Official Sony XBR4/5 Owners Thread(NO PRICE TALK) - Page 401 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #12001 of 12003 Old 03-05-2015, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any place to download the firmware other than Sony? I think my dad fried his plugging in a chromecast today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12002 of 12003 Old 07-24-2015, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Used Prices Puzzle

Hello fellow KDLXBR owners.

I have had my KDL52XBR5 since 2008 and it still works great. I recently looked into selling it and was shocked at the demand and prices these sets are fetching for a 7 year old TV. Is it just me or is this unusual?

I've seen these snapped right up at $600 or so with no sitting time. I figured with the advancement in panel tech and dropping prices for TVs in general, that the going price for it would be a lot less. Does this model have some sort of cultish following or something?

I also noticed far less demand and sales prices for the proceeding models, like the KDLXBR6+ (they did away with the floating glass design). Perhaps the design and look has something to do with it? I must admit that it is a great looking TV just sitting there powered off. I've not see a better looking design since. I've since upgraded to 4k Samsung TVs and have no real need for it. I do have a sort of nostalgic attachment to it and seeing this odd bit of demand for it makes me want to hold onto it for myself, even though that makes no logical sense.
post #12003 of 12003 Old Today, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the 40 inch XBR4 and mine is going strong still too! The only thing I've noticed is a bit of a dark/reddish trail that rears it's head during hockey games at times. Messing with picture settings will generally alleviate it for the most part.

Regarding the value - I had a tech in my house when they had a recall on one of the components that could start a fire. He took the tv apart and did the test while talking about the quality of this particular model the whole time. He said the Standard Def converter in this TV is crazy high quality and expensive - and TV makers don't use the same converter any more as there really is no need - I think ours is the last model to use it. I have compared watching laserdiscs on this TV vs a newer model and the older one wins hands down to my eyes. This is all what the tech told me so I'm passing the info on second hand - but maybe that offers some insight to the value. I wasn't aware they were fetching good coin still. Good to hear. It's a great looking set and I hope mine lasts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet00 View Post
Hello fellow KDLXBR owners.

I have had my KDL52XBR5 since 2008 and it still works great. I recently looked into selling it and was shocked at the demand and prices these sets are fetching for a 7 year old TV. Is it just me or is this unusual?

I've seen these snapped right up at $600 or so with no sitting time. I figured with the advancement in panel tech and dropping prices for TVs in general, that the going price for it would be a lot less. Does this model have some sort of cultish following or something?

I also noticed far less demand and sales prices for the proceeding models, like the KDLXBR6+ (they did away with the floating glass design). Perhaps the design and look has something to do with it? I must admit that it is a great looking TV just sitting there powered off. I've not see a better looking design since. I've since upgraded to 4k Samsung TVs and have no real need for it. I do have a sort of nostalgic attachment to it and seeing this odd bit of demand for it makes me want to hold onto it for myself, even though that makes no logical sense.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 52xbr4 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page