Official Samsung LNT-xx71f Owners Thread - Page 557 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #16681 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 04:44 PM
LQV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I purchased an LN-T4571f on January 1st which had PB in the serial number and had 1013.1 firmware, discovered the stutter problem within the first week of ownership, and have been reading these posts ever since. When my set begins to stutter, it appears like every other frame is being dropped out or skipped. I first thought the problem was my DVD player beginning to act up (Oppo DV-981HD), but ruled that out by testing the player on a few other TVs. I have witness stutter with AMP on all settings (including off), though it was very rare and short-lived when AMP was off (with AMP off, stuttering only happened twice and lasted about 3 seconds or so). I've watched several movies with AMP on low, and each stuttered anywhere from 2 to 6 times during an entire viewing.

AMP on low, I noticed that the stuttering usually begins right after a scene change and can last anywhere from a couple seconds to over a minute, but it usually clears up if I momentarily pause the player during an episode. I also found that I can sometimes induce the stutter by quickly pressing pause/play a few times in rapid succession. Unfortunately I do not yet have cable and I am frighten about how poor this TV may act when do I get it (based on some other experiences here).

So now I have 2 days left to return this set to CC. I have previously been through 3 other brand LCD TVs, all which had hideous panel problems, but this one is absolutely perfect short of the stuttering problem. Also, the picture quality blows away all of my previous LCD experiences. Not to sound pessimistic, but I worry that there will not be a firmware upgrade to fix this problem since it was mostly fixed on the first sets with 2xxx firmware, which have now been out for a few months. It seems to me that there has been plenty of time to update the 1xxx firmware if the stutter fix was that simple.

The return clock is ticking and I wish I had more time to wait for the magic fix. Another almost satisfied Samsung customer...how sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16682 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 04:52 PM

need some advice ASAP....

as most of you know i bought the 71f yest....watched it all day....no TBE or stutter.....even with amp on high.....never a stutter on SA8300 or ps3 blu ray

just got home from work and i am watching TBSHD (my fav channel) watching seinfeld/friends/raymond........the picture freezes sometimes for just a split second, and sometimes i have to change the station and go back to TBSHD for it to be on.....sometimes there is PIXELATION, which has me thinking maybe its TBS is havng problems (i know this happens sometimes).....i have dvr so i rewind to the spots that freeze, and it freezes up everytime i rewind back to that particular spot in the program......is this stutter? tv does not or has ever done it on any other channel or on blu ray even with the amp on high.......
post #16683 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbull271 View Post

as most of you know i bought the 71f yest....watched it all day....no TBE or stutter.....even with amp on high.....never a stutter on SA8300 or ps3 blu ray

just got home from work and i am watching TBSHD (my fav channel) watching seinfeld/friends/raymond........the picture freezes sometimes for just a split second, and sometimes i have to change the station and go back to TBSHD for it to be on.....sometimes there is PIXELATION, which has me thinking maybe its TBS is havng problems (i know this happens sometimes).....i have dvr so i rewind to the spots that freeze, and it freezes up everytime i rewind back to that particular spot in the program......is this stutter? tv does not or has ever done it on any other channel or on blu ray even with the amp on high.......

Not sure, but TBS, TNT and ABC are the stations that cause stutter for me. So it could be stutter. I see it on some shows, not everything on those channels. Seems like prime time shows or movies is where I see it.
post #16684 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by price3 View Post

kjgarrison, I believe what you are seeing is in the feed itself. I believe DirecTv's mp4 encoder freaks out with really quick lighting changes like strobes or camera flashes. I first noticed it on a CSI episode that had some sort of concert footage. I didn't watch that basketball game, but I bet it is the same thing (DirecTv's fault). I have an old sony lcd btw.

OMG, I had meant to bring this up earlier as I was not sure what the issue was with the strobe. I also watched something where the characters walked into a disco or something with strobes going, and tv completely freaked out. The screen went to white/grey pixelation whenever the strobe light "strobed".

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
post #16685 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 04:58 PM

Jeez metal83 I hope everything works out for you bro, if I were in your situation I'd be PO'd beyond all reasoning.
post #16686 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 View Post

now, when i do call him back, and finally pick up the tv when it arrives..do you think i should push for a bit more of a compensation than $75....or should i just leave that alone and take what he's offering?

I would push for everything I could get after you went through. But do whatever you are comfortable with.

post #16687 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insimbi View Post

Not sure, but TBS, TNT and ABC are the stations that cause stutter for me. So it could be stutter. I see it on some shows, not everything on those channels. Seems like prime time shows or movies is where I see it.

F'this ....its going back tomorrow and im getting the 52 inch xbr4
post #16688 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinkie View Post

Try to get a deal on the Warranty package (3 years) which in reality is 2 yrs as they count the warranty from day-1..

That is what I would do unless you already got this..

Really? It's only really two years? Man, I feel ripped off now. For some reason, I thought that it didn't begin until after the manufacturer's warranty ended.

I mean what benefit do I get from it for the first year that I don't get from the manufacturer?

Samsung 4671F with 1013.1 - Hoping for 1014.

"I am not sure what is going to happen after sometime as I have never seen tomorrow." - Dylan D, Samsung Tier 1 Tech Support
post #16689 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 05:02 PM

is there a video or clip of this "stutter" glitch?

No way will i sit on a $3,000 purchase "hoping" for samsung to come along with a fix......ITS UNACCEPTABLE! I think i hear one of those 2 XBR's that CC has left calling me
post #16690 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzakos1 View Post

Well I'm about to pull the trigger on an LN-T5271F and I have some obvious concerns about what Samsung is going to do to address this TBE and studdering issue. I realize I might not have these problems but if I do I want to make sure Sammy is going to back up their product and not leave us hanging. The guy did say they are committed to fixing the issue by either another firmware upgrade, a service call to replace a board, and if that doesn't resolve it they will give us new TV's. I know there could be situations where the amount of problems are subjective to whomever is viewing the tv and that leaves a grey area on if there's a problem or not, but it least I know they are acknowledging that there is an issue and they are working on it. Based on this I am pulling the trigger - or should I say rolling the dice. I hope this all works out and will report back once I have a set in the house.

Thanks

I vote for the new tv, without clouds....and 4ms would be nice, lol.

post #16691 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmaak View Post

Really? It's only really two years? Man, I feel ripped off now. For some reason, I thought that it didn't begin until after the manufacturer's warranty ended.

I mean what benefit do I get from it for the first year that I don't get from the manufacturer?

And that is why you need to read the fine prints.

Go 24
post #16692 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 05:06 PM

Liked: 14
Got my warranty extension from Butterfly Photo and he reassured me that the 3 year warranty i bought started the second the manufacturer warranty ENDED, so i basically have 4 years total...
post #16693 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 05:07 PM

can somebody please tell me what the response time on the xbr4 is? i know the sammy 71F is 8ms
post #16694 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQV View Post

Hello everyone,

I purchased an LN-T4571f on January 1st which had PB in the serial number and had 1013.1 firmware, discovered the stutter problem within the first week of ownership, and have been reading these posts ever since. When my set begins to stutter, it appears like every other frame is being dropped out or skipped. I first thought the problem was my DVD player beginning to act up (Oppo DV-981HD), but ruled that out by testing the player on a few other TVs. I have witness stutter with AMP on all settings (including off), though it was very rare and short-lived when AMP was off (with AMP off, stuttering only happened twice and lasted about 3 seconds or so). I've watched several movies with AMP on low, and each stuttered anywhere from 2 to 6 times during an entire viewing.

AMP on low, I noticed that the stuttering usually begins right after a scene change and can last anywhere from a couple seconds to over a minute, but it usually clears up if I momentarily pause the player during an episode. I also found that I can sometimes induce the stutter by quickly pressing pause/play a few times in rapid succession. Unfortunately I do not yet have cable and I am frighten about how poor this TV may act when do I get it (based on some other experiences here).

So now I have 2 days left to return this set to CC. I have previously been through 3 other brand LCD TVs, all which had hideous panel problems, but this one is absolutely perfect short of the stuttering problem. Also, the picture quality blows away all of my previous LCD experiences. Not to sound pessimistic, but I worry that there will not be a firmware upgrade to fix this problem since it was mostly fixed on the first sets with 2xxx firmware, which have now been out for a few months. It seems to me that there has been plenty of time to update the 1xxx firmware if the stutter fix was that simple.

The return clock is ticking and I wish I had more time to wait for the magic fix. Another almost satisfied Samsung customer...how sad.

With AMP @ OFF and fw1013.1 you should not get stutter...sounds like the 71f won't pay nice w/Oppo.

Your in the fortunate situation of being able to return until your satisfied....take advantage of it.

all is good....LNT4671 1005/1001 SQ01 w/old PS3 80G,Oppo 83 & 2400ES into Mirage OS3FS
post #16695 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forumite View Post

BB and CC usually will only price match each other unless there is a Tweeter in direct sight as well. They will laugh at you if you bring up a online price as I found out recently.

Saturday night i got my BB to pricematch bhphoto. the bhphoto price was 1595, shipping was 158. so they gave it to me at 1750, down from 1850.

if you get a good guy and a good manager, they will match anything to get the sale. i was glad i went - i got there at 8:45 saturday night, and the price jumped to $2100 sunday. i don't know if they would've matched any more than $100... I have a feeling they would've said no, then, citing the online merchant.
post #16696 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2007 View Post

And that is why you need to read the fine prints.

the biggest benefit is surge protection. not covered on manufacturer warranty, but covered under the BB/CC warranty. i think that's the only thing worth noting.

if you don't have BB/CC warranty, and you're not using a good surge protector, and you get hammered... well... try your homeowner's insurance, likely with a 1k deductible!
post #16697 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:

can somebody please tell me what the response time on the xbr4 is? i know the sammy 71F is 8ms

I know you said please but you should probably ask in the XBR4 forum
post #16698 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 05:24 PM

i dont know if this is stutter or not.....it just happened again.....picture just froze compleely...i changed the channel to the next channel (starzhd) and picture instantly came back on fine, then i changed back to tbshd...it was black for about 8 seconds before picture came back on

Does this sound like the "stutter" problem to anyone? it will break my heart to return this set bc it plays and looks amazing in every other facid.....

What would be the ULTIMATE stutter test? damn, prob is I DONT EXACTLY KNOW WHAT STUTTER IS/LOOKS LIKE
post #16699 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffhyder View Post

Hi Everyone!
Okay, so I'm about to jump into the HD world and get my new living room setup...
This is what I've decided to get:
TV: Samsung LN-T4071F
Player: 40GB PS3
HTiB: Onkyo HT-SP908
plus stands and cables etc...

Can someone spare me the 501 pages of work and summarize if this IS the best TV to get for the money? I am looking for a tv with 40-46" , 1080p, LCD, 120Hz...

Appreciate any input...Thanks!

Just pull the trigger thats all I can tell you...don't you see how large this thread is haha? I love my 71 series to death, the pros definitely outweigh the cons.
post #16700 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulLemonhead View Post

I know you said please but you should probably ask in the XBR4 forum

I accidently posted tht in this thread and have posted it in the sony thread...sorry
post #16701 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 05:25 PM

Hello everyone.

I'm considering getting either the 46 or 52 inch model Samsung. The FAQ thread was helpful. But I'm concerned about what firmware I will get once I get the TV. Is it correct that I could possibly have fewer problems if the TV has the "fw20xx" firmware? Also I read that some see a "flaslight effect", how do you accurately check for that? I read that someone recommended to take the TV back if you see this, should I be worried about this "effect"? I'm also concerned about dead pixels. Is there a correct way to check for them? Sorry for all the questions but this will be my first major purchase of a HDTV and want to be well informed of everything before making this purchase.
post #16702 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

F'this ....its going back tomorrow and im getting the 52 inch xbr4

Please do us all a favor and call Samsung and let them know your decision. They need to know they are losing customers over this.

post #16703 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:

I accidently posted tht in this thread and have posted it in the sony thread...sorry

I looked it up. What I found was a site that said the response time was 8ms. Take it for what it's worth.
post #16704 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Kruse. View Post

Since most of us here a technically inclined and well versed with the problems. Maybe youknowryan or onund could contact Samsung and ask if this select group of people on AVS to beta test the new firmware and provide feedback. Thus they would get some real world feedback on their progress.

I myself have done this for a couple of consumer electronic companies.

Heh. If they can please us, they can please anybody.

Great idea!

hope youknowryan sees this
post #16705 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:

is there a video or clip of this "stutter" glitch?

No way will i sit on a $3,000 purchase "hoping" for samsung to come along with a fix......ITS UNACCEPTABLE! I think i hear one of those 2 XBR's that CC has left calling me

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

Please do us all a favor and call Samsung and let them know your decision. They need to know they are losing customers over this.

Ive been feeling exactly the same way....my issue is mini-blinds and tbe but no real stutter.

I brought in the Pio 5080 Kuro and am running side-by-side with 4671. I'll make a detailed report in a day or two but for now, let's just say this:

Equal or better PQ
No issues
4" bigger
And oh yeah....Got it for $500 less than the Sammy.

This whole BS about Samsung going to fix this, while they're in the midst of rolling out a newer product, is simply a crock. People who believe, "Our engineers are working on a solution," are unequivocally more optimistic than I.

Good Luck in whatever choice you make.
post #16706 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i dont know if this is stutter or not.....it just happened again.....picture just froze compleely...i changed the channel to the next channel (starzhd) and picture instantly came back on fine, then i changed back to tbshd...it was black for about 8 seconds before picture came back on

Does this sound like the "stutter" problem to anyone? it will break my heart to return this set bc it plays and looks amazing in every other facid.....

What would be the ULTIMATE stutter test? damn, prob is I DONT EXACTLY KNOW WHAT STUTTER IS/LOOKS LIKE

although TBS can be one of the big offenders, that does not sound like classic stutter. With stutter, the picture will often times look like it is slowing down, then it will get really jerky, like it is dropping frames. For example, an arm being lifted should be a smooth motion, but with stutter, it will look like the arm is jerking up, and the frames/picture between the jerks is lost, i.e. you don't see it. Or, you might see someone walking. They will slow down, then jerk/jump ahead, again, like frames are being dropped.

post #16707 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulLemonhead View Post

I looked it up. What I found was a site that said the response time was 8ms. Take it for what it's worth.

they use the same panels, so it should be the same.

post #16708 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQV View Post

Hello everyone,

If the fix happens, and Samsung says it will, your set will be as good as any 200x. You have no panel problems.

Still in the end it is your decision. I don't see stutter and I prolly shouldnt even be replying.
post #16709 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 05:34 PM

thanks Paul......

You know, this is BS! downright BS!!!!!! if this IS the stutter im am LIVD!!!!

tv is gorgeous...PQ second to none.....i got at build date of jan 2008 and lates firmware (2004 nov 17)

i thought i was good......GOOD GOING SAMSUNG!

I can live with TBE (although i dont have that prob) BUT WHEN YOUR PICTURE FREEZES UP EVERY 10-15 MINS IS INTOLERABLE!!!!!

INSIMBI.....i now have TNTHD on with amp jacked to high...PQ is amazing....im trying to test out the channels you said you have probs with....well what do u know? as im typing TNTHD froze up., dont know if its stutter.....TV IS GOING BACK TOMORROW FOR THE XBR4....PIECE OF ****!
post #16710 of 28853 Old 01-28-2008, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Whatever it is called, the hiccups that are on TBS show up on any TV. I refuse to watch TBS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page