post #91 of 28850 Old 08-21-2007, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpjunkie View Post

Let's get to overscan. On vga I only have 2 options, 16x9 and 4x3. Just scan is grayed out but then again there is no overscan whatsoever.

Yep, I commented on this in another thread. In PC mode in the menu of the 61 series there is an option in the Setup menu for Home Theater PC which I set to on, it gives you some picture options, I use Movie mode even in PC mode. Also, in the Setup>PC menu there is Image lock, I think the coarse adjusts the frequency and the fine the phase, to get the text crisp. The coarse slightly affects the size, and also vga is analog so I think it is appropriate to not equate this with Just Scan, it is not 1:1 mapping. However, using a test pattern that shows individual lines at 1920x1080, the fine lock can adjust out all noise, then the text will be sharp. I assume the same applies to the 71 series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 28850 Old 08-21-2007, 11:08 PM

Liked: 10
hey sharpjunkie, did u get around to tyring the COD2 demo?
post #93 of 28850 Old 08-21-2007, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_1080p View Post

Yep, I commented on this in another thread. In PC mode in the menu of the 61 series there is an option in the Setup menu for Home Theater PC which I set to on, it gives you some picture options, I use Movie mode even in PC mode. Also, in the Setup>PC menu there is Image lock, I think the coarse adjusts the frequency and the fine the phase, to get the text crisp. The coarse slightly affects the size, and also vga is analog so I think it is appropriate to not equate this with Just Scan, it is not 1:1 mapping. However, using a test pattern that shows individual lines at 1920x1080, the fine lock can adjust out all noise, then the text will be sharp. I assume the same applies to the 71 series.

Yeah I am like 7-10 feet away and I can't see a damn thing on that screen. It is so small at 1080p at that resolution. If I get to around 5 I can see it perfectly otherwise I am almost squinting to read the tiny letters. It is like an eye exam from way over here...

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
post #94 of 28850 Old 08-21-2007, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007craft View Post

hey sharpjunkie, did u get around to tyring the COD2 demo?

Yeah I posted about it earlier, what did you want to know? I tried it with motionplus off, low, med, and high. Artifacts on high, med and low looked great, smooth as silk like a PC shooter with high FPS. No tearing or refreshing seen during fast panning while running. Looked flawless. But don't take my word for it.

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
post #95 of 28850 Old 08-21-2007, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Yeah, I use my 4061 at 4', perfect.
Anyway, glad to see happy owners these days.
Last fall -> winter was miserable for many of us.
Good times, courtesy of Samsung.
post #96 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:

Yeah I posted about it earlier, what did you want to know? I tried it with motionplus off, low, med, and high. Artifacts on high, med and low looked great, smooth as silk like a PC shooter with high FPS. No tearing or refreshing seen during fast panning while running. Looked flawless. But don't take my word for it.

thanks. And i will take your word for it lol. I want these sets to come out in canada, so i can buy one. so far i dont think anyone is getting them here until like the 2nd week of september. I cant wait another 2 weeks arg.
post #97 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Forgot that I had downloaded the ridgeracer 1080p demo. Here it is. I popped it in and OMFG. Are you serious? The draw distance is amazing. I could see for miles. I used automotion plus on low and the framerate was soooo smooth. Not one hiccup, not one refresh line. I swear I had 3d glasses on. Sorry for the bad iphone pics. Had to get really close to the screen...

Hey, I own that game and it's nice at 1080P/60fps.

Anyhow, congrats on finally getting a TV that you're happy with. I know it's
been a bumpy ride all year. We should start a 'former d92 owner's club' or
something . The big joke is, those of us who were able to get rid of the
d92 ended up with better TV's, for the most part. I, myself, have decided
to give Pioneer (plasma) a go this time round, especially since the store that I
got credit has only 3 options: Pioneer, Panasonic, or Sharp and there is no
way I am going back to Sharp this year. Well, I do have a 37 inch GP1U
that's pretty nice, but whatever.

By the way, thanks for the link to that Elephant Dream site. I'll use it to
test both my Sharp and the Pioneer (when it arrives in Sept). I have lots
of Blu-Ray movies anyhow. Just to let you know, pick up the hi-def version
of 'Planet Earth' (either BR or HD-DVD). It's pretty fantastic. Oh, and for
your PS3, BUY SUPER STARDUST (online). It's a cool 1080P retro shooter
that your TV will LOVE (and it's mighty fun too!).

Enjoy your set!
post #98 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_1080p View Post

Last fall -> winter was miserable for many of us.

Heh, tell me about it: Clouds, dead pixels, flashlights, banding, red push, etc.
What a difference 3-8 months makes! I don't own a samsung, but it's good to
see so many people are happy/excited with them.
post #99 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post

I'm impressed the 71 series can take a 120Hz input. .

Are you sure this is the case? Direct input would be highly desirable (interpolated frames add lag and artifacts).
Motionplus is greyed out in PC mode - Hmm If this is the first LCD to accept 120fps input from PC, hallelujah

And what's with 3 different levels of "motionplus" - either it interpolates or it doesn't.

post #100 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

1920x1080 @ 120hz? Definitely 8800gtx territory
post #101 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borf View Post

Are you sure this is the case? Direct input would be highly desirable (interpolated frames add lag and artifacts).
Motionplus is greyed out in PC mode - Hmm If this is the first LCD to accept 120fps input from PC, hallelujah

And what's with 3 different levels of "motionplus" - either it interpolates or it doesn't.

I'm pretty sure it interpolates, theres quite a bit of lag with Motionplus on. I dunno though, haven't quite tried hooking it up as a monitor to natively run 1920x1080@120hz yet. I just know motionplus kinda sucks for games.
post #102 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 05:20 AM

I could be wrong, but I highly doubt that this set accepts 120Hz input.

Yes, I know we've seen the screen shot on the last page, but I remember having problems with my ATI card when I had the 4661. There was a problem with the drivers that required me to set the refresh rate to 75Hz or above to get it to display 1080p properly.

So basically, I had my PC stating it was outputting 1080p@75Hz. Even when I set it to 1080p@120Hz the set still displayed the image fine.

I think the ATI driver realized that the set couldn't display 75Hz or 120Hz and in reality was just outputting 60Hz.
post #103 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 05:30 AM

Quote:

I'm impressed the 71 series can take a 120Hz input. The XBR4 cannot as I tried it tonight on my Geforce 6800GT with the latest NVIDIA drivers for Vista 64-bit.

I'm impressed there's a cable that can deliver 120Hz at 1920x1080. That's twice the bandwidth of a normal 1080p signal. Is there some way to be sure that the video card is actually producing 120Hz, rather than simply pretending to do so? I know that I've seen plenty of situations in which Windows claimed to be producing a certain refresh rate while still only pumping out 60Hz or some other default value.

@sharpjunkie: Is there some way you can confirm that the PC is producing 120Hz, so that we can make absolutely sure that the 71 supports that signal? I find it pretty hard to believe that a) a cable can handle that, and b) the 71 can accept it.

On the other hand, if it actually can, that's awesome.
post #104 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeLTron View Post

The 42pz700u has been a real popular seller as of late, blacks are pretty good, but no where near the levels of the 8g's or even the 71's. Comparable to the 65fs. The problem with the Panny is that it doesn't have 120hz and can't do 1080p/24fps. If you want something FULLY featured, then the 71 is for you, but if you don't care for all that stuff or you don't even have equipment that supports HDMI 1.3, 1080p/24fps...then you might want to look at the cheaper 7000u. Motion in general just seems a little better on the 71 though, theres a bit of blurring on the Panny. I know, because I just returned my 50pz750u for the 4671.

The response time of the 71 is 8ms grey to grey. Motion and response time really depends on manufacturer to manufacturer. Response time is still important, just not so much as the 120hz kind of compensates for movement. The TV does accept all of those res/fps.

Well my primary use if for an all around television, 50%TV, 30%Console Gaming, 20%HTPC Use.

I thought the 42PZ700 Panny had it all, no motion blur issues etc (which plagued LCDs). Although I was concerned with all the comments in the Plasma forums like "Plasmas are great and you can game with them but you just have to be careful" WTF!

I don't know about you guys, but I don't get to game everyday, so when I get a chance I usually over indulge and play for hours on end. This often involves playing hours of Tiger Woods/Hockey etc with buddies while drinking copious amounts of Canadian beer and the last thing I want to say to my buddies is "ummmmm Hey guys, we need to turn off the video game now and watch TV for a bit before we can play again"

I really hope this thread doesn't turn out like all the other "New TV" threads. where the first 5 pages talk about how this new television is the greatest thing to ever come on the market and then the last 30 pages talk about all the major short comings, people anxiously hoping for firmware updates to fix demons jumping out of the screen.

Few more weeks with my 27" Zeneith won't hurt I guess.

Updates are awesome,

Cheers,

Detox
post #105 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm impressed the 71 series can take a 120Hz input. The XBR4 cannot as I tried it tonight on my Geforce 6800GT with the latest NVIDIA drivers for Vista 64-bit.

i think it takes a 24hz input and displays at 120hz.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #106 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phigment View Post

I could be wrong, but I highly doubt that this set accepts 120Hz input.

He said TV accepted a 120Hz input, BUT he also said TV displayed a 60Hz on-screen information...
Well, I think chipset (Trident? MediaTek? Micronas? Who knows) can really accept 120Hz inputs, but the controller that drives the TV (and the LCD panel), is still limited to a 60Hz refresh.
Future of LCD panels will be very interesting, I hope manufacturers will soon overcome those technological limits, 60Hz and 8-bit depth (no, they haven't already).

Aut Caesar aut nihil.
post #107 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 07:06 AM

Sorry, I typed the wrong thing. Yes The 71 was much better looking than the 65. The store is on 14st, union sq. It is set up in a booth. It is the 52" model. Let me know what you think.
post #108 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Could someone run a quick motion test? I am curious as to just how much this new 120hz actually improves motion. The test is very simple start up a 1080p 60fps native game (Ninja Gaiden Sigma for PS3 is the best option for this test) Now start a new game and fight your way to the spot where 2 ninja ambush you from above after climbing up the log (finish them off first).

Now comes the test, on a CRT no matter how fast you swing the camera the trees in the background NEVER lose any detail. I am curious as to how much detail will be lost vs. an old CRT HDTV. (I have a old Sanyo 28 inch HDTV that handles this scene perfectly and have yet to see any flat panel come close to matching it.) It might also be a good idea to try out NGS on a CRT first just so you have a reference point since some people don't notice the loss of detail until they have seen a CRT handle it.

Here is a thread about motion blur on LCDs that might be an interesting read through for those interested in LCD motion blur and just how big of a problem it really is.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=853744

Thanks to anyone willing to try this out.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #109 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:

So I finally hooked up my 71 to my HTPC. It was a pain in the ass. I had to connect my old 15inch monitor to my HTPC, trick it into 1080p. I rebooted my pc and had it connected to my 71 but it seems that it kept coming up as 1280x728 and the 71 just kept giving me a blue box with no signal detected message. So I tricked my HTPC. Connected the vga in. Had the wireless mouse on the accept button. Then just pressed the button blind and whala, the tv came one with a distorted image. I rebooted the pc and bam works fine. So as I am typing this I am looking up at the 71 seeing something. The blacks on it look black. The same place on my macbook where it is dark black on the 71, it is gray on my macbook. What a bummer, for my macbook. LOL.

Ok and low and behold I know that alot of you guys were wondering about the whole 120hz for PC. Well I got good news and bad news... I opened up properties and went to the advanced settings. Under monitor it showed 60hz. The box that said hide modes that the monitor can't display was checked. I unchecked it. Then it showed 60 75 100 and 120 hz. I clicked on 120. The screen flashed then went back to normal. Man my mouse moves so fluid in 120hz. I decided to put it back in 60hz. So you can up it to 120 for you HTPC people. The only thing with the VGA output for your pc to the 71, the motionplus is stuck on low and grayed out in all settings. Might have to use dvi-hdmi for HTPC to get better control of the display...

[/IMG]

As you have a computer connected to your 71F could you please collect real time info and post MonInfo (Monitor Asset Manager) report for both D-Sub and HDMI ports! This will provide us with EDID dump!

http://entechtaiwan.net/util/moninfo.shtm

Tnx
AG

EDIT: IMO you are mistaken re 120Hz support. I need to see EDID dump to believe in it. Anyone with 71F or 81F please post Moninfo report for both D-Sub and HDMI (via DVI-HDMI).
post #110 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:

The few things I notice right off the bat is that the pipe he is holding is gray in your picture. In my picture the pipe is blacker.

The "welcome to rapture" sign is not that bright. iPhone cam makes it look like the sun....

Here is proof of 1080p24 ps3 blu ray

are you asking about reflection on the screen or just the actual room and any light seepage from the screen? When the screen is black at night, the room is black. Well i will test that tonight. I have a bunch of bright blue wall lights so i don't run into walls at night so I will unplug those..

Hi all,

Both of these are fabulous. Not trying to stir up trouble, and sharp I know you said you haven't calibrated your set yet. It appears that you are experiencing a little black crush. Look at the horizontal detail mid section of the door (I'm not familiar with this game, so I think it is a door/window) Right at the knob level on the left side. Of course the detail could be there and just not showing in the capture from the phone camera. Anyway awsome looking set.

Dan
post #111 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 09:07 AM

For the people who own this set, how does the Standard def look? I saw this set playing a blue ray and it was awsome! How does the Cable/satalite HD feed look. Does it look almost as good as the Blue ray/Hd-dvd?
post #112 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 10:31 AM

Does this TV use the same ASTC/QAM tuner as the DTB-H260F? I have that box now and its pretty nice, but it does have some nagging issues.
post #113 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech_Geezer View Post

Hi all,

Both of these are fabulous. Not trying to stir up trouble, and sharp I know you said you haven't calibrated your set yet. It appears that you are experiencing a little black crush. Look at the horizontal detail mid section of the door (I'm not familiar with this game, so I think it is a door/window) Right at the knob level on the left side. Of course the detail could be there and just not showing in the capture from the phone camera. Anyway awsome looking set.

Dan

I noticed the same thing but attributed it to the fact the panel may not be calibrated and it's a cell phone used. Below is a screen capture to point out what you were also suggesting-this one from the Kuro capture.
LL

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #114 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

I noticed the same thing but attributed it to the fact the panel may not be calibrated and it's a cell phone used. Below is a screen capture to point out what you were also suggesting-this one from the Kuro capture.

Yep, that was what I was seeing....erhhh....not seeing in sharps pic compared to the Kuro. It gives him something to calibrate to anyway. That is the main reason I mentioned it.
post #115 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok ran that test this is via VGA, im unable to plug the dvi in because I would have to remove my tv and reomove the wall mount to get access to my HTPC. This is at 120hz output from pc allegidly
Monitor
Windows description......... Plug and Play Monitor
Manufacturer description.... SAMSUNG
Manufacturer................ Samsung
————————————————————————————
Plug and Play ID............ SAM032D
Serial number............... n/a
EDID data source............ I2C bus (real-time)
Manufacture date............ 2007, ISO week 25
EDID revision............... 1.3
Display type and signal..... Analog 0.700,0.000 (0.7V p-p)
Sync input support.......... Separate
Screen size................. 1020 x 570 mm (~48")
Power management............ Active off/sleep

Color characteristics
Display gamma............... 2.20
Red chromaticity............ Rx 0.640 - Ry 0.330
Green chromaticity.......... Gx 0.300 - Gy 0.600
Blue chromaticity........... Bx 0.150 - By 0.060
White point (default)....... Wx 0.313 - Wy 0.329

Timing characteristics
VESA GTF support............ Not supported
Horizontal scan range....... 30-80kHz
Vertical scan range......... 56-75Hz
Video bandwidth............. 170MHz
Extension blocks............ n/a
Timing recommendation #1.... 1920x1080 at 60Hz
Modeline................ "1920x1080" 138.500 1920 1968 2000 2080
1080 1083 1088 1111 +hsync -vsync
Timing recommendation #2.... 1280x1024 at 60Hz
Modeline................ "1280x1024" 108.000 1280 1328 1440 1688
1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync

Standard timings supported
640 x 480 at 60Hz - IBM VGA
640 x 480 at 72Hz - VESA
640 x 480 at 75Hz - VESA
720 x 400 at 70Hz - IBM VGA
800 x 600 at 56Hz - VESA
800 x 600 at 60Hz - VESA
800 x 600 at 72Hz - VESA
800 x 600 at 75Hz - VESA
1024 x 768 at 60Hz - VESA
1024 x 768 at 70Hz - VESA
1024 x 768 at 75Hz - VESA
1280 x 1024 at 60Hz - Samsung
1280 x 1024 at 60Hz - VESA
1280 x 1024 at 75Hz - VESA
1600 x 1200 at 60Hz - VESA
1920 x 1080 at 60Hz - Samsung

Raw EDID base
00: 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 4C 2D 2D 03 00 00 00 00
10: 19 11 01 03 68 66 39 78 2A EE 91 A3 54 4C 99 26
20: 0F 50 54 AF CF 00 A9 40 81 80 61 40 01 01 01 01
30: 01 01 01 01 01 01 1A 36 80 A0 70 38 1F 40 30 20
40: 35 00 FA 3D 32 00 00 1A 30 2A 00 98 51 00 2A 40
50: 30 70 13 00 FA 3D 32 00 00 1E 00 00 00 FC 00 53
60: 41 4D 53 55 4E 47 0A 20 20 20 20 20 00 00 00 FD
70: 00 38 4B 1E 50 11 00 0A 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 4C

Display adapter
Adapter description......... RADEON 9550
Adapter device ID........... 0x41531002
Display settings............ 1920x1080, 32bpp

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
post #116 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:

Ok ran that test this is via VGA, im unable to plug the dvi in because I would have to remove my tv and reomove the wall mount to get access to my HTPC. This is at 120hz output from pc allegidly
Monitor
Manufacturer description.... SAMSUNG
Manufacturer................ Samsung
Plug and Play ID............ SAM032D
Serial number............... n/a
Manufacture date............ 2007, ISO week 25
Display type and signal..... Analog 0.700,0.000 (0.7V p-p)
Sync input support.......... Separate
Screen size................. 1020 x 570 mm (~48")

Color characteristics
Display gamma............... 2.20
Red chromaticity............ Rx 0.640 - Ry 0.330
Green chromaticity.......... Gx 0.300 - Gy 0.600
Blue chromaticity........... Bx 0.150 - By 0.060
White point (default)....... Wx 0.313 - Wy 0.329

Timing characteristics
VESA GTF support............ Not supported
Horizontal scan range....... 30-80kHz
Vertical scan range......... 56-75Hz
Video bandwidth............. 170MHz
Timing recommendation #1.... 1920x1080 at 60Hz
Modeline................ "1920x1080" 138.500 1920 1968 2000 2080
1080 1083 1088 1111 +hsync -vsync
Timing recommendation #2.... 1280x1024 at 60Hz
Modeline................ "1280x1024" 108.000 1280 1328 1440 1688
1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync

640 x 480 at 72Hz - VESA
640 x 480 at 75Hz - VESA
800 x 600 at 56Hz - VESA
800 x 600 at 60Hz - VESA
800 x 600 at 72Hz - VESA
800 x 600 at 75Hz - VESA
1024 x 768 at 60Hz - VESA
1024 x 768 at 70Hz - VESA
1280 x 1024 at 60Hz - Samsung
1280 x 1024 at 60Hz - VESA
1600 x 1200 at 60Hz - VESA
1920 x 1080 at 60Hz - Samsung

Raw EDID base
00: 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 4C 2D 2D 03 00 00 00 00
10: 19 11 01 03 68 66 39 78 2A EE 91 A3 54 4C 99 26
20: 0F 50 54 AF CF 00 A9 40 81 80 61 40 01 01 01 01
30: 01 01 01 01 01 01 1A 36 80 A0 70 38 1F 40 30 20
40: 35 00 FA 3D 32 00 00 1A 30 2A 00 98 51 00 2A 40
50: 30 70 13 00 FA 3D 32 00 00 1E 00 00 00 FC 00 53
60: 41 4D 53 55 4E 47 0A 20 20 20 20 20 00 00 00 FD
70: 00 38 4B 1E 50 11 00 0A 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 4C

Display adapter
Adapter description......... RADEON 9550
Adapter device ID........... 0x41531002
Display settings............ 1920x1080, 32bpp

As you can see there is NO 120 Hz support over D-Sub for this TV.
VP has Video bandwidth limited by 170MHz and you would need about 300 MHz to support 1080p120!!!
No surprises

P.S. Please note it is no 24p support via D-Sub as well.
post #117 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Sharp,
Much thanks for for the awesome review of realistic user situations, even better than the pablum we get from Cnet and Cons Reports.
Have you had a chance to check for screen uniformity issues (with DVE, TVBlink, or equal) such as banding, clouding/mura, dead and lazy pixels, flashlighting?
Do the HDMI connections seem sound and strong, or are they too tight or too loose and flimsy?
On some other physical aspects of the 71, since I can't really tell from the picts so far: does the enclosure look well made or does it look like cheap shinny plastic? Are those vert strips on the side speakers some silver metal or silver plastic and are the speaker baffles a clear plastic ?
Thanks again for your valuable input.

all is good....LNT4671 1005/1001 SQ01 w/old PS3 80G,Oppo 83 & 2400ES into Mirage OS3FS
post #118 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes looks like bandwidth is limited. HDMI might work but i doubt it. Thanks for you help sharp.
FYI here's my CRT monitor for comparison.

Monitor
Manufacturer description.... DELL P1130
Manufacturer................ Dell
Plug and Play ID............ DEL5000
Serial number............... 6D25133C604L
Manufacture date............ 2003, ISO week 11
Display type and signal..... Analog 0.700,0.300 (1.0V p-p)
Sync input support.......... Separate, Composite, Sync on green
Screen size................. 400 x 300 mm (~21")

Color characteristics
Display gamma............... 2.50
Red chromaticity............ Rx 0.625 - Ry 0.340
Green chromaticity.......... Gx 0.280 - Gy 0.605
Blue chromaticity........... Bx 0.155 - By 0.070
White point (default)....... Wx 0.283 - Wy 0.298

Timing characteristics
VESA GTF support............ Supported
Horizontal scan range....... 30-130kHz
Vertical scan range......... 48-170Hz
Video bandwidth............. 290MHz
Timing recommendation #1.... 1280x1024 at 85Hz
Modeline................ "1280x1024" 157.500 1280 1344 1504 1728 1024 1025 1028 1072 +hsync +vsync

640 x 480 at 75Hz - VESA
640 x 480 at 85Hz - VESA
800 x 600 at 75Hz - VESA
800 x 600 at 85Hz - VESA
1024 x 768 at 85Hz - VESA
1152 x 864 at 85Hz - VESA
1152 x 870 at 75Hz - Mac II
1280 x 1024 at 85Hz - Dell
1600 x 1200 at 75Hz - VESA
1600 x 1200 at 85Hz - VESA
1800 x 1440 at 75Hz - VESA

Raw EDID base
00: 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 10 AC 00 50 4C 34 30 36
10: 0B 0D 01 03 0E 28 1E 96 2B 0C C9 A0 57 47 9B 27
20: 12 48 4C A4 43 80 A9 59 A9 4F 61 59 71 59 45 59
30: C2 8F 31 59 01 01 86 3D 00 C0 51 00 30 40 40 A0
40: 13 00 6C 23 11 00 00 1E 00 00 00 FD 00 30 AA 1E
50: 82 1D 00 0A 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 00 00 FC 00 44
60: 45 4C 4C 20 50 31 31 33 30 0A 20 20 00 00 00 FF
70: 00 36 44 32 35 31 33 33 43 36 30 34 4C 0A 00 6F

Display adapter
Adapter description......... NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX
Adapter device ID........... 0x029010DE
Display settings............ 1152x864, 32bpp

User/computer information
Registered user name........ jimmy
Registered organization..... n/a
Network user name...........
Network computer name.......
Windows version ............ Windows XP
Windows build .............. 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
Installation date .......... 11/12/2006 12:00:00 PM
post #119 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detox View Post

Well my primary use if for an all around television, 50%TV, 30%Console Gaming, 20%HTPC Use.

I thought the 42PZ700 Panny had it all, no motion blur issues etc (which plagued LCDs). Although I was concerned with all the comments in the Plasma forums like "Plasmas are great and you can game with them but you just have to be careful" WTF!

I don't know about you guys, but I don't get to game everyday, so when I get a chance I usually over indulge and play for hours on end. This often involves playing hours of Tiger Woods/Hockey etc with buddies while drinking copious amounts of Canadian beer and the last thing I want to say to my buddies is "ummmmm Hey guys, we need to turn off the video game now and watch TV for a bit before we can play again"

I really hope this thread doesn't turn out like all the other "New TV" threads. where the first 5 pages talk about how this new television is the greatest thing to ever come on the market and then the last 30 pages talk about all the major short comings, people anxiously hoping for firmware updates to fix demons jumping out of the screen.

Few more weeks with my 27" Zeneith won't hurt I guess.

Updates are awesome,

Cheers,

Detox

I'd say go with the Samsung. You'll get quite a bit of image retention on the plasma since you're going to be binging on games and using it as a HTPC. Plasmas are great for gaming, but the best test you can do to see the motion blurring, is to take your console and favorite game to the store and see for yourself.

I'll be calibrating my set pretty soon, I just haven't been back at work for the past couple days to schedule myself one. But as far as that black crush issue goes in Bioshock, I don't have it...but then again it could just be his camera...im shooting with an SLR.

As far as the Ninja Gaiden test goes...I feel that this is a game that I am VERY familiar with. I ran the test, and to be honest, there is blurring...but this is as good as it gets for flat panels. It's barely noticeable...maybe its because I stopped using CRT's a couple years ago...
post #120 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovy View Post

Sharp,
Much thanks for for the awesome review of realistic user situations, even better than the pablum we get from Cnet and Cons Reports.
Have you had a chance to check for screen uniformity issues (with DVE, TVBlink, or equal) such as banding, clouding/mura, dead and lazy pixels, flashlighting?
Do the HDMI connections seem sound and strong, or are they too tight or too loose and flimsy?
On some other physical aspects of the 71, since I can't really tell from the picts so far: does the enclosure look well made or does it look like cheap shinny plastic? Are those vert strips on the side speakers some silver metal or silver plastic and are the speaker baffles a clear plastic ?
Thanks again for your valuable input.

Physically its like all other samsungs...the HDMI connectors could be a little tighter, its not like they're loose, but they could just be a tad bit tighter. The speaker strips are a shiny plastic and the speaker baffles are a clear plastic.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page