Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nochaos View Post

Guys,

Could those of you who either had a professional calibration FOR SD FEEDS, or did a great calibration job by themselves and now have a GREAT SD PQ for ALL or MOST SD FEEDS PLEASE do post your settings here.

I believe that there must be different settings for SD, especially for poorer quality SD feeds. As we all know not all SD feeds are the same... Sometimes you'd even have a great pic from a news studio with a crap PNP with horrendous quality..

Anyway, I hope that you can help. Some of my SD feeds look like garbage.. and look much better on a normal SD CRT set. For good quality feeds the difference if minimal.

Thank you.

First, CRT and LCD technology is apples and oranges. SD was meant to look good on CRTs and HD to look great on HDTVs.

The quality of an SD picture will vary, as you have said, by the source feed, but also by which mechanism is being used to upconvert it. Since your xbr (and you didn't say what size you have) is a native 1080p device, conversion of the 480i signal must be performed before it hits your panel.

Either the XBR upconverts it from 480i, which it will, or another device will have to do it, such as an A/V receiver, STB, DVD player, etc. Unfortunately, the XBR does only a mediocre job of upconverting. I have my STB upconvert all SD signals to 1080i and pass it on to the TV, but even it doesn't do a great job. There are some players and receivers that use high-end video processors to upconvert such as Reon and Faroudja, but they're costly ($1000+).

So what to do?? On your xbr, there is a setting called "Noise_Reduction" (NR). I set it to LOW for SD broadcasts and it cleans it up nicely. But other than that, there's really not much more you can do. Be aware, though, that the NR setting can and often does interfere with PQ on HD material, especially blue ray, hd dvd and some video games. Turn NR to OFF for those sources.

My advice is to rid your life of SD as quickly and completely as possible. Find the right cable/satellite or OTA HD package for you and forget about SD. This past weekend for 3 staright days, I watched a lot of sports on my xbr and watched every minute of it on HD (I felt like a school girl with a cell phone). Then, on Monday, I walked in the room and my son had an SD channel on and I cried like a baby and began vomitting uncontrolablly.

I HATE SD.

Hope this helps,
post #1173 of 5492 Old 11-28-2007, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vumcrab View Post

I HATE SD.

Don't we all

Making the most out of what I got.
post #1174 of 5492 Old 11-28-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:

I HATE SD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

Don't we all

Yes, yes we do...it'll be a glooorious day when everything is HD.

The best TV is in the eyes of the buyer.
post #1175 of 5492 Old 11-28-2007, 09:18 PM

Thanks for your feedback..
Oh, well, I will see what I can do to do the upconversion before I hit the TV.
Indeed, I feed it with S-Video garbage...

I will report back later. Thanks.
post #1176 of 5492 Old 11-28-2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:

First, CRT and LCD technology is apples and oranges. SD was meant to look good on CRTs and HD to look great on HDTVs.

The quality of an SD picture will vary, as you have said, by the source feed, but also by which mechanism is being used to upconvert it. Since your xbr (and you didn't say what size you have) is a native 1080p device, conversion of the 480i signal must be performed before it hits your panel.

Either the XBR upconverts it from 480i, which it will, or another device will have to do it, such as an A/V receiver, STB, DVD player, etc. Unfortunately, the XBR does only a mediocre job of upconverting. I have my STB upconvert all SD signals to 1080i and pass it on to the TV, but even it doesn't do a great job. There are some players and receivers that use high-end video processors to upconvert such as Reon and Faroudja, but they're costly ($1000+).

So what to do?? On your xbr, there is a setting called "Noise_Reduction" (NR). I set it to LOW for SD broadcasts and it cleans it up nicely. But other than that, there's really not much more you can do. Be aware, though, that the NR setting can and often does interfere with PQ on HD material, especially blue ray, hd dvd and some video games. Turn NR to OFF for those sources.

My advice is to rid your life of SD as quickly and completely as possible. Find the right cable/satellite or OTA HD package for you and forget about SD. This past weekend for 3 staright days, I watched a lot of sports on my xbr and watched every minute of it on HD (I felt like a school girl with a cell phone). Then, on Monday, I walked in the room and my son had an SD channel on and I cried like a baby and began vomitting uncontrolablly.

I HATE SD.

Hope this helps,

vumcrab, thanks for the suggestion..., I am a proud new owner of the 52xbr4, and this site has been awesome with set up an calibration..., however I still get confused on which source or display is doing my upconversion.

I have DirecTV, with the hr20 box, and an Onkyo sr705 receiver. I understand if I keep native "on" on the hr20, then the TV is doing the upconverting - correct? I also only check the 720p and 1080i displays on the hr20. The SR705 has the Faroudja processor, but I understand, that really does not upconvert the signal ?? part of my confusion..

I have calibrated the panel using various suggestions here, and has definitely made an improvement both for HD, and SD, but like you, tears come to my eyes on some SD channels (some look better than others).

So, is it better to keep native "on" with the hr20 or "off", and again, not sure if there is anything on the receiver that will help. All in all I love the TV-had to modify the wall somewhat where the builder had a 3ft by 3ft hole for a tube TV. Thanks for any suggestions with my set up.
post #1177 of 5492 Old 11-28-2007, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMedia View Post

I bought the SHARP thinking it has an additional port I could use for this purpose - VGA + 3 HDMI. While the Samsung VGA fully supports 1920 x 1080 very well dot by dot, the SHARP does NOT at all. It's VGA port can only support a pathetic 1360x768 which yields that port impotent for my purposes. And while the HDMI ports support native 1920x1080 from DVI to HDMI connections from both the Quad G5's ATI X1900GT card's Dual Link DVI port (4 screens total) as well as from the Quad Mac Pro's NVIDEA GeForce 7300 GT's Single Link DVI port (2 screens adding the new Penryn Dual Harpertown 8 core Mac Pro with 4 more screens in January-February when it ships), their ability to keep up with what each Mac tries to feed it is pathetic - i.e. they stutter not being able to keep up with true 1080P coming at them.

I'm interested in this as well. I picked up an HP Slimline box to hookup to my 46 XBR4 and have been having some issues. Using the VGA port will only allow a max resolution of 1360 x 768. I've been trying to find a way around this by updating the video & monitor drivers but have not had any success. I finally checked the XBR manual and on page 16 it shows a table noting that this is the max resolution available when using the VGA port. Apparently you need to use a DVI-HDMI connection to get full 1920 x 1080. If anyone else has had success with this I'd appreciate the help. I'm already using all 3 HDMI ports so I'd like to utilize the VGA port for my PC if possible.
post #1178 of 5492 Old 11-28-2007, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=RCKYMTN;12345758]
Quote:

I understand if I keep native "on" on the hr20, then the TV is doing the upconverting - correct?

Correct

Quote:

I also only check the 720p and 1080i displays on the hr20. The SR705 has the Faroudja processor, but I understand, that really does not upconvert the signal ?? part of my confusion..

Not sure about the Onk705, but I believe it upscales component input, not sure. If you're setup like HR20-->Onk705-->XBR, it should upconvert if you configure it so. That Faroudja chipset is there for something.

Quote:

So, is it better to keep native "on" with the hr20 or "off", and again, not sure if there is anything on the receiver that will help. All in all I love the TV-had to modify the wall somewhat where the builder had a 3ft by 3ft hole for a tube TV. Thanks for any suggestions with my set up.

It depends, if your HR20 does well at upconverting, you may want to set it to output at 720p or 1080i. I have a Moto 3416 and I had to play with it for a while to see which I liked best (pass-thru or upconvert form the STB). I have the STB upconvert to 1080i to the tv.
post #1179 of 5492 Old 11-29-2007, 04:37 AM

bplewis24:

Just to say we are just about 99% the same with the settings. I have my color temp to Neutral though but that is preference, i tend to go toward the "bluer" settings.

and in response to another post about SD, I think it stands for SAD Definition.

really SAD.

really really SAD.

actually owning the xbr4 is making me smarter, i am watching more PBS, HD Discovery and those type channels
Roy
post #1180 of 5492 Old 11-29-2007, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Looking at the sampling of personally and professionally calibrated xbr's, it's become pretty evident to me that most, including mine, have moderate (tending toward the higher end, as if moderate can somehow be quantified) green push/depression. The S&V review on the 52 mentions a -20% green error via hdmi. Anyone else as sensitive to this as me? I'm finding it difficult to set and forget white and black balance for consistent viewing, as a push or depression throws off the overall color deoder output. I've had the tv since mid to late August. Am I nuts??? Any and all comments and insight are readily welcomed.

Schlick
post #1181 of 5492 Old 11-29-2007, 10:36 AM

I set my cable box to a fixed setting of 1080i. It seems to be working better than pass thru. The television seems to tune in much faster and overall quality of SD images seems better. I'm using lrstevens421 settings mostly. I'm going to use Brandon's Custom settings for comparison.

Does anybody know anything about DirectTV compression of HD signals? I'm considering changing from cable because DirectTV has many more HD channels, but I am worried about the signal.

Insights?
post #1182 of 5492 Old 11-29-2007, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlick View Post

Looking at the sampling of personally and professionally calibrated xbr's, it's become pretty evident to me that most, including mine, have moderate (tending toward the higher end, as if moderate can somehow be quantified) green push/depression. The S&V review on the 52 mentions a -20% green error via hdmi. Anyone else as sensitive to this as me? I'm finding it difficult to set and forget white and black balance for consistent viewing, as a push or depression throws off the overall color deoder output. I've had the tv since mid to late August. Am I nuts??? Any and all comments and insight are readily welcomed.

Schlick

Hey, Schlick.

I'm Blue-Green color blind so my input here won't carry much weight. Since you mention the -20% green error via HDMI, is there any noticable difference when using component? Knowing you, I'm sure you've already gone thru the exercise, but I'm just curious.

EDIT: I did a serach on this thread only and found where bigjohns1997SS had noticed similar things with his setup.

I also noticed that back on 9-28 you posted about this problem and found that you had inadvertantly set the color space to WIDE and after setting back to NORMAL, the problem went away. That's not the case this time?
post #1183 of 5492 Old 11-29-2007, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Please excuse me if I'm not supposed to post prices here. But I just found what I think is the lowest price right now if anyone is still shopping. It's $2,089 plus $249 ground truck shipping from LDCPLASMADEALS.com right now. They're in Aventura Florida.

I bought the SHARP LC-46D64U on BLACK FRIDAY for $1300 at Circuit City thinking that was going to be great due to SHARP's new ad campaign for that new D64 line. Boy was I ever WRONG. I've been with a Samsung LN-S4095D since January - my first HDTV - which is obviously superior to the SHARP D64 line. But it only has 1 VGA and 2 HDMI inputs. I need 3 HDMI assuming the VGA also supports 1920x1080 - total 4 HD from computers inputs.

My concern is something I never see addressed in any of these forums or reviews - attaching computers to the sets. I have TWO Quad Core Macs I attach BOTH to the set so I can play programs from native EyeTV recordings as well as from compressed mp4 files I create from native EyeTV recordings with Toast 8 and Handbrake.

I bought the SHARP thinking it has an additional port I could use for this purpose - VGA + 3 HDMI. While the Samsung VGA fully supports 1920 x 1080 very well dot by dot, the SHARP does NOT at all. It's VGA port can only support a pathetic 1360x768 which yields that port impotent for my purposes. And while the HDMI ports support native 1920x1080 from DVI to HDMI connections from both the Quad G5's ATI X1900GT card's Dual Link DVI port (4 screens total) as well as from the Quad Mac Pro's NVIDEA GeForce 7300 GT's Single Link DVI port (2 screens adding the new Penryn Dual Harpertown 8 core Mac Pro with 4 more screens in January-February when it ships), their ability to keep up with what each Mac tries to feed it is pathetic - i.e. they stutter not being able to keep up with true 1080P coming at them.

After almost a year of flawless performance from those hookups on the Samsung, I am shocked to find a new SHARP falling short. What were they thinking when they designed their circuitry in the VGA section as well as in the HDMI sections to not be powerful enough to perform flawlessly when driven by a computer?

Another thing. Are any of you like me a PIP + P&P fanatic? I'd like to know how those sections perform with multiple computers attached please. I'll have 4 computers attached to my XBR4 by the end of next year - three desktops + a Quad Core Mobile Mac in about a year from now. Surely I'm not the only one here who thinks HDTVs are a computer peripheral right?

Anyway, if any of you are Mac Heads like me and bought the 46XBR4 to use as one of your MANY multiple screens like I did, please let me know how it's doing with your Mac and EyeTV hooked up. Thanks in advance for your help.

Please see these two posts regarding that vendor. If you have a great experience with them that is wonderful, but just be on the lookout for these things unless you've already gotten your set:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=4880

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=4882

Brandon
post #1184 of 5492 Old 11-29-2007, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

Light Sensor "on". Wow, that's a first.

Good work.

I haven't toyed with this one too much. Do you notice a difference with it off?

Brandon
post #1185 of 5492 Old 11-29-2007, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Here are my calibrations but I think it will need to be tweaked up since I am not familiar with how the White Balance and Color Space exactly works so I left it alone.

Default = no change

Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 5
Picture: 75
Brightness: Default
Color: Default
Hue: Default
Color Temperature: Default
Sharpness: Default
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
DRC Mode: Off
Advanced Settings
Black Corrector: Off
Advanced C.E.: Off
Gamma: Off
Clear White: Off
Color Space: Wide (I believe Wide is the default, not at the set right now).
Live Color: Off
White Balance: (Default)
Detail Enhancer: Off
Edge Enhancer: Off
Motion Enhancer: Off
Cinemotion: Off (DTV) / Auto 1 (DVD)

I have this set for both the DirecTV (via S-video – I only have the basic box, will get HD soon) and my Panasonic DVD RP-82 (via component).

For the vivid option, does anyone know what the advanced options on it supposedly are? Just curious because I did test that when playing on DVD however the colors seemed a bit too heavy and thinking of testing some settings into the standard if I knew what they were and noticed the white balance options cannot be accessed.
post #1186 of 5492 Old 11-29-2007, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey, Schlick.

I'm Blue-Green color blind so my input here won't carry much weight. Since you mention the -20% green error via HDMI, is there any noticable difference when using component? Knowing you, I'm sure you've already gone thru the exercise, but I'm just curious.

EDIT: I did a serach on this thread only and found where bigjohns1997SS had noticed similar things with his setup.

I also noticed that back on 9-28 you posted about this problem and found that you had inadvertantly set the color space to WIDE and after setting back to NORMAL, the problem went away. That's not the case this time?

The color space was just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. When set back to standard, it improved significantly, Enough for me to believe at that time, that all was well. Even set to wide black should be black, not pine tree green. I'm convinced that somewhere in the 0 ire to 20 ire video level, there's green being introduced that doesn't belong. It's worst on the hdmi inputs, but seemingly present using component, composite and internal tuner. Had a tech swap the input board, but made no difference. I did notice that the hdmi connections don't reside on the same board as the rest of the inputs. He seems willing to swap that board as well. I believe that's where the video processing is being handled. Perhaps that'll make a difference. I just don't think I should have to run green gain and bias in the -8/-9 range to get a reasonably acceptable picture.
post #1187 of 5492 Old 11-29-2007, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

I haven't toyed with this one too much. Do you notice a difference with it off?

Brandon

Yeah I did, "on" the black levels would varied Greatly.

post #1188 of 5492 Old 11-29-2007, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
lrstevens421, just want to say I am still using your settings and havent looked back. Really liking them. Thanks.
post #1189 of 5492 Old 11-29-2007, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpey326 View Post

lrstevens421, just want to say I am still using your settings and havent looked back. Really liking them. Thanks.

No problem. I'm really glad you like them. I got about 20+ PM's the next day after posting them . It took me a few hours to get use to them, but I must admit I haven't been in the picture menu since. This display really is quite remarkeable.

post #1190 of 5492 Old 11-29-2007, 02:37 PM

This is a question for all those TiVo HD/S3 owners...

I've read that using a S-Video cable into the XBR4 for SD actually looks better than HDMI/Component.

Any truth in this?

The TiVo HD doesn't have an S-Video output unless I do a Component -> S-Video adapter.
post #1191 of 5492 Old 11-29-2007, 02:44 PM

I took my Mac Pro to the Circuit City and can confirm the 1920 x 1080 VGA is supported in the 46 XBR4 HDTV. So JDNick is mistaken and probably has a video card that doesn't support HD resolution on any monitor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDNick View Post

I'm interested in this as well. I picked up an HP Slimline box to hookup to my 46 XBR4 and have been having some issues. Using the VGA port will only allow a max resolution of 1360 x 768. I've been trying to find a way around this by updating the video & monitor drivers but have not had any success. I finally checked the XBR manual and on page 16 it shows a table noting that this is the max resolution available when using the VGA port. Apparently you need to use a DVI-HDMI connection to get full 1920 x 1080. If anyone else has had success with this I'd appreciate the help. I'm already using all 3 HDMI ports so I'd like to utilize the VGA port for my PC if possible.

The way I read that PC Input Signal Reference Chart on page 16 of the manual is that it lists VGA 1920x1080 HD res @ 67.5kHzH by 60HzV at the bottom as POSSIBLE. Are you sure your video card is HD res capable? I know mine is on up to 1920 x 1200 if necessary.

My 2006 40" Samsung LN-S4095D from a year ago supports 1920 x 1080 in VGA mode perfectly. According to the Sony Manual page 16 chart and my personal test at Circuit City so does the XBR4/5 line.

JDNick, I recommend you either return the HP Slimline or buy a serious PCIe video card that can support higher resolutions from either a VGA or DVI port. My card is only an old 2006 NVIDEA GeForce 7300 GT so you don't need to spend much money to go beyond what the Intel built in video can support.

BTW I just found out the Sony 46" XBR4 is the most popular HDTV right now and everyone with lower prices is already SOLD OUT until January.

EyeTV Macintosh's Hooked To HDTV Fanatic
post #1192 of 5492 Old 11-30-2007, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have tried lrstevens421's calibration settings, and they look perfect so far. Thanks! =)

Just curious if anyone has any calibration settings for S-Video input - I set this to lrstevens421's component settings now.

Thanks
post #1193 of 5492 Old 11-30-2007, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDNick View Post

My laptop with a Nvidia Geforce Go 7400 card supports 1920x1080 and I'm able to get that on the TV over the VGA port. However when I switch to my integrated Intel 950 chipset I can't get that high of a resolution. It's definitely the difference in graphics cards.

Brandon
post #1194 of 5492 Old 11-30-2007, 10:33 AM

Quick note of thanks to Brendan, lrstevens421, and the rest who have posted their settings. Proud owner of the 52XBR5 for a week now, and anxious to play around with the settings posted.
Equipment List for future reference:
Yamaha RX-V661 AV receiver
Directv HR20
Playstation PS3 60GB version
PC: AMD based MSI mombo with integrated video(about 2-3 yrs old): displays 1920 x 1080 perfectly. I use this for my "Jukebox PC"....
-------------------
Thanks again...will keep you posted...
jock
post #1195 of 5492 Old 12-01-2007, 01:20 AM

Is your red not as vibrant as it should be? Is your green taking over your screen? Are you seeing orange and pink blotches in the skin tone shadows? Well I just got out of a chat session with Sony and told them all of the above. The fix for my set was to reset the TV.

1. Press and hold the up arrow on your remote and press the power button on your TV (the button physically on your TV).
2. The TV will turn off (keep holding the up arrow).
3. The TV will turn on (you can let go of the up arrow).

This fixed my problem! I was sure at my wits end and tired of endless nights playing with the controls to get the color just right. Wish I would have IM'd them 1.5 weeks ago when I first noticed the problem out of the box and before I replaced 2 HD DVR cable boxes (by the way depending upon your cable box you can send MP2 TS streams via firewire to your PC to save shows). I was hours away from purchasing a SpyderTV colorimeter and then a Panny which I still have to take off hold. Now I use STANDARD for all TV definitions and the picture is awesome.

By the way I own the Sony KDL52W3000 and the color is now finally superior to my Olevia LT32HVE. I hope this information helps you.
post #1196 of 5492 Old 12-01-2007, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

I bought the SHARP LC-46D64U on BLACK FRIDAY for $1300 at Circuit City thinking that was going to be great due to SHARP's new ad campaign for that new D64 line. Boy was I ever WRONG. I've been with a Samsung LN-S4095D since January - my first HDTV - which is obviously superior to the SHARP D64 line. But it only has 1 VGA and 2 HDMI inputs. I need 3 HDMI assuming the VGA also supports 1920x1080 - total 4 HD from computers inputs.

After almost a year of flawless performance from those hookups on the Samsung, I am shocked to find a new SHARP falling short. What were they thinking when they designed their circuitry in the VGA section as well as in the HDMI sections to not be powerful enough to perform flawlessly when driven by a computer?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Perhaps if you do the math of the price differential between the XBR4 and the D64 it may be obvious that the extra money is paying for additional features and inputs or do you really expect the budget level of Sharp to provide you a clear match to the XBR4 for $700 less on Black Friday? Your Samsung perhaps cost double the D64 the year before when looking back and so you paid $1300 and expected the whole ball of wax.

You in fact are in the minority trying to connect three PC's at a time and perhaps you could purchase a third party switching unit and join in on the HTPC threads where the fanatics are or perhaps use RS232 for central control of multiple devices.

You need to understand that the XBR4/5 level Sharp panel will be debuted at CES in January as the replacement for the D92 series which is the high end for Sharp - it just happens that they leapfrog one another at different points of the year and for now it's Samsung and Sony XBR4 that has lept beyond Sharp but we'll see what 2008 brings at CES for the D92 replacement.

I find the XBR4 and Samsungs to be excellent and at the top but then again the D64 can be a helluva bargain as I just bought two for my Network to be used in classrooms and saved quite a bit of taxpayer money using that same black Friday special and lightweight used on mobile stands and I am quite familiar with Sharp owning three and one Sony LCD. Interesting that owners on Amazon give it "D64" 5 stars but then again they may actually be using them as TV's and expecting PIP - another feature that costs and it has it's limits with dual tuning - how do they give you two HD Tuners? Costs impact providing that feature but you can expect that someday as R&D is paid for and panels evolve that should come full circle and become new features as HD channels become dominant and everything is digital but for now it isn't.

BF versus what you paid for an XBR4 obviously means you don't get the whole game on the D64 - as Sharp meets a different consumer base at lower budgets with the D64 you cannot give everything away and the price differential of the XBR4 and the Samsung vs the D64 should make that obvious. Your HTPC obsession/hobby is a minority base that Joe Six Pack or Jane is not looking for in a consumer "TV" purchase and thus sharing with fellow HTPC fans on that thread section seems the best place to satisfy your quench to turn your panel into Multi-Media event controlled by the PC's vs the panel - I hardly think they engineer it for three at a time use and even video cards have limits in that respect.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #1197 of 5492 Old 12-01-2007, 05:43 AM

My television was calibrated when I first got it. In fact, I posted my settings on here at that time.

I have noticed that the color Red is hotter than it should be. All of the other colors are spot-on, but reds and pinks seems to be brighter than they should be.

How can I fix this problem without hurting the other colors or my calibration?
post #1198 of 5492 Old 12-01-2007, 07:41 AM

PS3 via HDMI cable:
Backlight: 7
Picture: 85
Brightness: 52
Color: 55
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Warm 1
Sharpness: 20
Advanced Settings
Advanced C.E.: Low
Clear White: Low
Color Space: Standard
White Balance
R-Gain: 0
G-Gain: -8
B-Gain: 0
R-Bias: 0
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 0
Motion Enhancer: Standard
Cinemotion: Auto1
RGB Dynamic Range (in video options): Full **This setting must correlate with the PS3's setting for RGB range.

Quick question Brandon. I am using your PS3 settings with my 52xbr4 and it looks great. Do you use the same settings for watching Blue Ray movies as you do for gaming on the PS3? I invited my parents over to watch Planet Earth on Blue ray and I just wanted to know if you change anything? Thanks
post #1199 of 5492 Old 12-01-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

I decided to update my calibration settings. Somebody requested them and since they're slightly outdated compared to my original post I thought I'd note the changes (bolded and italicized):

SD/HD Cable Feed from Comcast with Motorola 3416 STB via Component cable:
Picture Mode: Custom
Brightness: 60
Color: 50
Sharpness: 40
Noise Reduction: Low*
Advanced Settings
White Balance
R-Gain: -4
G-Gain: -7
B-Gain: -1
Detail Enhancer: Low
Motion Enhancer: High
Cinemotion: Off

*Noise reduction is mostly used for SD broadcasts when watching cable.

PS3 via HDMI cable:
Brightness: 52
Sharpness: 20
Advanced Settings
Clear White: Low
White Balance
R-Gain: 0
G-Gain: -8
B-Gain: 0
RGB Dynamic Range (in video options): Full **This setting must correlate with the PS3's setting for RGB range.

Upscaling DVD Player via HDMI Cable:
Picture Mode: Custom
Picture: 90
Brightness: 56
Sharpness: 50
Noise Reduction: Low
Advanced Settings
Gamma: Low
White Balance
R-Gain: -4
G-Gain: -7
B-Gain: -1
Detail Enhancer: Low
Edge Enhancer: Low

Power Saving: High
Light Sensor: On

Notice that the biggest changes came in the form of using Power Saving (high) and consequently cranking up the backlight universally. I've also turned up the brightness a bit because of it. I've found a very good balance with black levels and shadow details.

Lastly, I've calibrated Mr Logs settings into my "Cinema" preset for comparisons. I was watching a SD broadcast of Seinfeld at the time and the color temperature seemed to be nearly identical with the only difference on my set being that my Custom preset was a tad brighter than Mr Logs settings. Everything else looked identical, however.

Brandon

I've done some tinkering and these were the best settings IMO. Thanks Brandon!

BTW, I have this same question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by normandy7 View Post

Quick question Brandon. I am using your PS3 settings with my 52xbr4 and it looks great. Do you use the same settings for watching Blue Ray movies as you do for gaming on the PS3? I invited my parents over to watch Planet Earth on Blue ray and I just wanted to know if you change anything? Thanks

post #1200 of 5492 Old 12-01-2007, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandy7 View Post

The only thing I change for gaming is I sometimes will turn cinemotion off and turn motion enhancer on high. Everything else stays the same. Make sure that if you're watching blu-rays on the PS3 that you have super-white set to "on" in the BD/DVD settings.

Brandon
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 52xbr5 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 32xbr4 32 Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page