Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 5495 Old 09-15-2007, 04:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theginz2004 View Post

Also, if there is anything else I need to know about owning an LCD tv or anything I should do with this one let me know. Thanks.

First rule. Standard definition signals look like CRAP! Yes, you can tune it. And even get them looking decent on this set. But if you keep it in your mind that most SD signals will look like CRAP then it wont bother you when you see it on the XBR4 for the first time ("What?! I spent $$$ on this set for this!!!!") Relax. That's the way all SD signals look on HDTVs. It's a learning curve.

But when you put a clear ESPN (not all of them are) signal or Discovery HD or inHD signal. You'll be like "Wow!" And for blu-ray or hd dvd. Or 720p/1080i/1080p games....you'll be like double-wow! Since it's as pure a signal as you can get.

Once you see pure high-def. You'll never go back. Even if you just have to deal with the standard definition "potholes" now and again.

Standard definition "potholes" = Chanel surfing on HD...."Purdy, purdy, purdy...ow! my eyes!....purdy...purdy...."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 5495 Old 09-15-2007, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_View View Post

Here's my suggestion. Start with "custom" and just start tuning the picture and brightness to your liking. And then maybe the color and hue. After that. Leave that part alone.

Move on to the other settings like Cinemotion and Motion Enhancer and start tweaking to see what they do FOR YOU!

That's what I've done.

My favorite settings are "custom" and "vivid (but toned down a bit)."

I use "custom" most of the time. But I use "vivid" for ESPN HD.

The advanced settings make a huge difference though, when you first start out in Custom they are all off. I think Black Corrector, Advanced CE & Gamma should all be on low. If you want more vibrant colors then Color space should be wide and live color should be low. I notice a slight green push with my cable STB (but not with 360 or Wii) so I dialed back both green settings to -5 in White Balance.

If someone doesn't want to fuss with settings, just set the TV to Standard, leave DRC on mode 1, dial back the green in White balance both to -5, put Cinemotion on Auto 1 or 2, & Motion flow on Standard, this is good for my Cable STB. For gaming do the same but use game mode and leave the white balance at 0, edge enhancement off and sharpness at 30.

52XBR4
55HX929
post #213 of 5495 Old 09-15-2007, 06:02 AM

What are some good white balance settings for PS3 especially if anyone used a calibration disc on the PS3?
post #214 of 5495 Old 09-15-2007, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKONE View Post

What are some good white balance settings for PS3 especially if anyone used a calibration disc on the PS3?

The color accuracy with my 360 and Wii seem to be good so I leave everything on 0. only notice a slight green push with my Cable STB. You're not happy with the color accuracy with PS3?

52XBR4
55HX929
post #215 of 5495 Old 09-15-2007, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EADGBE View Post

The advanced settings make a huge difference though, when you first start out in Custom they are all off. I think Black Corrector, Advanced CE & Gamma should all be on low. If you want more vibrant colors then Color space should be wide and live color should be low. I notice a slight green push with my cable STB (but not with 360 or Wii) so I dialed back both green settings to -5 in White Balance.

If someone doesn't want to fuss with settings, just set the TV to Standard, leave DRC on mode 1, dial back the green in White balance both to -5, put Cinemotion on Auto 1 or 2, & Motion flow on Standard, this is good for my Cable STB. For gaming do the same but use game mode and leave the white balance at 0, edge enhancement off and sharpness at 30.

Agreed.

When I said, "leave that part alone." I mean the simple settings. The "advanced settings" should be tinkered with only after you understand what "Cinemotion" and "Motion Enhancer" does. IMO.

The "advanced settings" are the last thing I looked at. I guess, I just wanted to get the other things out of the way before I started messing with DRC mode, Gamma and Color Space (as far as new owners go).
post #216 of 5495 Old 09-15-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKONE View Post

I used the Avia disc on the PS3 and the color balance looked good with all white balance settings at 0.
post #217 of 5495 Old 09-15-2007, 02:24 PM

The 40 XBR5 is the first TV I bought, so I was wondering if anyone could help me with the calibration. I am hooking up the PS3 via HDMI, the Wii via Component, an Upscaling Sony DVD player via HDMI and a Comcast cable box via component. I looked through every page, and I saw some for the PS3 and the Wii. Thanks
post #218 of 5495 Old 09-15-2007, 04:20 PM

I'm looking for good OTA settings for NFL Sundays. I figure this should be the same for everyone pretty much with OTA feed

Thanks,

Vinni
post #219 of 5495 Old 09-15-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EADGBE View Post

The color accuracy with my 360 and Wii seem to be good so I leave everything on 0. only notice a slight green push with my Cable STB. You're not happy with the color accuracy with PS3?

It's not that. I'm just curious to see what settings other people came up with so I can try them out and see what I think.
post #220 of 5495 Old 09-16-2007, 02:46 PM

This is for one_eyed_pete.
I think you do not have it pass thru. You click twice settings button on the cable box remote control. Look for set-format. click the right arrow. Select Pass-Thru or auto dvi. Click on the letter A. (yellow colored) button on remote to accept changes. Finally, click on exit.[/quote]

Guys, Thanks for feedback. I did a little more research after I asked the question. The TV's display header only shows the incoming resolution.
My SA8300HDC is connected via HDMI so I don't have the option to set it for "pass thru". With an HDMI connection it automatically upconverts everything to match the TV's resolution up to 1080i. That's what I am seeing. I will try connecting the cable box via component, use the "pass thru" and let the TV do the upconverting to see if the I can avoid having to switch wide modes when I go between SD and HD channels, hoping the PQ is as good.

By the way, I keep reading comments about bad SD PQ. SD PQ on my 52XBR4is generally exceptional. If yours is poor I believe it must be due to your feed or converter box. This TV is certainly capable of displaying very good SD.
post #221 of 5495 Old 09-16-2007, 06:01 PM

Whats the deal with all these settings having sharpness so low and so dark... I tried a few of them and they were all too dark and low quality.

Is that whats generally accepted as great picture?
post #222 of 5495 Old 09-16-2007, 06:12 PM

Liked: 12
Here they are, still tweaking a little bit here and there.

Backlight - 4
Picture - 84
Brightness - 55
Color - 55
Hue - G1
Temperature - Warm 1
Sharpness - 40
NR - Off
MPEG NR - Off
DRC - Off
Black correct - Low
Advanced CE - Low
Gamma - Low
Clear White - Off
Color Space - Standard
Live Color - Low
White balance - Default
Digital Enhance - Low
Edge Enhance - Low
Motion Enhance - Standard
CineMotion - Auto2

Hope that helps someone.

This is from a straight cable from the wall HD Comcast feed. No box, like Mod Mod World's post from above. Just plug and setup and go. Emmy's look great tonight!
post #223 of 5495 Old 09-16-2007, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Here are my settings. I haven't spent extensive amounts of time on these, but so far they work for me. I plan on having professional calibration done within the year, just FYI. Anyway, here goes:

SD/HD Cable Feed from Comcast with Motorola 3416 STB via Component cable:
Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 3
Picture: 85
Brightness: 47
Color: 50
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Warm 1
Sharpness: 40
Noise Reduction: Low
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
DRC Mode: Off
Advanced Settings
Black Corrector: Off
Advanced C.E.: Low
Gamma: Off
Clear White: Off
Color Space: Standard
Live Color: Off
White Balance
R-Gain: -4
G-Gain: -7
B-Gain: -1
R-Bias: 0
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 0
Detail Enhancer: Low
Edge Enhancer: Off
Motion Enhancer: High
Cinemotion: Auto2

PS3 via HDMI cable:
Backlight: 4
Color: 55
Sharpness: 45
Advanced Settings
Clear White: Low
Color Space: Wide
White Balance

Upscaling DVD Player via HDMI Cable:
Picture: 90
Brightness: 56
Sharpness: 50
Advanced Settings
Gamma: Gamma
White Balance
Edge Enhancer: Low

There you have it. Occasionally I'll turn up edge enhancement and detail enhancer for SD content on the cable box, and sometimes I'll use the Vivid settings (changed around a bit of course) for HD content on the cable box. My settings can come out a bit soft and washed out on certain content, so I use these to compensate at times.

I haven't experimented much with the Color Temperature nor White Balance because the colors are fine to me. In fact it's much better than my previous XBR1 and my Mother's Polaroid LCD TV. I don't feel like spending too much time worryin about calibration since I hope to get a professional calibration done soon.

Also, I watched some content on the Polaroid TV this weekend and saw significant motion blur from a Dish Network feed compared to my TV.

Now nitpick away fellas

Brandon
post #224 of 5495 Old 09-16-2007, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_eyed_pete View Post

Curiously I found the "out of the box" settings looked pretty darn good. I tried a few of the settings posted here and IMO the picture looked worse rather than better so I changed back to mostly default settings. I have been trying different settings for the enhancers and noise reduction etc. but I haven't made a final conclusion yet. I checked colors with DVE and the default colors were right on according to my eyes using the R, G and B filters.

I do notice some channels and some programs look slightly off color but I think that's the source and not the TV. The majority of the SD and HD programming looks great to me. SD DVD also generally looks great. The reds on the 49'ers and cardinals jerseys Monday night looked bright red.

I have compiled a spreadsheet with the settings I have seen in this thread and my current settings but I'm nor sure how to post it so others can review it. I would appreciate any suggestions on the best way to do that.

I am a little surprised at the wide range of settings others are using. I guess it just confirms the idea that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I do have a question. When I check the info header it shows 1080i regardless of which channel I'm viewing (SD or HD). I set the cable box to pass thru (SA 8300HDC-DVR/HDMI) so I expected the TV to upconvert to 1080p. Why would I see only 1080i?

OEP,

If you'd like to post your compiled spreadsheet of other's calibrations, you should be able to do that here.

This forum allows for, among others, word documents (.doc) and text (.txt) documents to be attached in psots. Two options to try:

1) In your excel spreadsheet, hilite your entire spreadsheet. Then click "Edit" and then click "Copy".

Next, open a blank word document. Click on "Edit" and then click "Paste". This should paste the spreadsheet into the word doc. "Save" the word document and attach it in a reply post here in this forum.

2) You can save your .xls spreadsheet as a Text file (.txt).

In your open spreadsheet, click "File", then click "Save As". A new window will open. In the pulldown list under "Save as Type", select "Text (Tab Delimited)". It will save your file as a txt file and you can attach it in a post to this forum.

Hope this helps. Maybe there are others who have stuff they'd like to upload as well.
post #225 of 5495 Old 09-17-2007, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

Here are my settings. I haven't spent extensive amounts of time on these, but so far they work for me. I plan on having professional calibration done within the year, just FYI. Anyway, here goes:

SD/HD Cable Feed from Comcast with Motorola 3416 STB via Component cable:
Backlight: 3
Color: 50
Sharpness: 40
Advanced Settings
White Balance

PS3 via HDMI cable:
Sharpness: 45
Advanced Settings
Clear White: Low
Color Space: Wide
White Balance

Upscaling DVD Player via HDMI Cable:
Picture: 90
Brightness: 56
Sharpness: 50
Advanced Settings
Gamma: Gamma
White Balance
Edge Enhancer: Low

There you have it. Occasionally I'll turn up edge enhancement and detail enhancer for SD content on the cable box, and sometimes I'll use the Vivid settings (changed around a bit of course) for HD content on the cable box. My settings can come out a bit soft and washed out on certain content, so I use these to compensate at times.

I haven't experimented much with the Color Temperature nor White Balance because the colors are fine to me. In fact it's much better than my previous XBR1 and my Mother's Polaroid LCD TV. I don't feel like spending too much time worryin about calibration since I hope to get a professional calibration done soon.

Also, I watched some content on the Polaroid TV this weekend and saw significant motion blur from a Dish Network feed compared to my TV.

Now nitpick away fellas

Brandon

Thanks, Brandon. One reason why I was interested in your settings is because I have the same Motorola 3416 STB over Comcast as you. When/if my 52xbr5 arrives, I was going to try using an HDMI connection from the STB to the xbr before having to resort to Component.

Did you try HDMI from your STB? Wondering how the PQ was.

Thanks again for posting your settings and helping out.
post #226 of 5495 Old 09-17-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vumcrab View Post

Thanks, Brandon. One reason why I was interested in your settings is because I have the same Motorola 3416 STB over Comcast as you. When/if my 52xbr5 arrives, I was going to try using an HDMI connection from the STB to the xbr before having to resort to Component.

Thanks again for posting your settings and helping out.

I also have a Motorola 3416 and I am using an HDMI connection from the box to my XBR5. Is there some reason the Component cable would be better than the HDMI? Thanks.

"Hence we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." - Winston Churchill
post #227 of 5495 Old 09-17-2007, 11:24 AM

I'm curious what others have their Power Saving set to?

I've found that during the evening I can set it to 'High' but druing the day I keep it at 'Low'.

At night, the heat coming from the top of the tv is almost nil, and the pic still looks great, actually very natural.

Regards,
post #228 of 5495 Old 09-17-2007, 11:54 AM

Brandon,

Power save on or off?
post #229 of 5495 Old 09-17-2007, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have not, but I may experiment with it at some point. I only have two HDMI cables and I'm using one for the PS3, and the other for an upscaling DVD player which only upscales over HDMI. When using HDMI for the STB instead of component I'm sure some recalibration would need to be done though. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet94 View Post

I also have a Motorola 3416 and I am using an HDMI connection from the box to my XBR5. Is there some reason the Component cable would be better than the HDMI? Thanks.

The only reason I haven't set mine up with HDMI instead of component is because I would have to buy another HDMI cable and I already had 2 component cables lying around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY350Z View Post

Brandon,

Power save on or off?

Mine is set to off.

Can anybody comment as to what they think of the colors on their sets when using my settings? I may experiment with the White Balance when I get bored, but for now I'm very pleased with my picture. Watching Band of Brothers on my upscaling Sony DVD player (only upscales to 1080i, TV does the deinterlacing) looked excellent despite black crush from the DVD player.

Brandon
post #230 of 5495 Old 09-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

I have not, but I may experiment with it at some point. I only have two HDMI cables and I'm using one for the PS3, and the other for an upscaling DVD player which only upscales over HDMI. When using HDMI for the STB instead of component I'm sure some recalibration would need to be done though. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

The only reason I haven't set mine up with HDMI instead of component is because I would have to buy another HDMI cable and I already had 2 component cables lying around.

Mine is set to off.

Can anybody comment as to what they think of the colors on their sets when using my settings? I may experiment with the White Balance when I get bored, but for now I'm very pleased with my picture. Watching Band of Brothers on my upscaling Sony DVD player (only upscales to 1080i, TV does the deinterlacing) looked excellent despite black crush from the DVD player.

Brandon

Sweet! I'll bet BoB is nice in 1080p. Great cinemetography in that series. How are you sure the black crush is coming from the DVD? Reason I ask is because I've seen some black crush caused by some settings on the xbr.
post #231 of 5495 Old 09-17-2007, 02:11 PM

For some reason I believe my XBR4 40'' is getting nosier, from the back of the set. I put the TV on mute when it's turned on and it seems like the motor is a bit loud.

It just seems a little louder after a few weeks of use. I don't think it was that loud when I got it.

Has anyone encounter this, or is it I'm just paranoid, scaring myself thinking my beautiful set is breaking down?

"Some men aren't looking for anything logical.
They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with.
Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Dark Knight Saga - 072012
post #232 of 5495 Old 09-17-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:

Can anybody comment as to what they think of the colors on their sets when using my settings? I may experiment with the White Balance when I get bored, but for now I'm very pleased with my picture.

This is what I got using the AVIA DVD. But it's via SD S-video...

PICTURE:
Backlight 6
Picture 90
Brightness 33
Color from 52-56
Hue either R2, R1, 0
Color Temp Neutral
Sharpness from 30-55
Noise Reduction Low (tested using moving test pattern)
MPEG NR High (tested using moving test pattern)
DRC Mode Off
Black Corrector Off
Advanced C.E. Off
Gamma Off
Clear White Off
Color Space Std.
Live Color Off
White Balance: (did not test yet)
R - gain 0
G - gain 0
B - gain 0
R - bias 0
G - bias 0
B - bias 0
Detail Enhancer Off
Edge Enhancer Off

VIDEO:
Motion Enhancer Std.
CineMotion Auto2

GENERAL:
Power Saving Off
Light Sensor Off
post #233 of 5495 Old 09-18-2007, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sweet! I'll bet BoB is nice in 1080p.

It was excellent. The video interviews of actual Veterans that preceded each episode looked very near HD quality. I was quite surprised.

Quote:

How are you sure the black crush is coming from the DVD? Reason I ask is because I've seen some black crush caused by some settings on the xbr.

Because playing it in the PS3 didn't exhibit the same issues. Another interesting thing is I was watching The Wire: Season 1 and thought I was experiencing black crush. A lot of the first season is spent in that cave they called an office, and I couldn't see much at the edges of certain shots. When pausing it and cranking up the brightness to the max the black fuzz just turned to greyish fuzz, so there really wasn't any information in those areas to begin with.

Brandon
post #234 of 5495 Old 09-18-2007, 06:37 AM

What about the 1080p/24 issue. some say that you have to put the mov. enh. to standard or high and the movie motion off...

i thought i had to put movie motion to auto2 and turn off the mov. enh.

no??
post #235 of 5495 Old 09-18-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack.bauer View Post

What about the 1080p/24 issue. some say that you have to put the mov. enh. to standard or high and the movie motion off...

i thought i had to put movie motion to auto2 and turn off the mov. enh.

no??

The conventional wisdom on the forum has been to use Cinemotion Auto 2, but CDJayRFU said awhile back on the owners thread:
Quote:

"I really wish someone could explain what the differences are between Cinemotion Auto 1 & 2."

Auto 1 inserts intermediate frames to reduce judder.... however in my experience it actually makes judder MUCH worse w/ 1080i/60hz material. IE what I suspect most U.S based people will run through the set.

With 1080p/24 or 1080i/50 ( Sky HD ) material it smooths out motion on pans significantly, particuarly when used in conjunction w/ Motionflow ( on Standard ).

Example: Apocalypto, on Blu Ray, at 1080p/24. There is a scene near the start somewhere, with a medium speed pan vertically up a cliff wall. Without Auto 1 / Standard, it judders like hell. With them on, it is pretty damned smooth.

I tried what he said on the Layer Cake BD, when I had problems in the beginning scene where the camera pans a row of bottles and I couldn't read the labels. I switched from Auto 2 to Auto 1 and it was crystal clear, proof that Auto 2 is not always the best setting.
post #236 of 5495 Old 09-18-2007, 09:12 AM

Are picture settings stored uniquely per input? and/or input type?

In other words, can I setup "standard" for HDMI 1
input and also have a different "standard" setup for HDMI 3
and yet another "standard" setup for Component?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
post #237 of 5495 Old 09-18-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammeron56 View Post

Are picture settings stored uniquely per input? and/or input type?

In other words, can I setup "standard" for HDMI 1
input and also have a different "standard" setup for HDMI 3
and yet another "standard" setup for Component?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

They are unique per input, at least for HDMI.

Pete
post #238 of 5495 Old 09-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post

The conventional wisdom on the forum has been to use Cinemotion Auto 2, but CDJayRFU said awhile back on the owners thread:

I tried what he said on the Layer Cake BD, when I had problems in the beginning scene where the camera pans a row of bottles and I couldn't read the labels. I switched from Auto 2 to Auto 1 and it was crystal clear, proof that Auto 2 is not always the best setting.

Sorry to be a downer about this, but this is the exact problem I have with this technology, at least at this point in time.

Users/owners have to almost have a degree from MIT to not only figure out what's going on with all these different settings and what they affect, but also how to apply them on each input AND know what the source feed is (i.e. 1080i/50 or 1080p/24 or SD or HD over component or over HDMI or over coax, etc.).

I suppose you could get good at it after a while and store your configs. on "custom" for one set of variables and then configs. on "standard" for another and so on, but geeeeez.....when do ever just get to sit, hit the power button and watch without tweaking??
post #239 of 5495 Old 09-18-2007, 09:55 AM

So what do we need to be watching for Auto1 to look good? I currently watch regular DVDs and play games on my XBox360 via HDMI, and Auto1 looked horrible half the time. Sure, the motion blur on scrolling text was gone, but action-packed scenes of the movies/games looked awful.

Here's a neat test I did. I was playing Bioshock, and I was at the map screen. When I scrolled the map, the motion blur on the letters looked bad. But with Auto 1 there was no motion blur. But the rest of the game looked bad. Any ideas on how to further reduce motion blur, either through Xbox360 settings or through XBR4 settings?
post #240 of 5495 Old 09-18-2007, 10:35 AM

Well I'm bringing my 40XBR4 back this week for another one. Seems as though there is something wrong with viewing angles on mine. As I asked before on the forum and some people have confirmed it is Not a problem watching SD channels on an angle for most of the sets except mine and it's driving me crazy. Colors look like crap and bleeding. Plus the fan is getting a little loud in the back I think. Oh well still within 30days. See you soon CC.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 52xbr5 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 32xbr4 32 Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 52xbr4 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page