post #811 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpey326 View Post

game mode is grayed out unless you are in standard mode I believe

I just put the television in standard mode but the game mode is still grayed out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
trying turing 120hz off
post #813 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPapadopoulos16 View Post

I just put the television in standard mode but the game mode is still grayed out?

What are you feeding the TV with? What kind of cable?
post #814 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 11:02 AM

First, let me say how much I appreciate the AVS Forum and the information all of youhave posted. It is an invaluable service. Many thanks to all of you.

After 2 years researching and comparing, wife and I finally purchased the 4671 from cc Aug 27. We were ready to purchase the XBR2 last Fall, but thanks to the AVS forum on clouding, we didn't, thank goodness! We were ready to purchase the LNT4665f by Spring, but didn't because of the early HDMI problems. We were still waiting for a June or later build for the 4665 in our area when the 71 series came out, and because the initial reviews on AVS we decided at last to make the plunge. Couldn't be more satisfied. This set is incredible.

When we went to cc to pick up our unit (a mere 4 hour drive away...we live in the middle of nowhere!) we had a good chance to compare the 4671 with an XBR4. They had the two sets in a fairly dark corner with both of them set on ESPNHD. They were both calibrated well, and both set on dynamic mode, and although not side by side, they were only about 15 feet apart, making a decent comparison possible. After 20 minutes of walking back and forth we both came to the same conclusion, to us they looked identical. Both very impressive. Picked up our unit, and after another 4 hour drive, arrived home in time to plug it in.... Absolutely amazing.

Experiences So Far

We have had Dish Network for many years because other than satellite there is no TV reception here. Saturday we were upgraded to DishHD with a 622 DVR receiver, our old unit was a DP311T receiver. We have also just purchased an Oppo 981HD upconverter.

Dish Network

SD

Because of various AVS forum posts, particularly on the XBR4 thread, and numerous personal past experiences in the big box stores comparing HD to SD Direct TV reception, we were prepared for a less than impressive experience in looking at SD. However, after a week of flipping through the channels I can say that while some channels are better than others, depending on the source material, overall the standard definition is good, in many cases very good. In fact, on some material the picture is so good, we keep asking ourselves if it is really just SD. Have found that the PQ will also vary considerably on a single channel as the source material changes, particularly between various commercials. In our opinion there is no comparison with the PQ you see from the SD satellite feed in the big box stores with what we are getting on our own unit; much, much better.

Find that standard mode right out of the box was best for us for SD with a little tweaking up and down on the contrast, brightness, and backlight depending on the source material and whether we are watching with the lights on or off.

HD

Overall, HD on our 4671 is excellent; ranging from very good to stunning, again depending on the source material. Really like the VOOM channels, whose PQ are exceptionally good, with the Equator, Rush, Ultra, and Gallery channels offering up material that you would swear was 1080p coming off of HD-DVD or BluRay. Watch most HD in standard mode, occasionally using movie mode for some HD movies. Again, like SD, the default settings seem to be very good most of the time with a little tweaking here and there depending upon the source material and whether we are watching with a lighted or darkened room.

Oppo 981

Decided to get the Oppo 981HD upconverter based on AVS and other reviews. Will probably pick up a HD-DVD player when the new models come out.

We first popped in regular DVD of the first Pirates of the Caribbean, and the results were outstanding. Totally satisfied; if I didn't know it was an upconverted DVD, I would have sworn it was HD. Managed to view two more movies before the remote quit. Both movies upconverted beautifully like POTC. Called Oppo and they put a new replacement remote in the post the same day. Will be testing further over the weekend.

Use movie mode for the Oppo, as we always watch movies in total darkness. Default settings seem very good, with just a little tweaking of contrast and brightness depending on the movie.

Miscellaneous findings

Blank screen with no source material is even black with no clouds or mura. Very slight lightening of screen in extreme top right and left corners, but not enough to be considered flashlights They are only visible in totally darkened room and never while watching source material. Lowering backlight and brightness essentially eliminates them, but they do not interfere with viewing in any way.

Have had no problem with PQ noise that some have reported, and in watching the tennis and football channels in HD do not see any doubling or blurring of balls in motion. Just a thought could the doubling, tripling or blurring of balls in motion be related to either the cable or satellite set top box people are using? Perhaps a poll of what people are using vs. those problem?

Default color is great, very lifelike and natural. Blacks are as black should be with none of the gray haze I have seen on other units.

Never use Dynamic mode; too gaudy for us!

Have Auto Motion Plus mostly in Off, but for fast action movies change to Low. Have experienced no motion problems at all; nice and smooth.

Glossy screen is not a problem for us. We like the added sharpness and enhanced blacks it gives. During the day when there are reflections on the screen from either windows or lights in the room when the set is turned off, we notice all but the very brightest cannot be seen when the set is turned on.

Hope this is of some use to those of you out there contemplating a purchase. And, thanks to all of you Forum members out there; you have made this purchase a much more enjoyable experience than it might have been!
post #815 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 11:08 AM

I created another gray calibration file higher res & I took this one up to 80.

EDIT: Ok, I got bored and made one with BOTH whites & grays too.

CadJoe

gray80v.zip 39.869140625k . file

gray&white80v.zip 90.8642578125k . file
post #816 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielvr23 View Post
I am very new to this forum. Does anyone know the exact dimensions (spacing between) of the 4 vesa mounting holes in the back of the 52" 71 series. What is the spacing in inches between the 4 vesa mounting holes. I am hoping someone can tell me the answer to this because I have been searching weeks for the answer but can't find it anywhere on the web. The local Circuit City has the tv on display but it is mounted up high so I can't go and measure it.

Thanks

Answered my own question with a little research.
Will the Sanus VWAA26 support the 52er. Looks like it will with 130# load and the TV is 70.11# (uses M8 screws). Is anyone else using and happy with it?

Samsung LN-T5271F User Manual (Ver.1.0) from Samsung web site: 50 Meg
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...&cttID=1584431

Sanus Systems web page: http://www.sanus.com/us/en/products/...lMotionMounts/

Wall mount the LN-T5271F info.doc 420.5k . file
post #817 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 01:50 PM

I was watching football at BB (5271) and could see the "triple football effect" each time there was an intermediate or long pass. I asked the salesperson for the remote, but could not find "game mode" on the main menu. Under "Picture" and then "Mode," I'm given 3 options "Standard, "Movie" and "Vivid" (or something like that). Game Mode was not an option.

Where is it?
post #818 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 01:55 PM

Thanks again. You wouldn't believe how long I have been searching for the answer to this question. I have the Sanus pffp2b which I brought because I was originally going to buy the sony 46xbr5 until I saw the samsung 71 in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Red View Post

Answered my own question with a little research.
Will the Sanus VWAA26 support the 52er. Looks like it will with 130# load and the TV is 70.11# (uses M8 screws). Is anyone else using and happy with it?

Samsung LN-T5271F User Manual (Ver.1.0) from Samsung web site: 50 Meg
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...&cttID=1584431

Sanus Systems web page: http://www.sanus.com/us/en/products/...lMotionMounts/

post #819 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gables View Post

I was watching football at BB (5271) and could see the "triple football effect" each time there was an intermediate or long pass. I asked the salesperson for the remote, but could not find "game mode" on the main menu. Under "Picture" and then "Mode," I'm given 3 options "Standard, "Movie" and "Vivid" (or something like that). Game Mode was not an option.

Where is it?

It's under the Setup tab.
post #820 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

What are you feeding the TV with? What kind of cable?

I am using a coax cable feed through the wall and it is comcast cable
post #821 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 03:23 PM

ive got the 7251, was just watching SD-Chi NFL. rivers pass to the end zone from about the 30 blurred bad, so i rewinded it and turned on AMP hi. nothing changed. tried other settings, nothing changed. just kind of wondering, it might be the source???
post #822 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 03:32 PM

another question... if my 5271 can play blue ray 300 and TMNT perfectly with no hesitations, then why wouldn't it be able to display HD Football perfectly? It must be the source.
post #823 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS5255 View Post

another question... if my 5271 can play blue ray 300 and TMNT perfectly with no hesitations, then why wouldn't it be able to display HD Football perfectly? It must be the source.

It is a wierd thing. Maybe the tv doesn't like the color brown. The only fix for it thusfar is to turn the tv to Game Mode in your setup settings. Game mode is not available in the coaxial RF input. So if you are using OTA you are not able to use game mode. Remember this IS the tv of the NFL this year so I am sure it will get fixed.

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
post #824 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 04:05 PM

so far, i have seen nothing but stuttering caused by AMP. i just did a definitive test on the bright white UPS commercial with the guy drawing on a dry erase board. it stuttered horribly. i checked my settings, and AMP was on HIGH. i turned it off, rewinded it, NO stuttering. i then tried it on LOW, and it stuttered again. i think amp might just be for super high gaming or something, other than that it seems to cause nothing but flaws for me.
post #825 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 05:16 PM

I have seen the long ball blurring effect now in HD with football, and in tennis as well. Since I am picking up HD OTA I guess I cannot adjust this. Hopefully maybe a firmware can adjust this, even though I am not exactly sure how it would. For gaming and Blu-ray, I am thoroughly impressed, but this blurring effect is something that doesn't seem that acceptable to me, as even other HDTV's and standard TVs don't suffer from this effect.
post #826 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Saw it three times in an NFL game today. Watched all of the Federer match and never saw it once. So for me it's no big deal, but per slumpey I put the TV into game mode and made some adjustments and I'm getting a great picture for sports which I'm going to use. Then I'll simply turn off game mode for everything else(using Wood's HDMI settings and it's a beautiful picture). Game mode for sports really pops and like some others have said, the slight blur on the ball goes away. I encourage everyone to call Samsung and report this issue. It's not bothering me, and I don't think its a big deal, but it's definitely something that goes away when game mode is enabled, so it should be correctable. But they wont correct it if they dont hear a lot about it.

Watching Giants-Cowboys on NBC HD right now in game mode and it looks amazing on my 5271. I've been a plasma owner up until now so I'm not used to having white actually be white. Amazing picture. Great job, Samsung.
post #827 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I am sticking with standard mode and game mode on for everything. the picture looks great. Watched most of the tennis in hd today and no triple ball effect at all. None on football either.

Yesterday when I watched tennis without game mode on, you could see this effect during long rallies. Same with football. It was so annoying.
post #828 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 06:08 PM

do any of you guys know a vga replacement cable that can support WUXGA because i want to display my laptop desktop in the 71 native resolution.
post #829 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 06:23 PM
BKC

two questions

1 i'm currently using component frmo my comcast cable box to tv. if i use hdmi, will i notice any real improvement?

2 does this tv require a break in period/setting like the 5084 plasma i had?
post #830 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 06:24 PM

I'm watching Cowboys right now in HD OTA, and am getting I would describe as fuzz in the blues and especially in closeups. Any advice about that? Also, can someone point me to Wood's HDMI settings? I've seen it referenced but haven't found the link.
post #831 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 07:29 PM
cmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalt45 View Post

I'm watching Cowboys right now in HD OTA, and am getting I would describe as fuzz in the blues and especially in closeups. Any advice about that? Also, can someone point me to Wood's HDMI settings? I've seen it referenced but haven't found the link.

71-series calibration thread is here.
post #832 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalt45 View Post

NBC is compressing the hell out of that signal - they are the only HD Football Broadcast where I see this occur but tonight it's horrid. Been watching Golf and football all day without a single issue but this broadcast is horrendous - NBC Sunday Night is the weakest of all IMO. In fact this is the worst HD I've seen in the past 2 yrs - reminds you of when sun spot events occur so I changed the channel as my team already won today which is a rare treat.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #833 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 07:52 PM

Ohh, no wonder.

GAME mode is for:

Football game, Baseball game, Hockey game, Basketball game, tennis game...hehehehe

Maybe the foreign language translation to english didn't work right, instead of GAME mode maybe it should have been SPORTS mode... hehehe
post #834 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadJoe View Post

Ohh, no wonder.

GAME mode is for:

Football game, Baseball game, Hockey game, Basketball game, tennis game...hehehehe

Maybe the foreign language translation to english didn't work right, instead of GAME mode maybe it should have been SPORTS mode... hehehe

Heheh, all I know is that game mode looks really good. I was using Wood's settings, but I'm not going back to those. I paused a Heinekin beer ad in HD and then switched between game mode and Wood's settings and was shocked that the can wasn't green using Wood's settings. The can looked amazing in game mode.
post #835 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You guys catch the latest Samsung 71 commercial during Giants, Cowboys game?

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
post #836 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

.. was using Wood's settings, but I'm not going back to those.

Can you post your current GAME mode settings in the Calibration thread?

Just thought that the blurring might help "FIND" the hockey puck.. hehe

Thanks,

CadJoe
post #837 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by binnn4 View Post

do any of you guys know a vga replacement cable that can support WUXGA because i want to display my laptop desktop in the 71 native resolution.

VGA should be able to do it, but I'd recommend using a DVI to HDMI cable instead. You'll get a sharper picture that way.

http://www.datapro.net/products/dvi-...deo-cable.html

Samsung BD-UP5000 (1.3), Samsung 4671 (1013.1), Denon AVR-3808CI, HTD Level 3 5.1
Denon AVR-3300, Denon PMA-700V, Advent Loudspeakers
post #838 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I'm having some interesting issues with motion blur in dim areas, especially in Halo and Halo 2. In case it matters, the signal is coming from an original Xbox via component in 480p.

I see no blur when the entire scene is bright, and very little blur of bright objects on a dark background. But I see tons of blur in shadow details (dark on dark), especially when I turn my character.

Using 120Hz makes larger features easier to follow (such as straight lines) while using Game Mode seems to make smaller features easy to follow (such as dirt textures viewed at a distance). But even with either of these on, the blur is pretty bad.

Anyone else experience motion blur in darkness? Better yet, did anyone have this issue and find a fix?

Edit: It nobody else is seeing this, it could just be my eyes not following tiny shapes in the darkness very well.

Samsung BD-UP5000 (1.3), Samsung 4671 (1013.1), Denon AVR-3808CI, HTD Level 3 5.1
Denon AVR-3300, Denon PMA-700V, Advent Loudspeakers
post #839 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post

VGA should be able to do it, but I'd recommend using a DVI to HDMI cable instead. You'll get a sharper picture that way.

http://www.datapro.net/products/dvi-...deo-cable.html

What is the recommended cable length limit? I have a Nvidia 7900GS. Can you go 15ft or longer?
post #840 of 28850 Old 09-09-2007, 11:03 PM

Can AMP 120hz be used at all when game mode is on? If not, that kind of defeats the purpose of this set, which was marketed as being excellent with motion handling and blur.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page