Official Sony XBR4/5 Owners Thread(NO PRICE TALK) - Page 400 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11971 of 11990 Old 01-26-2013, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 957
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresonyxbr View Post

I didn't think it was a good deal either. I was going to haggle for KDL-55HX850. I am just not sure if they take away the old TV or not.
I will give it a try today and see what they say. Will post it here. Thanks

Let us know what you wind up with. And BTW, if it were me I would not turn up my nose at a swap for a refurb 52XBR4 if it's still an option; but if they want you to kick in some cash to boot I would try to haggle on the amount and would insist on a warranty. My replacement 46XBR5 last August came with a 2-year warranty and was a clean one-for-one swap at no cost to me.
chi_guy50 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11972 of 11990 Old 01-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Newbie
 
nomoresonyxbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post

Let us know what you wind up with. And BTW, if it were me I would not turn up my nose at a swap for a refurb 52XBR4 if it's still an option; but if they want you to kick in some cash to boot I would try to haggle on the amount and would insist on a warranty. My replacement 46XBR5 last August came with a 2-year warranty and was a clean one-for-one swap at no cost to me.

I called Sony back today. They were not willing to swap a refurb 52XBR4 for free, I would have taken that option. At this asked them for a better price and option for the replacement. Will keep you posted how it goes. Have to talk to them again tomorrow.
nomoresonyxbr is offline  
post #11973 of 11990 Old 01-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
scottlindner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 709
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
WTF? They will not give you a used version of the same bloody TV you bought? Are you under extended warranty or just hoping they'll deal with a broken set?
scottlindner is offline  
post #11974 of 11990 Old 01-30-2013, 12:14 PM
Newbie
 
nomoresonyxbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No they wont give me the same tv, They offered me the old TV for 600$ with just 90 day warranty. I don't have extended warranty. This is the reply from the Sonylistens


The offers that were made to you are the best offers that we can make at this time. We do not currently have any HX950 or HX850 models that we can offer to customers.

Thank you,

Kevin Krause (C3I6)
Social Media Advanced Resolution Team
Post Sales Support and Promotions
Sony Electronics Inc.
nomoresonyxbr is offline  
post #11975 of 11990 Old 01-31-2013, 08:06 PM
Newbie
 
nomoresonyxbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony listens emailed me back today offering to extend the warranty on Refurb KDL52XBR4 for 1 year instead of original 90 days. I don't know if they will insist on $600 or not. What do you think ?
nomoresonyxbr is offline  
post #11976 of 11990 Old 01-31-2013, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 957
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresonyxbr View Post

Sony listens emailed me back today offering to extend the warranty on Refurb KDL52XBR4 for 1 year instead of original 90 days. I don't know if they will insist on $600 or not. What do you think ?

Sounds like you're making progress. If you are not covered by any extended warranty on your original set, you probably don't have much leverage other than customer loyalty. I don't imagine you would be happy with any other substitute less than the 55HX850, so I would jump on the refurb if I were you. But if they want you to kick in more than a token sum I would press for a 2-year warranty. That's what they gave me on my refurb 46XBR5, and it was standard for those of us who qualified for the extended warranty program due to the panel anomalies. As you have learned, there is some flexibility in what they can offer you, depending on who you're negotiating with. A 2-year warranty gives you more peace of mind and makes the set more salable should you decide to ditch it for something newer.
chi_guy50 is offline  
post #11977 of 11990 Old 01-31-2013, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
scottlindner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 709
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post

..., you probably don't have much leverage other than customer loyalty. .

Oh man.. that's a good one. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. smile.gif
scottlindner is offline  
post #11978 of 11990 Old 02-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Newbie
 
nomoresonyxbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure if I am going to be loyal anymore. Most of the stores around here have stopped carrying Sony, they are pushing hard with Samsungs. I will try to get the 2 year warranty if they ask me to cough up the $$$, else might be better off getting a newer one on my own. The current TV seems to work after the screen clears up. Just let it die and then get a new one, just wont be sony
nomoresonyxbr is offline  
post #11979 of 11990 Old 02-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 957
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresonyxbr View Post

Not sure if I am going to be loyal anymore. Most of the stores around here have stopped carrying Sony, they are pushing hard with Samsungs. I will try to get the 2 year warranty if they ask me to cough up the $$$, else might be better off getting a newer one on my own. The current TV seems to work after the screen clears up. Just let it die and then get a new one, just wont be sony

What you do about your TV is a judgment call on your part. But just to be clear: as I understand it your current set is 5 years old and out of warranty; the original warranty period was 18 months and the warranty on the replacement panel you got in 2008 was presumably not longer than that. Even if you qualified for the extended warranty coverage due to panel anomalies (and from your previous posts it is not clear to me that you do qualify), AFAIK that warranty period expired as of November 2012. In this situation, anything Sony does to mitigate your problem is gravy. In the meantime, aside from occasional glitches, you have been enjoying (and continue to enjoy) top-of-the-line CCFL picture quality which IMHO exceeds any other LCD on the market to date other than Sony's own follow-on XBR7 and the XBR8 and HX929/950 LED's.

If, on the other hand, you somehow managed to qualify for the extended warranty and got your claim in before the expiration date, then there is no reason why Sony should hesitate to provide you with a replacement 52XBR4 w/2-year warranty or equivalent set at no cost to you.

If you think you can find a product from another manufacturer that better suits your needs, then go for it. But I would caution you against expecting a superior product or improved reliability over Sony's XBR line at anywhere near the (already very high) price.
chi_guy50 is offline  
post #11980 of 11990 Old 03-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Member
 
stuckin96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
My 46" XBR4 is coming up on 5 years now. Until recently it had been the only TV set in our home since 2008. B/c its in a window filled family room that gets incredibly bright during the day, we use the VIVID picture mode with the brightness increased even more than the default setting (with Contrast set to 100 and Back-light 10). In the late-afternoon & evenings with the ceiling lights on we use a modified STANDARD mode (toned down) and for movies either in the dark or with a little lamp on in the corner we use a CUSTOM mode I fine tuned to get the darkest blacks out of the set (Back-light on lowest setting, power saving mode ON, and a few other tricks).

Our main sources are OTA channels, BD/DVD movies and content streamed via Boxee (Netflix, internet channels, etc). When my kids watch their Disney BD's/DVD's or streamed cartoons during the day the picture is out of this world. B/c the room gets so bloody bright, VIVID is literally the only setting we can use during the day. Although it is not optimal/accurate (saturated reds, blue-ish whites, etc), in this environment it looks stunning. To this day when we have guests over and they see HD golf OTA or football on the XBR4 they marvel at how vibrant the picture looks. We had neighbours over a few weeks ago when our sons were playing in the family room with Cars 2 BD on for background entertainment, and from where we were sitting in the kitchen (open concept) the couple both asked us "why" the picture looked so good? The wife then asked her hubby "how come it doesn't look like that at home?" I explained to them that the picture settings (colour, contrast, brightness) were practically maxed out and that it wouldn't watch it like that in the evening, but still for that moment in that environment is looked killer.

Having said that, the black levels never satisfied me all these years when watching movies with low/no lighting. I knew it was a trade off. We needed an LCD in that room and a plasma would have died trying to compete with the daytime brightness. Last Christmas (2012) I finished my basement and finally bought a big, bad plasma (GT50) and resurrected my old home theater system. The new Panasonic plasma is a marvel in many ways, but especially in the black level department (naturally). Movies downstairs now look the way I had hoped and envisioned all these years. The picture has a very cinematic quality to it, plus my analog LD's have never looked better - the XBR was never able to process the signal well (LD's looked horrible on the Sony). But as great as the new plasma is, a funny thing has happened: I'm actually appreciating the quality and capabilities of my old XBR4 even MORE now. After ample comparisons with source material it is clear (pun) that the Sony has a far sharper picture; obvious to anyone not just me. I've played with settings on the GT50 and have the inputs and picture modes pretty much set to how I like them, and without a doubt the picture is noticeably softer than the XBR4's. BD content is about the closest the GT50 will get in terms of sharpness but putting the same disc on upstairs is like putting eye glasses on for the first time. The plasma is also a much dimmer image, which is expected, but even after I've tweaked it's colour and brightness/contrast setting for OTA hockey - which I view with all the lights on in the basement - I can't get the picture to "jump out" like it does upstairs on the XBR4's modified STANDARD picture setting. Plus the image is much softer. And its not just for OTA - I notice these disparities just as much when using Netflix on both sets.

Its quite remarkable how I now perceive my XBR4's picture as being better than its ever been before. Instead of noticing the LCD's contrast limitations I am now appreciating how sharp the picture quality is smile.gif The new plasma may reign supreme in the basement, but my XBR4 is and always will be the undisputed champion of the main floor family room. It may be a bit of a dinosaur these days in terms of weight and girth, but I love my Sony XBR4 more than I did 5 years ago. And I don't know about anyone else but I'd put this XBR4 up against any LED set available - LED was never an option for me downstairs, even though I wanted to get the biggest size, because the back lighting they use appears so unnatural and artificial to me (way too blue). If my main floor Sony ever died I'd sooner replace it with a plasma than an LED panel. Really can't get accustomed to what's going on with those pictures.

Long live the XBR4.
stuckin96 is offline  
post #11981 of 11990 Old 08-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Newbie
 
djdevvydev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all -

I hope this thread is stilll alive enough that I might be able to get some help from the more experienced owners. I recently was given a 46XBR4 with an odd problem. I had guessed it was the tab bond problem, which is why I took the TV, but it's not. It's something else. Would love any ideas on how I might be able to repair.

The TV flickers. The whole screen, on any input, flickers intermittently, as if the backlight is going on and off. At first this happened only after minutes or hours, but lately it happens immediately after turning on the set. Doesn't matter whether I use cable or HDMI inputs. But here's the weird thing: whenever the "info banner" is displayed - that is, the translucent graphic at the top of the screen that shows channel info - the flicker stops! That's right, it looks *perfect* whenever the info banner is on. Same when I use the "Picture And Picture" function: I can watch two channels *perfectly* ... but I can't watch one!

So. I'm thinking this isn't the backlight after all, it's a logic board issue of some sort ... maybe?

Any and all thoughts greatly appreciated!

DJD
djdevvydev is offline  
post #11982 of 11990 Old 08-25-2013, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
scottlindner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 709
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdevvydev View Post

Hi all -

I hope this thread is stilll alive enough that I might be able to get some help from the more experienced owners. I recently was given a 46XBR4 with an odd problem. I had guessed it was the tab bond problem, which is why I took the TV, but it's not. It's something else. Would love any ideas on how I might be able to repair.

The TV flickers. The whole screen, on any input, flickers intermittently, as if the backlight is going on and off. At first this happened only after minutes or hours, but lately it happens immediately after turning on the set. Doesn't matter whether I use cable or HDMI inputs. But here's the weird thing: whenever the "info banner" is displayed - that is, the translucent graphic at the top of the screen that shows channel info - the flicker stops! That's right, it looks *perfect* whenever the info banner is on. Same when I use the "Picture And Picture" function: I can watch two channels *perfectly* ... but I can't watch one!

So. I'm thinking this isn't the backlight after all, it's a logic board issue of some sort ... maybe?

Any and all thoughts greatly appreciated!

DJD

I don't have the detailed experience of the parts of these sets. I concur with your logic though. There is something wrong in the signals. If you have the stomach for it, I would open it up and pull everything apart, blow out all of the dust, clean up the contacts and connections, and put it all back together.

I can't tell you how many times in my life I have taken apart something that didn't work, cleaned it up, and put it all back together and it worked perfectly for a long time after that.

Good luck and welcome to the XBR4 club. When you get it working hit up some of the earlier posts in this thread regarding calibration. The defaults on these set are horrible for most content. Also, if you use a PS3 I had troubles with black crush because either the Sony PS3, the Sony XB4 or the combination of the two cannot properly negotiate the Auto settings for the RGB color space.
scottlindner is offline  
post #11983 of 11990 Old 09-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Member
 
powrslave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will I be able to use the bravia smart stick with my KDL-40XBR4?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/13/sony-bravia-smart-stick-mhl-google-tv/



Can I use the UWA-BR100 USB with my TV?



powrslave is offline  
post #11984 of 11990 Old 09-15-2013, 09:44 PM
Member
 
stflush's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a family member's 46XBR4 that they just replaced due to picture issues on the right hand side of the set. Obviously I found this thread and read up on the known issues and also the fact that the extended warranty is now over. Our initial thought was to try and sell it as is. Is there any value in this thing? Or has anyone had luck contacting Sony even after the extended warranty period? Any advise appreciated. Thanks.
stflush is offline  
post #11985 of 11990 Old 09-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Member
 
powrslave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stflush View Post

I have a family member's 46XBR4 that they just replaced due to picture issues on the right hand side of the set. Obviously I found this thread and read up on the known issues and also the fact that the extended warranty is now over. Our initial thought was to try and sell it as is. Is there any value in this thing? Or has anyone had luck contacting Sony even after the extended warranty period? Any advise appreciated. Thanks.

You haven't really explained the actual problems but you can check out youtube videos and ebay usually has some parts.


http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=+xbr4+repair
powrslave is offline  
post #11986 of 11990 Old 10-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
slow ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm having the same issue. My LCD panel needs to be replaced but they stopped making them. Sony offered me 15 % off a new tv or a totally refurbished kdl xbr46 for $579.00. Any advice on what option to choose.
slow ride is offline  
post #11987 of 11990 Old 11-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Newbie
 
technobot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

My Sony KDL-52XBR4, after many years of great operation, is going downhill.

MFR date October 2007. Serial 8124347 other number 3-218-453-01.

 

First, I had a bad HDMI cable. The metal on the end of the cable fell off.  This has damaged HDMI2 input.  HDMI1 and HDMI3 work fine.  I think I can replace the HDMI board with HW2-board.

 

Second, the screen started displaying negative images. At first it was a few times per day.  Now it is every 15 minutes or so.  The negative image will appear, last for 1 to 10 minutes, then the picture comes back again.   After reading the net, I think the problem is either dust/grime on a cable into the TCON board, or the TCON board. 

 

Do replacing these two boards sound reasonable?

 

I have attached a picture of the screen negative image.

 

technobot is offline  
post #11988 of 11990 Old 11-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Mr. Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I called the 239-245-6475 Sony Replacements number to discuss options for my failing 46XBR4 that was bought in Nov 2007.
I asked about replacing it with a 55W900A (best current non-4K TV).

My options given were:
Free replacement 46XBR4 (refurbished obviously)
or
$1,500 + tax for replacement with 55W900A

We decided on the new TV but I called them back and offered $1,400 + tax which they accepted.
They sent it to a delivery company who picked up my old TV and hooked up the new one.
The process took about 1.5 weeks

I'm still working on the settings on the new one, The biggest differences are the black colors are true black with the new set. I do think that the old one was slightly sharper but that could be from the smaller size (46 then, now 55).

I would recommend the Sony Replacements service to those that have problems with their XBR4/5.
Mr. Mojo is offline  
post #11989 of 11990 Old 11-27-2013, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 957
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow ride View Post

I'm having the same issue. My LCD panel needs to be replaced but they stopped making them. Sony offered me 15 % off a new tv or a totally refurbished kdl xbr46 for $579.00. Any advice on what option to choose.

I presume that you have already resolved your situation by now. But if not--and for any others in a similar predicament--as of today you can still buy an "open box" KDL-46HX729 from Audio & Video Center (trustworthy, authorized Sony retailer) on Amazon for just under $600 shipped. I purchased one from them earlier this year to replace my KDL-32XBR4 and have been extremely pleased. The set they sent me was virtually new, with zero panel hours and only six boots, and is backed by the full Sony new set warranty. The HX729 was a 2011 year model and is virtually identical to the 2011 top-of-the-line HX929 (XBR) model less the full array backlighting. (I also have a 55HX929, which I also got as a "new, open-box" purchase for $1800 to replace my 46XBR5, and it is fantastic.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo View Post

I called the 239-245-6475 Sony Replacements number to discuss options for my failing 46XBR4 that was bought in Nov 2007.
I asked about replacing it with a 55W900A (best current non-4K TV).

My options given were:
Free replacement 46XBR4 (refurbished obviously)
or
$1,500 + tax for replacement with 55W900A

We decided on the new TV but I called them back and offered $1,400 + tax which they accepted.
They sent it to a delivery company who picked up my old TV and hooked up the new one.
The process took about 1.5 weeks

I'm still working on the settings on the new one, The biggest differences are the black colors are true black with the new set. I do think that the old one was slightly sharper but that could be from the smaller size (46 then, now 55).

I would recommend the Sony Replacements service to those that have problems with their XBR4/5.

Congratulations and enjoy your new set!
chi_guy50 is offline  
post #11990 of 11990 Old 11-28-2013, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 957
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post

I presume that you have already resolved your situation by now. But if not--and for any others in a similar predicament--as of today you can still buy an "open box" KDL-46HX729 from Audio & Video Center (trustworthy, authorized Sony retailer) on Amazon for just under $600 shipped. I purchased one from them earlier this year to replace my KDL-32XBR4 and have been extremely pleased. The set they sent me was virtually new, with zero panel hours and only six boots, and is backed by the full Sony new set warranty. The HX729 was a 2011 year model and is virtually identical to the 2011 top-of-the-line HX929 (XBR) model less the full array backlighting. (I also have a 55HX929, which I also got as a "new, open-box" purchase for $1800 to replace my 46XBR5, and it is fantastic.)

UPDATE: I see that the last "open box" KDL-46HX729 from Video & Audio Center on Amazon has finally been sold. Someone presumably got a fabulous deal.
chi_guy50 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 52xbr4 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off