Official Sony XBR4/5 Owners Thread(NO PRICE TALK) - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 08:04 AM
ECH
Advanced Member
 
ECH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc21mt View Post

If it was beyond noticeable in the store, with a lot of light, i think you can come to your own conclusion in the dark...

I think we should start ignoring that guy, he's obviously fishing confirmation that the 71 is better. I've done my own research on the 81/71 and found that the contrast levels on a 8-bit panel can be over saturated with some BR movies. In some cases the object itself loses detail all together.
ECH is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 08:06 AM
Member
 
edwyun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post

Yes these sets still have mura however we don't know if it's as bad as the XBR2/3. My set has it but not this bad.

By mura, do you mean cloudiiness as seen on the XBR 2/3's?
edwyun is offline  
post #63 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 08:19 AM
Member
 
doc21mt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ECH,
What is your problem? I am simply answering a question that many people have asked: Impressions of the 71 vs. XBR4. My point with that comment was that there was zero question, even my fiance noted the difference and she is completely disinterested in tvs, that the sony had blacker blacks than the samsung. Take my observations for what it is worth. If it helps someone, great. If not, then that is okay too.

The problem here is that some people (probably yourself included) get stuck in a certain mind set and dont want to hear anything else about it. Believe me, i know the feeling because i too was set on purchasing a Samsung 71 but after seeing the in-store comparison, i had to go with the sony. Different strokes for different folks, but let's not start the negative comments over actually providing what i believe to be "useful information."
doc21mt is offline  
post #64 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 08:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Warder45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by meniscus View Post

Here's what I found with game mode on my 46XBR4; It IS necessary with some games, an example is playing the Minno No Golf 5 (Everybody's golf) japanese demo on the PS3. The golf dynamics require you to hit buttons at precise moments on a moving meter to get good, accurate shots. I could not time this correctly with motion flow and regular movie watching mode on. My timing is honed from my previous RPTV and I just couldn't get it right because there WAS noticable lag. Changed to game mode and I was back to hitting perfect shots. So for any game that requires precise button timing game mode is a must, for other games that have a more linear flow it might be up to the player.

Thanks for the info. This is exactly what I was looking for in regards to input lag. Now to wait and see if the 81 series is the same or not.
Warder45 is offline  
post #65 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 08:23 AM
Newbie
 
zmickz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
XBR4 still has mura issues but it seems that as the set stays on for a length of time that the clouds lessen in intensity, and I am not refering to the auto-dimming that is quite obvious when it happens. Is it possible that the screen heats up and lessens the mura or that Sony has incorporated some crazy technology to decrease the mura? Any other XBR4 owners seeing this?
zmickz1 is offline  
post #66 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 08:27 AM
Member
 
edwyun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
how long does the set have to be "on" to notice this? I'll definitely try to look for it tonight.
edwyun is offline  
post #67 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
bpmurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 3,953
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwyun View Post

By mura, do you mean cloudiiness as seen on the XBR 2/3's?

Correct, it seems that this is a problem across all brands. It just shows more on sets with better contrast ratios. I think having the deeper blacks surrounding it makes the mura "clouds" stand out.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XB1 l PS4 l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR
bpmurr is offline  
post #68 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
bpmurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 3,953
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwyun View Post

how long does the set have to be "on" to notice this? I'll definitely try to look for it tonight.

You're probably not going to notice it unless view the TV in a dark room with some content that has lots of black. I notice it starting up a game of Bioshock during the loading process. I've got one in the top right corner and then lesser spots around the set that rarely show up.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XB1 l PS4 l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR
bpmurr is offline  
post #69 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 08:32 AM
Senior Member
 
poiv3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have noticed some weird stuff with the clouds too. At first I saw them right away, after I turned the tv. Then I could not see them almost at all. I am still trying to figure out if they get less obvious after the tv's been on for a while, or it is just me getting used to them. One thing is clear for sure: my 46XBR4 has clouds and big ones. All but one pictures that were transfered from the old thread to the first page of this one are mine. In one of them clouds can be seen.
poiv3 is offline  
post #70 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 08:33 AM
ECH
Advanced Member
 
ECH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc21mt View Post

ECH,
What is your problem? I am simply answering a question that many people have asked: Impressions of the 71 vs. XBR4. My point with that comment was that there was zero question, even my fiance noted the difference and she is completely disinterested in tvs, that the sony had blacker blacks than the samsung. Take my observations for what it is worth. If it helps someone, great. If not, then that is okay too.

The problem here is that some people (probably yourself included) get stuck in a certain mind set and dont want to hear anything else about it. Believe me, i know the feeling because i too was set on purchasing a Samsung 71 but after seeing the in-store comparison, i had to go with the sony. Different strokes for different folks, but let's not start the negative comments over actually providing what i believe to be "useful information."

The problem here is the preconceived opinion. Thus the reason for me saying "seek confirmation". Instead of being a bit more honest it comes of as disingenuous in the question.
ECH is offline  
post #71 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 08:37 AM
Member
 
doc21mt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where in any of my posts does it hint at me "fishing" for confirmation??? I am reaching my own conclusions and sharing them with the forum. Period.

All i can say is that "no good deed goes unpunished." Beyond that...i dont know what else to say.
doc21mt is offline  
post #72 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 08:37 AM
ECH
Advanced Member
 
ECH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiv3 View Post

I have noticed some weird stuff with the clouds too. At first I saw them right away, after I turned the tv. Then I could not see them almost at all. I am still trying to figure out if they get less obvious after the tv's been on for a while, or it is just me getting used to them. One thing is clear for sure: my 46XBR4 has clouds and big ones. All but one pictures that were transfered from the old thread to the first page of this one are mine. In one of them clouds can be seen.

Could you provide some pics? Or did I miss it?
ECH is offline  
post #73 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 08:40 AM
Member
 
Zerox_no1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mura and Clouds? Bye bye, Sony!
Zerox_no1 is offline  
post #74 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Newbie
 
zmickz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i was wondering the same thing, are my eyes just getting used to them, but I am convinced that after the set has been on for about 45 minutes the mura is less, very bizzare, and yes i agree i have always been tring to increase black levels to reduce mura but just the opposite seems true if you kick up the brightness level the rest of the screen kind of blends in with the clouds and they are not as obvious but of course now when you get to a dark scene, "it isn't"

PS - on my 2 previous XBR2's the mura stayed constant no matter how long
set was on.
zmickz1 is offline  
post #75 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 08:44 AM
Member
 
edwyun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well the first pic on the first page of this thread does show some cloudiness in spots (other pics are a bit harder to tell). However, isn't this more of a brightness contrast issue? I mean, I tried some settings posted on this forum - colors looked great but white seemed a bit too bright. You can prolly turn the settings down a bit or use the "black corrector"? When I tried the latter while fiddling with my settings, I was amazed at the levels of black the XBR produced in a dark room. Didn't notice any clouding then but I'll certainly look for them tonight.
edwyun is offline  
post #76 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 08:47 AM
Member
 
RichardBrackin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Could someone please measure the width of the stand of their 40" XBR4?

Without going into boring details, the base of the stand I need cannot be wider than 40.25" without sawing away some floor moulding. I'm thinking I could get away with a 32 to 39 inch wide tv stand -- so long as the base of the 40" XBR4 will fit on it.

For reference, I'm looking at the following two stands:
Techcraft Monaco Series PTV32B stand.
Sanus European Series EFAV-II stand.
RichardBrackin is offline  
post #77 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 08:47 AM
Newbie
 
zmickz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sadly, starting to feel the same as Zerox_no1.
zmickz1 is offline  
post #78 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 08:54 AM
Member
 
edwyun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBrackin View Post

Could someone please measure the width of the stand of their 40" XBR4?

You can get the schematic/dimensions from here...

40"

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...DL40XBR4&LOC=3

46"

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...DL46XBR4&LOC=3
edwyun is offline  
post #79 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 08:55 AM
Senior Member
 
MordredKLB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc21mt View Post

Where in any of my posts does it hint at me "fishing" for confirmation??? I am reaching my own conclusions and sharing them with the forum. Period.

All i can say is that "no good deed goes unpunished." Beyond that...i dont know what else to say.

I think you're getting upset over nothing doc. ECH's "ignore this guy" post appeared to be referring to Broc27 (who wanted more confirmation) not you, who was attempting to provide the confirmation. It just looked like he was talking about you because he quoted your post.
MordredKLB is offline  
post #80 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 09:01 AM
Member
 
doc21mt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My only beef is that ECH's attitude is the kind that diminishes the utility of this site. People will refrain from posting their experiences for fear of some judgmental prick striking them down for no good reason. Everyone here can provide pieces of the puzzle so that we may all make the best informed decisions. That is all.
doc21mt is offline  
post #81 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 09:06 AM
Senior Member
 
poiv3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Some clouds can be seen in this one as well

poiv3 is offline  
post #82 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darkninja67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
poiv3, that set is unacceptable, well at least to me it is. I cannot believe Sony did not get their act together.
darkninja67 is offline  
post #83 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 09:22 AM
ECH
Advanced Member
 
ECH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordredKLB View Post

I think you're getting upset over nothing doc. ECH's "ignore this guy" post appeared to be referring to Broc27 (who wanted more confirmation) not you, who was attempting to provide the confirmation. It just looked like he was talking about you because he quoted your post.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc21mt View Post

My only beef is that ECH's attitude is the kind that diminishes the utility of this site. People will refrain from posting their experiences for fear of some judgmental prick striking them down for no good reason. Everyone here can provide pieces of the puzzle so that we may all make the best informed decisions. That is all.

Although I don't agree with your observation you are obviously not helping the situation with your continued posts that derail the thread. If you have a problem with me, feel free to PM me about it. However, as it stands now the only person diminishing the utility of this thread is you. As someone else already made it clear what my post was about.


Quote:
Originally Posted by poiv3 View Post

Some clouds can be seen in this one as well


thanks for the post
ECH is offline  
post #84 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 09:29 AM
Senior Member
 
poiv3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's SD DVD upscaled by SONY BD Player



And that's bd played by the same sony:

poiv3 is offline  
post #85 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 09:35 AM
Member
 
edwyun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiv3 View Post


That's SD DVD upscaled by SONY BD Player

And that's bd played by the same sony:

I don't see much wrong with those pics. Do you?
edwyun is offline  
post #86 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Senior Member
 
poiv3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwyun View Post

I don't see much wrong with those pics. Do you?

No, these last two pics are not to show the clouds but just to give an idea what the sd and hd material look like on this set. Clouds can not be seen here.
poiv3 is offline  
post #87 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Member
 
Broc27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECH View Post

I think we should start ignoring that guy, he's obviously fishing confirmation that the 71 is better. I've done my own research on the 81/71 and found that the contrast levels on a 8-bit panel can be over saturated with some BR movies. In some cases the object itself loses detail all together.

Oh, so you were talking about me?

I can assure you that I am not fishing confirmation; I am really just trying to compare two models that I am genuinely interested in. I just bought a 60hz Sammy that is good but I can't resist the urge for a 120hz after having seen the XBR4 in action at a store. I just want a thing that only a owner can provide: an opinion and possibly a picture of what a completely black screen in a completely black room looks like to compare this series with the 71.

Opinions about models compared in stores are not as good of course and you know it. I hear them and take note but still would like an opinion from someone who brought the model home.

As of now, I am leaning toward the XBR4 since Sony's processing seems to deliver sharper images. I have no bias toward Samsung as of now, just thinking both sets have their strenghts and weaknesses compared to each other.

So please don't ask people to ignore me, especially when you misinterpret my sayings. I will go on with a purchase in the next week and there are good chances this purchase will be a XBR4; I will report here with pictures if that happens. I think I'm not a bad forum member and do not deserve having people putting me in their ignore list.
Broc27 is offline  
post #88 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 09:54 AM
Senior Member
 
HD-Gaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post

What kind of artifacts were you seeing? I played tonight in custom mode with motion flow turned on and didn't notice anything. There is screen tearing but that is part of the demo build that should not be in the final release.



while playing on standard mode, I thought I was seeing artifacts moving in the grass/ground right at the start of the demo, before the rope sequence

PSN: Unbreakable21
XBL: xgho5tx
HD-Gaming is offline  
post #89 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 10:00 AM
Member
 
RichardBrackin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwyun View Post

You can get the schematic/dimensions from here...

40"

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...DL40XBR4&LOC=3

46"

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...DL46XBR4&LOC=3

Fabulous links!!
Thank you very, very much.
RichardBrackin is offline  
post #90 of 11990 Old 08-21-2007, 10:00 AM
Senior Member
 
ny888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got delivery of my 52XBR4. Simple Spectacular !! So far have not seen any clouding but then again the only source I have is Comcast Cable and my eyes ain't what they used to be.

Have no way of downloading pics to my laptop right now but will post later when I can.

Not sure how I can take good pictures, flash keeps firing. If I turn flash off, pics are not as sharp.
ny888 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 52xbr4 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off