post #721 of 5494 Old 11-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix08 View Post

The picture mode was standard. Game/text mode was off. I am seeing more motion blur (especilly for close-up shots as you mentioned) with ME being off than on. However, the difference was sutble, definitely not a night/day difference. Overall, I think that XBR4 is better W3000. I am justing wondering why I can't see a greater difference between ME being on and off and an effect of CineMotion like everybody else. I will get blueray to test the CineMotion.

Motion blur is one of those subjective things. Some will see it more (me) and others will not. I noticed a big difference when wathcing Borat last week. When Borat and his fat manager were wrestling naked in their hotel room, I noticed a big difference in ME Off and Standard.

Now, having said that, the editors at CNET felt the same way you do when watching for evidence of 120hz effects:

"....The reduction of blur during motion is supposedly another strength of 120Hz processing, but as with the Toshiba we found it hard to find a real instance where the mode cleaned up blurring considerably compared to the 60Hz Sharp. The most obvious example we saw was during ESPNHD's ticker, where the moving white-on-black words appeared slightly less blurry when we engaged the mode. People highly sensitive to motion blur might see more obvious examples in program material, but we did not during our testing."

They spent quite a bit of time testing ME. Read the entire article here: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...3.html?tag=txt

Even Sony acknowledges in the user manual that you may not notice a PQ diff. when engaging ME. This being my first HD experience (CRT owner my whole life), I need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 5494 Old 11-01-2007, 01:42 PM

Is "Borat" a standard DVD or blueray DVD?

It seems that CNET notice a greater effect of ME in high def DVDs than the 1080i TV channels:

"Engaging either of the Sony's two 120Hz modes, Standard or High, had a marked effect on nearly every scene in Flags, but shots with lots of camera movement were the most obvious. When the camera pans over the beach in the middle of Chapter 10, for example, the scene was nearly judder-free and uncannily smooth in Standard, and basically completely smooth, with almost no visible judder, in High. In both cases the camera seemed like it was on rails, the handheld shots moving past the injured soldiers appeared less jerky and much steadier."
Quote:
Originally Posted by vumcrab View Post

Motion blur is one of those subjective things. Some will see it more (me) and others will not. I noticed a big difference when wathcing Borat last week. When Borat and his fat manager were wrestling naked in their hotel room, I noticed a big difference in ME Off and Standard.

Now, having said that, the editors at CNET felt the same way you do when watching for evidence of 120hz effects:

"....The reduction of blur during motion is supposedly another strength of 120Hz processing, but as with the Toshiba we found it hard to find a real instance where the mode cleaned up blurring considerably compared to the 60Hz Sharp. The most obvious example we saw was during ESPNHD's ticker, where the moving white-on-black words appeared slightly less blurry when we engaged the mode. People highly sensitive to motion blur might see more obvious examples in program material, but we did not during our testing."

They spent quite a bit of time testing ME. Read the entire article here: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...3.html?tag=txt

Even Sony acknowledges in the user manual that you may not notice a PQ diff. when engaging ME. This being my first HD experience (CRT owner my whole life), I need it.

post #723 of 5494 Old 11-01-2007, 08:04 PM

still playing around but I'm pretty set with these settings...

46XBR4 dark room/SA8300 PVR via HDMI

Backlight-3
Picture-80
Brightness-45
Color-52
Hue-0
Color Temp-Warm 1
Sharpness-62
NR-off
MPEG NR-low
DRC Mode-off
Black Corrector-off
Advance CE-off
Gamma-off
Clear White-off
Color Space-standard
Live Color-off
White Balance:
R-Gain (-3)
G-Gain (-4)
B-Gain (-1)
R-Bias (-3)
G-Bias (-4)
B-Bias (0)
Digital Enhancer-low
Edge Enhancer-high
M/E-standard
CineMotion-Auto 1

Tell me what you think...
post #724 of 5494 Old 11-02-2007, 08:26 AM

First, no offense to anyone here, since we all have slightly different tastes in picture, etc. And I want to personally thank everyone for posting their settings, really helpful and this is a great forum.

Just telling you my preferences, and not implying at ALL that someone else's settings are "better" than anothers...

So far, i have tried Musclerunt's and Gordong11's settings, and I prefer Gordong's settings.

I have a 52XBR4, with a Comcast/Motorola cable box, HDMI input.

I find Gordong11'a settings provide me with deeper, more even blacks, and pretty neutral colors, but this is based upon a very short comparision, and needs further review by me.

What is the best way to do an A/B setting, by selecting a good scene from a DVD, with blacks, flesh tones etc. and then pausing and switching between settings, and carefully evaluating each?

You can save your own settings in Cinema, or Standard, as well as Custom, to create two "custom" settings, right?
post #725 of 5494 Old 11-02-2007, 10:31 AM

re: vumcrab's settings:

Thanks. In many respects they were similar to mine. After looking at yours, I decided to ignore the CNET advice for some options and follow yours. These options seem to help SD as much as possible for this set without noticeably affecting HD to my eyes. And the white balance numbers really help amazingly well.

Right now I'm testing "light sense on" with a backlight of minimum (0) since this function worked well on my Sharp 37D90U that I recently sold to a friend. We'll see.....

I'm debatting whether to turn off ME completely and run CM with auto1. It's just kind of strange that ME even in STD mode, seems to speed up movements unnaturally to me. Maybe I can get used to it, maybe. On the other hand, with ME at std and CM at auto1, the HD images from Directv look 3D which is spectacular.
post #726 of 5494 Old 11-02-2007, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by petej88 View Post

re: vumcrab's settings:

Thanks. In many respects they were similar to mine. After looking at yours, I decided to ignore the CNET advice for some options and follow yours. These options seem to help SD as much as possible for this set without noticeably affecting HD to my eyes. And the white balance numbers really help amazingly well.

Right now I'm testing "light sense on" with a backlight of minimum (0) since this function worked well on my Sharp 37D90U that I recently sold to a friend. We'll see.....

I'm debatting whether to turn off ME completely and run CM with auto1. It's just kind of strange that ME even in STD mode, seems to speed up movements unnaturally to me. Maybe I can get used to it, maybe. On the other hand, with ME at std and CM at auto1, the HD images from Directv look 3D which is spectacular.

I use the light sensor and i love it, it basically puts the set into high power saving mode unless there is a lot of light in the room. When i say a lot of light in the room i mean it, like at least 3-4 windows open during the day.

Other than that it's pretty much the same as setting power saver to high, but it's nice to know if the light does show then my tv will respond, last thing i want to do when everyone's over parting and watching the game (only time i have windows or blinds open) it to be messing with settings on the tv.

Samsung D7000 65"
Onkyo 905
BIH F12
6x Energy RC-10
WMC ceton4 DVR/Media PC
post #727 of 5494 Old 11-02-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagheuer01 View Post

What is the best way to do an A/B setting, by selecting a good scene from a DVD, with blacks, flesh tones etc. and then pausing and switching between settings, and carefully evaluating each?

You can save your own settings in Cinema, or Standard, as well as Custom, to create two "custom" settings, right?

Correct... create one profile of settngs using Cinema preset and the other in Custom, then flip back and forth between them to see the difference.

Keep in mind that certain settings are universal (Power Saving, Light sensor, CineMotion and MotionFlow for example), and will be the same across the different picture presets.
post #728 of 5494 Old 11-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagheuer01 View Post

First, no offense to anyone here, since we all have slightly different tastes in picture, etc. And I want to personally thank everyone for posting their settings, really helpful and this is a great forum.

Just telling you my preferences, and not implying at ALL that someone else's settings are "better" than anothers...

So far, i have tried Musclerunt's and Gordong11's settings, and I prefer Gordong's settings.

I have a 52XBR4, with a Comcast/Motorola cable box, HDMI input.

I find Gordong11'a settings provide me with deeper, more even blacks, and pretty neutral colors, but this is based upon a very short comparision, and needs further review by me.

You can make adjustments in all four picture modes, although less in Vivid, so you can have four customized settings.
post #729 of 5494 Old 11-03-2007, 04:15 AM

I recently turned ME off on my 40xbr4. I was getting judder mostly on faces, especially on peoples foreheads... but not anymore (use to be on STD). I use an oppo 981, for it and SD, definately an improvement.

Example: Good Will Hunting, when Damon and Williams are on the park bench, on the side of Damons face, cheek bone area, before it was like a bunch of sparkling (pixel movement or something), with ME off, almost impossible to notice any movement at all.

I'm using musclerunts settings, but have the backlight at 2 and powersavings to low (evenings). Great picture, just great, very happy I bought the sony.

regards,
post #730 of 5494 Old 11-03-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niksem View Post

I think it is time. Please, post the type of TV you got: 32", 40", 46, or 52" and settings you use. It would also be helpful if agree what kind of channels/HD sources/movies types to turn Cinemotion on or off.

Has anyone here posted settings after calibrating their XBR4/5 to ISF standards, either with own knowledge and instrumentation or through a professional?
post #731 of 5494 Old 11-03-2007, 09:35 AM

Haven't seen anyone post this, but it seems relevant to some of the discussions here.
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-...ml?tag=bubbl_2
post #732 of 5494 Old 11-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwest54 View Post

Has anyone here posted settings after calibrating their XBR4/5 to ISF standards, either with own knowledge and instrumentation or through a professional?

MuscleRunt said his settings were calibrated by a professional technician. I think his post was around October 2.

Found it - post #417.
post #733 of 5494 Old 11-03-2007, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I prefer Gordong11's settings, on second page.

I have ME=0ff, Cinemotion=Auto1
post #734 of 5494 Old 11-03-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFission View Post

Haven't seen anyone post this, but it seems relevant to some of the discussions here.
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-...ml?tag=bubbl_2

Yeah, it pretty much covers a lot of what has been said here.

I waited for the XBR4 because of the 10bit processing, 120Hz, and 24fps support.

In the past I didn't want my 24fps source material (blu-ray) to be converted to 60fps. The 120Hz panel solved this issue. This is also way better than having a 60Hz panel DEPEND on interpolation schemes.

With the XBR4 for. At least I don't have to turn on the Motion Flow to the max in order to have a smoother picture. This is why I have Motion Flow set to "standard" and not "high."
post #735 of 5494 Old 11-03-2007, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
with 24fps material, what should I have Motion Enhancer and Cinemotion set to. I just got a ps3 and want to watch a blue-ray movie tomorrow in 24fps.
post #736 of 5494 Old 11-03-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpey326 View Post

with 24fps material, what should I have Motion Enhancer and Cinemotion set to. I just got a ps3 and want to watch a blue-ray movie tomorrow in 24fps.

My settings:

Cinemotion = Auto1
Motion Enhancer = Standard

I use this for pretty much everything now.
post #737 of 5494 Old 11-03-2007, 08:28 PM

RE: SD picture quality

Looks like I disagree with about everyone on this forum and the CNET reviewers about DRC. Oh well.

After quite a bit of testing over the last few days, I can definitely get the cleanest SD picture with DRC on 1. I must be one of the few that prefers a generally sharper picture with some noise, rather than a really blurry picture with less noise.

At any rate, I tested a DRC setting with some guests and they thought that in general, the SD pictures looked as good as their SD tv's (luckily they didn't have their SD tv next to my HD to see the difference -- whew).

Other options I'm using to get SD to excel and still have my HD channels looking good still:

noise reduction: medium
MPEG noise reduction: low
DRC mode 1
DRC palette 50 (reality)/60 (clarity)
advanced C.E: low
Gamma: low
color space: standard
power setting: low

Most of my other settings are close to vumcrab's

I suppose I should mention that I watch tv without looking for problems in general, once it is set up. I've been watching crappy NSTC TV in different forms for fifty years now so I'm most likely more forgiving than others. For Today, we have a good TV model. Five to Ten years from now we may very well be laughing at what we have today but that doesn't matter.

This is the first LCD I've had that satisfies me almost as much as the last of the super heavy 34" Sony I used to have. That's saying a lot. The accurate colors, the excellent dark shades and shade detail is really good. This tv is a good all around performer. Good match for the 100 HD channels getting lined up on my directv.

So I'm finally a happy camper. I can't help it if I get a crappy source so no use blaming my TV. example: My sd CBS channel comes in OK on Directv but it comes in excellently on Comcast (I have basic comcast channel package using QAM).

Regarding banding, clouds, etc. My XBR has the most uniform back panel lighting I've ever had in my house. Complete zero banding.

And luckily, no dead pixels but this wouldn't be a showstopper as long as dots are not grouped together because these dots are really small and are not seen at normal viewing distances, based on previous experience.
post #738 of 5494 Old 11-03-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpey326 View Post

Pete brought up another setting to tune.

And that is:

noise reduction: medium
MPEG noise reduction: low

I have not noticed a difference with "MPEG noise reduction." But I HAVE noticed a difference on some blu-rays when adjusting the "noise reduction." So, make sure you check that out too.
post #739 of 5494 Old 11-04-2007, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo3660 View Post

MuscleRunt said his settings were calibrated by a professional technician. I think his post was around October 2.

Found it - post #417.

Thanks
post #740 of 5494 Old 11-04-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix08 View Post

The picture mode was standard. Game/text mode was off. I am seeing more motion blur (especilly for close-up shots as you mentioned) with ME being off than on. However, the difference was sutble, definitely not a night/day difference. Overall, I think that XBR4 is better W3000. I am justing wondering why I can't see a greater difference between ME being on and off and an effect of CineMotion like everybody else. I will get blueray to test the CineMotion.

From my own experience: (46" xbr4)

I REALLY notice the motionflow/Cinemotion with BD materials (ps3). Stuff lan pans just look so smooth (ME=High, CE= Auto1)

The effect is a bit less when I feed it HD materials from my htpc (AMD690G -> HDMI). The 'smoothness' effect is not quite so striking.

On SD TV materials, I can't notice anything at all with the ME/CE. No HDTV in HK yet (that I can afford), so I can't comment there.

But from my experience, the better the source material the better will be the results from ME/CE.
post #741 of 5494 Old 11-04-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crOwcaine View Post

still playing around but I'm pretty set with these settings...

46XBR4 dark room/SA8300 PVR via HDMI

Backlight-3
Picture-80
Brightness-45
Color-52
Hue-0
Color Temp-Warm 1
Sharpness-62
NR-off
MPEG NR-low
DRC Mode-off
Black Corrector-off
Advance CE-off
Gamma-off
Clear White-off
Color Space-standard
Live Color-off
White Balance:
R-Gain (-3)
G-Gain (-4)
B-Gain (-1)
R-Bias (-3)
G-Bias (-4)
B-Bias (0)
Digital Enhancer-low
Edge Enhancer-high
M/E-standard
CineMotion-Auto 1

Tell me what you think...

I've been playing around with the settings as well, just got the TV for about 10 days now.

My settings were generally the same as what you listed, except I had the sharpness much lower (25), the digital enhancer off, and ME at High.

However, as I was watching the Spiderman1 BD last night, in the scene right after Uncle Ben gets murdered, Spiderman chases the robber in a REALLY dark alley. At the current settings I could basically see nothing, just a big black/grey mess.

I was so disturbed with this that I spent the next 1/2 hour changing the settings again. The final result was that I need to up the brightness setting up to 65, and turn OFF the black corrector and the advanced contrast. These settings yielded MUCH better results in really dark scenes, as I also tested with the Kingdom of Heaven BD as well.
post #742 of 5494 Old 11-05-2007, 11:19 AM

Has anyone received the pro calibration job here?

"Some men aren't looking for anything logical.
They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with.
Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Dark Knight Saga - 072012
post #743 of 5494 Old 11-05-2007, 05:04 PM

i dont understand most of this stuff but im trying.
I am looking for the best quality moving watching i can get.

just got a 52 xbr5.
and sony blue ray.
my cable is horrible. no hdmi on my cable box.

I have hdmi hookup from tv to blue ray
and an optical line for audio.

so if anybody can help that b great.
i really like a bright picture. im currently using the default settings since i havent adjusted anything.
post #744 of 5494 Old 11-05-2007, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I just started messing with the white balance the other day and i am satisfied with my results, all comments welcome as i didn't use any equipment only my eyes.

Custom
Backlight - 7
Picture - 92
Brightness - 50
Color - 55
Hue - 0
Temp - Neutral

Sharpness - 40
NR - off
MPEG NR - off
DRC Mode - off
Black Corrector - off
Advance CE - low
Gamma - low
Clear White - off
Color Space - standard
Live Color - low
White Balance:
R-Gain (-8)
G-Gain (-3)
B-Gain (-2)
R-Bias (-3)
G-Bias (-8)
B-Bias (-2)
Digital Enhancer - low
Edge Enhancer - high
M/E - standard
CineMotion - Off

Power Saver - Low

Samsung D7000 65"
Onkyo 905
BIH F12
6x Energy RC-10
WMC ceton4 DVR/Media PC
post #745 of 5494 Old 11-05-2007, 07:50 PM

Hey guys,

I'm new here. I just recieved my 46"xbr4 two days ago and I've got a question. After reading some of the posts, I read that setting the display area to Full Pixel can help with the overall pq. Unfortunately for me I cant seem to find the Full Pixel option in the display area. All I have at the moment is a dvd player and an hd cablebox. Do I need to purchase a hd dvd player in order for the full pixel option to appear? I tried to call Sony and they were'nt much help.
post #746 of 5494 Old 11-05-2007, 09:24 PM

Home
Screen
Display Area -> Full Pixel
post #747 of 5494 Old 11-05-2007, 09:51 PM

I've narrowed my choices down to the 52"xbr4(which i really like),and the 60"A3000 rp.....i will sit 12' away from the set, and i'm wondering if that's just too far away to fully enjoy the 52"xbr4? Will the clarity and "pop" of the 52" still be appreciated at that distance?
post #748 of 5494 Old 11-06-2007, 12:21 AM

I had the time to play around with the settings and figured out that in order to get the full pixel option, I have to have a high def signal. I'm glad I've got the hd cable box. I thought I'd have it on sd, but I was wrong. Thanks anyways Powerslave.
post #749 of 5494 Old 11-06-2007, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I notice you have green bias dialed way back, as do I. Do you notice a signifigant green push in the low to mid region of a grayscale? I thought it might just be my set. I bounce between -7 and -9 depending on source material. Just an observation.

Schlick
post #750 of 5494 Old 11-06-2007, 07:35 AM

I have noticed that full pixel is not available on all hd sources.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 52xbr5 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 32xbr4 32 Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page