AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex the Great View Post

Joe,

Based on what I've seen in XBR4 thread it is a very good chance that 120 Hz is only available at High setting, and Medium and Low are just 60 Hz settings with different processing improvements (TBD). And you know, if this will be confirmed I wouldn't be surprised at all, because schematically Sammy 71 is just a small step from 61/65 models - the same VP and most likely panel.

I don't think that these sets do 120hz exactly, I don't know what the tv does to achieve its effect with cinemotion and automotion enabled, but I can tell you that the 71 or 81 does not display a 120hz. A computer program displayed to me that the max refresh rate on the 71 and 81 is 60hz, and is able to do 24hz and 30hz

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2007, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombaker View Post

How are you defining LCD HAZE?

I cannot believe I'm being asked to define "haze" one of the most obvious deficiencies of LCD - more visible depending on room lighting and time of the day and content being displayed.

Stand back look up at the wall at CC or BB and virtually every LCD will have a haze or ever so slightly fog to it. BTW even lower level plasma's and CRT DV's will have a haze. Not all CRT's had reference blacks. Draw your eyes to the 71 series or the XBR4 or 81 series if they have one and it's not observable. The Haze can be very light but none the less annoying.

If you've ever viewed a Sony Ruby or an SXRD in the sweet spot you'll see
ZERO haze. Understand I have the privilege of owning four LCD's and the 57" would put most on this forum to shame as the D90 has none of the flaws posted on this forum that arrived since the D62/92 from K2. It's sole deficiency is the lower black levels and haze and often is not fully observable.

Next time your at a store look up at the Kuro, the XBR4, and the 71 and perhaps the 5084 and they are black and absent haze as the feed rotates.

Rich Harkness is one of the top reviewers on the forum and favors PDP and whenever he has reviewed Sharps or LCD's in general he has questioned that same Haze issue - it's ever so slight fog overlapping. Ever view a wide screen movie and look at the black bars? They are not truly black on nearly all LCD's they are gray/black with that haze. It's a trade-off that I easily live with for what it does right in my viewing conditions no plasma could survive and the importance of getting that capability and the full blacks and adsence of haze on the panel means I get the full package provided there's no crush and shadow details remain within those blacks. That's my Holy Grail along with a bigger panel!

From UltimateAV in review of the Toshiba LCD - while they gave it good reviews they noted this shortfall:
"Combined with the low-ish light output and the occasional haze from LCD's inherently poor blacks and I was reminded of the display technology more often than I wanted to be during movie and TV viewing."

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
Old 08-27-2007, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokedog5583 View Post

Hello all! I have been browsing this site for quite a while. And studying up on LCD TVs. And long story short. Me and my wife went out to CCity Yesterday and brought the 4071. Wow! Great TV. I was weary about the gloss at first (cause our apt has sky lights). But you know. It really isn't as nearly as bad as people make it seem... Its great and I haven't had any problems wit it at all. I even tried to hook up my Xbox 360 Premium (without the HDMI port). And I set the setting on 1080p. And it works through component video. WOW! That made me very excited. Anyways the TV is still fresh and we just got the Comcast HD box hooked up. But I don't have my digi cam on me. But I will post pics up if you like. Just let me know. Although if you want me to it'll be a few hours before I can. Holla

Congrats on the 71. Enjoy it. If you have Gears of War can you post some pics of it in action please? Thanks/
Old 08-27-2007, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
If you live in Long Island (NY) they just got the 4671 up on display at CC in Massapequa.
Also,FWIW, the guy in PC Richard (West Babylon) claims that the computer shows (50) 4671fx to be recd by ~ 9/10/07, and more interestingly ...(5) 4681 were to be recd but "frozen", and even more interesting their computer showed a 4681tx for $10K with no information. They have no showing of the 40in models.

all is good....LNT4671 1005/1001 SQ01 w/old PS3 80G,Oppo 83 & 2400ES into Mirage OS3FS
Old 08-27-2007, 07:56 PM

I currently have a Samsung 32" direct view CRT which I love very much. However, I just invested in a 5.1 system for my house and am looking into getting a bigger TV. I have been reading this thread for a couple months now and really want to get this TV. The only thing is I've never sween it in person yet. I have seen the 65 series. My question is, is it really worth putting down a couple hundred more to get the 71 instead of getting the 65? They both seem to have the same features with the only difference being the refresh rate.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Saw my first 71 series today. It was playing POTC on BR. I have seen this movie about 50 times but after seeing it on the 71 series it looked like a completely different movie. My jaw dropped. The auto motion plus does something, i don't know exactly what, but it looked like the camera was attached to my forehead. The black border was pitch black, couldn't distinguish from the bezel. Had a little black crush but i'm sure it wasn't calibrated yet. Was getting the Sony A3000 but i may spend the extra 1500 and get the 5271 instead.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:49 PM

How close would the calibration settings on a 65 be to the 71? I'll be bringing mine home on wednesday and want to get it set up decently.

Blu-ray supporter
PSN: Dragngt
Old 08-27-2007, 11:17 PM

Her are pics. I have not yet calibrated the tv or anything like that. And I had it on Vivid with 120hz on low setting.

Gears of war @ 1080p via Xbox 360 component cables
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

"Cars" on Starz HD On Demand via Comcast HD reciever through HDMI

My pics aren't the best I know. But just deal with it. The pics were taken with a Canon SD600 6 megapixel camera.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag'nGT View Post

How close would the calibration settings on a 65 be to the 71? I'll be bringing mine home on wednesday and want to get it set up decently.

I tried these from the 65 thread and they worked pretty well on 5th element...

Calibration stats: These are calibrated settings for HDMI inputs only. I used HCFR with a DTP-94 colorimeter to do the calibration.

For Backlight 8 and Contrast 100 over HDMI, average Gamma is 2.21; color temperature is 6500 +214 / -143 except at IRE 10 where it climbs to 7288; Delta E is mostly under 3; minimum black is 0.29 and maximum white is 375.84; contrast ratio (with Dynamic Contrast Off) is 1296:1. Look at the first attached JPG to see graphs of the calibration from HCFR at Backlight 8 and Contrast 100.

For Backlight 4 and Contrast 85 over HDMI, average Gamma is 2.16; color temperature is 6500 +318 / -189 except at IRE 10 where it climbs to 8005; Delta E is under 3 at 30 IRE and above; minimum black is 0.20 and maximum white is 176.69; contrast ratio (with Dynamic Contrast Off) is 883:1. Look at the second attached JPG to see graphs of the calibration from HCFR at Backlight 4 and Contrast 85.

Cable box / DVD setting: Set your cable box or DVD player to put out RGB over HDMI if possible. If the box is not putting out RGB, you will know because the TV setting for HDMI Black Level will be grayed out. The settings should still work ok but use RGB if possible, it seems to work better with the Dynamic Contrast "Low" setting. Do not set your cable box or DVD player to put out a "Full" or "Enhanced" RGB range (as this will lead to blacks being too dark), unless you also set the TV's HDMI Black Level to "Normal" instead of "Low".

PS3 Setting: When using a PS3 with these settings, set the BD/DVD settings to "RGB", not "Auto" or "YCbCr". Secondly, either 1) set the PS3 to RGB "Limited" and set the TV's HDMI Black Level to "Low" as specified below; or 2) set the PS3 to RGB "Full" and set the TV's HDMI Black Level to "Normal". If you don't use one of these two settings the shadows will be screwed up.

XBox 360 Setting: When using a 360 with these settings, either 1) set the 360 to "Standard" and set the TV's HDMI Black Level to "Low" as specified below; or 2) set the Xbox to "Expanded" and set the TV's HDMI Black Level to "Normal". If you don't use one of these two settings the shadows will be screwed up.

Notes: This calibration produces excellent black detail without sacrificing dark blacks. I like a little pop so I have set "Dynamic Contrast" to "Low" after calibration.

The settings:
Picture
Mode Movie
Contrast 85-100 (85 if you have a dark room and/or like subdued settings, 100 if you like a lot of "pop" or the room is well-lit)
Brightness 44
Sharpness 20
Color 50
Tint 50
Backlight 1-8 (4 if you have a dark room and/or like subdued settings, 8 if you like a lot of "pop" or the room is well-lit)

Color Tone Warm1
Digital NR Auto

Detailed Settings
Black Adjust Off
Dynamic Contrast Low
Gamma -1
Color Space Auto
Edge Enhancement On
xvYCC Off

White Balance
R-Offset 21
G-Offset 20
B-Offset 21
R-Gain 0
G-Gain 21
B-Gain 26

My Color Control
Pink 20
Green 15
Blue 15
White 15

Setup
Energy Saving Off
HDMI Black Level Low (will be grayed out if the input is Component or if your HDMI video source is putting out a YCbCr signal instead of RGB - OK but RGB better as noted above)

Tv's should be the same just the 24hz and higher contrast to give a deeper black.

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
Old 08-27-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slouque1 View Post

I currently have a Samsung 32" direct view CRT which I love very much. However, I just invested in a 5.1 system for my house and am looking into getting a bigger TV. I have been reading this thread for a couple months now and really want to get this TV. The only thing is I've never sween it in person yet. I have seen the 65 series. My question is, is it really worth putting down a couple hundred more to get the 71 instead of getting the 65? They both seem to have the same features with the only difference being the refresh rate.

Thats a good question. I think its up to you. I've seen both TVs. and i own the 71 myself. In my opinion. the 71 is the better TV by a small margin. But the 65 would be a better value at this point. Those TVs are getting cheaper and cheaper. And if you'er already happy with the frame rate of the 65 then you'd be ok. I don't think the motion flow is for everybody. Sometimes it makes some shows look like really good quality home videos. Its definitely something you'er gonna notice upfront. I think its pretty cool at times. But prolly not worth it.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

I cannot believe I'm being asked to define "haze" one of the most obvious deficiencies of LCD - it's ever so slight fog overlapping. Ever view a wide screen movie and look at the black bars? They are not truly black on nearly all LCD's they are gray/black with that haze

Oh, you are talking about the base black level being driven by the backlight to some degree. I assumed this was just considered part of the contrast level. Yes in every images on screen the blacks only gets as black as that. Black bar levels and quality are indeed a key test

On my prior Sony 40S3000....the black bars were black black....if you turned off the TV they did get blacker...but with the TV they were essentially not being driven. Its native 1600-1.....so I would say that 1600-1 haze is trivial....at 1800-1 its really really trivial...and at the XBR level of native 2000-1 its gone.

On both the XBR and the 71 I saw a processing film over the skin tones. This is at 6 feet away on 46 inchers. I am not sure what to call this...on skin tones is like there is a layer of film (like oil over water) over the skin. Looks like all sorts of fancy processing is gong on, image. The XBR was better at this than the 71. They had a 40 inch V3000 next to them which did not have it....so it may be 46 inch pixel size which I am not as familar with as 40s

It was a quick look so it could have just been a signal thing, or something else....I need to look again.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thats a good question. I think its up to you. I've seen both TVs. and i own the 71 myself. In my opinion. the 71 is the better TV by a small margin. But the 65 would be a better value at this point. Those TVs are getting cheaper and cheaper. And if you'er already happy with the frame rate of the 65 then you'd be ok. I don't think the motion flow is for everybody. Sometimes it makes some shows look like really good quality home videos. Its definitely something you'er gonna notice upfront. I think its pretty cool at times. But prolly not worth it.

I would agree. it is about a 500 dollar jump from a 65 to 71. 65 is an awesome set. If you plan on watching a lot of blu ray or HDDVD, you might want to consider the 71 since it implements 24p and does it very well. Go to CC or BB and try to check out the xbr4, 71, or 81 to see the effect of a blu ray showing a movie at 1080p24 to see what a blue ray looks like in its native resolution and frame rate. If that does not floor you then stay with the 65's. If the 3d effect that you get from the 1080p24 makes you smile and you plan on watching a lot of movies in HD format then don't go look at the 71, 81, xbr4 because you just might want one....

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
Old 08-28-2007, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Hello all! I have been browsing this site for quite a while. And studying up on LCD TVs. And long story short. Me and my wife went out to CCity Yesterday and brought the 4071. Wow! Great TV. I was weary about the gloss at first (cause our apt has sky lights). But you know. It really isn't as nearly as bad as people make it seem... Its great and I haven't had any problems wit it at all. I even tried to hook up my Xbox 360 Premium (without the HDMI port). And I set the setting on 1080p. And it works through component video. WOW! That made me very excited. Anyways the TV is still fresh and we just got the Comcast HD box hooked up. But I don't have my digi cam on me. But I will post pics up if you like. Just let me know. Although if you want me to it'll be a few hours before I can. Holla

Congrats on the new set. When you get a chance, pics would be great. Give us a review too, including performance with fast actions sports and with ps3/360 if you have one. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpjunkie View Post

I tried these from the 65 thread and they worked pretty well on 5th element...

Calibration stats: These are calibrated settings for HDMI inputs only. I used HCFR with a DTP-94 colorimeter to do the calibration.

For Backlight 8 and Contrast 100 over HDMI, average Gamma is 2.21; color temperature is 6500 +214 / -143 except at IRE 10 where it climbs to 7288; Delta E is mostly under 3; minimum black is 0.29 and maximum white is 375.84; contrast ratio (with Dynamic Contrast Off) is 1296:1. Look at the first attached JPG to see graphs of the calibration from HCFR at Backlight 8 and Contrast 100.

For Backlight 4 and Contrast 85 over HDMI, average Gamma is 2.16; color temperature is 6500 +318 / -189 except at IRE 10 where it climbs to 8005; Delta E is under 3 at 30 IRE and above; minimum black is 0.20 and maximum white is 176.69; contrast ratio (with Dynamic Contrast Off) is 883:1. Look at the second attached JPG to see graphs of the calibration from HCFR at Backlight 4 and Contrast 85.

Cable box / DVD setting: Set your cable box or DVD player to put out RGB over HDMI if possible. If the box is not putting out RGB, you will know because the TV setting for HDMI Black Level will be grayed out. The settings should still work ok but use RGB if possible, it seems to work better with the Dynamic Contrast "Low" setting. Do not set your cable box or DVD player to put out a "Full" or "Enhanced" RGB range (as this will lead to blacks being too dark), unless you also set the TV's HDMI Black Level to "Normal" instead of "Low".

PS3 Setting: When using a PS3 with these settings, set the BD/DVD settings to "RGB", not "Auto" or "YCbCr". Secondly, either 1) set the PS3 to RGB "Limited" and set the TV's HDMI Black Level to "Low" as specified below; or 2) set the PS3 to RGB "Full" and set the TV's HDMI Black Level to "Normal". If you don't use one of these two settings the shadows will be screwed up.

XBox 360 Setting: When using a 360 with these settings, either 1) set the 360 to "Standard" and set the TV's HDMI Black Level to "Low" as specified below; or 2) set the Xbox to "Expanded" and set the TV's HDMI Black Level to "Normal". If you don't use one of these two settings the shadows will be screwed up.

Notes: This calibration produces excellent black detail without sacrificing dark blacks. I like a little pop so I have set "Dynamic Contrast" to "Low" after calibration.

The settings:
Picture
Mode Movie
Contrast 85-100 (85 if you have a dark room and/or like subdued settings, 100 if you like a lot of "pop" or the room is well-lit)
Brightness 44
Sharpness 20
Color 50
Tint 50
Backlight 1-8 (4 if you have a dark room and/or like subdued settings, 8 if you like a lot of "pop" or the room is well-lit)

Color Tone Warm1
Digital NR Auto

Detailed Settings
Black Adjust Off
Dynamic Contrast Low
Gamma -1
Color Space Auto
Edge Enhancement On
xvYCC Off

White Balance
R-Offset 21
G-Offset 20
B-Offset 21
R-Gain 0
G-Gain 21
B-Gain 26

My Color Control
Pink 20
Green 15
Blue 15
White 15

Setup
Energy Saving Off
HDMI Black Level Low (will be grayed out if the input is Component or if your HDMI video source is putting out a YCbCr signal instead of RGB - OK but RGB better as noted above)

Tv's should be the same just the 24hz and higher contrast to give a deeper black.

A shout out to you 71 owners. We have pretty much nailed down the above settings as our base settings for the 61/65 sets. I just wanted to mention that you ought to give mad props to the following member: WPWoodJr, who has been working his butt off, in the 61/65 calibration thread to make our lives a lot easier, the same as your lives, as the 71 series is very similar to the 65 series. I know because I have already been to two BBY stores and I have used these settings to "calibrate" the sets which were on display at those stores

Samsung: 52" 850 / 46" 61 / 40" 61 / PS3 / BD-P1500 / A3 HD-DVD / Format Neutral
Old 08-28-2007, 12:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by axmode View Post

A shout out to you 71 owners. We have pretty much nailed down the above settings as our base settings for the 61/65 sets. I just wanted to mention that you ought to give mad props to the following member: WPWoodJr, who has been working his butt off, in the 61/65 calibration thread to make our lives a lot easier, the same as your lives, as the 71 series is very similar to the 65 series. I know because I have already been to two BBY stores and I have used these settings to "calibrate" the sets which were on display at those stores

Axe, you old dog you, i have a feeling a lot of us 61/65 owners will be seeing each other sooner or later in these newer model threads. We all just fiend for the newest, coolest toys.

LG 55LHX
PS3 60gig | HTPC (building now) | WDTV | AT&T UVerse
ATT UVerse
Denon 1712 receiver | JBL 190's, 130's, and 120c
Old 08-28-2007, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by axmode View Post

Yeah props to WPWOODJR, great settings. They might not be for everyone as they actually represent what your eyes see in the real world as grass looks like grass does and so do all the other colors. A lot of people like thier sets to look like they do on dynamic mode which is just crazy to me. I can't stand flourecent green grass or blood red flowers, pink skin, and yada yada.

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
Old 08-28-2007, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoman504 View Post

Axe, you old dog you, i have a feeling a lot of us 61/65 owners will be seeing each other sooner or later in these newer model threads. We all just fiend for the newest, coolest toys.

And I feel just like a young pup

Yes no doubt, as we will be liaising/brain storming again on one of these new sets. My initial gut reaction is that I will be going the Sony way next (XBR4/5), as I already have two Sammys. I have read some of the reviews on the 81 on the other thread and I am just too hesitant to try something new and untested like that technology.

The 71 is just too reflective for my taste (as was the case with my 65). So, if I am convinced that the XBR4/5 is finally over its clouding hurdles, I will be motivated 6 months or so down the road.

I will not put Sharp out of the equation either, if they replace their banded panels in a newer version of the 92U. There are alot of choices out there and there will be more. Also, the KURO 8G is not out of the question either

Samsung: 52" 850 / 46" 61 / 40" 61 / PS3 / BD-P1500 / A3 HD-DVD / Format Neutral
Old 08-28-2007, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah props to WPWOODJR, great settings. They might not be for everyone as they actually represent what your eyes see in the real world as grass looks like grass does and so do all the other colors. A lot of people like thier sets to look like they do on dynamic mode which is just crazy to me. I can't stand flourecent green grass or blood red flowers, pink skin, and yada yada.

Good man, giving credit where it is due

Old 08-28-2007, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would agree. it is about a 500 dollar jump from a 65 to 71. 65 is an awesome set. If you plan on watching a lot of blu ray or HDDVD, you might want to consider the 71 since it implements 24p and does it very well. Go to CC or BB and try to check out the xbr4, 71, or 81 to see the effect of a blu ray showing a movie at 1080p24 to see what a blue ray looks like in its native resolution and frame rate. If that does not floor you then stay with the 65's. If the 3d effect that you get from the 1080p24 makes you smile and you plan on watching a lot of movies in HD format then don't go look at the 71, 81, xbr4 because you just might want one....

And that is what I am precisely shying away from, for now

Old 08-28-2007, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, the 71 series floored me today at CC. Pirates of the Carribean looked 3D which is what i was trying to describe in my post. However, even though the blacks were very black i noticed the same thing that i noticed on the 65 series....black crush, well, maybe that's too strong, maybe a better way to say it is some lack of detail in shadowy scenes especially when next to a bright area. Can this be calibrated out?
Old 08-28-2007, 01:53 AM

Holy crap...I just returned my 71 for the 81...and wow. My jaw hit the floor when I watched the trailer for Hitman. The 71 was a great tv...but the 81 is just spanking!
Old 08-28-2007, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeLTron View Post

Holy crap...I just returned my 71 for the 81...and wow. My jaw hit the floor when I watched the trailer for Hitman. The 71 was a great tv...but the 81 is just spanking!

What was the trailer on, ps3, 360? Joe you trader, lol

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
Old 08-28-2007, 02:16 AM

Quote:

no. The 71 can output 5.1dd if you are watching a cable show in hd that is i 5.1 through the rf coax, then then the tv will output 5.1 through the optical to your receiver. the 71 will not take a 5.1 through hdmi and output it through the TVs optical out. So if you have a cable box with hdmi or ps3 and 360, then you will need to output the 5.1 from your source with an optical to your receiver unless you have a receiver like onkyo 605 with hdmi in.

I'm new to HDTVs, please excuse my simple question. If I have my Tivo HD and/or Xbox 360 connected to the TV via HDMI, I can't output any sound from my TV to my home theater system? I have an old home theater system which does not accept HDMI. It accepts only optical in and L/R audio cable. I was hoping to plug everything into the TV via HDMI and have my TV output sound to my home theater system. Does this mean I have to use the TV's speakers instead? Thanks for answer my question.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahui168 View Post

I'm new to HDTVs, please excuse my simple question. If I have my Tivo HD and/or Xbox 360 connected to the TV via HDMI, I can't output any sound from my TV to my home theater system? I have an old home theater system which does not accept HDMI. It accepts only optical in and L/R audio cable. I was hoping to plug everything into the TV via HDMI and have my TV output sound to my home theater system. Does this mean I have to use the TV's speakers instead? Thanks for answer my question.

What kind of tv? Most tv's have an optical out or left and right out. You are usually better off conecting your tivo and xbox directly to your home theatre system because your tv might not be able to receive digital input and output. Make sure your tv settings are turned to external audio output to on if you are trying to send your tv sound output to your receiver. But yeah if you are not trying to achieve HD sound with HDMI then just connect your tivo and 360 to your receiver and bypass your tv all together

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
Old 08-28-2007, 02:32 AM

Quote:

What kind of tv? Most tv's have an optical out or left and right out. You are usually better off conecting your tivo and xbox directly to your home theatre system because your tv might not be able to receive digital input and output. Make sure your tv settings are turned to external audio output to on if you are trying to send your tv sound output to your receiver. But yeah if you are not trying to achieve HD sound with HDMI then just connect your tivo and 360 to your receiver and bypass your tv all together

I will be receiving the LN-T5281F tomorrow. I have a pretty old home theater, DAV-FX80, which has only one optical in, and two L/R audio, and no HDMI input. I'm going to have three HDMI sources that I want to connect to the 81F and then have the 81F output sound to the DAV-FX80. It seems I can't output sound this way, and I can't connect my HDMI sources to the home theater system. I suppose using the speakers on the 81F isn't that bad. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:00 AM

Quote:

What was the trailer on, ps3, 360? Joe you trader, lol

haha...i just had to...i went into the warehouse at work and I heard the 81 just calling my name...went home on my lunch...picked up the 71 and left work today with the 81.

Haha if anyone wants a great deal on the 71...come in and buy my open box...Ill hook it up!

oh btw, it was for 360
Old 08-28-2007, 12:40 PM

Hey all, I just picked this TV up this weekend. I had been following the 65F models for quite some time, and it just so happened I saw the 71F series on the Best Buy website. Well, before I knew it I was walking out with one of this bad boys. Amazing quality, simply amazing!

Now seeing as I am quite a noob compared to my peers here, I am wondering if anyone has figured out what the best way to connect a PC to the 71F. I have a DVI ouput, and a VGA adapter for it as well. Considering the 71F model has gotten rid of DVI-in, I currently just have the DVI->VGA option. Would looking into getting a DVI->HDMI wire be the better way to go?

Also on a similar note, I am rather confused about the 120hz. I have yet to see where the option to turn on 120hz is or 24hz for that matter, I guess I just have to spend more time looking through the menu options. At the moment I seem to be getting the hint from some of these posts that the TV doesn't actually do 120hz, but instead MotionPlus on High is what they are calling 120hz when in reality its 60hz being highly interpolated. At the very same time, I am getting the hint that the TV does in fact display in 120hz, but it does not when connected to the computer. If that is the case, :cry: -- since I was primarily going to watch movies through the computer.

Sorry if I am asking too many questions all at once. Bare with me please
Old 08-28-2007, 01:22 PM

Can any of the new 71 adopters confirm if there is motion blur when watching HD football games. My 47" Philips has pretty bad blurring in fast scenes and camera panning, which causes eyes strains.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdi84 View Post

Hey all, I just picked this TV up this weekend. I had been following the 65F models for quite some time, and it just so happened I saw the 71F series on the Best Buy website. Well, before I knew it I was walking out with one of this bad boys. Amazing quality, simply amazing!

Now seeing as I am quite a noob compared to my peers here, I am wondering if anyone has figured out what the best way to connect a PC to the 71F. I have a DVI ouput, and a VGA adapter for it as well. Considering the 71F model has gotten rid of DVI-in, I currently just have the DVI->VGA option. Would looking into getting a DVI->HDMI wire be the better way to go?

Also on a similar note, I am rather confused about the 120hz. I have yet to see where the option to turn on 120hz is or 24hz for that matter, I guess I just have to spend more time looking through the menu options. At the moment I seem to be getting the hint from some of these posts that the TV doesn't actually do 120hz, but instead MotionPlus on High is what they are calling 120hz when in reality its 60hz being highly interpolated. At the very same time, I am getting the hint that the TV does in fact display in 120hz, but it does not when connected to the computer. If that is the case, :cry: -- since I was primarily going to watch movies through the computer.

I think most people here would go DVI > HDMI, but using the VGA input would free up a HDMI port for another device's use.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdi84 View Post

I use vga from my pc to vga input on my tv and it works fine. If you have a dvi out then get a dvi to hdmi dongle or cable and connect your pc to your tv hdmi input 1. Try both the vga and dvi and see which your eyes like best. To use the 24p you have to set your blu ray or hd dvd player to output at 24p. I use a ps3 and set the option on the blu ray player to outsource it at 1080p24 and the tv will auto switch to that mode. To test to see if your tv is doing a 24p, simply hit the info button on the remote and in the upper left hand corner it should say vertical 27 and horizontal 24. To do the 120hz, hit menu button push right till mode is highlighted, push up, then you will see automotion plus and you can change that to off, low, med, and high.

Do you have a blu ray player and a movie ? Pop one in if you do and set automotion to med and tell me what you think. You will either fall out of your chair and love it or absolutly hate every minute of it... Also try off, low, med, and high on tv shows, dvd's, games, and HD content to see what you like and post your efforts... Don't dissapear. Congrats

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD