Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 28850 Old 09-04-2007, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpey326 View Post

okay, I am watching tennis in hd right now and do see the blurriness that people were talking about. I didnt see it before because I never watched tennis or football in hd. I dont believe this was noticed on the xbr4. Xbr4 handled it no problem. What setting on the 71 series will get rid of this.

I think there might be a serious flaw with the tv here.

What I saw was almost like double-vision, some kind of a stutter with the golf ball itself. Is that what you saw, or by blurriness do you mean just a general streak?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 28850 Old 09-04-2007, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
1.Now this is really getting confusing. What is the purpose of auto motion plus (AMP) if not to get rid of blurriness and double images on all sources? Does AMP only work on BD/HD players? Or does it only work on HD cable but only in certain modes?

per RennjectX:
HD cable channels look great. Standard def channels look ok, but obviously, you lose a lot there. Watching US Open action in HD and all of the motion is very smooth. Dynamic mode with Auto Motion Plus(AMP) on "high". I rotated thru the settings, including "off", while watching the tennis. Not a huge amount of difference there.

Watching King Kong on the HD player - movie mode, you cannot leave the AMP turned on or there is problems with the motion. Turn it off and everything involving motion looks great, but resolution seems to decrease. And by "decrease" I still mean that it it very high resolution, but I can no longer count the pores on Jack Black's nose.

per Slumpey:
okay, I am watching tennis in hd right now and do see the blurriness that people were talking about. I didnt see it before because I never watched tennis or football in hd. I dont believe this was noticed on the xbr4. Xbr4 handled it no problem. What setting on the 71 series will get rid of this.

I think there might be a serious flaw with the tv here.

and per Copelandcf:
I am one of the people with blurry problems for sports. I exchanged the set twice for different reasons but all three sets have had the same double vision issue. I have a SA8300 and another older SA box, they both do it so I dont think its a 8300 specific problem. I also have turned off the motion plus, and it didnt help, nor did turning it on med or hi. I'd hate to take this back again, especially since the color and smoothness and blacks are great, but I'm not sure if I can deal with double vision balls for sports. Even if it is the source, it doesnt do it with my other tv's so why should I live with that? I'll try and confirm its the source once we have some OTA football in HD. Any other suggestions for a solution?

What is the correct scenario for AMP to work properly, and if one cannot do that scenario, how does one prevent blurriness and doubling with AMP off?

2.Can the internal speakers be turned OFF so as not to interfere with dolby 5.1 sound from a receiver ( using HDMI from cable box to HDMI on the 71)

3.Does the 71 have auto backlight dimming (ie. when the room lights go off, the TV picture dims )? This would be similar to Sharp's OPC.
If not, do you have to always go into the menu to manually dim the set to make it more suitable for night time viewing?

Answers to these important questions are greatly appreciated.

all is good....LNT4671 1005/1001 SQ01 w/old PS3 80G,Oppo 83 & 2400ES into Mirage OS3FS
post #543 of 28850 Old 09-04-2007, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think the auto motion 120hz settings should be off in cable hd or standard viewing. I saw it made everything worse in my opinion. The probably only use for it is with blue ray or ps3. I had to turn it off on my xbox 460 hddvd player because it was not looking well.
post #544 of 28850 Old 09-04-2007, 09:16 PM
cmf

Quote:

I found best to turn auto motion 120hz OFF when watching HD and standard cable channels. Anyone with other opinions

There's some good discussion on this at What's auto-motion-plus/motion-flow
post #545 of 28850 Old 09-04-2007, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf View Post

I'm not sure why anyone would want to turn 120Hz on when watching 60Hz source material (e.g., cable). I was under the impression that 120Hz was only there to improve the PQ on 24Hz sources (e.g., film).

And therein lies the problem: this set is being touted as providing very smooth motion...period.

all is good....LNT4671 1005/1001 SQ01 w/old PS3 80G,Oppo 83 & 2400ES into Mirage OS3FS
post #546 of 28850 Old 09-04-2007, 09:34 PM

Thanks skyehill. Not a lot of 71 action over there yet though.

Now that it is completely dark here I've got some more impressions. HD cable still looks great and fills the entire screen. Watched some more of HD dvd King Kong and I've got what looks like little spot lights in the top two cormers shining down towards the picture. This is most visible in the black bars, but is also visible enough for me not to like in the picture itself. I'll work with the back light levels some.

I've read a lot of terms on here that discribe different effects, but I don't know what to call this. I've also read that you have to run these tvs a while to see how they are really going to be. Is this something that will disappear after a few days or do I have a real problem?
post #547 of 28850 Old 09-04-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:

I think the auto motion 120hz settings should be off in cable hd or standard viewing. I saw it made everything worse in my opinion. The probably only use for it is with blue ray or ps3. I had to turn it off on my xbox 460 hddvd player because it was not looking well.

I had to turn AMP off on my 360 hddvd player as well. I can expect this not to be the case when my blu-ray player arrives?
post #548 of 28850 Old 09-04-2007, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennject X View Post

Thanks skyehill. Not a lot of 71 action over there yet though.

Now that it is completely dark here I've got some more impressions. HD cable still looks great and fills the entire screen. Watched some more of HD dvd King Kong and I've got what looks like little spot lights in the top two cormers shining down towards the picture. This is most visible in the black bars, but is also visible enough for me not to like in the picture itself. I'll work with the back light levels some.

I've read a lot of terms on here that discribe different effects, but I don't know what to call this. I've also read that you have to run these tvs a while to see how they are really going to be. Is this something that will disappear after a few days or do I have a real problem?

Sounds like flashlighting. Some people have this go away in time. Many others don't. Not sure what to recommend to you. I'm just hoping mine arrives this Friday without it.
post #549 of 28850 Old 09-04-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Sounds like flashlighting. Some people have this go away in time. Many others don't. Not sure what to recommend to you. I'm just hoping mine arrives this Friday without it.

Interesting. I thought I had read something on here about this effect. I hope that it goes away or I will probably be packing it back up.
post #550 of 28850 Old 09-04-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:

copelandcf, what settings are you using exactly. maybe you have something else switched on that should be switched off. That may be effecting it as well

I have tried standard mode and vivid, with every form of AMP. Does it the same for each, none better than the other. I have tried dnie on and off without success, I am not sure if I have tried the noise reduction off yet, I will try that too.
post #551 of 28850 Old 09-04-2007, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikl1984 View Post

For understanding which way 120Hz achieve in 71 serie please check following doc http://product.samsung.com/semi/ssi_...2006_11_15.pdf

Ok you got me excited for nothing. That does'nt mention 3:2 pulldown or 5:5. I hope its the latter but most likely the former.
post #552 of 28850 Old 09-04-2007, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennject X View Post

Interesting. I thought I had read something on here about this effect. I hope that it goes away or I will probably be packing it back up.

Mine has that mostly on the top left. I will say that it has lessened a bit, but not totally gone.
post #553 of 28850 Old 09-05-2007, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

You just need to tune the Plasma zealots out. They're here out of some childish insecurity, I assume.

They come in here to kill time while they are whitewashing their TV to get rid of the IR.
post #554 of 28850 Old 09-05-2007, 02:32 AM

First time posting, but long time reading.

I've pretty much made up my mind on getting the 71, but my question is on size. Is there any inherant issues/differences with screen size. From what I've been reading here, it seems that it depends on how far back you'll be sitting that should determine the screen size (around 8 or 9 ft for me). But I'm not sure if there are differences (artifacts / refresh rates / studdering / etc) that become more problematic as the screen size increases. I would like to get the 52, even with the 46 price being sooo attractive, so is there any difference PQ wise?

Thanks in advance
post #555 of 28850 Old 09-05-2007, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf View Post

There's some good discussion on this at What's auto-motion-plus/motion-flow

I wouldn't call it a "good" discussion since nobody in there knows what the hell they are talking about. And to top it off it's capped with a review by the self proclaimed "HD Guru" who reviewed the new Sony XBR4 without testing the 24fps/1080p/24 motion enhancer correctly. He's a plasma fan boy who is scared now that LCD's are bypasing plasma in PQ.
post #556 of 28850 Old 09-05-2007, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

I wouldn't call it a "good" discussion since nobody in there knows what the hell they are talking about.

Why don't you just use this next time:

http://www.pipersprecisionproducts.c...MVC-flamer.JPG
post #557 of 28850 Old 09-05-2007, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjayw View Post

First time posting, but long time reading.

I've pretty much made up my mind on getting the 71, but my question is on size. Is there any inherant issues/differences with screen size. From what I've been reading here, it seems that it depends on how far back you'll be sitting that should determine the screen size (around 8 or 9 ft for me). But I'm not sure if there are differences (artifacts / refresh rates / studdering / etc) that become more problematic as the screen size increases. I would like to get the 52, even with the 46 price being sooo attractive, so is there any difference PQ wise?

Thanks in advance

If you can afford it get a 52", it will enhance your viewing pleasure. As far as the larger size maybe having more PQ problems, IMO it doesn't really come into play on a 52". Normally a larger screen size may show more of the deficiencies of an SD signal but that pertains to sizes 60" and above. A 46"/52" will be about the same however the larger screen size will be more benficial especially watching HD and Blue Ray.
post #558 of 28850 Old 09-05-2007, 02:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borf View Post

Why don't you just use this next time:

http://www.pipersprecisionproducts.c...MVC-flamer.JPG

Naaaw, that thread will die out once everyone realizes they accomplished absolutely nothing.
post #559 of 28850 Old 09-05-2007, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Naaaw, that thread will die out once everyone realizes they accomplished absolutely nothing.

Idiots i tell ya.
post #560 of 28850 Old 09-05-2007, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Those guys over at the 177 thread high-five'n all over the place...something about how the LX177 looks so much better than the 71 based on some stupid planet earth pics.
post #561 of 28850 Old 09-05-2007, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

maybe noise reduction will diminish the blurring problem with sports on this tv. I noticed it alot watching tennis in hd last night.

If I cant find the solution soon, this tv may be going back.
post #562 of 28850 Old 09-05-2007, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They come in here to kill time while they are whitewashing their TV to get rid of the IR.

post #563 of 28850 Old 09-05-2007, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

maybe noise reduction will diminish the blurring problem with sports on this tv. I noticed it alot watching tennis in hd last night.

If I cant find the solution soon, this tv may be going back.

Sharpjunkie has watched a ton of TV on the 71. Has he ever mentioned this blurring effect you're seeing? I looked for it on the set at Best Buy, and couldn't see it on the store feed.
post #564 of 28850 Old 09-05-2007, 08:43 AM

so i just got my 4671, can anyone more knowledgeable than me tell me what the purpose of the ferrite core i got with the tv is?
post #565 of 28850 Old 09-05-2007, 09:26 AM

Is it possible to get 1:1 pixel matching with DVI->HDMI on my HTPC? I have plugged my ATI X1900XTX in thru DVI->HDMI and the picture doesn't look that great. It's set at 1920x1080 but the TV squashes it down a bit, there's about a 1/4 inch border all around my desktop, and text is not clear, due to the fact that it is not perfect 1:1 pixel matching.

Then from DVI->D-sub the colors don't look at great, and the contrast appears to be lacking. It is perfect 1:1 pixel matching though.
post #566 of 28850 Old 09-05-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD33 View Post

Is it possible to get 1:1 pixel matching with DVI->HDMI on my HTPC? I have plugged my ATI X1900XTX in thru DVI->HDMI and the picture doesn't look that great. It's set at 1920x1080 but the TV squashes it down a bit, there's about a 1/4 inch border all around my desktop, and text is not clear, due to the fact that it is not perfect 1:1 pixel matching.

Then from DVI->D-sub the colors don't look at great, and the contrast appears to be lacking. It is perfect 1:1 pixel matching though.

Sound like the same problems I had with my ATI card on my LNT4661. I think there are bugs in the drivers. Which version are you running? Try setting the refresh rate to something higher than 60Hz (like 75Hz or 120Hz). That solved the problem for me, but there are other fixes that people have discussed somewhere else on the forum. Try searching for ATI and underscan.

Keep in mind that the output will not actually be at 120Hz, but the drivers are misleading that way. They're actually still outputting 60Hz.
post #567 of 28850 Old 09-05-2007, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

the "double ball" effect on the 71 series is annoying, is there any way to stop this. Was really noticable last night when watching tennis in HD.

It appears there are a few people who already have this tv, any luck.
post #568 of 28850 Old 09-05-2007, 09:59 AM

Well, I made a made dash to pick up my 5271. Set it up with PS3 and DTV (all SD though). I didn't have a chance to check out the blurriness of tennis/footballs yet, but it's high priority. I do have a couple of flashlights in the top corners. Noticeable in Letterbox movie, but not sure I want to return it just for these. Glare doesn't seem to be a worry afterall. TV is a piece of art...just fun to look at.

I bought Happy Feet on BR (I know, I know but I wanted get something for my wife). So I did some minor tweaks, put the TV in movie mode. Played around with the backlight and contrast a little. This was my first BR, so I knew it would look good. Some of the pictures looked absolutely 3D. Snow and glaciers looked amazingly detailed. The depth of color was really cool. There are a couple of dark scenes, and even with the lights on in the room, the black feathers of the penguins coats still looked deep in the dark scenes. Can't testify that this is just the Sammy or just the BR. Sure seemed like the 71 was making BR all the better though.

Many might not be familar with Happy Feet, but the opening of the movie has some big flying over landscape IMAX like scenes. This might be a bad thing to some, and a testament to the quality of the TV, but I got downright dizzy. I'm about 7 feet from the TV, and I had to close my eyes at one point. Kind of made me second guess the size sadly. I turned off the automotion and watched the opening again. Didn't look as 3D, but I also felt less dizzy. I'm going to have to play around with this on other movies and especially games. Can't have people puking on my new TV. I might have to readjust where I put the TV, but thankfully that's an option. What's the consensus here: 7' from a 46 or 9' from a 52? Assuming that 7' from a 52 makes makes me spew.

SD looked as good as SD can. Don't plan on using this TV for that much SD viewing. Mainly games and BR and HD cable.

So far, I would be extremely surprised if my eyes could discern any difference between the XBR4 and the 71. Maybe somethings would look better on one, and not the other. Nervous about the blurring of sports that people are mentioning, but it seems like this is all happening over DTV boxes. Those things do all sorts of compression and processing, so they could be the culprit. I get macroblocking on my SA8300 watching episodes of Planet Earth I recorded or watching ESPNHD.

On an aside, I'm going to play the BR on my older LCD to see if it is still jaw-dropping.
post #569 of 28850 Old 09-05-2007, 10:00 AM

Set 4671 up last night pretty quickly and noticed too out of the box the reds and greens were a bit off. Will try the settings recommended tonight. I have not watched sports yet but sincerely hope there is not blurring with fast motion, I primarily purchased this for sports. I was wondering about the ferrite core as well Owen, I read the manual and you wrap it around cables utilizing the side panel jacks to prevent noise interference.
post #570 of 28850 Old 09-05-2007, 10:29 AM

I have the 4671 on order from a local store. It should arrive in a week or two. I'm debating whether I should cancel the order due to the issue of blurry/double vision for sports programming. Would like to get more opinions on this problem and whether it can be corrected with setting adjustment.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page