52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 11990 Old 08-25-2007, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm using the XBR4 as my alarm clock. Thats a very cool feature.

It's all about 1080P/24 & HD audio
Toshiba HD-XA2
Panasonic DMP-BD30K
Sony KDL-40XBR4
Elite VSX-92TXH (w/7.1)
post #543 of 11990 Old 08-25-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

1. Model Name - KDL-46XBR4
2. Bought Date and Place - 8/19/07 at CircuitCity.com
3. Manufacturing date and place - Mexico of Aug 07
4. Software Version - M-BMN-A-H-C-D-L-A-N
5. Firmware Version -
Digital
DM1.012A00LA
DD0.000A00LU
M2.001C

SUB
SM1.007W00AA
SD1.003W00AA
SB1.002W00AA

BE
BM1.011A00LU
BD1.013A00LUX
BB1.000W00AU

7. Detected Issues - None so far. When I first powered up the set and put it on a blank input in a pitch black room with the Backlight cranked all the way up I thought I spotted some faint clouds, but I couldn't be sure of it. About an hour later after watching some content I put it back on a blank input and either the clouding was so faint that I couldn't spot it again or it's just not there. Either way I'm satisfied with that aspect of it. I also turned the backlight down to 5 and day-to-day haven't spotted any uneven backlighting issues or mura. So far so good. Honestly, I think I'm paranoid about the mura issue and trying much too hard to spot it. I've dubbed this new phenomenon "Muranoid."

8. Comments - For the context of the following comments keep in mind that I don't have any ideas for calibration so I am running the picture in "Custom" mode with the backlight at 5, sharpness down a bit and Warm1 color mode.
  • The black levels haven't wowed me or blown me away but I don't really have any barometer for that. In any event the PQ has wowed me. I happened to have Bridge To Terabithia arrive on Blu-ray arrive on Friday (same day the set came) so I popped that into the PS3. The PQ was excellent and really did impress me, but it's always hard to tell how much of that is from the upgrade in processing from my 3 year old HDTV and how much of that is from the upgrade in size from my previous 32", 720p LCD TV. In any event, I have been very impressed. The movie on the other hand was so bad to me that I just skipped through the chapters to see how the TV performed on different scenes.
  • I'm running HD Cable from a Motorola 3416 STB, and the HD feeds from HBO and ESPN have been excellent, but I haven't spent too much time on that content. The SD feeds have only had marginal improvement to my eyes so far. Comedy Central gets a lot of airplay in my living room and it was pretty horrible on my previous set, and there seems to be slightly less artifacting on the new XBR4, which may be more impressive when you consider the picture is 14" larger from my previous TV. I haven't been able to watch any HD Sports on the display yet, which I think is my last, biggest, concern. When watching my two favorite sports (Football on network channels and Boxing on HBO) there has always been some macroblocking on certain channels. Fox is usually pretty good, and NBC is usually pretty bad with football. I'm anxious to see how the Motionflow impacts this, if at all. Hopefully this weekend I can update that.
  • The effect when having Motion Enhancer on "High" and Cinemotion on "Auto1" is one of the weirdest things I've seen on a television. It's almost cool to watch for a few minutes, but it looks unnatural. There is also some artifacting as mentioned before, but it's hard to reproduce so it seems to be a bit arbitrary in nature. There is some difference when using Motion Enhancer and Cinemotion on "Auto2" for the benefit of the viewer. And watching a BD in 1080p24 was beautiful on Bridge To Terabithia.
  • I'm loving the Full Pixel option which gives 1:1 pixel mapping. I didn't really realize what I was missing before. It's very nice to have.
  • Despite the display appearing slightly more reflective than my previous matte LCD out of the box, it still performs great with blinds completely open and sun glaring through directly on the TV. This was a big deal for me, because I had been strongly considering the Samsung 81 for several months now.
  • I haven't used game mode at all, and there has been no noticeable lag at all. For me, lag always set in when playing a baseball game. The pitching meter is based on timing and it has to be very precise. I have yet to turn game mode on, and I've been able to play the game without problem. The Motion Enhancer set to high appeared to affect the performance of the game, but the problem is I couldn't tell if it was for better or worse. I'll play with that more later and give some impressions.
  • Using the HQV Blu-ray disk, I was able to do some testing on the TV:
  • Noise Reduction Test-When the TV's NR setting is set to "low", it scored pretty well on the test. When setting NR to "high" noise was reduced greatly, but at the expense of loss of detail. Bottom line, you choose what you want with this setting and it's nice to have all 3 options.
  • Video Resolution Loss Test-The TV scored a perfect score in this test on my Custom settings. However, I was able to reproduce the HDGuru failures by setting the TV to Vivid mode. I isolated the failure to the "DRC Mode 1" option. For whatever reason, this causes resolution loss in both Film and Video Resolution Loss tests.
  • Jaggies Test-As was expected, the top two bars of this test were smooth and the last bar exhibited some jaggies. Turning Cinemotion to Auto2 and Motion Enhancer to "High" only reduced the jaggies on the last bar by a very slight amount.
  • Film Resolution Loss Test-Scored perfect on this test, with the same comments from Video Resolution Loss Test above applying here.

Lastly, I'm going to try and read up in the manual about the DRC modes. Whatever processing it does seems to affect the PQ/performance dramatically. Setting it to Mode1 and using the other default settings from "Vivid" mode cause complete failures. Setting it to Mode2 (which is used in "Cinema" mode, makes the picture appear very blurry to my untrained eye. Anybody have any insight as to when DRC mode should be used and what it's supposed to achieve?

Well, those are my initial impressions. I would post pictures but since I moved recently I can't find the charger for the proprietary battery in my Canon PowerShot S60 . If I find it I'll try and upload some.

Brandon

I have my motion enhancer set to high for cable box, but using Auto2 Cinemotion, this is working very well for me. Again for the cable box.

Toshiba HD-XA2
Panasonic DMP-BD30K
Sony KDL-40XBR4
Elite VSX-92TXH (w/7.1)
post #544 of 11990 Old 08-25-2007, 10:15 PM

Thanks bplewis24. I'm considering this TV and will really appreciate if you can clarify a question regarding 24Hz -> 120Hz conversion. I'm searching high and low over the Internet and haven't found any confirmation one way or the other regarding 5:5 pulldown for this TV.

Quote:

• The effect when having Motion Enhancer on "High" and Cinemotion on "Auto1" is one of the weirdest things I've seen on a television. It's almost cool to watch for a few minutes, but it looks unnatural. There is also some artifacting as mentioned before, but it's hard to reproduce so it seems to be a bit arbitrary in nature. There is some difference when using Motion Enhancer and Cinemotion on "Auto2" for the benefit of the viewer. And watching a BD in 1080p24 was beautiful on Bridge To Terabithia.

Can you tell whether the TV is doing 5:5 pulldown or is it going through 24Hz -[3:2]-> 60Hz -[double to 6:4]-> 120Hz? Is there any judder on the end credits or slow panning scenes that you can see only on 1080p60 but not on 1080p24?

thanks
gandalf
post #545 of 11990 Old 08-25-2007, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilleyj View Post

Brandon,

After you get done hunting for your camera battery, would you elaborate on the 1:1 pixel mapping?

I'm not sure I understand.

I even read this: Does your TV support 1:1 pixel mapping?

Are you saying that the "trimmed away" strips on the top/sides/bottom are visible?

Do you leave it on all the time?
Does it sometimes cause flickering bars on an edge??

John

You have it correct, on some sources there is slightly more material on the sides of the screen that we are missing because of the source being overscanned so that it can fill the entire screen. I don't mind the 1/4" bars at the top and bottom that appear on certain sources when the tradeoff is the extra viewing material.

And yes, there is a flickering bar on the top edge when I watched the Daily Show this way. So far, I use "Full Pixel" for 1:1 mapping on the Blu-ray player and DVD input, and on my Cable Box input I've got it set to "normal." Most of the time when viewing TV shows you're not missing much and on some channels there was the possibility of the flickering at the edge. However it wasn't a distraction for me. I actually didn't notice it til halfway through the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gad Zookz View Post

Thanks for this. You have covered so much ground in so few words. I was wondering if youu had tested it on a PC yet.

I briefly hooked my windows XP laptop up to it via VGA connection at the request of a forum member. Basically I just wanted to see if I could reproduce the horizontal banding on a dark grey background screen that he was experiencing, but I couldn't.

I do have a higher powered desktop but I'm a bit too lazy to hook that up to it at the moment. That is the only PC I have with a DVI out, but I don't have a DVI->HDMI cable to use with it.

Brandon
post #546 of 11990 Old 08-25-2007, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gand41f View Post

Thanks bplewis24. I'm considering this TV and will really appreciate if you can clarify a question regarding 24Hz -> 120Hz conversion. I'm searching high and low over the Internet and haven't found any confirmation one way or the other regarding 5:5 pulldown for this TV.

Can you tell whether the TV is doing 5:5 pulldown or is it going through 24Hz -[3:2]-> 60Hz -[double to 6:4]-> 120Hz? Is there any judder on the end credits or slow panning scenes that you can see only on 1080p60 but not on 1080p24?

thanks
gandalf

Is there any, more specific or detailed way you can give me to go about finding an answer to this question? I'll be glad to help if I can, but even if there is no judder on those scenes I won't be able to truely know if the set is doing 5:5 pulldown, will I?

Brandon
post #547 of 11990 Old 08-25-2007, 11:17 PM

well, I am still waiting for 46XBR4. I went to best buy and they had 40xBR4 and Pioneer 5080 plasma. they were playing some jazz concert with dark tones.... Man XBR4 looked like sh$t compared to 5080. Pixelation, tones are so so... It made me regret that I ordered XBR4... Oh, well.
post #548 of 11990 Old 08-25-2007, 11:35 PM

Quote:

The effect when having Motion Enhancer on "High" and Cinemotion on "Auto1" is one of the weirdest things I've seen on a television. It's almost cool to watch for a few minutes, but it looks unnatural. There is also some artifacting as mentioned before, but it's hard to reproduce so it seems to be a bit arbitrary in nature. There is some difference when using Motion Enhancer and Cinemotion on "Auto2" for the benefit of the viewer. And watching a BD in 1080p24 was beautiful on Bridge To Terabithia.

I haven't used game mode at all, and there has been no noticeable lag at all. For me, lag always set in when playing a baseball game. The pitching meter is based on timing and it has to be very precise. I have yet to turn game mode on, and I've been able to play the game without problem. The Motion Enhancer set to high appeared to affect the performance of the game, but the problem is I couldn't tell if it was for better or worse. I'll play with that more later and give some impressions.

Hm, for me, I noticed lag. When playing resident evil 4, all I had to do was wiggle the Wii remote and watch the crosshair move (up until today, I had been playing it on a JVC CRT). Also felt timing differences while playing Super Smash Bros. Melee with Motionflow and CineMotion enabled. By the way, pivoting constantly in resident evil 4 with Motionflow and CineMotion enabled sure reveals some artifacts [mostly around static objects (like a game's HUD) and edges of the screen (for obvious reasons)]—kind of cool to see Sony's algorithm in action. The artifacts do, in fact, vanish with CineMotion on Auto2 (as well all know). The median effect is Motionflow on Standard and CineMotion on Auto1. I'd leave 'em off if you're a twitch (quick-reflex) gamer where every true, game-constructed frame counts.

Here is the cloud-factor on my television. Really tough to notice unless you look for it, and only on the darkest of blacks. It's seems so slight [in my opinion], it gives me second thoughts about returning because I'm afraid I might end up with a cloudy television like what people on here are getting. I did pay for extended service though, so I might as well exercise it by returning the set a few times, right? Right? (I'm a crazy perfectionist like the rest of you, but I just don't do to well on the whole luck thing.)
LL
post #549 of 11990 Old 08-25-2007, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

Say it isnt so.

It ain't so, leave it in the LX177 thread. Trust me I know what green shadows are and I'm XBR4 doesn't have them. My LX177 is a different story...

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XB1 l PS4 l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR
post #550 of 11990 Old 08-26-2007, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

Thanks, and no I did not. They are sending out a replacement, should have in 10-15 days. If it is green, I am hoping for my money back so I can look at this set or the Sammy 71.

I posted this link in another thread, but here it goes again:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1847

P.S. That BBY did not have the XBR4 yet, but my local CC does. Hopefully, I will be able to do a side by side sometimes next week.

Samsung: 52" 850 / 46" 61 / 40" 61 / PS3 / BD-P1500 / A3 HD-DVD / Format Neutral
post #551 of 11990 Old 08-26-2007, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080z View Post

This review refers to clouding and settings. I think it's pertinent, but it's your choice to read it. Very interesting observations about 1080p vs. 720p, too. This reviewer believes 1080p is more hype than performance. People who don't want to be informed shouldn't read the review.

1080z,

If you read that 2006 article. He never uses the word "hype." He says that at the time of the article (2006 and the cost of the 52XBR2) he doesn't think that the differences between 1080p vs 1080i (720p) was worth it. Again, at the time. And him saying that 1080p looked worse (color saturation) on an older HDTV in which, HDMI specs, player encoding quality, and source material were not as optimized/standardized as they are today is another thing that kind makes that info outdated.

I really don't think that a display like the XBR2, which is much older, a non-120Hz, 8bit panel and generally not as up-to-date as newer HDMI 1.3 capable HDTVs that you should be using an article to suggest that we should buy a 1080i/720p-only HDTVs instead. From now and into the future, 1080p, will just come-with. There will be no option -- even for smaller sets. And with more and more 1080p/24fps/120Hz, 10-bit panels it will be an greater return of: More Performance + Lower Cost = More value. Would you complain that you got 1080p capable HDTV if it were cheaper than it was 1-2 years ago for the same size?

That would be like complaining to your car dealership if they threw in a CD player in your new Mercedes at minimum cost (back in 1995). What used to be "new technology" will soon become "standard technology."

Also, the audence here is quite different that your avereage joe audience. We look at every detail and are willing to spend a bit more for that small difference.

"As mentioned in other articles, it's just hard to justify extra expense for 1080p vs. 1080i (720p). It's the newest higher resolution to sell the consumer, but is it worth the extra money? Not in my opinion. Having seen the 1080p vs. 1080i several times with several TVs, I can hardly tell the difference and there is that odd event when the 1080p picture actually looks worse due to color over saturation.

At the time this article was written the Sony KDL-52XBR2 was priced at around $XXXX, which represents a small premium over Sharp and Samsung, but a hefty premium over a top of the line 50" plasma tv."
post #552 of 11990 Old 08-26-2007, 12:48 AM

Quote:

2. Bought Date and Place - 8/19/07 at CircuitCity.com
3. Manufacturing date and place - Mexico of Aug 07
4. Software Version - M-BMN-A-H-C-D-L-A-N
5. Firmware Version -

Brandon,

Is the "August 07, Mexico" vs "July 07, Mexico" have any thing to do with different peoples results here?

I remember reading something about that in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBrackin View Post

My info:

1. Model name – KDL-40XBR4
2. Bought date and place – 7/24/2007 J&R Music (New York)
2a. Shipped - 8/21/2007 via Eagle Ground
2b. Delivered - Picked up at Eagle GL loading dock on 8/25/2007
3. Manufacturing date and place – July 2007, Mexico
4. Software Version – M-BMN-A-H-C-D-L-A-N
5. Firmware Version –

post #553 of 11990 Old 08-26-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBrackin View Post

You think I oughta try to send back to New York for another one?

Adjust your picture settings. The cloud will go away (at least on 2 sets I've seen).
post #554 of 11990 Old 08-26-2007, 01:02 AM

Quote:

7. Detected Issues - None so far. When I first powered up the set and put it on a blank input in a pitch black room with the Backlight cranked all the way up I thought I spotted some faint clouds, but I couldn't be sure of it. About an hour later after watching some content I put it back on a blank input and either the clouding was so faint that I couldn't spot it again or it's just not there.
Brandon

This should be reproduced by other XBR4 owners. The "disappearing cloud" issue.
post #555 of 11990 Old 08-26-2007, 01:59 AM

Quote:

Is there any, more specific or detailed way you can give me to go about finding an answer to this question? I'll be glad to help if I can, but even if there is no judder on those scenes I won't be able to truely know if the set is doing 5:5 pulldown, will I?

Brandon

The only way I can think of (since there are no 1080p/24 test discs) is that you look at the end credits of Bridge to Terabithia (an excellent movie by the way) with the PS3 set to both 1080p/24 and 1080p/60 and see if there is any difference.

Since we're all but sure that it won't take a 60Hz signal and do a reverse 3:2 compensation (I have no idea what the correct term is, but you get the idea ), if you see any difference, i.e., 1080p/24 appears smoother, then it is most likely doing a 5:5, if you see no difference, it's converting it to 1080p/60 first.

Sorry, not too scientific, but I think that should work.

thanks
gandalf
post #556 of 11990 Old 08-26-2007, 02:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by z'Alai View Post

Here is the cloud-factor on my television. .)

looks pretty good from here
post #557 of 11990 Old 08-26-2007, 04:01 AM

A few shots from ESPNHD in complete darkness with no flash.

The camera I'm using is the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi with kit lens.

post #558 of 11990 Old 08-26-2007, 06:18 AM

I was wondering if any of you Verizon FIOS users have the XBR4 yet?
I'm impatiently waiting for mine...and wonder how excellent the PQ will be. Especially the "SD"

P.S. Speed08--> Thanks for the nice shots! I love that camera.

John

post #559 of 11990 Old 08-26-2007, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:

And yes, there is a flickering bar on the top edge when I watched the Daily Show this way. So far, I use "Full Pixel" for 1:1 mapping on the Blu-ray player and DVD input, and on my Cable Box input I've got it set to "normal." Most of the time when viewing TV shows you're not missing much and on some channels there was the possibility of the flickering at the edge. However it wasn't a distraction for me. I actually didn't notice it til halfway through the show.
Brandon

The flickering razor line is common element on all Sharps that do dot-by-dot 1:1 and it lets you know when the panel is not receiving true HD feeds which is one of the reasons major broadcast will frame their SD content - like GMA, Today Show, ESPN. Covered in the Sharp manual and suggest changing view modes (if it's annoying)since if one tries to menu it out it will adversely impact true HD feeds. This is just one of the things we live with while HD maturates in combined broadcasts where SD must be used or in some cases may be faked with rerun material or daytime. Not all HD Channels broadcasts 24/7 HD - especially the locals.

I've never witnessed the flickering line during true HD broadcasts or on HD or BD content - never. Sony had a previous history of not having 1:1 and 2-5% overscan would hide it but you'd lose a portion of viewing content so this will be a new element brought in by 1:1 periodically that we live with or we change the view mode during those times. HD broadcasting has years to go to truly mature but damn 1:1 is HT heaven when it's fed correctly - no better way to go. Thus the flickering line is not a flaw of the panel but instead an intermittent reminder that broadcasters need to catch up with the panel technology as we transition away from SD world of Turdvision. Good Luck!

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #560 of 11990 Old 08-26-2007, 06:43 AM

Quote:

• I'm running HD Cable from a Motorola 3416 STB, and the HD feeds from HBO and ESPN have been excellent, but I haven't spent too much time on that content. The SD feeds have only had marginal improvement to my eyes so far. Comedy Central gets a lot of airplay in my living room and it was pretty horrible on my previous set, and there seems to be slightly less artifacting on the new XBR4, which may be more impressive when you consider the picture is 14" larger from my previous TV. I haven't been able to watch any HD Sports on the display yet, which I think is my last, biggest, concern. When watching my two favorite sports (Football on network channels and Boxing on HBO) there has always been some macroblocking on certain channels. Fox is usually pretty good, and NBC is usually pretty bad with football. I'm anxious to see how the Motionflow impacts this, if at all. Hopefully this weekend I can update that.

• I haven't used game mode at all, and there has been no noticeable lag at all. For me, lag always set in when playing a baseball game. The pitching meter is based on timing and it has to be very precise. I have yet to turn game mode on, and I've been able to play the game without problem. The Motion Enhancer set to high appeared to affect the performance of the game, but the problem is I couldn't tell if it was for better or worse. I'll play with that more later and give some impressions.

Brandon

killer review Brandon, thanks. i love when members have the HQV disks and report their findings. congrats on your new TV.

i think what i must've seen at the store was Motion Enhancer on High and Cinemotion on "Auto1" then, because the effect was "cool" and very noticeable, but not sure exactly how beneficial it would be. Please report back on what does it do your twitch games (like say Madden?) and what it does it do for HD football?

when you say "some difference" with Motion Enhancer properly set to "Auto2" could you quantify that a bit more? again, what does this setting do your twitch games and HD football?

you should've gotten to see some Preseason football this weekend, *really* looking forward to your response on the effect of both settings.

the main reason i ask, is because i greatly prefer the slimmer design of the W3000 for my space, and 120hz MotionFlow/Motion Enhancer is the main differentiator of the XBR4. basically, i could probably fit a 52 W3000 or a 46 XBR4

like you said, the motionenhancer was cool eye candy on movies (that i'd prolly turn off after the novelty wore off), but i really need to know if it will significantly smooth out my games (both virtual and NFL) and my SD. yes, Comedy Central gets played a ton here too.

is motionenhancer really worth it? thanks a ton.
post #561 of 11990 Old 08-26-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

The flickering razor line is common element on all Sharps that do dot-by-dot 1:1 and it lets you know when the panel is not receiving true HD feeds which is one of the reasons major broadcast will frame their SD content - like GMA, Today Show, ESPN. Covered in the Sharp manual and suggest changing view modes (if it's annoying)since if one tries to menu it out it will adversely impact true HD feeds. This is just one of the things we live with while HD maturates in combined broadcasts where SD must be used or in some cases may be faked with rerun material or daytime. Not all HD Channels broadcasts 24/7 HD - especially the locals.

I've never witnessed the flickering line during true HD broadcasts or on HD or BD content - never. Sony had a previous history of not having 1:1 and 2-5% overscan so this will be a new element brought in by 1:1 periodically that we live with or we change the view mode during those times. HD broadcasting has years to go to truly mature but damn 1:1 is HT heaven when it's fed correctly - no better way to go. Good Luck!

can you not adjust the position of the HD image in 1:1 mode and "push" the flickering off screen? i could on my 2004 Aquos. i think this would be the ideal solution, even if it means getting some empty pixels on the opposite side.
post #562 of 11990 Old 08-26-2007, 07:11 AM

According to the KDS-XXA3000 user manual when CineMotion is in the Auto 2 mode "Motion Enhancer setting does not effect film-based content in the Auto 2 mode"
post #563 of 11990 Old 08-26-2007, 07:25 AM

Per a conversation with a sony support rep settings are:

Off - No change in source. No processing. 60Hz rate.
Standard - Motion noise reduction processing without frame insertion. 60Hz rate.
High - Motion noise reduction with frame insertion. 120Hz rate.
post #564 of 11990 Old 08-26-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletlex View Post

Per a conversation with a sony support rep settings are:

Off - No change in source. No processing. 60Hz rate.
Standard - Motion noise reduction processing without frame insertion. 60Hz rate.
High - Motion noise reduction with frame insertion. 120Hz rate.

I'm guessing that if you have it set to high, you need to have it auto 2? or are you saying that if in auto 2, and enhancer set to high, there is no frame insertion? I have my cable box set to auto 2 and high and it seems to works well, There is practically zero blur on the CNBC ticker, or during final credits.

Toshiba HD-XA2
Panasonic DMP-BD30K
Sony KDL-40XBR4
Elite VSX-92TXH (w/7.1)
post #565 of 11990 Old 08-26-2007, 08:19 AM

Here are are my cable settings, via component.

BL: 3
Pict: 64
Bright: 47
Color: 54
Hue: 0
Temp: Neutral
Sharp: 68
Noise Reduc: Low
MPEG: Off
DRC: Off

Black Corr: Off
ADV. CE: Low
Gamma: Low
Clr White: Off
C Space: Standard
Live Color: Off

White Balance

RG: -3
GG: -1
BG: -4
RB: -2
GB: -2
BB: +2

Detail Enhancer: Off
Edge Enhancer: high

Motion Enhancer: High
Cinemotion: Auto 2

Toshiba HD-XA2
Panasonic DMP-BD30K
Sony KDL-40XBR4
Elite VSX-92TXH (w/7.1)
post #566 of 11990 Old 08-26-2007, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed08 View Post

A few shots from ESPNHD in complete darkness with no flash.

The camera I'm using is the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi with kit lens.

Why does the bottom picture show geometry issues? The banners in the picture don't appear straight. I thought geometry issues were mostly tied to CRTs.

At first I thought it might be the camera lens but if so why would it add or remove extra detail. Look at the lower left hand side of the picture. What's up with line under the bottom left hand side of the ticker but not fully across the screen? I don't think that's a camera lens issue.
post #567 of 11990 Old 08-26-2007, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeegan View Post

Why does the bottom picture show geometry issues? The banners in the picture don't appear straight. I thought geometry issues were mostly tied to CRTs.

At first I thought it might be the camera lens but if so why would it add or remove extra detail. Look at the lower left hand side of the picture. What's up with line under the bottom left hand side of the ticker but not fully across the screen? I don't think that's a camera lens issue.

Most definitely a camera lens issue. I also have Canon DSLRs (20D and 30D). If those shots were taken with the 18-55 kit lens, they're actually quite good, as that lens is an inexpensive starter lens. Geometry issues are not uncommon with a lot of wide angle lenses, including some very expensive ones.

Jack
post #568 of 11990 Old 08-26-2007, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illdefined View Post

can you not adjust the position of the HD image in 1:1 mode and "push" the flickering off screen? i could on my 2004 Aquos. i think this would be the ideal solution, even if it means getting some empty pixels on the opposite side.

You cannot. You can only vertically/horizontally adjust the screen in "wide" and "wide zoom" modes, not "full pixel." Like Westa said, I've only noticed it on SD broadcasts, and not every one at that.

Typically when I'm watching HBO HD or something with a movie on it I switch back to full pixel mode, and when watching SD content or TV show reruns I go back to "normal" mode.

I'll try and watch some of the football games I recorded today and report back with some results of the Motion Enhancer stuff.

Brandon
post #569 of 11990 Old 08-26-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_View View Post

Brandon,

Is the "August 07, Mexico" vs "July 07, Mexico" have any thing to do with different peoples results here?

I remember reading something about that in another thread.

Gigital_View , I was thinking this as well. After reading all posts in this as well as all the previous XBR4/XBR5 posts it seems people are having more issues with sets manufactured in July as compared to August. Just a thought.
post #570 of 11990 Old 08-26-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:

I was wondering if any of you Verizon FIOS users have the XBR4 yet?
I'm impatiently waiting for mine...and wonder how excellent the PQ will be. Especially the "SD"

I'm curious about this as well. I'm currently using Comcast in the DC/Baltimore area, and looking for an excuse to make the switch.

My 46XBR4 should be here this afternoon, after Best Buy dropped the ball on delivering yesterday.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 52xbr4 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page