Official Samsung 81 Series LNT-xx81f Owner's Thread Part II - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2241 Old 09-11-2007, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by relicvfx View Post

Agreed, easier to take it back to Best Buy.

I have a couple questions for you first.

1.Did you notice the flickering from the first time you used the set, or did it start to happen a while later?

2.Do you see the flickering on all scenes, or just where there is bright areas over dark?

Thanks

1. the flickering is not all the time, it only happens sometimes, but i can make it happen by switching inputs, resolutions, or channels.

2. All scenes, this is not a halo or mura artifact this is a faulty zone, very noticeable.

Also after i hooked up my computer i noticed there were 2 faulty zones.

Samsung D7000 65"
Onkyo 905
BIH F12
6x Energy RC-10
WMC ceton4 DVR/Media PC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2241 Old 09-11-2007, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by santori_time View Post

$2000 more? The MSRP on the 40" 81 is only $300 more than the 40" 71. I think I can swallow a $300 difference.

MSRP=LOL
For my 46 it is a 2000 difference after taxes between what the 71 cost me with price adjustment and what the 81 cost me. Now I can imagine what I could buy for 2000 more like the onkyo 805 and some really nice speakers.... This tv is not worth MSRP and it seems like samsung is pulling a sony maneuver on this set. 81 rocks in it's own setting but far from the price hike compared to the 71. I learned that one out.

Wonder how you came to the conclusion that the 71 is glossier than the 81?

So any more word on this faulty zone BIGJOHN? Could you take some pictures, I am wondering what it looks like when displaying a dark or light scene. Guess it would be wise to use your AMEX on these sets or buy the extended cause it would suck in a year to have one zone go out.

Hey BigJohn, if you turn Led LD off so that all the LED's are on all the time, does it still show the same flickering problem?

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
post #543 of 2241 Old 09-11-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohns1997SS View Post

1. the flickering is not all the time, it only happens sometimes, but i can make it happen by switching inputs, resolutions, or channels.

2. All scenes, this is not a halo or mura artifact this is a faulty zone, very noticeable.

Also after i hooked up my computer i noticed there were 2 faulty zones.

That's gotta suck. Especially for a high ticket item like this. Sorry to hear that you've gotta go through the pain of returning it.

1. What I meant to ask is, did the tv have the problem from the first power on (straight from factory) or did an array (or 2) get funky after viewing it for a while?

If it is an issue from the factory (or shipping from the factory) then o.k.. If not..............

Relic
post #544 of 2241 Old 09-11-2007, 10:09 PM

I had saw both sets side by side at BB...the 81 was far less glossy than the 71 in my eyes...

and Yes...I did get less than MSRP....to me it was well worth it!

One can always wait till black friday or the after easter sale or the labor day sale..so on so forth....no matter what...you are at a lose lose situation...the technological advance in these things will NEVER stop or slow down....u buy on black friday...that easter there will be cutting edge technology that u never heard off...will u say...hmm..I wish I would have waited???

it all a matter of when the right time for YOU to pull the trigger..
post #545 of 2241 Old 09-11-2007, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by relicvfx View Post

That's gotta suck. Especially for a high ticket item like this. Sorry to hear that you've gotta go through the pain of returning it.

1. What I meant to ask is, did the tv have the problem from the first power on (straight from factory) or did an array (or 2) get funky after viewing it for a while?

If it is an issue from the factory (or shipping from the factory) then o.k.. If not..............

Relic

I noticed it within the first 15 minutes of viewing.

Samsung D7000 65"
Onkyo 905
BIH F12
6x Energy RC-10
WMC ceton4 DVR/Media PC
post #546 of 2241 Old 09-11-2007, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpjunkie View Post

MSRP=LOL
For my 46 it is a 2000 difference after taxes between what the 71 cost me with price adjustment and what the 81 cost me. Now I can imagine what I could buy for 2000 more like the onkyo 805 and some really nice speakers.... This tv is not worth MSRP and it seems like samsung is pulling a sony maneuver on this set. 81 rocks in it's own setting but far from the price hike compared to the 71. I learned that one out.

So any more word on this faulty zone BIGJOHN? Could you take some pictures, I am wondering what it looks like when displaying a dark or light scene. Guess it would be wise to use your AMEX on these sets or buy the extended cause it would suck in a year to have one zone go out.

Hey BigJohn, if you turn Led LD off so that all the LED's are on all the time, does it still show the same flickering problem?

I only have a camera phone from a razr right now and i would really need video to show what 's going on.

Not sure about turning of LD to see if it stops.

EDIT : It's now been doing it for the last 5 minutes and is starting to happen much more frequently. Basically the zone is off for a period of about 2 seconds and then it flashes all the way on for a split second and then back to all off. It's only for this zone and can been seen even with bright content.

Turning off LD doesn't help the situation.

Samsung D7000 65"
Onkyo 905
BIH F12
6x Energy RC-10
WMC ceton4 DVR/Media PC
post #547 of 2241 Old 09-12-2007, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpjunkie View Post

MSRP=LOL

Firstly, I never mentioned anything about gloss. Secondly, I have been quoted, as have other Canadians on this site, prices well below MSRP on the 81 series before it has even come out here. Perhaps Canadian retailers are more flexible with the price of these units (usually this isn't the case).

Current Equipment:
Panasonic TC-P42G25
Logitech Z680 5.1
Xbox 360
PS3
Gaming PC (Core i7 2600, GeForce 670, 16 GB RAM)

post #548 of 2241 Old 09-12-2007, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjgkelly View Post

The one thing that I have notice on a display this large and with this much resolution is that broadcast anomalies are much more visible on it than they are on smaller displays. For example, I was watching golf this past weekend and their was so much blur in Tiger Woods' face that it didn't even look like it was connected to his head. I immediately paniced, thinking that there was a major motion blur issue with these displays. However, after taking a "close" look at my smaller displays they were displaying the same anomaly, but it was just much harder to notice. I'm not complaing; when the content being delivered to this display is good quality it looks incredible, but when it's bad it will be much more obvious on this and other large flat panel displays than it would be on smaller displays.

For some reason, the golf channel broadcast I get is very blurry as well. It is very annoying because every ball leaves a trail of where it has been (even on slow putts). Its definitely just the channel though and not the TV. When I paused the feed, I could still see a long trail behind the ball, or any other moving object for that matter. Other channels are much better. Anyone else see this with the golf channel?
post #549 of 2241 Old 09-12-2007, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybrulez View Post

What he said. This only pertains to watching in the dark where inconsistencies in black happen. And that's when the problems started for me. Notice how I didn't say word beyond 'floating' black until I got it in a dark room and then I began busting out all the stops in describing what I was seeing.

I am picky though to be sure. If it doesn't bug you.. don't give it a seconds thought. I too watch with a backlight and I still noticed it. Remember even with my major caveats the Samsung 81 puts out a good picture most of the time. Movies like 300 can look spectacular, from a pure contrast standpoint.

One thing I've really started to notice is a halo from the LD around my health meter when I am in a dark area in video games. Currently I have my TV dialed in for deep blacks. If I up the brightness, it does go away. It doesn't really bother me that much, but it is fairly obvious with the right settings and right environment.
post #550 of 2241 Old 09-12-2007, 07:08 AM

4681 #2 arrived last night... This time with no damage from shipping I hooked up all of my feeds and started tweaking settings last night. So far so good...
post #551 of 2241 Old 09-12-2007, 09:58 AM

How good is the LED Motion Plus feat. on the 81f? I'm wondering because the same setting has been removed on the F9-series in Sweden.
post #552 of 2241 Old 09-12-2007, 10:00 AM

I ordered a 5281 from Crutchfield about two weeks ago, and I'm still on pins and needles waiting to get a call from the shipping company to let me know that it's on the way. Has anyone here who's ordered an 81 series TV from Crutchfield received theirs yet?
post #553 of 2241 Old 09-12-2007, 10:08 AM

Guys, may i ask how much you actually pay (incl. taxes but excl. shipping) for the 5281 in the US?
post #554 of 2241 Old 09-12-2007, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerox_no1 View Post

How good is the LED Motion Plus feat. on the 81f? I'm wondering because the same setting has been removed on the F9-series in Sweden.

I don't use this feature as it dims the screen alot, but i don't noticed any motion artifacts either so i really don't feel that it's needed.

Samsung D7000 65"
Onkyo 905
BIH F12
6x Energy RC-10
WMC ceton4 DVR/Media PC
post #555 of 2241 Old 09-12-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:

I can't tell any difference in motion quality between having it on or off watching things like Batman Returns on my Toshiba HD-A2, but maybe I'm missing something.
post #556 of 2241 Old 09-12-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjschenk View Post

Hi Zerox_no1,

It's not huge. I mean, it does make a difference for some viewers (including me) in some circumstances, but it is not one of the central features used to improve the picture quality. A good number of users, including both Sharpjunkie and Johnnybrulez, have reported finding no benefit at all to it.

So the F9s no longer have the Motion Plus feature at all? That's curious. Do you know when it was removed? Did Samsung say anything about why they removed it? I smell a story in here somewhere...

Yours,

David

Ok, thanks!

Im going to translate what Snowstorm wrote at Minhembio. I'll try to translate as best as I can.

Apparently someone talked to an Samsung rep at IFA who said they had to de-activate it because they had found out that it caused flicker which was discovered at the IFA preview in June/July. They were also told that it would be activated again if a solution were to be found before the product launch this fall (now?).

Any flickering on the 81 with Motion Plus?
post #557 of 2241 Old 09-12-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Ok, thanks!

Im going to translate what Snowstorm wrote at Minhembio. I'll try to translate as best as I can.

Apparently someone talked to an Samsung rep at IFA who said they had to de-activate it because they had found out that it caused flicker which was discovered at the IFA preview in June/July. They were also told that it would be activated again if a solution were to be found before the product launch this fall (now?).

My guess is that the European models are usually 50Hz refresh as opposed to US models 60Hz. I suspect that since the LED MotionPlus uses backlight off/on as it's blur reduction method that flicker is much more noticeable at a 50Hz rate than on the US model 60Hz rate. Hence that may be why it is removed on the European version.
post #558 of 2241 Old 09-12-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:

I can't see any - and again, I don't see any improvement either. FWIW, I also just took shots of the set at 1/500th a second with it on and off, and there was no flickering or change in luminance apparent. On CRTs scanning is apparent easily as slow as 1/60th a second.
post #559 of 2241 Old 09-12-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaybee View Post

My guess is that the European models are usually 50Hz refresh as opposed to US models 60Hz. I suspect that since the LED MotionPlus uses backlight off/on as it's blur reduction method that flicker is much more noticeable at a 50Hz rate than on the US model 60Hz rate. Hence that may be why it is removed on the European version.

I think you are on to something here.

Current Equipment:
Panasonic TC-P42G25
Logitech Z680 5.1
Xbox 360
PS3
Gaming PC (Core i7 2600, GeForce 670, 16 GB RAM)

post #560 of 2241 Old 09-12-2007, 02:45 PM

I've been dying to see one of these sets in person! I just have to know; has anyone at all seen one on display at a Best Buy in Wichita, Kansas?
post #561 of 2241 Old 09-12-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohns1997SS View Post

I noticed it within the first 15 minutes of viewing.

In response to your problems, I wanted to post my own. This past Tuesday I picked up my BRAND NEW 4081. Right out of the box, as soon as I plugged in the TV, it turned itself on. I thought nothing of it because it operated normally until I turned it off for the night. But now the TV is constantly turning itself on and off! I am unable to make any changes to the settings, because it cuts off and reverts back to the defaults. The remote is erratic as well, with buttons such as mute and source suddenly acting as duplicate power buttons! Has anyone heard of a Samsung TV operating like this? I have to wait until next Wednesday for a tech to come to my house to witness the problem before I can return it. Until then I unable to leave the TV plugged in. Please help!
post #562 of 2241 Old 09-12-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjnyc View Post

I ordered a 5281 from Crutchfield about two weeks ago, and I'm still on pins and needles waiting to get a call from the shipping company to let me know that it's on the way. Has anyone here who's ordered an 81 series TV from Crutchfield received theirs yet?

No, I have not received the set I ordered on Aug 20th, However I ordered the LN-T5781F and to my knowledge I don't think even BB has this model yet.
post #563 of 2241 Old 09-12-2007, 03:37 PM

How is the 81 series superior to the XBR4? I currently have a 40' XBR4 and have 30 days to decided whether or not to keep it or get an 81

PSN: Unbreakable21
XBL: xgho5tx
post #564 of 2241 Old 09-12-2007, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Gaming View Post

How is the 81 series superior to the XBR4? I currently have a 40' XBR4 and have 30 days to decided whether or not to keep it or get an 81

The 81 will render blacks that will actually look black in a dark room.

I don't know what I am doing! AHHHHHHH!!!!
post #565 of 2241 Old 09-12-2007, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmurtaugh View Post

In response to your problems, I wanted to post my own. This past Tuesday I picked up my BRAND NEW 4081. Right out of the box, as soon as I plugged in the TV, it turned itself on. I thought nothing of it because it operated normally until I turned it off for the night. But now the TV is constantly turning itself on and off! I am unable to make any changes to the settings, because it cuts off and reverts back to the defaults. The remote is erratic as well, with buttons such as mute and source suddenly acting as duplicate power buttons! Has anyone heard of a Samsung TV operating like this? I have to wait until next Wednesday for a tech to come to my house to witness the problem before I can return it. Until then I unable to leave the TV plugged in. Please help!

You both have bad sets... my 5281 shows none of the symptoms you are describing... return them.
post #566 of 2241 Old 09-12-2007, 04:06 PM

Got mine today. I am truly floored! Like I stated before, I must not be nearly as critical a viewer as other so I think this TV is the best picture I have ever seen once dialed in a bit!

One question to those that own this set...

Are you guys using the xxYCC color setting? I just tried it and I love it!!! It pushes greens real hard on default but when you adjust colors with the xxYCC on it opens this set up even more IMO.

Any others feel the same way?

Thanks,

Spooky
post #567 of 2241 Old 09-12-2007, 04:07 PM

I'm not using xxYCC - it made the colors look unnatural, but I haven't played with it extensively. I have however dialed in more green tint, however.
post #568 of 2241 Old 09-12-2007, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky View Post

Got mine today. I am truly floored! Like I stated before, I must not be nearly as critical a viewer as other so I think this TV is the best picture I have ever seen once dialed in a bit!

One question to those that own this set...

Are you guys using the xxYCC color setting? I just tried it and I love it!!! It pushes greens real hard on default but when you adjust colors with the xxYCC on it opens this set up even more IMO.

Any others feel the same way?

I felt the same way on mine. I didn't like the colors with it off. I turned it on, and I thought there was some accuracy issues but at least colors were as intense as a TV w/ this kind of black level should have. I toned down the color saturation too of course.

I don't know what I am doing! AHHHHHHH!!!!
post #569 of 2241 Old 09-12-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmurtaugh View Post

I hope that these are isolated incidents. Anyone else with issues?

It sounds like a power relay/regulation/distribution error (I don't know what the tv technical term is). Might explain the flickering LED arrays and possessed power button.
post #570 of 2241 Old 09-12-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idjiit View Post

I'm not using xxYCC - it made the colors look unnatural, but I haven't played with it extensively. I have however dialed in more green tint, however.

Idjiit, your colors look great!! There is a lot of punch and snap to them, and they look pretty accurate.

For people who don't know, xxYCC is a new color standard for HDMI outputs that shows a much broader color range than the typical NTSC color standard used in North America. You won't see it in any broadcasts, SD or HD, for quite some time because of the bandwidth needed to push all the extra color information through the pipe. That is the whole thing behind HDMI 1.3 - Higher bandwidth for better color and deeper audio. Only some BlueRay and HDdvd sources have xxYCC encoded in the picture. This is a brand new standard being introduced and it will take a while to become more mainstream.

If you turn on xxYCC without having a source encoded with it you will be looking at a wrong representation of the source. If you like the POP... so be it. But for those who want color accuracy you should turn it off without the proper source material.

Relic
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page