Official Sony XBR4/XBR5 calibration thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
First ... 29  30  31 32  33  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official Sony XBR4/XBR5 calibration thread
lrstevens421's Avatar lrstevens421 03:09 PM 11-10-2007
Anyone wish to post pictures of their beautiful displays.

Viking 29's Avatar Viking 29 03:15 PM 11-10-2007
Knock on wood I got an excellent display 52" today at Best Buy to replace my 71F(which replaced 2 xbr4 52's crazy isn't it?) and I must say I'm glad to be back in the XBR world. I was just curious because all of this reading has me confused on what everybody's cinemotion and motion enhancer settings are. I have an xbox 360, a sony bluray, and an hddvd player and was curious what the general consensus agrees on. In order to achieve 1080p/24 in the best way possible, what should my motion settings be? Can anybody help me with these 3 components to get it right?
mrlogs's Avatar mrlogs 03:16 PM 11-10-2007
I was told I could vary the backlight according to ambient room light..the "2" was for a dark room.....as for when it was calibrated.

My settings...(& Cnet's) were done on the individual TVs..Neither are wrong..The only way to get your individual TV right "standard-wise" is to have it calibrated...Why don't you just have it calibrated by a Pro & be done with it?....Comparing one person's settings to another's settings is like comparing apples & oranges...really....Mine look's great..movies, football, Nascar racing...snails crawling across a tree branch.....that's why I had it done..so "my" TV would be at standard...If everyone could just set their settings to the first TV (of a particular model) that just came off the assembly line & was calibrated...it would be fantastic....But every TV is different...Mine look's great with all media..with the settings it has...That's because I paid a Pro to do it...
GregF2's Avatar GregF2 05:57 PM 11-10-2007
Gregg is a great at calibrating tv's. He calibrated my Pio Elite 1140 last year. Curious as to what he though of the your calibrated XBR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlogs View Post

It would look even better if you let Gregg actually calibrate your TV(s)...Worth every penny guys....
Tom

mrlogs's Avatar mrlogs 06:25 PM 11-10-2007
He said it looked great (honestly..)
slumpey326's Avatar slumpey326 07:16 PM 11-10-2007
mrlogs, thanks for your input. I truly appreciate it, and I am sure others here do as well.
mikecoscia's Avatar mikecoscia 07:45 PM 11-10-2007
Well played around with the settings all day and nothing makes a difference (even tried different HDMI cables), I am getting smearing when playing on my xbox or ps3. It is easily seen on a dark object against a light background. As you move from side to side the end of the object has black trails. Looks really bad, my aquos never did this. Wish I could take the TV back but past my 30 day return period by 4 days .
Digital_View's Avatar Digital_View 10:19 PM 11-10-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 29 View Post

Knock on wood I got an excellent display 52" today at Best Buy to replace my 71F(which replaced 2 xbr4 52's crazy isn't it?) and I must say I'm glad to be back in the XBR world. I was just curious because all of this reading has me confused on what everybody's cinemotion and motion enhancer settings are. I have an xbox 360, a sony bluray, and an hddvd player and was curious what the general consensus agrees on. In order to achieve 1080p/24 in the best way possible, what should my motion settings be? Can anybody help me with these 3 components to get it right?

cinemotion = Auto1
motion enhancer = Standard (for Blu-ray and HD cable); High (try it for games).

cinemotion = Auto2
motion enhancer = disabled
fuzzymyman's Avatar fuzzymyman 01:13 AM 11-11-2007
Quote:

I was told I could vary the backlight according to ambient room light..the "2" was for a dark room.....as for when it was calibrated.

My settings...(& Cnet's) were done on the individual TVs..Neither are wrong..The only way to get your individual TV right "standard-wise" is to have it calibrated...Why don't you just have it calibrated by a Pro & be done with it?....Comparing one person's settings to another's settings is like comparing apples & oranges...really....Mine look's great..movies, football, Nascar racing...snails crawling across a tree branch.....that's why I had it done..so "my" TV would be at standard...If everyone could just set their settings to the first TV (of a particular model) that just came off the assembly line & was calibrated...it would be fantastic....But every TV is different...Mine look's great with all media..with the settings it has...That's because I paid a Pro to do it...

Should I have a pro do it or could I just buy the CD as CNET.com suggests? How much for the pro?
corsini77's Avatar corsini77 06:09 AM 11-11-2007
I have done some searching but I can't seem to find where anyone has there SD settings set on Cinema and their HD settings set on Custom(or vice versa)

I can't seem to get the SD signals the way I want them.
mrlogs's Avatar mrlogs 06:26 AM 11-11-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymyman View Post

Should I have a pro do it or could I just buy the CD as CNET.com suggests? How much for the pro?

Depends on whether you want your display to be just "ok" or "right on to the standard"

*You can use the DVDs to make it "pretty" as far as your eyes go..or
*You can pay a Pro to get it "right on" as far as the "standards" go & see the material as it was intended to be seen...Guess it depends on what you're satisfied with..just OK..or...The Best...

I paid $400 & Gregg Loewen calibrated mine..money well spent..no regrets!

slumpey326's Avatar slumpey326 06:33 AM 11-11-2007
mrlogs can you just confirm this for me, you have these set to: (for all inputs)

cinemotion = STANDARD
motion enhancer = OFF
mrlogs's Avatar mrlogs 06:39 AM 11-11-2007
mine is:

motion enhancer: standard
cinemotion: off
slumpey326's Avatar slumpey326 08:00 AM 11-11-2007
cool, thats what I thought,gracias!!!
Viking 29's Avatar Viking 29 09:23 AM 11-11-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_View View Post

cinemotion = Auto1
motion enhancer = Standard (for Blu-ray and HD cable); High (try it for games).

cinemotion = Auto2
motion enhancer = disabled

What are the last settings for Digital? And thanks for your input it's much appreciated.
vumcrab's Avatar vumcrab 10:15 AM 11-11-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsini77 View Post

I have done some searching but I can't seem to find where anyone has there SD settings set on Cinema and their HD settings set on Custom(or vice versa)

I can't seem to get the SD signals the way I want them.

IMO, there's no need in dedicating one picture_mode to HD and one to SD.

If you still watch a lot of SD, get the picture as clean as you can, then do what you can to watch HD exclusively. SD sucks, always will especially on these panels. Don't waste too much time trying to get the right SD picture. Spend your time instead figuring how you can eliminate it from your life
jdawg131's Avatar jdawg131 10:51 AM 11-11-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by vumcrab View Post

IMO, there's no need in dedicating one picture_mode to HD and one to SD.

If you still watch a lot of SD, get the picture as clean as you can, then do what you can to watch HD exclusively. SD sucks, always will especially on these panels. Don't waste too much time trying to get the right SD picture. Spend your time instead figuring how you can eliminate it from your life

Couldn't agree more. It's too bad that my Noles always end up on Gameplan here in IL, so I'm stuck watching them in SD while the Big XII and Big Ten games are in glorious HD on ABC and ESPN.
jrnewquist's Avatar jrnewquist 11:40 AM 11-11-2007
New 52XBR4 owner here. Came from a 4 year-old 42" 480p plasma. I am blown away. Outstanding build quality, no pixel issues. I detect some clouding only against a full black image when standing at 80 deg horiz + 70 deg vert off-center. This is better than what I had expected. In fact, the off-angle viewing is very impressive.

Out of the box, SD performance of Comcast signal was terrible. After applying mrlogs's calibration settings, I had the following impressions:

Comcast SD over Tivo (HDMI) = vastly, vastly improved
Comcast HD over Tivo (HDMI) = excellent
Blu-Ray over PS3 (HDMI) = a very good baseline, but probably needs tweaking
Gaming on PS3 (HDMI) = good baseline, may need to be more vibrant?
Gaming on Xbox360 (VGA) = Halo 3 seemed to lack contrast and vibrance

Overall, I think these are awesome baseline settings from which to make further changes. Thanks for posting them!

So far, thrilled with the set. It's amazing.
lrstevens421's Avatar lrstevens421 02:18 PM 11-11-2007
OK, I'm getting my 52XBR4 calibrated tomorrow. I bit the bullet, pretty lucky to get an appointment. Last time I had to wait 2 months.

They're here.
mrlogs's Avatar mrlogs 02:21 PM 11-11-2007
Who's calibrating it for you..(just curious...)?
lrstevens421's Avatar lrstevens421 03:30 PM 11-11-2007
Quote:

Who's calibrating it for you..(just curious...)?

Don't know the guys name, it's an ISF certified place out of Long Island (High End Audio/Video Boutique), trained by Kevin Miller. I know and trust Kevin's work, he did my LCD last year. I wasn't blown away by the results but we'll see what happens this time.

My buddy from Magnolia set the appointment up for me, he claims he had to call in a favor.
Srgtfury's Avatar Srgtfury 03:45 PM 11-11-2007
Quote:

I have watched with interest the calibration discussions over the last several years, including CRT's DILA's, etc.. In fact, I watched my DILA calibration as performed by Richard Martin and later purchased, among other devices, Colofacts. The point you raise-"Why don't you have it calibrated by a Pro & be done with it," is, IMHO, specious. Calibration Pro's are somewhat like confessors/gurus, as the variance of 20% in backlight, to mention only one parameter ( too many with white balance variances, etc.). I can't imagine the same % variance, display to display, in these XBR4's. With many more parameters accessible to the end user, outside the service menu, it seems that seeing what a given calibrator's "bias" ;-) is can be of benefit to the end user in selecting a calibrator. Thank you for sharing your settings.

Mind you, many would not prefer the image from a calibrated display anyway.

Now, if you be so kind, did your calibrator indicate that raising the backlight level in greater ambient light would not require changes in any other parameters. Also, did the calibrator change anything in menus not accessible through the remote?

Thank you very much

Fury
lrstevens421's Avatar lrstevens421 04:13 PM 11-11-2007
You raise a good point about the service menu, many people overlook this. Last year when I had my display calibrated by Kevin Miller he spent a great deal of time in the service menu.
mitsugst's Avatar mitsugst 04:40 PM 11-11-2007
I know that the vivd factory settings arent many peoples preference, but i like it. I was wondering if anybody else uses it for watching blue ray. and if theres any tweaks in the settings that i could adjust.
mrlogs's Avatar mrlogs 04:47 PM 11-11-2007
If I may be so bold as to proclaim that changes were made in areas of my display accessable to the layman..but that I deduced, after the calibrationist waved his chicken bones over my display, that the person that performed the calibration ritual was indeed no ordinary shaman, but possibly a "grey"..Man..a Close Encounter of The Third Kind it must've been.
Anyone can buy Colorfacts..as anyone can buy a Fender Stratocaster..(I have one..and so does Eric Clapton..Who would you wager to be a better guitar player?...) If you say me..I'm flattered
...I begin to see an analogy here..Hmmm?

But OK..I guess as long as someone has equipment & software..they gotta be good at it...Make's sense to me..I still like the guru that did mine
Perhaps the "guru" will comment if he stop's by on his worldly visit....
Srgtfury's Avatar Srgtfury 04:57 PM 11-11-2007
Yikes!!
vumcrab's Avatar vumcrab 05:14 PM 11-11-2007
If someone starts quoting Shakespeare, I'm outta here.
mrlogs's Avatar mrlogs 05:48 PM 11-11-2007
Was just joking but trying to make a point...but..OK..Happy Happy Joy Joy!..
Draccius's Avatar Draccius 06:38 PM 11-11-2007
Well, I'm a day old XBR owner (first LCD). While I love the TV, I'm having a hard time deciding that my settings are correct. So. Many. Things. To. Tweak!
powrslave's Avatar powrslave 11:26 PM 11-11-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

Anyone wish to post pictures of their beautiful displays.

40 xbr4 -dvi>hdmi
gordong settings

Tags: Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 52xbr5 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 32xbr4 32 Lcd Hdtv
First ... 29  30  31 32  33  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop