post #121 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeLTron View Post

As far as the Ninja Gaiden text goes...I feel that this is a game that I am VERY familiar with. I ran the test, and to be honest, there is blurring...but this is as good as it gets for flat panels. It's barely noticeable...maybe its because I stopped using CRT's a couple years ago...

That's good to hear, I posted the same question on the XBR4/5 boards as well and I am still waiting for their reply (several have already said that they would try it tonight) but if it is improved over previous LCDs I might just put the extra cash down on one of these 120hz LCDs in a few months.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpjunkie View Post

...I will try that tonight when it get's dark, any suggestions on what movie to pop in to try that out?

Sorry, got late on the east coast. Basically any dark scene in a total dark room in a movie would work. A space scene like Star Wars would work great or even viewing a letterbox movie would show you if you could tell the difference between the black bars on the top and bottom compared to the black bezel. Thanks!
post #123 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 02:20 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by

I'll be calibrating my set pretty soon, I just haven't been back at work for the past couple days to schedule myself one. But as far as that black crush issue goes in Bioshock, I don't have it...but then again it could just be his camera...im shooting with an SLR.
[IMG
View Post

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/chwmeinthg/IMG_4510.jpg[/IMG]

Outstanding!!! I figured it was just a calibration issue or phone thing.
post #124 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovy View Post

Sharp,
Much thanks for for the awesome review of realistic user situations, even better than the pablum we get from Cnet and Cons Reports.
Have you had a chance to check for screen uniformity issues (with DVE, TVBlink, or equal) such as banding, clouding/mura, dead and lazy pixels, flashlighting?
Do the HDMI connections seem sound and strong, or are they too tight or too loose and flimsy?
On some other physical aspects of the 71, since I can't really tell from the picts so far: does the enclosure look well made or does it look like cheap shinny plastic? Are those vert strips on the side speakers some silver metal or silver plastic and are the speaker baffles a clear plastic ?
Thanks again for your valuable input.

Ok, I popped in the Avia or Avai disk to calibrate the set a little. No easy task either. I got the settings for the blu ray on my ps3 right to where most people wouldn't watch the set because they are not used to watching a calibrated set. So in a pitch black room the black bars are uniform with the sets bezel. No eye strain and still great depth and clarity and hard to see black crush . I switched it back to movie preset mode to see the difference. The difference was when a really bright scene came one my eyes would start bleeding and I would squint due to the contrast and brightness set up way to high. This mode might work during the day but not in a pitch black room. I do have one dead/stuck pixel I saw last night while cleaning the set. It was blue in color. I don't see it at all from where I am sitting and I was looking for it today but couldn't find it. I also have 2 flashlights. One in the left upper corner, one in the right upper corner. Maybe they are due to the way the 71 is hung on the wall and the pressure from the rear mounts pulling on it as it is slanted at 15 degrees. I only see these flashlight in a pitch black room when the tv is on eye scortch. After calibrating it to pitch black room standards, I saw no flashlights whatsoever. The screen is uniform with no mura, banding, or other artifacts. I am watching it in the preset movie mode right now and I don't see the flashlights. They are small too maybe a 2 inch radius from the corner out. The bezel is really nice. Sitting on my couch I can see my refelction during the day off the bezel and with the tv off, the screen is almost diffused. I can't see as much reflection in the screen as I can in the bezel. The power button is really classy and works great as long as you are not cold blooded. Same with the touch sensitive buttons on the right side of the speaker mounts. I love how they dim once the set turns and powers on. The speakers do have some type of plastic on both side which is directional for the speaker output. Meaning the sound bounces off of them to propbably enhance that SRS. There were also 2 speaker grills on the back of the set for maybe the bass, not sure, you can see them in the pics of the 81 in the 81 site.

Ok so I tried the Ninja gaiden test, sorry would have written sooner but that is a damn fun game. So I got to the top of the cliff where the 2 ninjas come and get you, I finished them off and walked to the edge near the red box. I started to pan around and did notice some refresh line on top and some basic blurring of the trees. I ended up turning the motion plus to high, from med, from low. I got the best results on high as the refresh line went away and the trees seemed normal compared to motionplus off. When you zoom around real fast, did you get the sword on the back to show blurring to the left and right of it? I think this is part of the game so no worries there. But yeah in my testing the motionplus on high made a huge difference in the trees. Maybe Joe can try the same thing.

Ok, what else do you guys have?

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
post #125 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 02:36 PM

I have narrowed my choice of buying a new TV to 46 71 series & Xbr4 and need help picking the right one. I have been to all CC and BB stores in my area to compare the two but either they don't carry the 71 or the TV's are not next to each other which makes is difficult to compare. I know they are both great sets but I would like to hear your true unbiased option if you have compared the two. Also if you own one or the other, please share as what you like and don't like. Thanks for your help.
post #126 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 02:58 PM

I'm truly anxious to get my own 4071. Maybe by the end of the month. So the one thing i've noticed that i'm not sure if something is wrong with our 71 but when i calibrate the set in our store and i show everyone how sweet the set looks it has a tendency to reset the calibration i've done on the set.

There is no custom setting which disappoints me. We have the XBR4 next to the 71 and honestly everyone who is a Sony boy really have a hard time choosing which set they like better. They of course lean towards the XBR but b/c of design but i personally like the design of the Sammy better.

It just does aggravate me that when the set turns off the settings reset.

Overall i think that anyone who went with the 71 or XBR will be happy.
post #127 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbilal View Post

I have narrowed my choice of buying a new TV to 46 71 series & Xbr4 and need help picking the right one. I have been to all CC and BB stores in my area to compare the two but either they don't carry the 71 or the TV's are not next to each other which makes is difficult to compare. I know they are both great sets but I would like to hear your true unbiased option if you have compared the two. Also if you own one or the other, please share as what you like and don't like. Thanks for your help.

If you can't control lighting in your environment and reflections and glare is going to be a huge thing for you, the xbr4/5, if reflections are not and you can control the lighting of your house, 71. If you are getting the 71, wait till more people have the 81 so you don't say, damn I wish I got the 81. I love my set. I smile evertime I walk in the door now and say to myself, "You are all mine." When friends come over and you pop in a blu ray, it's like re-living the whole experience all over again. Pros 24p, blacks, bezel, power button, side buttons, inputs, optical out on tv, Cons: motion plus sucks for movies and some tv shows, the way that you can have one input with multiple custom settings so if you have a ps3 you can have a custom setting for games during the day, games during the night, movies during the day, movies during the night. That would be awesome. Can't thing of anymore at the moment... Oh handshaking sucks, hate when the screen goes blank because of HDCP oh well..

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
post #128 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:

Ok so I tried the Ninja gaiden test, sorry would have written sooner but that is a damn fun game. So I got to the top of the cliff where the 2 ninjas come and get you, I finished them off and walked to the edge near the red box. I started to pan around and did notice some refresh line on top and some basic blurring of the trees. I ended up turning the motion plus to high, from med, from low. I got the best results on high as the refresh line went away and the trees seemed normal compared to motionplus off. When you zoom around real fast, did you get the sword on the back to show blurring to the left and right of it? I think this is part of the game so no worries there. But yeah in my testing the motionplus on high made a huge difference in the trees. Maybe Joe can try the same thing.

There is no blur on my CRT at anytime in that area even on the sword. What that tells me is that 120hz does indeed help with motion and brings it to near plasma levels when it comes to blur but it does still blur. I will eventually do this test myself but it is a 55 mile drive to the nearest store that would carry it so for now this has given me some hope for 120hz and I will probably get either the 4071 or the 40xbr4 depending on which I like more.

Thanks for taking the time to do this it might just sway a few of those who are waiting for blur free LCDs (like me)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #129 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-eM View Post

I'm truly anxious to get my own 4071. Maybe by the end of the month. So the one thing i've noticed that i'm not sure if something is wrong with our 71 but when i calibrate the set in our store and i show everyone how sweet the set looks it has a tendency to reset the calibration i've done on the set.

There is no custom setting which disappoints me. We have the XBR4 next to the 71 and honestly everyone who is a Sony boy really have a hard time choosing which set they like better. They of course lean towards the XBR but b/c of design but i personally like the design of the Sammy better.

It just does aggravate me that when the set turns off the settings reset.

Overall i think that anyone who went with the 71 or XBR will be happy.

It is because your set is on Shop mode. That way when stupid people come by and touch the buttons, the set will go back to eye burn when they walk away after a period of time. You need to put the set in home mode to keep the settings..

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
post #130 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Good info Sharp. Is that blue power light also dimmable or can it be turned off? Are there any additional buttons on the top of this set that would be in the way of a top mounted speaker?
Does it have auto dimming (room light sensor) for when room lighting changes?

all is good....LNT4671 1005/1001 SQ01 w/old PS3 80G,Oppo 83 & 2400ES into Mirage OS3FS
post #131 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovy View Post

Good info Sharp. Is that blue power light also dimmable or can it be turned off? Are there any additional buttons on the top of this set that would be in the way of a top mounted speaker?

Blue light can be on always, can be off always, can be on only when the set is off, can be on when the set is on. Nothing on top except air vents....

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
post #132 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

I saw 71 next to 65....first thought was they better blow these 65s off the shelf fast. The 71 had a slightly better Contrast and black....I say slight because it was not significant for viewing.

The 71 did better motion. I like the cabinet of the 71 better too.

BTW a lot of bluring comes from the source material, especially for movies. Many Vid game designer add in bluring for sense of speed effect.....Driving games do it the most often but other designers add blur too.

Unless you are testing on a HD CRT you are not doing a fair comparison of blur on a CRT.
480i CRT has a natural smoothing effect
post #133 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Anybody spot the 71 series in the NYC & Long Island area? The 2 local CC's and 1 BB/Mag have no idea!

all is good....LNT4671 1005/1001 SQ01 w/old PS3 80G,Oppo 83 & 2400ES into Mirage OS3FS
post #134 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
union square cc in nyc has it on display. I think it looks better than the xbr4
post #135 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

has anyone tried dvi to hdmi, was wondering if this worked and if it was a step up in hz/ pq from vga.
post #136 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 08:22 PM

Like many, I'm having trouble trying to decide between the 46XBR4 and LNT4671. For me, there are a couple of issues with both. The XBR has that hideous aluminum trim on that huge "floating glass" bevel...but the picture looks great, and no glare. I love the look of the LNT and if the picture is as good or better than the 4665...in dark room it's fantastic...but that glare really scares me. Also, I have seen the XBR4 at CC, but the 4671 is yet to arrive there, so I haven't seen it. Again, looking at the 4665 in the "dark room" at BB, the picture was amazing. I'm really anxious to see the 4671 when someone gets one around here.

-Allen
post #137 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 09:04 PM

Hi everyone, I'm seriously considering this set, either the 40" or 46". Anyone have an opinion on which I should choose based on my viewing distance? It will be used in my bedroom.

When I'm sitting up, the viewing distance will be about 55". When chillin in bed it will be 75". My 1st concern is macroblocking from compression, second is seeing pixel structure.

I am leaning towards the 46" for a more immersive feel, but I fear what I mentioned above. I made a separate post in the forum but haven't received a response yet.

Thanks!

-Ron

LN-T4671f
Firmware = 1007
Hardware = 1001
Build Date = August 9th, 2007
post #138 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 09:05 PM

Oh, this may be a silly question, but will the xx71's black detail be much better than my ln-s4095d? I haven't been keeping up with the advances in lcd since I bought my 95 a year ago. Again, thank you!

LN-T4671f
Firmware = 1007
Hardware = 1001
post #139 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrronnn View Post

Oh, this may be a silly question, but will the xx71's black detail be much better than my ln-s4095d? I haven't been keeping up with the advances in lcd since I bought my 95 a year ago. Again, thank you!

Yes sir it is, but...the 4095 is a great tv too!
post #140 of 28850 Old 08-22-2007, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Ok ran that test this is via VGA, im unable to plug the dvi in because I would have to remove my tv and reomove the wall mount to get access to my HTPC.

Thanks for report.

It's very interesting to know what chipset used in this set.
Information about it is on first page of Service Menu (to enter Mute-1-8-2-Power)
This is example of XX61 based on Trident SVP-LX

Please post your photo
LL
post #141 of 28850 Old 08-23-2007, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikl1984 View Post

Thanks for report.

It's very interesting to know what chipset used in this set.
Information about it is on first page of Service Menu (to enter Mute-1-8-2-Power)
This is example of XX61 based on Trident SVP-LX

Please post your photo

Mine says this...
Calibration :Sub Micom Download
Option Byte :Checksum
White Balance :KS1410
W/B Movie : Dynamic Contrast
SVP-LX :LED Option
FBE2 :FRC Option
MSP44XX :eeprom access count
NTP3000 :Reset

T-PEONAUSC-1003 JUL 20 2007
T-PEONAUSC-1001 SEC : XX
DATE OF PURCHASE 8:20:2007

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
post #142 of 28850 Old 08-23-2007, 12:49 AM

For those who already have this LCD, I would like to know if you put your LNT on the wall (so without stand), won't the power light buton make bad design in the bottom of the LCD ?
post #143 of 28850 Old 08-23-2007, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewssk View Post

For those who already have this LCD, I would like to know if you put your LNT on the wall (so without stand), won't the power light buton make bad design in the bottom of the LCD ?

Why would it make it a bad design?

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
post #144 of 28850 Old 08-23-2007, 01:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewssk

Why would it make it a bad design?

It could be like the picture I've made :
LL
post #145 of 28850 Old 08-23-2007, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I guess on a white backround it would look like that. To be honest I never thought about it till now. I have a dark backround so I only see it when the light is on.

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
post #146 of 28850 Old 08-23-2007, 01:50 AM

Did you put your LCD on a wall ?

I would like to have a picture of this "maybe bad design effect". (maybe with a sheet of paper behind to see exactly the "problem" because I have a white wall )
Of course if you did not, don't put your stand away for me
post #147 of 28850 Old 08-23-2007, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Pros 24p

Do you know if the conversion to 120hz is direct (4 out of 5 frames interpolated) or if 3:2 pulldown is used first to get to 60hz (then every other frame interpolated). For some folks, the 3:2 pulldown method (what other sets do) is a big stink because of 3:2 judder (LCDs don't judder but whatevr...the real problem is more blur remains) I'm betting direct interpolation since the artifacts/significant blur reduction you mention are specific to that method.

P.S. still have slight hope for 120hz input through HDMI 1.3 so i hope someone tries it sometime.

post #148 of 28850 Old 08-23-2007, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borf View Post

Do you know if the conversion to 120hz is direct (4 out of 5 frames interpolated) or if 3:2 pulldown is used first to get to 60hz (then every other frame interpolated). For some folks, the 3:2 pulldown method (what other sets do) is a big stink because of 3:2 judder (LCDs don't judder but whatevr...the real problem is more blur remains) I'm betting direct interpolation since the artifacts/significant blur reduction you mention are specific to that method.

I'm pretty sure the whole point of 120Hz is to eliminate that uneven pulldown. 120Hz is the frequency of choice because it's evenly divisible by 24, 30, and 60, so that there is no judder at any of those rates.

BTW, do we now call these pulldowns 5:1, 4:1, and 2:1, respectively?
post #149 of 28850 Old 08-23-2007, 06:12 AM

Quote:

Mine says this...
Calibration :Sub Micom Download
Option Byte :Checksum
White Balance :KS1410
W/B Movie : Dynamic Contrast
SVP-LX :LED Option
FBE2 :FRC Option
MSP44XX :eeprom access count
NTP3000 :Reset

T-PEONAUSC-1003 JUL 20 2007
T-PEONAUSC-1001 SEC : XX
DATE OF PURCHASE 8:20:2007

Thank you Sharp for this info. It would be nice to see pictures of SM. Would you mind to post them?
P.S. It is funny that Mike beats me with this question.
post #150 of 28850 Old 08-23-2007, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeLTron View Post

Yes sir it is, but...the 4095 is a great tv too!

I love the 4095 But, does your answer mean that my question WAS silly, or that the xx71 Will provide better black detail? Thanks!!

LN-T4671f
Firmware = 1007
Hardware = 1001
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page