Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpey326 View Post

vumcrab' settings:

In picture mode CUSTOM, I use gordong11's settings posted HERE on the cal thread. This is what I use 99.99% of the time. When I occasionally set DRC=Mode1 for HD stuff, I also set MPEG_NR=High.

In picture mode STANDARD, I use R.MnTnA's settings posted HERE on the cal thread.

In picture mode CINEMA, I use the Home Theater Mag settings.

"Every now and then, I flip between these 3 modes just to experiment with different programming. I'm using Comcast cable via HDMI connections to a Motorola 3416 STB."

Slumpey,

thanks for doing this. I'm reposting my reply because the URL links are missing above

In picture mode CUSTOM, I use gordong11's settings posted HERE on the cal thread. This is what I use 99.99% of the time. When I occasionally set DRC=Mode1 for HD stuff, I also set MPEG_NR=High.

In picture mode STANDARD, I use R.MnTnA's settings posted HERE on the cal thread.

In picture mode CINEMA, I use the Home Theater Mag settings.

"Every now and then, I flip between these 3 modes just to experiment with different programming. I'm using Comcast cable via HDMI connections to a Motorola 3416 STB."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 5495 Old 10-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

These have been my settings for a while and I'm really happy with them. I've tried other's settings but they just don't work for me, perhaps it's my source but for me these are the best settings. Comments are welcome.

SA8300 STB via HDMI

Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 8
Picture: 80
Brightness: 50
Color: 55
Hue: 0
Color temp: Neutral
Sharpness: 60
Noise reduction: Low
MPEG noise reduction: Off/Low
DRC mode: Mode 1
DRC palette: Factory settings (this will automatically change for SD or HD)

Advanced Settings
Black corrector: Low
Advanced C.E: Low
Gamma: Low
Clear white: Off
Color space: Wide
Live color: Med
Detail enhancer: Low
Edge enhancer: Low

White Balance
R-Gain: 0
G-Gain: -3
B-Gain: 0
R-Bias: 0
G-Bias: -3
B-Bias: 0

Motion Enhancer: Standard (Sometimes on High or Off)
CineMotion: Auto 1 (Sometimes Auto 2 or Off)

Power saving: Off
Light sensor: Off

=======================================================

Xbox 360 on PC input via VGA cable (1080p) -- [I use the same settings for Wii on Component also]

Game mode: ON

Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 8
Picture: 80
Brightness: 50
Color: 55
Color temp: Neutral
Sharpness: 60
Noise reduction: Off
MPEG noise reduction: Off
DRC mode: Off

Advanced Settings
Black corrector: Low
Advanced C.E: Low
Gamma: Low
Clear white: Off
Color space: Wide
Live color: Med
Detail enhancer: Off
Edge enhancer: Low

White Balance
R-Gain: 0
G-Gain: 0
B-Gain: 0
R-Bias: 0
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 0

Motion Enhancer: Off
CineMotion: Off

Power saving: Off
Light sensor: Off

52XBR4
55HX929
post #543 of 5495 Old 10-11-2007, 03:18 PM

Hello, everyone. First post.

I bought a 46XBR4 in August and have been frequenting these forums (lurking) and reading up on various people's settings and experiences with this TV.

I like this TV a lot, but there's one thing that is bugging me. For starters here are my display settings. They were gordong's but a little tweaked.

Custom:

Backlight: Min
Picture: 90
Brightness: 45
Color: 60
Temp: COOL
Sharpness: 64
Noise Reduc: Off
Mpeg: Off
DRC: Off

Black Corrector: Off
Advanced C.E.: Off
Gamma: Off
C White: Off
C Space: Standard
Live Color: Low

White Balance:

R Gain: -3
G Gain: -4
B Gain: -2
R Bias: +3
G Bias: -2
B Bias: +4

Detail Enhancer: Off
Edge Enhancer: Off

Cinemotion: Auto2
Motion Enhancer: Off (I've fooled with these settings though, and can't seem to correct the issue)

Anyway, I use these settings to watch Blu-ray on my PS3 and have been noticing that when the camera pans left and right, or when someone moves through the screen left or right (it doesn't happen when the camera follows the person), there is a severe loss of detail and it makes the screen hard to look at (hurts my eyes).

The BD I've been testing this with is Reign Over Me, and in scenes in the courthouse and offices, the walls look like they move back and forth as the camera pans, and you can't focus on the actors as they move around. This isn't only in those scenes, but it's very easy to pick out in these particular ones.

So, my question is: Is this the judder effect or motion blur or both? I'm not real tech savvy when it comes to TVs so when people describe judder I'm not exactly sure if that's what I'm seeing. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this effect and any input they might have in resolving it.

Using Cinemotion 1 and Motionflow Standard/High seems to reduce/eliminate this, but as some other people in this thread have pointed out this can cause various artifacts on the picture.

Thanks for any help, sorry in advance for any confusion, and if I need to explain myself better I will certainly try.

Thanks.

EDIT: And to clarify it's not a smearing effect like when noise reduction is turned on, it isn't nearly as smooth of a blur as that effect.
post #544 of 5495 Old 10-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcring View Post

Hello, everyone. First post.

I bought a 46XBR4 in August and have been frequenting these forums (lurking) and reading up on various people's settings and experiences with this TV.

I like this TV a lot, but there's one thing that is bugging me. For starters here are my display settings. They were gordong's but a little tweaked.

Custom:

Backlight: Min
Picture: 90
Brightness: 45
Color: 60
Temp: COOL
Sharpness: 64
Noise Reduc: Off
Mpeg: Off
DRC: Off

Black Corrector: Off
Advanced C.E.: Off
Gamma: Off
C White: Off
C Space: Standard
Live Color: Low

White Balance:

R Gain: -3
G Gain: -4
B Gain: -2
R Bias: +3
G Bias: -2
B Bias: +4

Detail Enhancer: Off
Edge Enhancer: Off

Cinemotion: Auto2
Motion Enhancer: Off (I've fooled with these settings though, and can't seem to correct the issue)

Anyway, I use these settings to watch Blu-ray on my PS3 and have been noticing that when the camera pans left and right, or when someone moves through the screen left or right (it doesn't happen when the camera follows the person), there is a severe loss of detail and it makes the screen hard to look at (hurts my eyes).

The BD I've been testing this with is Reign Over Me, and in scenes in the courthouse and offices, the walls look like they move back and forth as the camera pans, and you can't focus on the actors as they move around. This isn't only in those scenes, but it's very easy to pick out in these particular ones.

So, my question is: Is this the judder effect or motion blur or both? I'm not real tech savvy when it comes to TVs so when people describe judder I'm not exactly sure if that's what I'm seeing. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this effect and any input they might have in resolving it.

Using Cinemotion 1 and Motionflow Standard/High seems to reduce/eliminate this, but as some other people in this thread have pointed out this can cause various artifacts on the picture.

Thanks for any help, sorry in advance for any confusion, and if I need to explain myself better I will certainly try.

Thanks.

EDIT: And to clarify it's not a smearing effect like when noise reduction is turned on, it isn't nearly as smooth of a blur as that effect.

When you set Cinemotion(CM) to Auto2, it automatically turns Motion Enhancer (ME) Off. Set it to CM=Auto1 and ME=Standard. Now, what kind of artifacts do you get when you use CM=auto1 and ME=Std.? How is the PS3 connected (HDMI, Component, etc.)? What is the output resolution set to on the PS3?
post #545 of 5495 Old 10-11-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vumcrab View Post

When you set Cinemotion(CM) to Auto2, it automatically turns Motion Enhancer (ME) Off. Set it to CM=Auto1 and ME=Standard. Now, what kind of artifacts do you get when you use CM=auto1 and ME=Std.? How is the PS3 connected (HDMI, Component, etc.)? What is the output resolution set to on the PS3?

I will test this when I get off work tomorrow (hitting the sack now), but just from memory:

I did various testing with the cinemotions and motionflows. I have tried:

(Cinemotion/Motionflow)
Off/off - the effect happens
auto1/off - the effect happens
auto1/standard - it is lessened, but minor artifacting when people move around it seems to be like little squares form around the movement.
auto1/high - Smooth, but with the weird "Soap Opera" type movement, and some artifacts
Auto2/any variation - the effect happens

Like I said I will try it again tomorrow. I would definitely say Auto1/Standard would be a good way to go, but objects/people moving across the screen seem to make it (for lack of a better term) pixellate.

Thanks for your help.
post #546 of 5495 Old 10-11-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:

I will test this when I get off work tomorrow (hitting the sack now), but just from memory:

(Cinemotion/Motionflow)
auto1/standard - it is lessened, but minor artifacting when people move around it seems to be like little squares form around the movement.
auto1/high - Smooth, but with the weird "Soap Opera" type movement, and some artifacts

Like I said I will try it again tomorrow. I would definitely say Auto1/Standard would be a good way to go, but objects/people moving across the screen seem to make it (for lack of a better term) pixellate.

Thanks for your help.

Not sure if the size of the screen would make it more noticeable but on my 32xbr4 if i turn off cinemotion and motionflow or just cinemotion and leave motionflow on i dont see judder with anything. Only time i ever see any distortion or anything like that is with auto1 and motionflow is Std or high...but still I like the 3d effect and can settle for 5% judder and 95% 3dish.
post #547 of 5495 Old 10-12-2007, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EADGBE View Post

Game mode is used to reduce the delay in processing from the source to the screen. You still need to adjust the display according to your preferences and what's available in game mode. Game mode turns off any features that will create delay. I use an original 360 via VGA on the PC input with game mode and it looks great. My settings might not help you though since you're using component.

Thanks open standard tuning. I ordered a VGA cable and will give it a shot.
post #548 of 5495 Old 10-12-2007, 04:53 PM

vumcrab: I tried turning DRC on to mode1 with the MPEG set to High last night. Love it! It eliminated any artifacts created by the DRC mode. I'm staying with this for all viewing as the PQ is better in my opinion with DRC on. Thanks for the tip.
post #549 of 5495 Old 10-13-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:

(Cinemotion/Motionflow)

Thanks for your help.

Just to confirm, the auto1/standard effect I tested out a few discs this afternoon. The judder (have we confirmed that's what this is?) is noticeably lessened, but as reported earlier some of the edges of the image at what seems like random times blur for a moment. Also, though not as apparent as auto1/high, the movement at times appears quickened and not natural looking.

Is it going to be pretty much one way or the other (the "judder" or the weird smoothness)?

I'm just curious what other people with this set have experienced as far as watching a BD disc or something similar?

And to answer a previous question I overlooked, I'm running the PS3 to the TV via HDMI, output is 1080/24p on BD.
post #550 of 5495 Old 10-14-2007, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YngwieDonut View Post

Thanks open standard tuning. I ordered a VGA cable and will give it a shot.

- Another good thing you'll like about the VGA cable is that the 360 will upconvert your standard DVD's as well. Plus it keeps an extra HDMI port free. Eventually I'll probably get a 360 with an HDMI out, but in the meantime this is working just fine. FYI - it's not a big deal for me but just so you know you can only watch the PC input in "normal" which works out to be the same as "full pixel." So you won't have access to any of the stretch modes. Not that it's a problem since full pixel is the best setting anyway but just so you know.

52XBR4
55HX929
post #551 of 5495 Old 10-14-2007, 09:21 PM

I made the switch to an HDMI cable last night with my Scientific Atlanta 8300 to my 52XBR4 and the quality of SD channels has vastly improved over the component cables. Also, It's very noticeable on HDMOV, one of my worst HD channels, which I now consider viewable. MOJO now looks fantastic. It's almost on par with HD Discovery. ESPN HD is nearly perfect, as it was with component in.

The verdict:
The good still looks good and the bad looks better.
Spend the $7 instead of the C-note for the Monster. Trust me, I have them both. I picked up an open box deal at BB and ordered a cheap cable through an Amazon seller. I can't tell squat between the two.

I use Gordong11's settings for everything except Showtime HD which looks a bit too blue. I have Home Theater Magazine's setting on my Theater Key to fix it.

In Hawaii, Oceanic Time Warner does not carry CBS due to our local affiliate, KGMB (boo-hiss), wanting some $$$ before they give out an HD feed. So, I ended up watching Dallas get pummeled in SD today. It's miserable to go from the 1st game in HD to the 2nd game in SD, but I actually tolerated it.

Oceanic Time Warner Cable in Hawaii (No Dish or OTA option for me)
Explorer 8300 HD via HDMI
And gordong11's settings.

Gordong11, You and your co-worker tekkie pal ROCK!
post #552 of 5495 Old 10-14-2007, 10:07 PM

Newbie's like me,
You can save Auto1 or Auto2 to the Theater key.
Just turn on your Theater key and save your choice. It's the fastest way to A/B them between Cinema and Theater On.
Unfortunately, It will not let you save your Motion Enhancer on, but it's easier to get to since it's available on the "Options" key on the remote.
post #553 of 5495 Old 10-14-2007, 10:56 PM

Does anybody have a really good setting for watching HD TV via an xbox 360 running component at 1080p??

I have had a fiddle but the blacks are really crushed, hope someone can help. Even if you don't watch TV via the xbox a good 360 setting would be most appreciated.
post #554 of 5495 Old 10-15-2007, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
YngwieDonut,

are you watching tv with cinemotion set to auto 1 and ME set to standard.
post #555 of 5495 Old 10-15-2007, 09:30 AM

Under the Video/Photo optimizer setting i noticed that if its set on video i get some judder and if its on video-A i get none
post #556 of 5495 Old 10-15-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig-Sauer View Post

Under the Video/Photo optimizer setting i noticed that if its set on video i get some judder and if its on video-A i get none

Is this if you're watching BD/DVD/TV? Any motion enhancement settings (cinemotion/motion enhancer)?

Thanks.
post #557 of 5495 Old 10-15-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpey326 View Post

YngwieDonut,

are you watching tv with cinemotion set to auto 1 and ME set to standard.

Nope. I'm using Auto2, but I'm only viewing HD 1080i Cable and some SD.

After using my Theater key to A/B Auto1 / Auto2 for hours, I've decided Auto2/Gordong11 looks the best with component in from my SA 8300 HD cable box, for most of my channels (99%).

Go with what looks best to you.
post #558 of 5495 Old 10-15-2007, 09:30 PM

Same results today for HDMI. Auto2 wins for my cable input.

Adrenaline Rush: Skydiving Risks is worth viewing on HDDSC.
post #559 of 5495 Old 10-16-2007, 07:02 PM

After setting the screen to full pixel mode instead of normal, I see artifacts at the top of the screen on SD and some HD commercials. Any idea what this is?

Thanks,
Mark
post #560 of 5495 Old 10-16-2007, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfeifer View Post

After setting the screen to full pixel mode instead of normal, I see artifacts at the top of the screen on SD and some HD commercials. Any idea what this is?

Thanks,
Mark

It's normal, you just never noticed it before because your last TV had "overscan" and didn't show the entire broadcast like full pixel does.

52XBR4
55HX929
post #561 of 5495 Old 10-16-2007, 09:27 PM

i got a question, you know if you set picture and color up high in the 80's and 90's, does that use alot of your lamp life? Or does it only count on the backlight and brightness? I'm trying to get the best color/picture setting and lowest so I can conserve this xbr4's lamp life.
post #562 of 5495 Old 10-16-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosko View Post

Does anybody have a really good setting for watching HD TV via an xbox 360 running component at 1080p??

I have had a fiddle but the blacks are really crushed, hope someone can help. Even if you don't watch TV via the xbox a good 360 setting would be most appreciated.

for me I use the 360 via component, 1080p. my settings

picture mode: vivid
backlight: 4
picture: 67
brightness: 54
color: 62
hue: 0
color temperature: cool
shaprness: 86
noise reduction: off
mpeg noise reduction: off
drc mode: mode 1

And when I watch hddvd movies on the xbox 360 I change the color to 57 because on movies 62 looks too over saturated and 57 looks more natural and real, but 62 looks perfect on games. Oh and I use this in the dark.
post #563 of 5495 Old 10-17-2007, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPMSR View Post

vumcrab: I tried turning DRC on to mode1 with the MPEG set to High last night. Love it! It eliminated any artifacts created by the DRC mode. I'm staying with this for all viewing as the PQ is better in my opinion with DRC on. Thanks for the tip.

Hmm, puzzled over this setting. If I remember correctly some review mentioned that turning on the DRC caused the XBR to fail a resolution test, but I see that posters are turning the DRC setting to on to eliminate artifacts. Does this setting affect the resolution?
post #564 of 5495 Old 10-17-2007, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPMSR View Post

No worries, Mate.

I've had my set for 16 days now and I think I'm done messing with the settings. Finally, I can sit back at WATCH! The baseball playoffs (Clev. vs. Boston) on HD last night was fantastic.
post #565 of 5495 Old 10-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinNJ View Post

Hmm, puzzled over this setting. If I remember correctly some review mentioned that turning on the DRC caused the XBR to fail a resolution test, but I see that posters are turning the DRC setting to on to eliminate artifacts. Does this setting affect the resolution?

True.

I have a "Love-Hate" relationship with this setting. I like it for most HD stuff, but not so much with SD. Folks usually like it for the "punch" it gives images. For lack of a better term, someone called the noise it introduces "sparkles" which I think fits well. It usually shows around the outlines of objects on the screen. Setting MPEG NR=High eliminates a lot of that for me.

Still waiting on Comcast to go MPEG4 and see if that helps so I can use DRC more.
post #566 of 5495 Old 10-17-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinNJ View Post

Test pattern results have clearly shown resolution loss from DRC, but resolution isn't necessarily everything, and some people clearly prefer to use the DRC. The conservative approach is to keep the DRC off unless you clearly prefer it and the tradeoff's it brings.

It's good to see the diversity of opinion in the postings on what people prefer, and to be reminded that preferred settings are subjective. One shouldn't blindly use posted settings without trying alternatives.
post #567 of 5495 Old 10-17-2007, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post

Test pattern results have clearly shown resolution loss from DRC, but resolution isn't necessarily everything, and some people clearly prefer to use the DRC. The conservative approach is to keep the DRC off unless you clearly prefer it and the tradeoff's it brings.

It's good to see the diversity of opinion in the postings on what people prefer, and to be reminded that preferred settings are subjective. One shouldn't blindly use posted settings without trying alternatives.

I would like to see this information can someone please post links.

Samsung D7000 65"
Onkyo 905
BIH F12
6x Energy RC-10
WMC ceton4 DVR/Media PC
post #568 of 5495 Old 10-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post

Amen to what Pete said....
post #569 of 5495 Old 10-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vumcrab View Post

No worries, Mate.

I've had my set for 16 days now and I think I'm done messing with the settings. Finally, I can sit back at WATCH! The baseball playoffs (Clev. vs. Boston) on HD last night was fantastic.

I was watching that too, I'm very happy with this set. OT - but I thought Boston would be doing better in this series.

52XBR4
55HX929
post #570 of 5495 Old 10-17-2007, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EADGBE View Post

I was watching that too, I'm very happy with this set. OT - but I thought Boston would be doing better in this series.

Go Red Sox!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 52xbr5 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 32xbr4 32 Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 52xbr4 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page