Official Samsung LNT-xx71f Owners Thread - Page 554 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-27-2008, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TNT HD is usually pretty good it always was when i had my mitsu 65inch dlp.....and on this tv its amazing as well...not everything on it, not all movies, but for instance what is on right now. the sag awards...WOW. looks great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2008, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmmm.......this should really piss off the film afficianatos:

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...797964484&ad_q
Old 01-27-2008, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if circuit city price matches online vendors? or will they only price match with the other big box stores? best buy, tweeter, etc etc.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post

So guys is it possible to get one of these sets that doesnt stutter?

Do they all have the TBE when watching sports?

I don't have any TBE or stutter, judder, etc... Haven't you asked this before??
Old 01-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 View Post

Does anyone know if circuit city price matches online vendors? or will they only price match with the other big box stores? best buy, tweeter, etc etc.

metal83, I'm pretty sure stores will only match other stores. If they matched online vendors, imagine the chaos. No one would order online.

"Talk to me Goose."
Old 01-28-2008, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKE4742 View Post

metal83, I'm pretty sure stores will only match other stores. If they matched online vendors, imagine the chaos. No one would order online.

YMMV. Usually B&M stores will only price match local B&M stores. Some of the more anal ones will also only price match if the other store actually has the item in stock.

That being said, most of these stores are already marking up the prices by a lot. Depending on the actual price and profit they are still able to make off the sale, you MIGHT be able to get them to PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I saw something today I haven't seen before.

Watching the Celtics game there was a lot of flashing of the whole screen. A brief whiteout. It might happen every few seconds or might not happen for minutes.

Since I had it on my DVR I could rewind and go frame by frame. The screen would get ~1" blocks of "pixelation" then the whole screen would whiteout like a flash bang grenade in COD4. It only happened in gameplay. Not commercials, not halftime. AMP Off was no improvement. Pretty sure it was the source. I have both HDMI and component hookup and didn't even think to see if it was there with component. Next time I will

I thought somebody posted about this, but I couldn't find it searching with "flashing" and I can't remember if anybody figured out what the problem was.

Anybody see this with this game or remember anything?

4671/2002 -> 2004, DirecTV, HR 20 700
Old 01-28-2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:

Depends on store, mgr, location, etc. Typically, no. Happened during Christmas, I know. In your case, if you're prepping for tomorrow's phone calls, meetings etc., don't worry. You're using online (I recommended Amazon because it's so widely used ) as a price point for negotiating based on extraordinary circumstances! If you wind up talking to the regional manager, he can give you the thing at cost, if he chooses to.

You've been provided all the tools you need.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

Welcome.

Take some time and read the faq. It will really help you.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post12429454

We should have the faq stickied on the first post of everypage for these newbies. HAHA. No seriously tho, we should.

LN-T4671F - FW: 2003.2
DV-980H - FW: 0B-0903
6620NP - FW: 2.10
N081URAY-Y37 - FW: 0.0
Old 01-28-2008, 02:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

Hmmmm.......this should really piss off the film afficianatos:

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...797964484&ad_q

What's the point. 120 is the lowest common denominator of 24, 30, and 60. 24 does not even go into 180. That doesn't even make sense for PAL 25/50.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dEEahn20 View Post

What's the point. 120 is the lowest common denominator of 24, 30, and 60. 24 does not even go into 180. That doesn't even make sense for PAL 25/50.

The point is it inserts 2 frames between the originals instead of one like the 120hz does. This smoothes the motion even more so the people who hate the soap opera look of the 71 series and want to preserve the integrity of film will have a nervous breakdown over these.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dEEahn20 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

The point is it inserts 2 frames between the originals instead of one like the 120hz does. This smoothes the motion even more so the people who hate the soap opera look of the 71 series and want to preserve the integrity of film will have a nervous breakdown over these.

Sure it smooths it out even more, but what's it gonna do with a 24 fps source? 180 can not be divided by 24 evenly. That was my whole point. I wasn't asking what the point of your post was. I was saying that it's stupid to do 180hz.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

I saw something today I haven't seen before.

Watching the Celtics game there was a lot of flashing of the whole screen. A brief whiteout. It might happen every few seconds or might not happen for minutes.

Since I had it on my DVR I could rewind and go frame by frame. The screen would get ~1" blocks of "pixelation" then the whole screen would whiteout like a flash bang grenade in COD4. It only happened in gameplay. Not commercials, not halftime. AMP Off was no improvement. Pretty sure it was the source. I have both HDMI and component hookup and didn't even think to see if it was there with component. Next time I will

I thought somebody posted about this, but I couldn't find it searching with "flashing" and I can't remember if anybody figured out what the problem was.

Anybody see this with this game or remember anything?

4671/2002 -> 2004, DirecTV, HR 20 700

Someone posted several pages back (or could have been 50 pages lol, like time and what seems like a week ago was probably last year) that the person who saw the white flashing in a basketball game every few minutes was probably seeing camera flashes. I wasn't watching the game though but just an idea.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:19 AM

I was just wondering if any of you use these sets as a main computer screen. I would be using it a lot for that. Plus, it would be a bedroom television/gaming piece. I'm just a little hesitant to use it as a computer monitor. Thanks for any insight.

Pioneer Pro-111FD
Toshiba HD-A20
Denon AVR-3806
XBOX 360
Old 01-28-2008, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera1 View Post

I don't have any TBE or stutter, judder, etc... Haven't you asked this before??

Hmm. I didn't realize that judder was a issue specific to this tv. I thought that it was something to do with how stuff was filmed or broadcast or something. I thought it occurred on all tvs. I'll admit though, I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to the more technical portions of this thread.

Samsung 4671F with 1013.1 - Hoping for 1014.

"I am not sure what is going to happen after sometime as I have never seen tomorrow." - Dylan D, Samsung Tier 1 Tech Support
Old 01-28-2008, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Ok finally got my LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD HTPC player working last night and watched Transformers.

Was very happy and so was the wife. She said the PQ on this for fast moving scenes blows away the 5265F so WAF is obviously back up and strong.

I watched it with AMP off, so was nice to get good WAF even with amp off. Overall good experience. It started to stutter for about a minute halfway through the movie, but there is no real way to tell if that was from the TV itself or from my HTPC getting stupid for a moment. I probably should have put amp on low. I have a 1013.1 set so I have to be careful with amp.

I am getting Live Free or Die Hard later this week on bluray. Ill put amp on low for that and see what happens.

I really don't see myself returning this to Frys in hopes of getting a 2xxx set considering I already returned a 5265 to them.

I guess ill just pray they come out with some sort of a fix for amp. If I have to watch with amp off or on low so be it I guess.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybolt View Post

Depends on store, mgr, location, etc. Typically, no. Happened during Christmas, I know. In your case, if you're prepping for tomorrow's phone calls, meetings etc., don't worry. You're using online (I recommended Amazon because it's so widely used ) as a price point for negotiating based on extraordinary circumstances! If you wind up talking to the regional manager, he can give you the thing at cost, if he chooses to.

You've been provided all the tools you need.

well i just called samsung, and tried to get switched over to the ESR department like they told me i could. and now there saying i have to wait 2 to 3 days for my file to be reviewed before i can even be switched over to them. i called back a few different times trying to get a diff person that would possibly say something diff. no luck...so now i have to wait for them to either call, or i have to call back in 2 to 3 days....what a load of crap
Old 01-28-2008, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well i just called samsung, and tried to get switched over to the ESR department like they told me i could. and now there saying i have to wait 2 to 3 days for my file to be reviewed before i can even be switched over to them. i called back a few different times trying to get a diff person that would possibly say something diff. no luck...so now i have to wait for them to either call, or i have to call back in 2 to 3 days....what a load of crap

well i just talked to the regional manager. he was very nice, and understanding of my frustration. he gave me quite a few options. he said since none of the stores have them in my state, and my state is tax free, that i could go over to the next state where they have one, pick it up, have the taxes waived, and be compensated for all my troubles, he said he would take an extra 75 dollars off of the ticket. but then i told him i really dont wanna drive that far, again, and he understood that. so he told me i could wait till the store in my area has one, and if for some odd reason it takes more than 30 days he will waive the 30 day return policy..............but he said my store may be getting some at the end of this week, he gave me his cell phone number, and said to call him thursday or friday and if my store has one....i can pick it up. and he will come there, and inspect it fully with me before i leave, and also compensate me for my troubles....his exact words...compensate me for my troubles.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

kjgarrison, I believe what you are seeing is in the feed itself. I believe DirecTv's mp4 encoder freaks out with really quick lighting changes like strobes or camera flashes. I first noticed it on a CSI episode that had some sort of concert footage. I didn't watch that basketball game, but I bet it is the same thing (DirecTv's fault). I have an old sony lcd btw.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well i just talked to the regional manager. he was very nice, and understanding of my frustration. he gave me quite a few options. he said since none of the stores have them in my state, and my state is tax free, that i could go over to the next state where they have one, pick it up, have the taxes waived, and be compensated for all my troubles, he said he would take an extra 75 dollars off of the ticket. but then i told him i really dont wanna drive that far, again, and he understood that. so he told me i could wait till the store in my area has one, and if for some odd reason it takes more than 30 days he will waive the 30 day return policy..............but he said my store may be getting some at the end of this week, he gave me his cell phone number, and said to call him thursday or friday and if my store has one....i can pick it up. and he will come there, and inspect it fully with me before i leave, and also compensate me for my troubles....his exact words...compensate me for my troubles.

now, when i do call him back, and finally pick up the tv when it arrives..do you think i should push for a bit more of a compensation than $75....or should i just leave that alone and take what he's offering?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

now, when i do call him back, and finally pick up the tv when it arrives..do you think i should push for a bit more of a compensation than $75....or should i just leave that alone and take what he's offering?

Try to get a deal on the Warranty package (3 years) which in reality is 2 yrs as they count the warranty from day-1..

That is what I would do unless you already got this..

(Zman) #24 Jeff Gordon in 2014..
Old 01-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you were going to push for more you should have already done so. Essentially after hanging up the phone you agreed to his terms. $75, and the oppurtunity to inspect the television and ensure its what you want.

If you were going to ask for more you should have already done so.

All in all, despite all the issues you've had, $75 may not seem like much, but, its $75 and had you decided to not purchase the television at CC and gone elsewhere you wouldn't have gotten that $75.

Of course thats only my opinion.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:07 AM

Can a 4671 fit in a Ford Windstar, either laying down in back with rear seats folded down, or stood up on floor behind driver's seat? Has anyone transported their own 4671 home from CC or BB? Am I foolish to consider?

Thanks!

Chris
Old 01-28-2008, 09:07 AM

I am going to buy the 40 inch this weekend hoping for a 2002 firmware.

I was wondering if anyone had any luck calling samsung tech from the store and giving them the SN of the TV asking if they could tell you which FW was on it?

I guess I could just pick it up and pray but I would rather not go through the hassle of unboxing it and packing it back up.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsonte View Post

If you were going to push for more you should have already done so. Essentially after hanging up the phone you agreed to his terms. $75, and the oppurtunity to inspect the television and ensure its what you want.

If you were going to ask for more you should have already done so.

All in all, despite all the issues you've had, $75 may not seem like much, but, its $75 and had you decided to not purchase the television at CC and gone elsewhere you wouldn't have gotten that $75.

Of course thats only my opinion.

well i do see your point, but the $75 dollars was along with the offer for me to come pick it up in a diff state today, which i turned down, so maybe when i call him back, i can still see if he can do better. worse case scenario and he wont, $75 dollars is still better than what all the store managers were going to do. which is nothing. and that would cover all the gas i used to get around to all these diff stores....now i am debating if i should call back right now and just see if i can get a better deal or just wait till the tv comes in. either way it couldnt hurt i suppose. the worst he could say is thats the best he can do
Old 01-28-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa2000 View Post

Can a 4671 fit in a Ford Windstar, either laying down in back with rear seats folded down, or stood up on floor behind driver's seat? Has anyone transported their own 4671 home from CC or BB? Am I foolish to consider?

Thanks!

Chris

You should be fine...I fit mine (LNT5271F) in the back of my Olds Silohette fine w/ the seats folded down...

LCD's can be laid down for transport...unlike their Plasma bretheren that cannot or I should say should not due to the Plasma fluid in the display....
Old 01-28-2008, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well i do see your point, but the $75 dollars was along with the offer for me to come pick it up in a diff state today, which i turned down, so maybe when i call him back, i can still see if he can do better. worse case scenario and he wont, $75 dollars is still better than what all the store managers were going to do. which is nothing. and that would cover all the gas i used to get around to all these diff stores....now i am debating if i should call back right now and just see if i can get a better deal or just wait till the tv comes in. either way it couldnt hurt i suppose. the worst he could say is thats the best he can do

just for the hell of it lets say i call back, and he asks me what i had in mind, what would be a reasonable price for me to ask for off the tv beyond the $75?
Old 01-28-2008, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

just for the hell of it lets say i call back, and he asks me what i had in mind, what would be a reasonable price for me to ask for off the tv beyond the $75?

what if i say 10% thats reasonable. stores a usually willing to bargain 10% under normal situations anyways
Old 01-28-2008, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

what if i say 10% thats reasonable. stores a usually willing to bargain 10% under normal situations anyways

ok....well i just called him back, i said to him, considering all the 200+ miles i drove, the time i spent unpacking and packing the tv, the numorous people i had to talk to on the phone, i feel 10% would be a fair deal. He told me hes not sure if he can do the 10% but he will look into it, or at least try to meet me half way, (10% would be $270 off)......he told me he will look into it tho and see if he can in fact do the 10%, and when i finally pick up the tv, we will make the deal and see where we can get the discount too. he promised me i will walk away from this very happy, and i told him if he does this for me, i will be a very very happy customer despite all the trouble i have had and that i will recommend all my friends and co workers who are looking for tv's to his store. he said well wow i would really appreciate that, and again i promise you that you will be happy, i want to satisfy you and be able to keep u coming back to my stores......................so looks like i am definetly getting more than $75, even half of the 10% would be $135(i which i would be happy with if thats all he can do), but i have a feeling he will do better than that when i finally pick up the tv...hes a very nice guy and i am very suprised, i am glad i called back thats for sure and didnt settle for $75, lol screw that.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ok....well i just called him back, i said to him, considering all the 200+ miles i drove, the time i spent unpacking and packing the tv, the numorous people i had to talk to on the phone, i feel 10% would be a fair deal. He told me hes not sure if he can do the 10% but he will look into it, or at least try to meet me half way, (10% would be $270 off)......he told me he will look into it tho and see if he can in fact do the 10%, and when i finally pick up the tv, we will make the deal and see where we can get the discount too. he promised me i will walk away from this very happy, and i told him if he does this for me, i will be a very very happy customer despite all the trouble i have had and that i will recommend all my friends and co workers who are looking for tv's to his store. he said well wow i would really appreciate that, and again i promise you that you will be happy, i want to satisfy you and be able to keep u coming back to my stores......................so looks like i am definetly getting more than $75, even half of the 10% would be $135(i which i would be happy with if thats all he can do), but i have a feeling he will do better than that when i finally pick up the tv...hes a very nice guy and i am very suprised, i am glad i called back thats for sure and didnt settle for $75, lol screw that.

so worst case scenario i will get $135 off the price, which i will be happy with thats a decent amount in my mind.....and best case scenario, i will get $270 off the price...which i will be extremely happy. or maybe it will be some where in the middle, either way i am glad he is willing to work with me....thanks to everyone on here for their suggestions, advice, and inputs. its greatly appreciated.