Official Toshiba Cinema Series REGZA -LX177 Thread, PART II with updated first post - Page 57 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1681 of 1735 Old 07-03-2008, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkevin View Post

I have a 52lx177 that is wall mounted with all wiring in the wall. I had an ethernet cable attached to the unit before it was installed specifically for firmware updates loaded thru my laptop. I have no access to the SD card slot. How can I update the firmware without using an SD card?

I just tried it and, no, it can't be done. I use Windows Home Server as a server and I set up a "Firmware" shared folder to hold the firmware. I copied the firmware from the SD Card to the share. After double-checking everything, I tried to upgrade using the LAN option to no avail. I get the same "Upgrade file not found" message that I get when trying to upgrade from the Internet.

I have no problem accessing the shares holding music, and photos, so I believe my share settings are correct. The TV sees the "Firmware" folder but somehow the upgrade app does not see the files therein.

I guess you'll have to (or did already) upgrade by using an SD Card.

Chaz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1735 Old 07-03-2008, 06:32 PM

Hey Chaz,

Thanks so much for your detailed responses to my questions.

I was hoping there was more to that ethernet port... Imagine if hackable; wow, you could run a remote client app like VNC and have your computer screen displayed/controlled without using a physical PC attached.

Thanks again!
-Mike
post #1683 of 1735 Old 07-06-2008, 06:10 AM

I searched but can't find "settings" I should use to optimize video and audio between my 42LX 177, Samsung 1500 BR and my Onkyo 805, all via hdmi @ 5.1. How can I be sure the BR passes 1080p-24 to the toshiba and the onkyo and that it is inplemented correctly? Thanks!
post #1684 of 1735 Old 07-17-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSA53 View Post

I searched but can't find "settings" I should use to optimize video and audio between my 42LX 177, Samsung 1500 BR and my Onkyo 805, all via hdmi @ 5.1. How can I be sure the BR passes 1080p-24 to the toshiba and the onkyo and that it is inplemented correctly? Thanks!

I may be hard to believe, but it doesn't matter that much. If you do not have ClearFrame and Film Stabilization turned on, even if you push a 1080p24 signal to the TV, it will do pull down (telecine) to make it a 60hz signal for display. If you do feed it a 1080p30 or 1080i60 signal and have ClearFrame and Film Stabilization turned on, you will end up w/ the pull down judder removed as if you fed it a 1080p24 signal.

As long as you do not see the telecine judder, just leave the video settings alone, and be happy. It's noticable if you look for it. Just look for motion and see if the motion is smooth, or if it's jerky. The extra delay happens every 12times a second for an extra 60th of a second, so you have to be looking closely to notice it.
post #1685 of 1735 Old 07-20-2008, 08:35 PM
VPB

Hello,

Does any one get/ever gotten white noise or heavily distorted audio instead of clear audio when running a DVD from a SD-DVD player to the display at 1080P?
My REGZA 46LX177, directly connected to a DVD player via HDMI at 1080P using LPCM/PCM at 48Bit, produces white noise or horribly distorted audio in this mode. The video is fine. Both video and audio are fine when running any material at 1080i. The DVD player got checked out fine by the manufacturer's tech support. The cable is a short 10Gbps Monster (other, lower speed cables made no difference).
Anyone?
Thanks,
VPB
post #1686 of 1735 Old 08-20-2008, 07:48 AM

I purchased my lcd in Dec 07 and so far so good. My service is Cablevision I/O into a Tivo HD series 2,Toshiba hd-a35,and a xbox360 with the standard hd cables(not hdmi). The other components use hdmi cables from mono-price and I have not had a problem with the lx177 at all. My only suggestion to Toshiba would be to move the inputs they were a little tough getting to when mounted and improve the remote. The hda-35 doesn't work with the lx-177 remote. I would like to thank everyone for their input and also for the hdmi cable suggestions,I saved alot of money.
post #1687 of 1735 Old 08-21-2008, 11:10 PM

Hey all.
I just set up my 57LX177 to my 360 & PS3, both via HDMI. When watching my Terminator 2 DVD on my 360 there is a very noticeable lip-sync issue that does not occur when watching the same DVD on my PS3.
The discrepancy occurs with the 360 whether or not I have the lip-sync feature on the TV turned on or off.
Also, when I am using the 360 game menu (the blades) there is a very slight delay between the time I press a button on the controller & the time I hear the corresponding sound from the TV's speakers.
Can anyone offer any help or explanation for these occurrences? I have spent the last few hours online trying to find an answer but was unable to wrap my head around the massive amounts of info. I found re: HDMI 1.2 vs 1.3 etc., etc.
Thanks in advance.
post #1688 of 1735 Old 08-22-2008, 01:33 AM

Well, thanks to tons of my clan members(COD4,PS3), telling me i was blind. I decided 5 months ago to jump into HD, and researched my eyelids black and blue. I never actually went around and looked at TV's mind you, just read and watched reviews. Asked fellow PS3 members what they had as well as friends in general. Interestingly enough...no one had a lx177 at all, yet some very respected A.V people love this series of LCD. So yesterday I found a new one online(46lx177), for 60 percent of the original 3k price. So now I wait(upto 10 days), but thanks to you wonderful people I have a huge knowledge base(this thread) to learn from. Who knows I might even ask a question,that has not been asked yet..LOL
post #1689 of 1735 Old 09-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Has there been any recent updates for the 52lx177, I have had mine for over 6 mos. and have been very happy with it. Stopped reading up on this thread about 3 mos. ago.
post #1690 of 1735 Old 09-02-2008, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

Has there been any recent updates for the 52lx177, I have had mine for over 6 mos. and have been very happy with it. Stopped reading up on this thread about 3 mos. ago.

Never mind, I went back a page and found it.
post #1691 of 1735 Old 09-02-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eis61374 View Post

Hey all.
I just set up my 57LX177 to my 360 & PS3, both via HDMI. When watching my Terminator 2 DVD on my 360 there is a very noticeable lip-sync issue that does not occur when watching the same DVD on my PS3.
The discrepancy occurs with the 360 whether or not I have the lip-sync feature on the TV turned on or off.
Also, when I am using the 360 game menu (the blades) there is a very slight delay between the time I press a button on the controller & the time I hear the corresponding sound from the TV's speakers.
Can anyone offer any help or explanation for these occurrences? I have spent the last few hours online trying to find an answer but was unable to wrap my head around the massive amounts of info. I found re: HDMI 1.2 vs 1.3 etc., etc.
Thanks in advance.

Does turning off the lip sync feature make the PS3 have issues? As far as I know, the Xbox 360 is only HDMI 1.2 (I don't own one), so cannot make use of the lip-sync feature of the LX177. You can try turning off ClearFrame, and turning on Game Mode to see if things improve?

How is your sound hooked up? Are you using the TV's speakers? or are you running seperate audio cables to your receiver? or are you using the optical output from the TV to your receiver?

If you are running seperate audio cables, turning on game mode, or adjusting the delay on your receiver should fix it. The other two should not see significant delays.

You could also try hooking up old composite and analog audio and see if there is still an issue w/ the Xbox 360.
post #1692 of 1735 Old 10-19-2008, 12:01 PM

I have a 52lx177, and just purchased BDP-s350 blu-ray player. I also have HD cable via Comcast, and a Yamaha HTD-5250 receiver.

I'm running the Comcast set top box to HDMI 1 on the lx177, and running the blu-ray to HDMI 2, then using the digital optical output to the Yamaha.

I'm pulling Dolby Digital 5.1 when watching HD content on Comcast, but all blu-ray discs display pro-logic. I've doublechecked settings on the blu-ray player, it's set to output Dolby Digital. Is there any reason why HDMI 2 wouldn't passthrough 5.1?

Am I missing something?
post #1693 of 1735 Old 10-22-2008, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wow, haven't check this thread in a while. Still kicking, I see. Happy to report that I am still using and loving my LX177 being one of the first to get one.

Also, I updated the first posts of this thread to include firmware update news. Let me know if there's something to be added to FAQ.

Enjoying Blu-ray @ 46" 1080/24p with uncompressed 5.1
--------------------------------------------
Toshiba LX177 Owners' Spreadsheet
post #1694 of 1735 Old 10-24-2008, 09:31 AM

Does anyone know what the new firmware consists of? (changelog?) Also, how does one install the firmware, is it simply a matter of copying the downloaded contents to an SD card? (then following the installation instructions)
post #1695 of 1735 Old 10-24-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnashtoshiba View Post

Does anyone know what the new firmware consists of? (changelog?) Also, how does one install the firmware, is it simply a matter of copying the downloaded contents to an SD card? (then following the installation instructions)

I installed it onto my 42LX177. I haven't gone into the service menu to find changes, if any, but, I perceive the display to be improved in some way. I can't place a finger on it, but the picture seems sharper. Purely subjective evaluation, though.

To install the firmware, extract the files to the root directory of an SD card, and follow the installation instructions. That's what I did.

Chaz
post #1696 of 1735 Old 10-26-2008, 07:16 PM

Does anyone know the discrete ir codes for the inputs on this TV? My harmony takes forever to turn the tv on and get it to the correct input since it has to go to the inpus menu and scroll through inputs.

If anyone has them, it would be greatly appreciated!
post #1697 of 1735 Old 10-28-2008, 05:52 PM

I do not know the discrete codes, but if your remote can learn codes, you can use the MODE SELECT KEY of the TV remote to teach your remote to directly switch to a specific input without going through the Input list menu (page 27 and 46 of the manual).

I used that to program my gyration remote so that I can switch to the Cable box or the PC with one button click, and never use the input select list
post #1698 of 1735 Old 11-06-2008, 01:12 PM

Is there a way to change the time zone displayed when watching digital OTA broadcasts? I emailed Toshiba, and they said this is encoded in the broadcast. If this is the case...all of the Seattle, WA time codes are wrong, because everything shows up as East Coast. Does anybody know?

TIA.
post #1699 of 1735 Old 11-18-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2thebone View Post

Is there a way to change the time zone displayed when watching digital OTA broadcasts? I emailed Toshiba, and they said this is encoded in the broadcast. If this is the case...all of the Seattle, WA time codes are wrong, because everything shows up as East Coast. Does anybody know?

I have the same problem. I believe that this is a TV problem, as I have looked at the ATSC spec, specifically A/65b Annex A, and it says:
These two quantities can be obtained from the user interface (indicating time zone and daylight savings observance) or from the conditional access system, if present, and stored in non-volatile receiver memory.

and in A/69 Section 6.6 it says:
A receiver needs two pieces of additional information before it can use the STT data to track local time of day: 1) the offset in hours from UTC (the time zone), and 2) whether or not daylight savings time is observed locally. For a digital television, this information may be entered directly by the consumer via a unit setup function. For a cable set-top box, this information may be delivered by the system operator.

So, it sure looks like we need to be able to set the timezone. The Toshiba guy may have been thinking of cable, but if you are OTA, then there needs to be a config to set.

If you could get the tech to quote the part of the spec that gives the TV set the time zone, I'll check it out to see if it's true, and also if it's available to OTA broadcast locally.
post #1700 of 1735 Old 12-15-2008, 04:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
I'm reposting this calibration report here so that other owners will have a better chance to read it. I've included it in the flat panel (Post#2) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drw9537 View Post

Gregg Loewen of Lion AV just did a calibration on my year old Toshiba 57 LCD and all I can say is WOW.
The improvements in color, black level and sharpness exceeded my expectations. Its like getting a new TV.
Gregg took the time to explain everything to me and gave great directions and tips on how to keep the set looking good and what all the controls really do.
Call me a satisfied customer!

Dave Whipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen View Post

hi guys

htw...it was a Toshiba 57LX177.....LCD panel.

post #1701 of 1735 Old 12-22-2008, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Just to let you know the FW only address closed captioning, I didn't bother downloading it for my 46.
post #1702 of 1735 Old 01-01-2009, 08:34 AM

I tried performing a firmware update this morning, and was following the instructions provided on Toshiba's website. I extracted the FW to a 32mb SD card, and had followed the instructions to step 4, where I inserted the SD card into the port, when I realized I had forgotten to turn the TV on! So I tried turning it on, but of course, it wouldn't turn on. At that point I realized something wasn't right. So I tried reversing my steps - removing the SD card and unplugged the TV, etc. My hope was that the TV would work as before once I plugged it back in. But it's still not turning on. When I plug it in, the yellow LED indicator on the front just flashes (it flashes a few times, pauses, flashes again, etc).

Did I just ruin my TV? Any suggestions? I could just kick myself for not having read the instructions more carefully. I hope it can be restored.

Thanks for any help with this. I appreciate it.

Pat
post #1703 of 1735 Old 01-06-2009, 02:14 PM

pkelecy,

You should be very careful updating firmware - this opration can easily render your expensive equipment useless.

Here what you could try to do:

1) Unplug TV, wait for 10 min, plug it in, power up

2) If above doesn't work, do the same with SD card in.

Hope this helps
post #1704 of 1735 Old 01-06-2009, 02:21 PM

To Teepanen,

Please update 1st page - maximum PC resolution over analog VGA is 1024x768 (XGA) not 1208x1024 (as per LX177 manual, page 23). It's probabbly worth to mention all supported resolutions for both VGA and HDMI (HDMI only supports one VESA resolution - 640x480 - sick!)

Panel indeed is Samsung - LTA 520 HE 04, S-PVA, 1920x1080, 120Hz, 10-bit, extended gamut (90% of NTSC), contrast ratio 2000 (40% haze) , 500cd/m2, G-G response time 8mS, 24 CCFLs
post #1705 of 1735 Old 01-15-2009, 07:43 AM

I'll have to admit, I haven't read all 57 pages here carefully.

But, it sounds like nobody has been successful in a firmware upgrade from the network? I was able to do that. It's never worked from the internet though.

However, not sure if that caused my next problem or not... but about a month or two ago, my 42LX177 started just randomly rebooting while I was watching it. Not often, has only happened maybe 5 or 6 times. I called Toshiba, who suggested a service call. I called the local contact, explained I'm not going to be able to get it to happen while they are here, and they called their "tech line" and ordered a motherboard before they even came out. They came out there other day and replaced it. But, now the first HDMI port doesn't work. He saw that when he was here, and is ordering another board. (Kind of gives credence to what people were saying about swapping returned parts!) Hopefully these issues are resolved before the warranty is done next month. I've really loved the TV otherwise.
post #1706 of 1735 Old 02-15-2009, 09:26 AM

I was just wondering if there was any way to view what version of firmware is installed on my TV. I have the 46lx177.
post #1707 of 1735 Old 02-15-2009, 09:33 PM

Menu->Setup->Installation->System Status->System Information
post #1708 of 1735 Old 03-07-2009, 06:28 AM
hix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz`m`Chaz View Post

I installed it onto my 42LX177. I haven't gone into the service menu to find changes, if any, but, I perceive the display to be improved in some way. I can't place a finger on it, but the picture seems sharper. Purely subjective evaluation, though.

To install the firmware, extract the files to the root directory of an SD card, and follow the installation instructions. That's what I did.

Chaz

I'm a little slow here and haven't been on this site for a while... Have had this tv for almost a year now and love this thing. Was thinking of downloading the firmware update to see if it will help with the audio/video sync - The only time i really notice a problem with the audio/video synchronization is when playing some games on my ps3.

How exactly do I "extract the files to the root directory of an SD card". I have a sandisk card; do I simply drag the downloaded firmware update on to the card. The files downloaded as a zip file, do i have to do anything with that? I should have no problem after getting the files onto the SD properly.

Thanks
post #1709 of 1735 Old 03-07-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hix View Post

I'm a little slow here and haven't been on this site for a while... Have had this tv for almost a year now and love this thing. Was thinking of downloading the firmware update to see if it will help with the audio/video sync - The only time i really notice a problem with the audio/video synchronization is when playing some games on my ps3.

How exactly do I "extract the files to the root directory of an SD card". I have a sandisk card; do I simply drag the downloaded firmware update on to the card. The files downloaded as a zip file, do i have to do anything with that? I should have no problem after getting the files onto the SD properly.

Thanks

Are you using Windows XP/Vista? If so, make sure your SD card is inserted and double-click on the icon which should open a window to the root folder. Right-click the icon for the zipped firmware and right-drag into the SD card's window. Release the right-mouse button and choose "Extract..." Complete the extraction wizard.

If done correctly, that'll extract the compressed files onto the SD card's root folder. Then do the firmware upgrade according to the instructions.

If you're using Win9x or Linux, or are using a third-party zip utility with XP/Vista, then the extraction method will vary.

Chaz
post #1710 of 1735 Old 03-12-2009, 06:43 AM
hix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz`m`Chaz View Post

Are you using Windows XP/Vista? If so, make sure your SD card is inserted and double-click on the icon which should open a window to the root folder. Right-click the icon for the zipped firmware and right-drag into the SD card's window. Release the right-mouse button and choose "Extract..." Complete the extraction wizard.

If done correctly, that'll extract the compressed files onto the SD card's root folder. Then do the firmware upgrade according to the instructions.

If you're using Win9x or Linux, or are using a third-party zip utility with XP/Vista, then the extraction method will vary.

Chaz

thanks,

I've done this process and have tried to follow the Toshiba instructions now.

When I put the SD card into the slot on the back of the TV nothing is happening... I thought that the softwear update screen would automatically pop up...

Am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page