitching" in fine detail? For example, say it is an outdoor scene and you focus on the details of the dirt and notice that it seems to twitch in and out of focus, kinda rhythmic. Only on the fine details though, the rest looks great. Thoughts?

I think that's artifacting caused by motionflow high. The image processor is doing its best to isolate characters from the moving background. You get unbelievable clarity and smoothness in the background as the camera pans, but sometimes this is accompanied by noise around the characters moving across that background. Turn off motionflow and see if I'm right. Then you have to decide whether you prefer reduced motion clarity or some artifacting. I'm constantly turning motionflow on and off depending on what I'm watching.

Quote:

4. I still seek the "pop" that people talk about. I like a bit of edge around objects to make them stand out, but this particular model does not have edge enhancer. Any tricks to make objects stand out more (especially for sports)!

There is an edge enhancement setting, as long as you're not in the vivid mode. And if your source is less than 1080p maybe playing wih the DRC pallete will help. I get lots of "pop" from vivid, and that's the way my kids like it, but I usually watch TV and movies in a darkened room in the evening, and I like to let me eyes relax a little, so I've got it pretty soft for most sources.

No expert here, just a week or so of experience. Good luck!
post #3273 of 5495 Old 04-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Use a dialed back version of Vivid for sports.
post #3274 of 5495 Old 04-03-2008, 01:36 PM

Interesting thought on the motion enhancer. I do use Auto 2 and motion high because Auto 1 and motion high were just a bit to comical for me. I will dial back motionflow to see what it looks like (I have been getting a bit of blurring also, my guess is the same reason).

I was under the impression that the 32" does not have an edge enhancer or DCR Pallette? I have ACE, Gamma, Black Corrector, Color spread, and live color, but no edge enhance, unless located in another menu?

Also, so by "dialing back" vivid, would that mostly be less backlight and contrast?
post #3275 of 5495 Old 04-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Change whatever looks best to you. I tweaked 6 of the 10 Vivid settings.
post #3276 of 5495 Old 04-03-2008, 03:11 PM

alll the bitch'n i do about this t.v for smearing i still thinks it's the best out there. I was watching the cbs hd feed of how i met your mother in the standard mode and it was stunning!!! I have controled the smearing and bowed down to sony and an excepting that this is "as good as it gets"!!! keep the great calb. info coming.
post #3277 of 5495 Old 04-03-2008, 05:03 PM

Are there any opinions on the best calibration for SD channels? I am a bit unhappy up to this point with my 46" XBR4. I know part of the problem was the fact I used to watch on a 30" Toshiba CRT. Thanks for any advice.

Jon

P.S. ANyone know what page Schlick's cali. is on?
post #3278 of 5495 Old 04-03-2008, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
for blu-ray movies, shouldnt you have motion enhancer set to Off and cinemotion set to Auto1.
post #3279 of 5495 Old 04-03-2008, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
post #3280 of 5495 Old 04-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlick View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post13328686

Post 2918

Schlick

You're famous!!!
post #3281 of 5495 Old 04-04-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vumcrab View Post

You're famous!!!

"I'll make ya famous" - Name the movie, ha.

Schlick's cali is the best for my taste so far. It's just right for HD and pretty damn good for SD too. However, if it's possible I'd like to get SD ever sharper. I have noticed when my daughter watches her cartoons on Noggin (I have TW digital cable in Kansas City. I don't know what level Noggin is but it shows better than SD but it's not HD) the outline of the characters looks pretty sharp but it's like there are pixels of shadows on either side of the outlines that make the image appear to be not sharp. I think it's just going to be a matter of getting used to a much larger set than the 30" crt I used to watch.

Also, I didn't get a chance to fire up the 360 last night after I re-calibrated but is Schlick's cali. good for playing FPS like CoD4? I played it earlier in the evening on vivid. No way will that work. Not to mention, again, switching to a 46" from 30" is going to take some getting used to. Does the gaming mode help? I have read that it increases smearing so it's best to leave it off which leads to my last question. I have read that a firmware update could possibly fix something like smearing. Is it a possibility Sony will do something along thos e lines? I hate to think I spent $2k+ for a television I won't be happy with. Please, someone, tell me I would be having issues as well had I gone with a plasma. Thanks.

Jon
post #3282 of 5495 Old 04-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerJon View Post

Schlick's cali is the best for my taste so far. It's just right for HD and pretty damn good for SD too. However, if it's possible I'd like to get SD ever sharper. I have noticed when my daughter watches her cartoons on Noggin (I have TW digital cable in Kansas City. I don't know what level Noggin is but it shows better than SD but it's not HD) the outline of the characters looks pretty sharp but it's like there are pixels of shadows on either side of the outlines that make the image appear to be not sharp. I think it's just going to be a matter of getting used to a much larger set than the 30" crt I used to watch.

Also, I didn't get a chance to fire up the 360 last night after I re-calibrated but is Schlick's cali. good for playing FPS like CoD4? I played it earlier in the evening on vivid. No way will that work. Not to mention, again, switching to a 46" from 30" is going to take some getting used to. Does the gaming mode help? I have read that it increases smearing so it's best to leave it off which leads to my last question. I have read that a firmware update could possibly fix something like smearing. Is it a possibility Sony will do something along thos e lines? I hate to think I spent $2k+ for a television I won't be happy with. Please, someone, tell me I would be having issues as well had I gone with a plasma. Thanks.

Jon

Jon,

Game_mode=On will automatically turn off motion enhancer and disable the auto dimming feature. The idea behind game_mode is to eliminate interpolation of frames (ME=Off) thereby increasing response time to the controller.

Finding the right balance of settings that make SD and HD look their best at the same time may be difficult at best, but many have found a good compromise. My advise would be to work toward ridding your life of SD the best you can and do it quick. You have a top-of-the-line HD display device. Feed it HD, which is what it's hungry for. You wouldn't put Rosie O'Donnell in a bikini, so don't watch SD on your xbr any more than you have to.

As for the smearing....have you seen it? Have you looked for it and still don't see it? If not, then don't hassle it. Just remember to keep noise_reduction turned OFF when watching any kind of HD material and set to LOW for SD only.
post #3283 of 5495 Old 04-04-2008, 01:20 PM

Someone else give this a go. I think this is an amalgamation of several different setup I got from the first few page of this thread. I use the same calibration for BD, HD-Satellite Box, and PC connection. The TV is a XBR4 40".

Setting:
Custom Mode:
Backlight: Max
Picture: 90
Brightness: 54
Contrast: 54
Sharpness: 64
Color Temp: Neutral
NR: off
MR: off
DRC: off

Black Level Enhancer: low
Contrast Level Enhancer: low
Gamma: low
Detail Enhancer: low
Edge Enhancer: low

ME: off(on for Satellite box)
Cinemotion: off
Game/Text Mode: on for PC connection, off for the rest

Power Saving to Low
Light Sensor is ON(without this the max backlight looks too overly bright, I am not sure if this is overlapping the backlight setting if I can just set backlight to a lower level, but I suppose by doing it like this the TV sets the backlight to appropreate level)

WB:
R:Gain-2
G-Gain:-4
B-Gain:-10
R-Bias:-4
G-Bias:-4
B-Bias:1
post #3284 of 5495 Old 04-04-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:

...Young Guns....... Great Film
post #3285 of 5495 Old 04-04-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:

"Gov. Spitzer Goes To Washington?"
post #3286 of 5495 Old 04-04-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramoats View Post

...Young Guns....... Great Film

Young guns 2......the sequal, Quote: "I'll make ya famous, dick"
post #3287 of 5495 Old 04-05-2008, 01:14 AM

wanted to say thanks to all the calibration settings that were posted. ive tried quite a few and cant get what i want. im looking for something similar to the stock "vivid" setting. i like lots of pop and brightness. i was wondering, does any one have any calibration settings similar to "vivid"? if you do please share, thanks in advance
post #3288 of 5495 Old 04-05-2008, 02:16 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by p00hchu View Post

wanted to say thanks to all the calibration settings that were posted. ive tried quite a few and cant get what i want. im looking for something similar to the stock "vivid" setting. i like lots of pop and brightness. i was wondering, does any one have any calibration settings similar to "vivid"? if you do please share, thanks in advance

If you like the stock vivid setting, why change it?
post #3289 of 5495 Old 04-05-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vumcrab View Post

Jon,

You wouldn't put Rosie O'Donnell in a bikini, so don't watch SD on your xbr any more than you have to.

HAHAHAHAHA......So true.

That has to be one of the best analogies I've heard regarding SD and HD......Pure Genius I tell you.
post #3290 of 5495 Old 04-05-2008, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machael View Post

HAHAHAHAHA......So true.

That has to be one of the best analogies I've heard regarding SD and HD......Pure Genius I tell you.

Agreed!

Manhattan Supremacist
post #3291 of 5495 Old 04-05-2008, 03:46 PM

Liked: 13
You guys have killed me over the past month reading every single post in this thread! Finally made it to the end and one question that I still have is Deb, did you ever hook your XBR to an external antenna as opposed to trying to adjust your picture through the FIOS box? Best I could tell the answer was no. Having FIOS here in N. Texas I can say that I have not experienced any of the problems that others have encountered EXCEPT for the green line issue. I don't think anyone ever actually addressed the source nor the solution. The vertical green line which appears on the right side of the screen using the Moto HD DVR through Verizon has a bug in the software which when attached to a 1080p capable set produces the line. This is a known issue and reportedly will be corrected in the next software revision. The way to avoid it is to go into the STB/DVR menu (hidden menu) and set the output signal for HD to 720p. Problem solved pending Verizon update.

Thanks to Petmic10 for his calibration settings. I've been using his for the last month (as long as I've had the set) with the only modification being the color adjustments using VE (not DVE). Now, off to get some rest before the Final Four games (poor Longhorns last weekend). Hook 'Em!
post #3292 of 5495 Old 04-05-2008, 03:49 PM

Anyone have any ISF recommendations for D-FW area? Might make for a nice BDay present in a couple of months.
post #3293 of 5495 Old 04-05-2008, 05:57 PM
veg

Quote:
Originally Posted by teasip View Post

You guys have killed me over the past month reading every single post in this thread! Finally made it to the end and one question that I still have is Deb, did you ever hook your XBR to an external antenna as opposed to trying to adjust your picture through the FIOS box? Best I could tell the answer was no. Having FIOS here in N. Texas I can say that I have not experienced any of the problems that others have encountered EXCEPT for the green line issue. I don't think anyone ever actually addressed the source nor the solution. The vertical green line which appears on the right side of the screen using the Moto HD DVR through Verizon has a bug in the software which when attached to a 1080p capable set produces the line. This is a known issue and reportedly will be corrected in the next software revision. The way to avoid it is to go into the STB/DVR menu (hidden menu) and set the output signal for HD to 720p. Problem solved pending Verizon update.

Thanks to Petmic10 for his calibration settings. I've been using his for the last month (as long as I've had the set) with the only modification being the color adjustments using VE (not DVE). Now, off to get some rest before the Final Four games (poor Longhorns last weekend). Hook 'Em!

Just read your post. Is it me that you are mentioning? About the FIOS? I did get the green line for a bit when I had my settings set with full pixel. I changed that setting to something else and the green line is gone. As for some other quality issues with the FIOS, they are still present. I am tired of dealing with Verizon for now. I did finally get an HD DVR, so I do have some HD content to watch. Now however, alot of the content on Food network and HGTV are not true HD. Some of it is a stretched version of SD. And it really stinks quality wise. They were 2 of the best HD channels picture wise.

Have a great day..........Debbie!!!
post #3294 of 5495 Old 04-05-2008, 06:02 PM

Yes ma'am, I was referencing the difficulties that you were experiencing. Did you ever try your signal quality with an over the air antenna, assuming that it is even an option in your particular instance?
post #3295 of 5495 Old 04-05-2008, 06:09 PM
veg

Quote:
Originally Posted by teasip View Post

Yes ma'am, I was referencing the difficulties that you were experiencing. Did you ever try your signal quality with an over the air antenna, assuming that it is even an option in your particular instance?

No....we never tried sn antenna. We had scanned with the quam tuner and had got some HD channels that came in pretty good....but limited. Shortly after that we had received the HD DVR.

Thanks for asking and following the saga.....lol.

Have a great day..........Debbie!!!
post #3296 of 5495 Old 04-06-2008, 02:35 PM

Hi all,

My mother just picked up this television set and I just set it up for her. I've used the settings Schlick had in this post:

The probelm? The set seems incredibily heaving on the blues so much that the it almost seems like red is non-existant. Is this a known issue with the set? At first I tried HD WPT poker which was pretty blue and then I jumped to the ESPN HD basketball game which almost had no reds.

What could this be? Does the set just need time to warm in or something silly?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

vizuäl
post #3297 of 5495 Old 04-06-2008, 02:55 PM

If you have your set in the cool color temp setting, you need to change the white balance a bit.. In neutral its fine though.

Are you missing a color channel? Have you checked your connections? Tried a different input maybe? A different cable?

If you are simply not seeing any red there is certainly a problem. You need to determine whether its a defective TV, one of your settings, or a physical connection problem.
post #3298 of 5495 Old 04-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizual View Post

Hi all,

My mother just picked up this television set and I just set it up for her. I've used the settings Schlick had in this post:

The probelm? The set seems incredibily heaving on the blues so much that the it almost seems like red is non-existant. Is this a known issue with the set? At first I tried HD WPT poker which was pretty blue and then I jumped to the ESPN HD basketball game which almost had no reds.

What could this be? Does the set just need time to warm in or something silly?

Thanks in advance!

Have you tried any other settings before thinking there is a problem with the set? There are many to try but start with bplewis post #1170 and lrstevens421 post #2822.
post #3299 of 5495 Old 04-06-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknomo View Post

If you have your set in the cool color temp setting, you need to change the white balance a bit.. In neutral its fine though.

Are you missing a color channel? Have you checked your connections? Tried a different input maybe? A different cable?

If you are simply not seeing any red there is certainly a problem. You need to determine whether its a defective TV, one of your settings, or a physical connection problem.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Upon further inspection and chastizing from the mother I proceeded to double check the connections the cable guy had made the day before - and he incorrectly plugged in the components on the back of the set top box.

Sorry for the troubles! Television looks stellar now! Almost want to upgrade my panny 50 DLP at home myself.

Cheers,

vizuäl
post #3300 of 5495 Old 04-06-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p00hchu View Post

Some of the listed calibrations do have pop. I am guessing that what you are missing is that most of the folks do not use Color Space "wide" mode, but use 'Standard' for a more realistic color. But, wide color will make your picture look much more Vivid like. You may have to tame down the color and brightness. Marc, Schlick, and others like myself have certain somewhat similar preferences for using some of the advanced processing options.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 52xbr5 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 32xbr4 32 Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 52xbr4 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page