Official Samsung LNT-xx71f Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post

I'm doing that now with a 4671 and a Pioneer Kuro. The LCD with its "120hz hack" is holding up pretty well (in that regard anyway).

Nice! Can you try it with an FPS like Airborne demo or bioshock? (Unless you use a PC then any will do).
When you try to look left and right real fast (swining the mouse left/right abruptly) do you get distortion? I do expect a little of course but unless the console/PC is the bottleneck it shouldn't be too bad...

Try the 120Hz set with the 120Hz feature at OFF to see if it's really helping.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CadJoe View Post

Seems the are expecting people to use it for sports, as in HD 1080i SAT, and others saying it works with 1080p BD. So it doesn't look like it will do very good below 1080i.

This would seem to make sense since most HD sports is broadcast at 720, just to avoid the motion problems, but some users are reporting mouse trails effect regardless of settings.

all is good....LNT4671 1005/1001 SQ01 w/old PS3 80G,Oppo 83 & 2400ES into Mirage OS3FS
post #633 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 11:34 AM

How does the 4671 hidef look compared against the 5084 (Samsung plasma)
?

And would the 5084 plasma not play games as good as the 4671?
post #634 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooZ View Post

Nice! Can you try it with an FPS like Airborne demo or bioshock? (Unless you use a PC then any will do).
When you try to look left and right real fast (swining the mouse left/right abruptly) do you get distortion? I do expect a little of course but unless the console/PC is the bottleneck it shouldn't be too bad...

Try the 120Hz set with the 120Hz feature at OFF to see if it's really helping.

Thanks,

The Ninja Gaiden Sigma test is more effective than either of those games for detecting motion blur. NGS is a 1080p native 60fps locked game so it is perfect for testing blur on a 1080p TV. The best place to test for blur is on level one where two ninja ambush you from above, after beating them take a look at the trees and spin the camera around and any detail lost in the trees is motion blur. On an HD CRT there is no loss of detail or stuttering at all. This is a great test for any HDTV that will be used for gaming (there is a free demo on the PSN that works just as well)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #635 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 02:41 PM

I just ordered my Samsung 4671F, and I am BIG TIME excited about it! I would like to personally thank sharpjunkie for all the helpful info. I was debating between the 65 and the 81, and never even considered the 71 at first. I was monitoring the prices on these tvs and the 71 went to $700+ below MSRP, so I pulled the trigger. The 65 was only about $500 cheaper, and from what I've read on this forum, the extra cost will be well worth it. This will be my first HDTV, (upgrading from a 36" CRT), so I think regardless of which tv I bought, I should be blown away.

Thanks to everyone else on this forum as well. I'm a noob at this HDTV stuff, but I will try and post my impressions once I get her up and running.

------------------------------
TV: Samsung LNT4671F
BD-DVD: Oppo BDP-83
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR606
Logitech Revue (Google TV)
Cisco 8640HDC DVR (v. ODN 4.0.2_4)
post #636 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Amp works great for me on low when watching standard DVDs. Gives the the feeling of blu ray. U dont need to use amp for blu ray. U are allready watching it in 1080p24. If u turn on amp on blu ray you just get the soap opera drama smoothness which dwfeats 1080p24 for movies. But its great on low for planet earth. There is no opc feature. Its ppintless to have that as it completley ruins your calibrations. Plus you should always be using bias lights with these new sets as they are so bright. Watching in pitch black is bad for your eyes and your headache. Speakers cqn be turned off in the menu quite easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovy View Post

1.Now this is really getting confusing. What is the purpose of auto motion plus (AMP) if not to get rid of blurriness and double images ( similar to the Windows special effects "mouse trails") on all sources? Does AMP only work on BD/HD players? Or does it only work on HD cable but only in certain modes?
To date there seems to be NO definitive answer to this...for some people the AM works great, but only on Low and only on BD, for others it only works on OTA HD, for some it works on nothing and for some both AMP "ON" or "OFF" do nothing to get rid of those double images/blurriness or mouse trails effect during tennis and football.

What is the correct scenario for AMP to work properly, and if one cannot do that scenario, how does one prevent blurriness and doubling with AMP off?

2.Can the internal speakers be turned OFF so as not to interfere with dolby 5.1 sound from a receiver ( using HDMI from cable box to HDMI on the 71)

3.Does the 71 have auto backlight dimming (ie. when the room lights go off, the TV picture dims )? This would be similar to Sharp's OPC.
If not, do you have to always go into the menu to manually dim the set to make it more suitable for night time viewing?

Answers to these questions are greatly appreciated.

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
post #637 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpjunkie View Post

There is no opc feature. Its ppintless to have that as it completley ruins your calibrations. Plus you should always be using bias lights with these new sets as they are so bright. Watching in pitch black is bad for your eyes and your headache. Speakers cqn be turned off in the menu quite easily.

OPC on my Sharps are probably the worst feature especially if you have a bright room where lighting fluctuates (be glad you don't have it) - I've tried it a few times but I hate it and leave it off on all of mine as it gets annoying when it arbitrarily adjusts the PQ while your viewing something. Buggs me when I see BB have it turned on in the stores since they are failing to truly demo what the panel can truly do with a human being adjusting it no processor chip is going to meet the personal preference of one's eye's IMO.

I would much prefer a friggin volume adjustment feature that would limit CBS and local ad's suddenly blaring the volume and my wife screaming like a Banshee assuming that I did it. Now that's a time when I'd like to drop a Turd on the folks at CBS and local Comcast.

Samsung 75HU8550w/SEK-3500-UHDVideoPk, 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Philips Folio Soundbar
XBoxOne/360, FPS's Borderlands 1/2, EDF 2017/2025, Halo's
post #638 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 04:59 PM

I am watching the Cincinnati / Oregon St. game now on ESPN HD. There is no "tracers" or ghosting on fast motion. I have the Motion setting on "low". I must admit that I know I have a less than stellar signal from my cable line (Comcast) for I had to re-wire my kitchen for a separate HD line off of the usual "daisy chain" the contractors do here in Naples, FL. I wired the kitchen to have 2 lines, one for a cable modem and one for TV. I have a smaller LCD flat panel in this room. My AV room is part of the original daisy chain, and the signal is surprisingly stellar. Football looks amazing!!!!!! I am not sure if it is the TV for the people who reported issues with fast motion, like sports. Hope this helps.
post #639 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Amp works great for me on low when watching standard DVDs. Gives the the feeling of blu ray. U dont need to use amp for blu ray. U are allready watching it in 1080p24. If u turn on amp on blu ray you just get the soap opera drama smoothness which dwfeats 1080p24 for movies. But its great on low for planet earth. There is no opc feature. Its ppintless to have that as it completley ruins your calibrations. Plus you should always be using bias lights with these new sets as they are so bright. Watching in pitch black is bad for your eyes and your headache. Speakers cqn be turned off in the menu quite easily.

thanks for the response sharp

all is good....LNT4671 1005/1001 SQ01 w/old PS3 80G,Oppo 83 & 2400ES into Mirage OS3FS
post #640 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Pulled the trigger this day and got great price from a local B&M for only a few cent more than the place we like to BUYxxx from.
Made it clear to them that I would bring my own DVD player and test disks(TVBlink+DVE) and plan to spend up to 1 hour checking it out before signing off, and not even 1 dead pixel would be acceptable.PM me for cost details.

Has anybody taken out the extended warranty from the seller or from on-line? Any suggestions?

post #641 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovy View Post

Has anybody taken out the extended warranty from the seller or from on-line? Any suggestions?

I'm going to get the mack warranty, 3 additional years for great price.

Mack Warranty
post #642 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 06:44 PM

are there any calibration thread for the 71?? anyone have any good calibration they want to share?? I just bought a 4071 on impulse buying. hehehe
post #643 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 06:45 PM

What a good setting to use the 120hz for watching sport?
post #644 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 06:49 PM

I have switched the AMP between all settings for live football, there is a minimal change between low and high. Off is is weird. Medium seems best.
post #645 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binnn4 View Post

are there any calibration thread for the 71?? anyone have any good calibration they want to share?? I just bought a 4071 on impulse buying. hehehe

I bought my 4071 on Monday and I've been messing with the settings ever since. I would love to get a good calibration list from someone.

Anyone have anything they've started work on yet?
post #646 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 07:19 PM

although i have only had the 4071 for a hour, i have notice the blurriness with the football and goftball while watching sport. also there seem to be black crush. it might just be my setting or that i'm watching sd and not hd.
post #647 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binnn4 View Post

are there any calibration thread for the 71??

Seems good starting point is same as 65 series + AMP settings depending on source quality.

71 calibration thread
post #648 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

hey football is on tonight, can u guys check to see if you get the blurriness with the football then if you do put it in game mode and see if that solves the triple football image, thanks, I'm at work so I can't to the test!

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
post #649 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

The Ninja Gaiden Sigma test is more effective than either of those games for detecting motion blur. NGS is a 1080p native 60fps locked game so it is perfect for testing blur on a 1080p TV. The best place to test for blur is on level one where two ninja ambush you from above, after beating them take a look at the trees and spin the camera around and any detail lost in the trees is motion blur. On an HD CRT there is no loss of detail or stuttering at all. This is a great test for any HDTV that will be used for gaming (there is a free demo on the PSN that works just as well)

Not true.
There will be that kind of stuttering or judder on every TV. 120hz is supposed to get rid of this.

Can we identify what this doubling effect is? Is it judder or it is a new motion artifact?

Some examples...

Panasonic plasma:

There is a doubling/judder effect in the fast motion of the ball.

Some random Plasma or CRT capture a few months ago in a fast panning scene:

This is what judder is right?
That exactly the same effect on my tube CRT TV with really fast panning motions in games.

Samsung 81 with LEDmotion OFF:

From Sharpjunkies pics, this is definitely the same effect like with all the others.

Samsung 71 with automotion OFF:

Same effect as with every TV, see the left side of the screen how everything doubles when in motion just like in the 81 Samsung & the Panasonic panels.

Samsung 71 with automotion ON:

Suppoably this was shot while in motion & it is the only one with no judder/stuttering effects.

So can anyone clarify if what they are seeing is what is in those pics or a completely different doubling effect?
post #650 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 09:06 PM

Hi folks,

Just picked up the TV today and did a quick check for dead/stuck pixels. On a black screen I found 4 that are white. Didn't do the other colors yet because don't have a cable for the computer hook up.

How many have others found, if I'm the only schmuck that has stuck pixels, I may return it. Obviously, the TV is big that the pixels are not noticeable but I don't want to be the only one with a lemon.

I have the 52" BTW
post #651 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I had one white pixel that I can't find anymore. Try that pixel scrubber program I don't know where to find it. Let the tv be a tv for a few days then look for them. You should expect some with soo many. I know its not acceptable but I would trade 4 pixels for clouds any day.

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
post #652 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 10:07 PM

Geez, someone must have watched football tonight, right? I'd love to get an answer on this double ball thing. My set only arrives next week.
post #653 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:

hey football is on tonight, can u guys check to see if you get the blurriness with the football then if you do put it in game mode and see if that solves the triple football image, thanks, I'm at work so I can't to the test!

I dvr'd the game and was able to review each pass that was blurry. I messed with all the settings I thought would make a difference, and the only one the eliminated it was GAME mode. I was speaking with leostephen about this, and we both agree that since game mode eliminates the blur, it must be the tv processing causing the double vision, and not the source. Otherwise it would be blurry no matter the mode. I still have not tried OTA, I think leostephen is trying that next. Not encouraging, but I am not sure if the picture is that much worse with game mode on. So I might keep it. I think the question to ask myself is the 71 in game mode better than the 65 in regular? I dunno. We will see.
post #654 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copelandcf View Post

I dvr'd the game and was able to review each pass that was blurry. I messed with all the settings I thought would make a difference, and the only one the eliminated it was GAME mode. I was speaking with leostephen about this, and we both agree that since game mode eliminates the blur, it must be the tv processing causing the double vision, and not the source. Otherwise it would be blurry no matter the mode. I still have not tried OTA, I think leostephen is trying that next. Not encouraging, but I am not sure if the picture is that much worse with game mode on. So I might keep it. I think the question to ask myself is the 71 in game mode better than the 65 in regular? I dunno. We will see.

Wow, that sucks I wonder if this is something that could be fixed through firmware. I guess probably not. Kinda strange considering this is the official tv of the nfl.
post #655 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Looks like I'm late to the party, but the only way I could eliminate the "triple sword" effect in Ninja Gaiden Sigma was to turn on GAME mode. Any other combination of settings gave the effect of having 3 swords as you rotated the character.

I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that the same image processing error is at work creating multiple footballs and tennis balls.
post #656 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copelandcf View Post

Ha ha, I knew it, I knew that would fix it. I am soooo glad that you tried it in game mode. Thanks. So now we found a problem and a fix so now we need to find out more to the story. Hope it is like the HDMI drop out fix. We need more folks to test it. I have OTA HD and will have to wait till sunday to try it OTA...

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
post #657 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:

Ha ha, I knew it, I knew that would fix it. I am soooo glad that you tried it in game mode. Thanks. So now we found a problem and a fix so now we need to find out more to the story. Hope it is like the HDMI drop out fix. We need more folks to test it. I have OTA HD and will have to wait till sunday to try it OTA...

How is the rest of the picture in game mode? Am I correct in assuming that it would be unacceptable as the permanent solution?

Thanks a lot to all of you guys testing this issue.
post #658 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys, I'm almost ready to get the 71. It blew me away in CC today. But the glare in CC was pretty bad too. My room won't be nearly so bright, with the only windows being behind the set and mostly obscured by leaves.

So, from the owners, how is the glare during daytime viewing? This is the one hangup I have to get past before I get one of these.

Samsung BD-UP5000 (1.3), Samsung 4671 (1013.1), Denon AVR-3808CI, HTD Level 3 5.1
Denon AVR-3300, Denon PMA-700V, Advent Loudspeakers
post #659 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by terra99pin View Post

How is the rest of the picture in game mode? Am I correct in assuming that it would be unacceptable as the permanent solution?

Thanks a lot to all of you guys testing this issue.

Game mode massively limits your tweaking ability if nothing else.
post #660 of 28855 Old 09-06-2007, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post

Game mode massively limits your tweaking ability if nothing else.

You can't use game mode on OTA input rf input

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page