Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpey326 View Post

I started a settings/calibration thread for the samsung 71 series tvs

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=901174

Cool. I will get in on that. I did notice that 3D affect in the movies. Is that cause of Automotion or the PS3 setting to 1080p24hz?
post #453 of 28850 Old 09-01-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilltrying View Post

same thing here mykalt. i may take this back tomorrow and see if the xbr4 is any better. i dont care if samsung, sony or pioneer all claims the best. i have products from all three that i would claim are junk. but so far the 71 isnt impressing me too much. the color is superb but i dont like watching color racing stripes. the shiny screen was what made me want the sammie. i love the shiny screen everything seems much more vibrant but the rest is just not cutting it for me so far. i really dont want to deal with a plasma but the pioneers look very nice but scare me for a computer monitor. i currently have an sxrd in living room that has been down for 1 month waiting on new optical block from service guy so sony has me pretty pissed about right now. so needless to say im not for sure what to do at this point. i wish this tv had zero artifacting and i would claim its the best period but right now it is definitely not. in not a super A/V person but the blacks look very good to me

Have you tried the Tosh LX177? Aside from a few initial reports of green push it's pretty darn complete and probably the cheapest of all 120Hz sets..

Mind you, I don't have one yet as I'm waiting for the 52" to be available in my region and the price to go down...

Take care,
post #454 of 28850 Old 09-01-2007, 10:25 PM

well i have finally setup this tv with my ota and the picture looks very good with a much better decrease in artifacts (virtually none). i am sure that the oppo was causing this as the sammy dvd player did a much better job and when the ota stations were coming in in 1080i and 720p they looked really good. i am betting that the blu ray or hd dvd players produce negligible to none in the artifacting department.

can anyone comment on this?

i am shocked that after spending a sizeable sum on the oppo that it performs like this. guess i will have to contact them and see what the deal is.

the more i watch the hd channels the more i am considering keeping this. had me worried that it was the tv
post #455 of 28850 Old 09-02-2007, 04:58 AM

Promising news for Canadians,
I just spotted the the 71 Series on the Canadian Samsung site.

Here's a link to the 46": lnt4671

Hope this means that we'll see them in stores soon.
post #456 of 28850 Old 09-02-2007, 06:53 AM

So far, the Blu-ray and DVDs upscaled with the PS3 look good. I turned off the auto-motion when watching some movies because it makes it look too smooth, and fake, like it was being watched live. It lost the "movie" effect if that made sense. Also, some scenes stuttered. However, when watching HD channels over the air, the auto-motion seemed to help or at least not bother the picture. I found the calibration settings from the 65 to give artificial colors, but I'm sure that will be worked out soon. Also, I watching football yesterday, and I did not see any of the problems being reported about blurring and such.
post #457 of 28850 Old 09-02-2007, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2007 View Post

I suppose you don't want to know anything about 4781 because you might cancel your 4671 and order 4681 then!

From my experience with these sets, he wouldn't. While the 81s look nice, they don't look better than the 71s...especially not hundreds of dollars better.
post #458 of 28850 Old 09-02-2007, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leostephen View Post

Unfortunately, blurring/doubling on footballs/baseballs/etc still occuring for me as well, using Time Warner 8300HD cable box. It occurs on Dynamic, Standard, or Movie, with HDMI or Component, and with 120 Mhz on/off. The only way I can get it to stop is by putting the TV in Game mode, which obviously is troubling, and leads me to believe it is something in the TV's non-adjustable processing. I would say my TV is defective, but Copeland seems to be having the same exact issue. Can someone else with the 4671 please check their set for this issue, when watching football, baseball etc? It's especially noticeable on deep throws and line drives. I will really appreciate it!

Also, for the record, I love everything else about the set. Glare is not an issue, and I have a light source behind the TV. 1080p coming from 360 HDDVD/VGA is absolutely stunning.

I have tried everything too, doesnt matter hdmi or component. I havent tried ota I may try that if I can do it cheaply. If that doesnt fix it then I know its the tv and it will go back. Its funny I love the tv for everything except when the ball moves high and fast. I cant live with it like that. Sounds like you have the exact same situation. PM me if you find a fix, I'll do the same.
post #459 of 28850 Old 09-02-2007, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

From my experience with these sets, he wouldn't. While the 81s look nice, they don't look better than the 71s...especially not hundreds of dollars better.

Maybe that's why Samsung is only putting out a limited numbers to see how well the new technology sells and how the consumers feel about the new LED technology.

Go 24
post #460 of 28850 Old 09-02-2007, 10:20 AM

It's funny that you said that, because I came to this post looking for a similar answer. Yesterday I was at BB and taking a look at the three 40 inch samsungs they had on the wall, the 71 series was in the middle.
I turned on automotion to the highest level and I must say when the football preview came on I was shocked. The ball had this effect like it was lagging behind on the screen, with automotion set to its highest level. When I turned it down to the medium level it wasn't noticable anymore.
I need to cut my post off here, but that is what I experienced yesterday on BBs crappy feeds.
post #461 of 28850 Old 09-02-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phigment View Post

Promising news for Canadians,
I just spotted the the 71 Series on the Canadian Samsung site.

Here's a link to the 46": lnt4671

Hope this means that we'll see them in stores soon.

This is good news. FS and BB still have 0 stock on order for the warehouse tho . This means at least 2 more weeks. (at those stores anyway)

Theres a store locater on the samsung product page and I type my postal code and no dealrs come up within 120km. So I guess that means no1 is selling it yet.
post #462 of 28850 Old 09-02-2007, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by copelandcf View Post

I have tried everything too, doesnt matter hdmi or component. I havent tried ota I may try that if I can do it cheaply. If that doesnt fix it then I know its the tv and it will go back. Its funny I love the tv for everything except when the ball moves high and fast. I cant live with it like that. Sounds like you have the exact same situation. PM me if you find a fix, I'll do the same.

I sat in front of the 5271 yesterday at BB watching college football in HD. Saw nothing like what you're describing. Loved it so much that I just got home from buying the 5271 (using the 12 percent off BB coupon). Took me many months to decide between the new plasmas and the new LCDs, but after having checked out the 65/61s, the new XBRs, the new Pannys, and the new Pioneers, the 71 was far and away the clear winner for me. It arrives this coming Friday. I'm hoping it arrives defect free...in time for the first round of Sunday NFL games.
post #463 of 28850 Old 09-02-2007, 02:16 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by copelandcf View Post

See my post # 450 for a cheap (under $30) amplified indoor antenna that, if you live within 25 miles of local stations, picks up their digital and HD broadcasts perfectly.

Just use the loop, swivel the rabbit ears out of the way to lose that 1950's feeling.
post #464 of 28850 Old 09-02-2007, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OreoJoe View Post

More vectors improve image quality. Smaller block sizes have less prediction error.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archiv...Rate1.mspx#EBG

I'm still reading up on this stuff...but that looks like "Block Matching", supposedly inferior to "Phase Plane Correlation" which isn't limited by blocks. I hope Samsung uses the latter of the two since i know PPC is used in top of the line professional frame rate converters. It would be interesting to find out. Some info on both methods:

http://videoprocessing.ucsd.edu/~mai...s/asilomar.pdf

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archiv...Rate1.mspx#EBG
post #465 of 28850 Old 09-02-2007, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
OK first impression on the 71...oh oh - an artifacting golf ball. But watching 120hz mode - Yes its dramatic (depending on the scene). I don't think there is any going back to judder now. Our brains did not evolve to view that crap. It ****s with smooth pursuit!
post #466 of 28850 Old 09-02-2007, 05:28 PM

A few years ago when I needed a TV, I got an expensive Toshiba 53" rear projection crt 1080i HDTV, long before my cable provider even offered HD channels, thinking I'd be set for the HD future that was on its way. Well, it only has Colorstream Component inputs, no HDMI or DVI, so now I can't even get an upconverting DVD player let alone a real 1080p format player to work with it. I know if I had gotten the top of the line TV back then instead of the second best to save money I would have gotten the newer fancy inputs too so I'd still be able to use it today. I had that in mind when Heroes Season 1 came out last week on HD-DVD and I was ready to get a HD player and HDTV, again. I looked for the best one I could find, thinking that I could either spend a lot now and have the best tv the whole time, or I could spend half now on a cheaper TV and the other half again later when I had to rebuy it later.
I saw the Samsung 61 at BB and it stood out to me as being better than the ones around it, including the Sony XB2 that was on closeout. The 71 upped the Hz to 120 like the new Sony does to improve clarity. I liked the 71 better because the glossy surface seems to improve contrast by keeping room light from washing out the blacks in the screen. Then I saw the 81 on BB's website. It's not in any of the stores here, not even on Samsung's website yet, but it's available online.
I read a few things on here about the cost difference not being worth it because it doesn't look that much better than the 71 to those who've seen it. So, I'm going to post why I ordered it for those who are still making up their minds.
1) Being a salt-water aquarium coral reef hobbiest, you have to use various types of special lighting to produce what the corals need to grow. The compact flourescents I use to get enough bright light into a small space have to have certain brightnesses and light spectrums. One thing I learned about flourescents is that, though they do not burn out for many years, the light they put out after 1 year is not the same brightness nor the same spectrum as the day they were new. They shift as they mature and you have to replace them every year to keep the light in the correct spectrum and brightness for the corals to be happy. If you've ever replaced a regular flourescent bulb in a twin fixture it's easy to see there how much brighter and whiter the new bulb is next to an existing bulb that had been used for a while. Yes, flourescents won't actually burn out like other rear projection TVs or DLPs, but they won't look as good in just a couple years as they do on the day you buy them. LEDs have less of this type of degradation over time.
2) Being concerned about the environment, house light bulbs currently have to choose between incandescents that require more electricity, which burns more coal, which puts more mercury into the air, or, we get flourescent bulbs which contain mercury inside of them and if not disposed of properly will pollute the ground water some day. LED bulbs are efficient And contain no murcury. The model 81 LCD LED TV is the best model for the environment.
My 52" 81 is scheduled to arrive on Friday. It was expensive, but I see it as a long-term investment.
Now, one thing I'm not as sure about is the LG BH-100 multiplayer that I ordered so that I could play both HD-DVD and Blu-rays. I could use any input on whether that was a good choice or if I should exchange it. I read online that it's really just a Blu-ray player that can do some HD-DVD things but not all, like it can't do special features or HDinteractive features on HD-DVDs. Some people have posted that it only outputs 1080p in 24 Hz or 30 Hz so it doesn't work with most 1080p TVs that require 1080p in 60Hz. As far as I'm aware the Samsung 81 should be able to work with it OK.
post #467 of 28850 Old 09-02-2007, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixmdude View Post

Then I saw the 81 on BB's website. It's not in any of the stores here, not even on Samsung's website yet, but it's available online.
I read a few things on here about the cost difference not being worth it because it doesn't look that much better than the 71 to those who've seen it. So, I'm going to post why I ordered it for those who are still making up their minds.

2) The model 81 LCD LED TV is the best model for the environment.
My 52" 81 is scheduled to arrive on Friday. It was expensive, but I see it as a long-term investment.

It is highly recommended that you somehow manage to view the 81 first before buying.
I saw it first time today at CC/Mag and was not overly impressed. Ran that smartlight demo, and yes, it does make the colors deeper and the black blacker, but from that demo you can determine that all you have to do to get that deepness is just adjust the colors on the LED lights off mode, ie. just like a regular 71 series.
In addition ( and if Sharpjunkie and/or JoeLTron could confirm or dispute this ) the fact that the LED smartlights can be turned off to wit the 81 looks like a 71may mean the 81 has CCFL's in addition to LED backlighting.
Anyway, with the poor HD feed at CC, this set did NOT look any better then the other TV's on CC's wall, it only looked brighter because it is set on Dynamic.

all is good....LNT4671 1005/1001 SQ01 w/old PS3 80G,Oppo 83 & 2400ES into Mirage OS3FS
post #468 of 28850 Old 09-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

After a long ordeal at BB today with their customer "dis"service trying to get credit for my defective Westinghouse 1080p TV, I said the hell with it and bought the 4671 anyway. It is scheduled to arrive Monday the 10th (a day late for NFL Sunday ) I was looking at the 81, the Pio PDP-5010FD, the Sammy 5084 plasma, and the Sony XBR4. The options were all great, but the 4671 seemed to offer the best value for me. I just hope that it has no HDMI problems, looks as good as everyone says it does, and makes my sources shine. All material not 1080p will be upscaled to that resolution from my Onkyo 875 receiver with the HQV Reon chip, so even my SD cable should look great. I am so glad I didn't try to cheap out again and get a crappy bottom-of-the-barrel TV, and instead opted to by quality! Here's to hoping the adage "you get what you pay for" really pays off!
post #469 of 28850 Old 09-02-2007, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
can the xbox360 hd-dvd player not do 1080p24. I cant get it to work using HDMI. I get 1080p fine with HDMI, was just wondering about the 24p. People here say it works great on the ps3, but does it not work on this hddvd player
post #470 of 28850 Old 09-02-2007, 08:45 PM

Alot of people using other TVs say it only does 720p but if our 71 series can pull 1080p over vga cables then it should work.

Blu-ray supporter
PSN: Dragngt
post #471 of 28850 Old 09-02-2007, 09:04 PM

Went to BB today, got a great deal and bought the 4671. It should arrive this coming Thursday. One problem I have is deciding which cables to use, either hdmi or component. The guy at the store told me to use hdmi because the signal stays digital while the component receives a digital signal turns it into analog and then changes it back to digital. Is this correct? I should mention that I have a Direct Tivo HR10-250. I don't know if one cable of the other will make a different in quality to my tv.
post #472 of 28850 Old 09-02-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

I sat in front of the 5271 yesterday at BB watching college football in HD. Saw nothing like what you're describing. Loved it so much that I just got home from buying the 5271 (using the 12 percent off BB coupon). Took me many months to decide between the new plasmas and the new LCDs, but after having checked out the 65/61s, the new XBRs, the new Pannys, and the new Pioneers, the 71 was far and away the clear winner for me. It arrives this coming Friday. I'm hoping it arrives defect free...in time for the first round of Sunday NFL games.

Quickk question: Where can one find those coupons? Are those available in canada too?

Thanks,
post #473 of 28850 Old 09-02-2007, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpey326 View Post

can the xbox360 hd-dvd player not do 1080p24. I cant get it to work using HDMI. People here say it works great on the ps3, but does it not work on this hddvd player

I think that to take advantage of the 1080p you will need to buy the vga cables for your premium 360. 360 can output 1080p with components with games and the 71 will accept it, I have tried, but if you watch a movie with components, the xbox will revert back to 480p. So to take advantage of the 1080p you will need to get a VGA cable for your 360. This was one main reason that the elite came out so that folks that had tv's with no VGA and were going to buy the 360, they had the ability to get the HDDVD drive and use the HDMI cable. Ask JohnnyB since he has the 360 and the HDDVD and the 81. I don't know if he has the elite or premium. Now as far as 1080p24, not sure if you can or can't do that through the VGA. When I did the monitor info from my pc, I don't remember seeing that spec on the VGA port, only on the HDMI port. Once again throw JohnnyB a question and see if he has the elite or premium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag'nGT View Post

Alot of people using other TVs say it only does 720p but if our 71 series can pull 1080p over vga cables then it should work.

Yes, the 71 can do 1080p over vga and components. Tested and tried by me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baukerman View Post

Went to BB today, got a great deal and bought the 4671. It should arrive this coming Thursday. One problem I have is deciding which cables to use, either hdmi or component. The guy at the store told me to use hdmi because the signal stays digital while the component receives a digital signal turns it into analog and then changes it back to digital. Is this correct? I should mention that I have a Direct Tivo HR10-250. I don't know if one cable of the other will make a different in quality to my tv.

If you can do either, get the HDMI. You can buy some cheap 5 dollar HDMI cables on Ebay and they work just as well as 100 dollar monster HDMI cables. Tested and tried by me. No difference.

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
post #474 of 28850 Old 09-02-2007, 10:43 PM

Another Canadian waiting for this tv.
post #475 of 28850 Old 09-03-2007, 06:32 AM

Aaahhhh another Canuck...... waiting. *sniffle* ;p
post #476 of 28850 Old 09-03-2007, 07:11 AM

* a Brit waiting for this TV.... although they call it the F86 over here! And I have to wait until late september... rubbish! lol
post #477 of 28850 Old 09-03-2007, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovy View Post

In addition ( and if Sharpjunkie and/or JoeLTron could confirm or dispute this ) the fact that the LED smartlights can be turned off to wit the 81 looks like a 71may mean the 81 has CCFL's in addition to LED backlighting.

From what I've read the 81 only uses LEDs for lighting, because they have "replaced" the flourescents:

"These models replace the conventional bar-style fluorescent backlight with hundreds of LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes). "

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1ARa7an...p?i=305LNT5281

and here:

"the first widely distributed flat-panel LCDs that replace the traditional fluorescent backlight (the TV's light source) with LED technology."

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-a...-32514517.html
post #478 of 28850 Old 09-03-2007, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixmdude View Post

From what I've read the 81 only uses LEDs for lighting, because they have "replaced" the flourescents:

"These models replace the conventional bar-style fluorescent backlight with hundreds of LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes). "

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1ARa7an...p?i=305LNT5281

and here:

"the first widely distributed flat-panel LCDs that replace the traditional fluorescent backlight (the TV's light source) with LED technology."

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-a...-32514517.html

If thats the case then when Smartlights are OFF the LED BLU is not really fully OFF, and it seems to act like a regular CCFL BLU producing flashlights in corners and mura as indicated in prior posts,which is indicative of CCFL's. Hmmmm

all is good....LNT4671 1005/1001 SQ01 w/old PS3 80G,Oppo 83 & 2400ES into Mirage OS3FS
post #479 of 28850 Old 09-03-2007, 10:05 AM

Liked: 15
getting my 4671 on the 5th. im soo happy. i got a good deal at BB. thanx for every one on this thread, helping me on my dissection. im using it for gaming.
post #480 of 28850 Old 09-03-2007, 11:17 AM

Like most state this thing has amazing PQ. Just tried connecting my PC and the system picked it right up without doing any adjustments. Ran that elephant animated video and the WOW factor kicked in. Was also able to watch a true HD channel and again simply amazing! The SD channels though leave a lot to be desired. Will be getting my cable converter box tomorrow, there is some HD channels included. To the best of my knowledge there doesn't seem to be any bad pixels. Still trying to learn all the ins/outs of this Sammy.

Thanks for all the information on this thread!

Cheers!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page