Official Sony XBR4/5 Owners Thread(NO PRICE TALK) - Page 112 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3331 of 11990 Old 10-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't care for Monster cables. Go online and look for a company called Better Cables. They make a fantastic HDMI called the Silver Serpent. HDMI v1.3 uses twice the bandwidth of past versions. I love the Silver Serpent cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 11990 Old 10-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by colquittlee View Post

Did you really see a difference in picture quality with the HDMI cables vs. the component video cables the XBR comes with?

I didn't get component cables with my xbr. Great. First I miss the $1500 price drop now I miss the free cable give away.

Anyway, HDMI is the only hookup I've had. I love it and no reason to change.
post #3333 of 11990 Old 10-26-2007, 09:14 PM

I have a KDL-52XBR5 Bravia, but am having a problem getting 1920x1080 over a VGA connection. The manual says it is supported. My videocard is an NVIDIA 7800GT, I use a dvi to vga converter, and run a cable to the bravia. Any resolution @ 1600 and lower works perfectly, but when I attempt the 1920x1080 resolution, it says "Unsupported signal. Check your device output." on the television. The television works flawlessly using a DVI > HDMI cord @ 1080p, but I would like to save the HDMI ports for other devices. Is there a monitor INF file for the Bravia?

Any help is appreciated.
post #3334 of 11990 Old 10-26-2007, 10:02 PM

Circuitcity.com does have a nice deal right now, there is also a 100 off coupon code right on the tv page (VWA75GYA6N). I'm really surprised (pleasantly) its down this low this fast!

so....yadda yadda yadda, i'm looking forward to getting mine delivered soon!
post #3335 of 11990 Old 10-26-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addict gamer View Post

So, this set is so much better than the last one. Things I notice right away

Even backlighting with no clouds or flashlights. Better blacks.
Im able to turn the brightness up to 70 without the screen being completely grey. (this is on a blank input to test like one I viewed in a store)
Much better viewing angle and no blotchy screen on a dark input from any angle.
It had about 8 stuck pixles on all white sceen all differebt colors that I massaged out by barely touching it exept for one green one.

Any suggestions for fixing the last stuck pixle?

It looks like maybe I spoke to soon. I have alot of noise in the picture that was not there before I think, like this guy http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post12016497 Im really dissapointed as this set looked perfect untill I started noticing noise where I had not seen it before.
Now whats next? Do I call sony hope they admit there is a problem with it or return yet another one to my bud that gave me such a good seal on it. (pulls hair out)
post #3336 of 11990 Old 10-26-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:

It looks like maybe I spoke to soon. I have alot of noise in the picture that was not there before I think, like this guy http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post12016497 Im really dissapointed as this set looked perfect untill I started noticing noise where I had not seen it before.
Now whats next? Do I call sony hope they admit there is a problem with it or return yet another one to my bud that gave me such a good seal on it. (pulls hair out)

Sounds like it might be the signal from your cable provider, or perhaps your cable box. Do you see the same noise with Blu-ray?
post #3337 of 11990 Old 10-26-2007, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Admit there is a problem with the TV showing too much noise? First, you have to describe exactly what you are seeing. "Noise" is in almost every signal/source, it's just the degree that determines whether there is something wrong. As was mentioned over in that thread, there is film noise even in Blu-ray/HD-DVD movies, but because that poster put a picture up, the guys there determined there was a problem. I've never seen that movie so I can't comment as to what it's supposed to look like. So what sources do you see noise on? What does it look like? How far away from the TV are you when you see it to a level where it is distracting?

Second, if it is determined that something is wrong, some small amount of testing needs to be done to figure out where the noise it being introduced. Is it the cable? Is is the player? Is it a bad disc? Those are the types of things that need to be figured out. Especially when you consider that this problem doesn't seem to have shown up for virtually anybody else.

Brandon
post #3338 of 11990 Old 10-26-2007, 11:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

Admit there is a problem with the TV showing too much noise? First, you have to describe exactly what you are seeing. "Noise" is in almost every signal/source, it's just the degree that determines whether there is something wrong. As was mentioned over in that thread, there is film noise even in Blu-ray/HD-DVD movies, but because that poster put a picture up, the guys there determined there was a problem. I've never seen that movie so I can't comment as to what it's supposed to look like. So what sources do you see noise on? What does it look like? How far away from the TV are you when you see it to a level where it is distracting?

Second, if it is determined that something is wrong, some small amount of testing needs to be done to figure out where the noise it being introduced. Is it the cable? Is is the player? Is it a bad disc? Those are the types of things that need to be figured out. Especially when you consider that this problem doesn't seem to have shown up for virtually anybody else.

Brandon

I agree. What are the details of your problem??
post #3339 of 11990 Old 10-27-2007, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake76 View Post

I'm this close to pulling the trigger on buying the 40" XBR4 but I'm still concerned about a few things. I am slightly worried about the fan noise in the 40" model which people have been reporting. It's really hard to tell over the internet whether or not people exaggerate when they say how loud it is. Clouding seems to be an issue sometimes as well. Finally, all the XBR4s that I've seen in stores had stuck bright green pixels. Has anyone here noticed any stuck pixels on their sets?

Also, and this might just be me, but when I was examining the XBR4 in the store, when I read white text on a black background, I experienced a bit of a "rainbow effect" which is something I thought was exclusive to DLP televisions. Does anyone else see this or are my eyes just really sensitive?

Anyone?
post #3340 of 11990 Old 10-27-2007, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3b0p View Post

Picked up a 40" XBR4 yesterday afternoon.

Thanks Brandon (bplewis24) and gand41f

You're so very welcome.

I finally tracked down a 46" XBR4 myself too. It's going to be delivered in about a week.

I'm so fired up! I think I need to go get a monster HDMI cable to enjoy the 1080p24 in full glory on my new TV!!!

enjoy
gandalf

P.S. In case anyone is wondering, that's a joke.
post #3341 of 11990 Old 10-27-2007, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake76 View Post

I'm this close to pulling the trigger on buying the 40" XBR4 but I'm still concerned about a few things. I am slightly worried about the fan noise in the 40" model which people have been reporting. It's really hard to tell over the internet whether or not people exaggerate when they say how loud it is. Clouding seems to be an issue sometimes as well. Finally, all the XBR4s that I've seen in stores had stuck bright green pixels. Has anyone here noticed any stuck pixels on their sets?

Also, and this might just be me, but when I was examining the XBR4 in the store, when I read white text on a black background, I experienced a bit of a "rainbow effect" which is something I thought was exclusive to DLP televisions. Does anyone else see this or are my eyes just really sensitive?

I have a 40" XBR5 (and a 40" XBR3 before that), and have heard no fans. I haven't opened mine up, but if there is a fan inside it, it's impossible to tell. There are service manuals somewhere... perhaps someone can provide a definitive answer as to whether fans are a part of the cooling or not. I believe it is all convective cooling, but again, I haven't opened one up.

"Clouding" is primaily a picture quality setting issue... if the backlight and brightness are set to a reasonable level, any variations in the backlighting aren't visible. But there are some people who insist that it is a problem at normal viewing settings (for them, anyway). This isn't just a "Sony problem"... all LCD panels can display this phenomena.

Neither of my two 40" displays have had any stuck or bad pixels (or "clouding", for that matter).

Finally, I would suspect the input source as the problem of any rainbow effect on displaying white text. It's not technically possible with LCD, unless perhaps the source contains color and it's being upscaled poorly. I've watched countless amounts of text from all sorts of sources and have never seen any rainbow effect. In fact, 1080p content with text, such as in a game opening sequence or Blu-Ray film titles, is downright scary how perfect it is.
post #3342 of 11990 Old 10-27-2007, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw6928 View Post

I am sure this may have been asked but I am new here and to XBR4s. I have a 40" XBR4 and there is a dull thud every time you change the channel (even with the sound muted)
Any ideas?

Since there is nothing mechanical in the display, what you describe sounds very strange. Could you describe your entire AV setup, including any set top boxes or external sound equipment (speakers, etc.)? Or are you just putting a coaxial cable signal directly into the F connector input?
post #3343 of 11990 Old 10-27-2007, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colquittlee View Post

Did you really see a difference in picture quality with the HDMI cables vs. the component video cables the XBR comes with?

Most likely yes. Fry's in Sunnyvale had the Sony BDP-S300 hooked up to the 65" Sharp via HDMI and 52" Sony XBR4 via component. The Sony was looking decidedly more jaggy around the edges. It gave me a heart attack for a moment until the sales rep told me about the cables.

I didn't check, but I assume the component was running at 1080i60 too. (Can this TV accept 1080p60 over component?)

enjoy
gandalf
post #3344 of 11990 Old 10-27-2007, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven233 View Post

Anyway, I do have a very important question to ask before I pick up the TV. What HDMI cables should I get? The guy at BB told me that I had to get the MONSTER 1000 series since this is a 120 Hz TV. They said that they are the only cables that can process information fast enough to take advantage of the 120 Hz and provide 100% 1080p.

Oh boy, here we go!

Not to minimize your question sven233, but you will certainly get answers from no shortage of people. Bottom line is that those cables are a waste. Get on to the Blue Jeans Cable or Monoprice websites and find yourself a reasonably priced HDMI cable. Or even go to Wal-Mart and get one there if you can't wait for delivery through the post.

If you want to have a laugh, ask the folks at Best Buy to differentiate the $130 cable they pointed you to from the $99 cable for the Playstation 3, since it also outputs 1080p, or the $220 cable I saw there last week, or the $35 cable from Wal-Mart.... you get my point. Also be sure to ask them what the profit margin on those cables are, and whether there is any incentive to them on the sale. (I'm not convinced that there are no commissions or sales incentives whatsoever at Best Buy, even if the incentive is simply continued employment).

With analog video sources, cable quality can have an impact on signal quality (and hence picture quality). With digital sources, such as HDMI or DVI, you either have a picture or you don't. Period. The only concern with digital might be packet loss (similar problems with computer data networking), but this simply won't happen on the 6-12' of cable between your video device and the display.
post #3345 of 11990 Old 10-27-2007, 02:59 AM

Quote:

As was mentioned over in that thread, there is film noise even in Blu-ray/HD-DVD movies...

I rented Babel from Blockbuster last week, and there was a significant amount of grain (from film) visible. This is an unfortunate reality of watching film to video transfers of movies shot with particular film types/sizes. Babel was shot on 16mm and 35mm film, then printed to 35mm. Even with a great film print, once it's transfered and displayed at 1080p, every little fault with the original source will be visible for all to see.
post #3346 of 11990 Old 10-27-2007, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edr229 View Post

I rented Babel from Blockbuster last week, and there was a significant amount of grain (from film) visible. This is an unfortunate reality of watching film to video transfers of movies shot with particular film types/sizes. Babel was shot on 16mm and 35mm film, then printed to 35mm. Even with a great film print, once it's transfered and displayed at 1080p, every little fault with the original source will be visible for all to see.

Film grain is not noise. It's part of the film's physical structure. You will see film grain at theaters too.

Be happy that your player and XBR4 (to bring this post back to topic) are faithfully reproducing every aspect of the movie as the director shot it.

enjoy
gandalf
post #3347 of 11990 Old 10-27-2007, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gand41f View Post

Film grain is not noise. It's part of the film's physical structure. You will see film grain at theaters too.

Right, but now that this is so much more visible in HD, it will be confused as noise or poor PQ by those who don't understand that a 16mm film is supposed to look that way.
post #3348 of 11990 Old 10-27-2007, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven233 View Post

Hey everyone! I'm a new member to the forum, but I have been a regular reader here ever since the XBR4 came out. I am now proud to say we made the leap and we will be picking our brand new 52XBR4 up on Tuesday! We got a great deal as well.....with BB dropping their price to $3999 today and with a 10% BB coupon that can easily be found online, we got the TV for under $3600! We were pretty pleased with that!

Anyway, I do have a very important question to ask before I pick up the TV. What HDMI cables should I get? The guy at BB told me that I had to get the MONSTER 1000 series since this is a 120 Hz TV. They said that they are the only cables that can process information fast enough to take advantage of the 120 Hz and provide 100% 1080p.

Here is a link to the cables they want me to buy:

w w w .bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8473546&productCategoryId=abcat0107020&type=product&tab=2&id=1188558642139#productdetail

I am wondering what everyone here is doing about cables. I have heard from some people that the HDMI cables don't make a difference in picture and I have also heard some say exactly what the BB guys are saying about the picture looking MUCH better.

I know Monster makes great products, but I am not sure these cable are worth $130 a piece. I want to take full advantage of this TV. I want to do everything I can to get the best possible picture. If the TV is capable to 120 Hz, I want it to do 120 Hz. If it can do full 1080p, I want to make sure it does 1080p. So, please help me out here guys. What should I do about these cables?

PS. Thank you guys so much for all of your feedback about the TV. You have been very instrumental in helping me make this TV purchase and I can't wait to pick up my 52XBR4!

Can you please PM me with the url for the coupon. I've tried and can't find it. Most of the ones I've found have expired. Thanks.
post #3349 of 11990 Old 10-27-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:

Oh boy, here we go!

Not to minimize your question sven233, but you will certainly get answers from no shortage of people. Bottom line is that those cables are a waste. Get on to the Blue Jeans Cable or Monoprice websites and find yourself a reasonably priced HDMI cable. Or even go to Wal-Mart and get one there if you can't wait for delivery through the post.

If you want to have a laugh, ask the folks at Best Buy to differentiate the $130 cable they pointed you to from the $99 cable for the Playstation 3, since it also outputs 1080p, or the $220 cable I saw there last week, or the $35 cable from Wal-Mart.... you get my point. Also be sure to ask them what the profit margin on those cables are, and whether there is any incentive to them on the sale. (I'm not convinced that there are no commissions or sales incentives whatsoever at Best Buy, even if the incentive is simply continued employment).

With analog video sources, cable quality can have an impact on signal quality (and hence picture quality). With digital sources, such as HDMI or DVI, you either have a picture or you don't. Period. The only concern with digital might be packet loss (similar problems with computer data networking), but this simply won't happen on the 6-12' of cable between your video device and the display.

FYI, the BB/CC employee price for an HDMI cable is somewhere in the vicinity of 10% of the customer (sucker?) price so an employee pays around $13 for the cable that costs the customer (sucker?) $130. And BB/CC is making money on the employee sale.

There is no such thing as a HDMI 1.3 cable. 1. An HDMI cable is an HDMI cable. and 2. There is no source available that uses the 1.3 capabilities yet so one wouldn't need the cables yet even if there were such a need which there isn't.

BB/CC sales people do have an incentive to sell people stuff that they don't need. It's called employment. It is also called freedom from hassling by supervisor due to poor store results.
post #3350 of 11990 Old 10-27-2007, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I used to be a salesmanager at Circuity City a while back, the employee cost not 10%, employees can only dream. Believe it or not it's no where near that.

Making the most out of what I got.
post #3351 of 11990 Old 10-27-2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:

Brandon

This is for blu-ray, dvd over the ps3, xbox 360, and cable.
I noticed it while watching a movie that I had not seen before and thought like most of you are saying that it was from the film but after testing with bluray and 1080p trailers on the ps3. I noticed that the picture is has little fuzzie noise jumping around everywhere in the picture mostly in darker areas. I tried to make marcus on gears of war face look as real as it did with the last set while he is up against a wall. The result was I could barely see his eyes as his forehead seems like its overlapping where his eyes would be almost like he is winking. While watching a dvd with wife who does not have the best eyes, I pointed it out and she notices as well. I have bettter than 20/20 vision so i can see it 8 feet away.

1080p trailers from ps3

notice the similarity to this guys photos from the link to the other guys thread above i posted above

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...1&d=1193244755

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...2&d=1193244755

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...3&d=1193244755
post #3352 of 11990 Old 10-27-2007, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I picked up a 40XBR4 and have a quick bunch of noob questions:

1. How loud should the fan be? It's not loud, but it isn't silent either.
2. There is a blinking orange light, behind the TV in the grill above the input jacks, when the TV is on. Is this normal?
3. The screen sometimes gets darker while watching programs with dark images. I think this has something to do with the dynamic contrast. Is there a way to adjust this as it sometimes makes the image too dark to see.
post #3353 of 11990 Old 10-27-2007, 09:09 AM

[quote=addict gamer;12029950]This is for blu-ray, dvd over the ps3, xbox 360, and cable.
I noticed it while watching a movie that I had not seen before and thought like most of you are saying that it was from the film but after testing with bluray and 1080p trailers on the ps3. I noticed that the picture is has little fuzzie noise jumping around everywhere in the picture mostly in darker areas. I tried to make marcus on gears of war face look as real as it did with the last set while he is up against a wall. The result was I could barely see his eyes as his forehead seems like its overlapping where his eyes would be almost like he is winking. While watching a dvd with wife who does not have the best eyes, I pointed it out and she notices as well. I have bettter than 20/20 vision so i can see it 8 feet away.

1080p trailers from ps3

Turn off game mode before watching trailers on ps3 same goes for BD movies and dvd's and then see the difference,I bet that's your problem,try it,I already did as I noticed same grainy texture with game mode on,peace. Get back on that one
post #3354 of 11990 Old 10-27-2007, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just one other question. My laptop has both VGA (analog) and DVI (digital) outputs. Has anyone noticed any differences between using the VGA input and a DVI to HDMI input?
post #3355 of 11990 Old 10-27-2007, 10:29 AM

CC has much better price.check it out
post #3356 of 11990 Old 10-27-2007, 10:45 AM

How big is the box for the 40" xbr4/5? Thanks.
post #3357 of 11990 Old 10-27-2007, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

This is for blu-ray, dvd over the ps3, xbox 360, and cable.

1080p trailers from ps3

notice the similarity to this guys photos from the link to the other guys thread above i posted above

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...1&d=1193244755

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...2&d=1193244755

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...3&d=1193244755

What trailer is that? I'd like to download it for a comparison.

Brandon
post #3358 of 11990 Old 10-27-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsedels View Post

Can you please PM me with the url for the coupon. I've tried and can't find it. Most of the ones I've found have expired. Thanks.

PM sent! Hope the coupon works for you as well! Valid until the end of October. Hope it works for ya!
post #3359 of 11990 Old 10-27-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:

Oh boy, here we go!

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I have done a lot of research and I think I will go with some cables from Monoprice.
post #3360 of 11990 Old 10-27-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:

Oh boy, here we go!

Hey everyone. I did the research and bought from Monoprice. I ended up buying 4 of these cables from Monoprice:

HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified CL2 Rated (For In-Wall Installation) Cable (24AWG) - 10ft (Gold Plated)

Hope I did well by getting these cables. They seemed like the best they had at 10 feet. Does anyone else use these cables?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 52xbr4 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page