Official Samsung 81 Series LNT-xx81f Owner's Thread Part II - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got the LN-T4081 today. I will set it up later this evening and start initial testing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Johnny,

Forgive me if you have already covered this, and I missed it. Have you done any extended viewing of regular HDTV on the 81 during daylight conditions, with perhaps drapes or blinds closed, and at night with some light, such as a bias lamp on. If you have, can you share your thoughts on what you felt about how the set looked in those settings. Also, have you noticed any glass reflections issues in any of those conditions?.

Haven't watched much in daylight conditions since I'm never home during the daytime. But the day I got it, I can safely say, this ain't no matte LCD. It isn't even an anti-glare plasma. But I don't think its any worse than older plasmas at fighting glare. Next to an older plasma it should be comparable. The newer plasmas or matte LCDs? Heck no. If you got alot of ambient lighting, I can see why this set may not be for you.

For me, I tried watching in the complete darkness and I hated it. I loved seeing my room glow nothing but it was just the biggest headache. So once again I am a fanboy of the biaslight. I got a 6500k florescent light behind the set and I love it! With that on, blacks are literally blackhole black at all times. W/o the bias light you will get a little glow on the darkest scenes. Much better than the older TVs though. I vomit at the sight of older plasmas and LCDs when the lights are totally off.

I don't know what I am doing! AHHHHHHH!!!!
post #93 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserEdge View Post

Just got the LN-T4081 today. I will set it up later this evening and start initial testing.

Good luck Laser. May your luck transcend what the past owners have had. I am making some progress though. Yaaay!

post #94 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by naruto View Post

I just took a bunch of pictures at roughly about 3:00pm pacific time so it's pretty bright right now. I have a sliding door to my left as you can see in the pic below. It is actually very bright in the room.. it looks dark closer to the tv only because the brightness of the curtains is overpowering the camera.

You can see the corner of my old 32" CRT still sitting there, haven't gotten around to moving it yet :P

This is what is facing just opposite of the tv. As you can see there are more light sources from up high, although at that angle those windows don't cause glare unless i slouch:

Now here are some shots for you guys to view some sharpness and glare:

In that last pic you can see my reflection in the guys' suit.

I don't generally watch movies during the daytime but it is definitely doable to me. Yes there is some glare but it is not that bad in my situation.

Actually your pictures are very impressive, and very encouraging. Considering all of the strong daylight that it is being exposed to, it handles it very well. The reflections do not seem to be nearly as big an issue as was first speculated.

I like the look of those pictures. What settings do you have, and was the Local Dimming feature on or off.

Thanks for the pictures.

post #95 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

I just took a bunch of pictures at roughly about 3:00pm pacific time so it's pretty bright right now. I have a sliding door to my left as you can see in the pic below. It is actually very bright in the room.. it looks dark closer to the tv only because the brightness of the curtains is overpowering the camera.

In that last pic you can see my reflection in the guys' suit.

I don't generally watch movies during the daytime but it is definitely doable to me. Yes there is some glare but it is not that bad in my situation.

I'd bet everyone's eyes are right of your reflection with the twin peaks!

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #96 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybrulez View Post

Haven't watched much in daylight conditions since I'm never home during the daytime. But the day I got it, I can safely say, this ain't no matte LCD. It isn't even an anti-glare plasma. But I don't think its any worse than older plasmas at fighting glare. Next to an older plasma it should be comparable. The newer plasmas or matte LCDs? Heck no. If you got alot of ambient lighting, I can see why this set may not be for you.

For me, I tried watching in the complete darkness and I hated it. I loved seeing my room glow nothing but it was just the biggest headache. So once again I am a fanboy of the biaslight. I got a 6500k florescent light behind the set and I love it! With that on, blacks are literally blackhole black at all times. W/o the bias light you will get a little glow on the darkest scenes. Much better than the older TVs though. I vomit at the sight of older plasmas and LCDs when the lights are totally off.

Thanks Johnny,

Naruto posted some nice pictures of it during strong daylight. They look good for such bright conditions. Now if the colors settings can be figured out, it is starting to look more and more like a very good display.
post #97 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I was looking forward to my Avia disc coming in through the mail but it sounds like it's not the least bit helpfull to use it to calibrate this tv based on your findings, Johnny and Sharp. I'll play with it regardless. I just hope someone gets it professionally calibrated soon.

I spent most of my day just enjoying the tv and putting together a Sanus PFFP2B pedestal stand for my 5281 and then redoing all the wire management. Everybody likes to see pics, so here is a little pic whoring action

Very nice naruto....
post #98 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Johnny,

Naruto posted some nice pictures of it during strong daylight. They look good for such bright conditions. Now if the colors settings can be figured out, it is starting to look more and more like a very good display.

I know. Naruto has a nice set up. Anime fans need more posters and what not on the walls though... unwritten rule.

post #99 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

I'd bet everyone's eyes are right of your reflection with the twin peaks!

Like..whatever.....

Go 24
post #100 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Can you comment on the circled areas on whether it's the camera or it can be seen in person also?

Very nice pics BTW

Samsung D7000 65"
Onkyo 905
BIH F12
6x Energy RC-10
WMC ceton4 DVR/Media PC
post #101 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:

I like the look of those pictures. What settings do you have, and was the Local Dimming feature on or off.

Thanks for the pictures.

I have mostly default settings in Movie mode, with contrast set to 85, brightness at 64. LED Motion Plus and LED SmartLighting are both on.
post #102 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjschenk View Post

Hi GrantR,
This is excellent advice. Would you give me permission to post a copy of this over on the Settings and Issues thread? It seems to me this is exactly the kind of information that will help many of us with our efforts to find ideal settings.

Sure. Although it's simply one of many ways to fiddle with one part of the calibration process. To each their own
post #103 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes...now those pics are much better and during the daytime that is even more impressive.
I do seem to see some edge enhancement though.
Is your sharpness a little too high?

My HT

In the words of English philosopher Edmund Burke, ÂAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Â
post #104 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohns1997SS View Post

Can you comment on the circled areas on whether it's the camera or it can be seen in person also?

Very nice pics BTW

I think that's the result of 3 things: camera, compressed picture down to 800 x 600 size, and a paused HD DVD disc. I just rewatched that scene about 5 times and it looks much better when it is playing. The colors don't look so good when the DVD is paused and it seems more grainy.
post #105 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think that's the result of 3 things: camera, compressed picture down to 800 x 600 size, and a paused HD DVD disc. I just rewatched that scene about 5 times and it looks much better when it is playing. The colors don't look so good when the DVD is paused and it seems more grainy.

Good for you Naruto. I'm one of them that realy isn't happy with the colors when the screen is moving.

post #106 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have mostly default settings in Movie mode, with contrast set to 85, brightness at 64. LED Motion Plus and LED SmartLighting are both on.

Have you noticed anything that stands out about the Motion Plus or Local Dimming effects, or does it all seem like it should be. If you watch a movie,, are you able to immerse yourself in it, and not even be distracted or even slightly distracted by something that the set is doing. To me, it all boils down to that. If someone can enjoy the viewing experience, and not even get distracted by something that the set is doing, and after a couple of hours of viewing feel like they just had a very enjoyable experience, then that is really what it is all about. Do you watch any sports. There are some football games on tonight, and if you are going to watch one, I would love to have you provide some feedback on how the set performed on such live sports coverage.

post #107 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good for you Naruto. I'm one of them that realy isn't happy with the colors when the screen is moving.

Yeah..I am noticing some things that bug me also just from the pics.
It is interesting how The Matrix3 shot there has that haze from the ambient light just as a plasma does.
I was able to study that pic without drooling like others.

My HT

In the words of English philosopher Edmund Burke, ÂAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Â
post #108 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental1 View Post

Yeah..I am noticing some things that bug me also just from the pics.
It is interesting how The Matrix3 shot there has that haze from the ambient light just as a plasma does.
I was able to study that pic without drooling like others.

Hahaha. Well its not that. Its just I've been living with the panel for the last two days, and the color of red is just tickin' me off. Even in that screenshot (variables aside) the color of red resembles exactly what I see at home.

post #109 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Nice shot naruto, nice pad as well. keep em coming!!!

johnnybrulez if you need camera help, let me know bro.

Btw, thanks for the PM info.
post #110 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hahaha. Well its not that. Its just I've been living with the panel for the last two days, and the color of red is just tickin' me off. Even in that screenshot (variables aside) the color of red resembles exactly what I see at home.

There has to be a way to regulate the colors options. Why not call Samsung Service support and ask some questions. If they are going to put it on the market without sufficient user instructions, then they should at least be willing to take calls and come up with some answers for you.
post #111 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 06:49 PM

Just for S&G's I called tech support and asked if they had in-house calibration settings for the 81 series and the guy said no. He said that it is up to the user to set the colors and other settings to their own tastes. He also said they don't read anything on this board. I bet they all do. Anyway, maybe another tech or supervisor would be more helpful.
post #112 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There has to be a way to regulate the colors options. Why not call Samsung Service support and ask some questions. If they are going to put it on the market without sufficient user instructions, then they should at least be willing to take calls and come up with some answers for you.

Samsung Department: Hello!

JB: Hey Samsung. Your 81 series looks pretty sweet w/ the lights off. Why do the colors look like everyone went to neon happy world?

Samsung Department: You have bad eyes sir.

JB: Just checking.

In other words.... I don't think it'll be worth it. I'll wait till someone solves it here or a pro-calibrator does something about it.

post #113 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 07:08 PM

Does anybody know what Samsung means when they state the TV as having "RS-232C compatibility"?

I don't see any serial ports. Is there a way you can hookup to the USB port to control the TV? Or is there an internal RS232 connector that we can access if we open up the TV?
post #114 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 07:19 PM

Liked: 12
Can any of you guys tell me what are the advantages of have LED in the Samsung 81 series versus the one that does not (71 series)?

Hieu Hoang
post #115 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 07:31 PM

I love my 5281 but it always seems to have a haze look to it without alot of punch.A setting that has worked great for me,I just discoved is turning HDMI black level to normal.It now has the sharpness and punch I love.It came preset with that setting to low.I discoved if I disconnect my HDMI and then change it to normal and reconnect HDMI my picture looks much sharper and better.
Hope this helps..
post #116 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 07:45 PM

Do you go into the tv's menu to put the HDM I to normal? If so,what part of the menu?

Marc
SONY KDL-46XBR4 And
Directv-Also
Dish Network
Samsung Blue Ray DVD Player
post #117 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfaprilbob View Post

]I discoved if I disconnect my HDMI and then change it to normal and reconnect HDMI my picture looks much sharper and better.

Great tip! Are you saying if you just change it to Normal, it doesn't work? You HAVE to unplug it then change it, then plug it back in? Sounds like it sets its parameters during the HDCP handshaking and never does it again.

This is a definate possibility for a firmware update fix.
post #118 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 07:58 PM

I have setup the 4081 and connected it to my gaming PC. I am using a EVGA Geforce 8800 Ultra with a DVI to HDMI cable from monoprice. 1920X1080 60Hz progressive is displaying perfectly. The rest of the computer is a E6850 C2D running at 3.9 Ghz with 4Gigs ram 4-3-3-10 linked and sync'd on a EVGA 680i A1 mainboard.

I did a course eyeball calibration. Brightness at 45 seems to be the best spot to still make out 1 step above black. I haven't really tuned in the contrast to the edge of white crush yet. I could make out 2 steps below white 255 with contrast set all the way up to 87. There is something really off on the red for this panel. The greens and blues look ok, but the red needs some real work.

After the course calibration I jumped into HL2: Episode 1. First thing I did was make sure V-sync is on. I want to run through the area where you first encounter the zombines to real give the panel a good gaming test. Any gamer that remembers this area should know its very dark and you have to use your flash light quite a bit.

So far I have confirmed LED motion plus makes a big difference in reducing motion blur. Still not at CRT levels. I have my Diamond Pro 2070 cloned next the 4081. There is no blur on the 2070. There is still blur even with LED Motion plus enabled the 4081. Some of the detail is lost when turnning the view, but you can still reasonably make out details. Without motion plus enabled much more detailed is lost when panning the view with the mouse. I was using Alex's face as a focal point to see if detail is lost. It is definitely much better than any LCD I have seen before in terms of handling motion. BTW my prior LCD panel is a Sharp LC45GX6U.

In terms of input to screen lag I really don't notice any. Again I have my CRT monitor cloned here. I tried both Game Mode On and Game Mode Off/Movie Mode and don't notice any difference between the two. It feels like there may be a very slight lag. I will need to use the camera to verify.

So far the 4081 looks like it has the potential to be a great gaming monitor. Still way early to come to any conclusions.
post #119 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 07:58 PM

Yes,go to the menu and under setup, scroll until you see HDMI black level.It's is highlighted out but you can adjust this feature by disconnecting HDMI cable and using TV menu and reconnecting cable.It saves the adjustment to normal also.
post #120 of 2242 Old 08-30-2007, 08:08 PM

Alright, I just saw a 46" 81 series at Magnolia in BB playing a Discovery HD feed, so here are my impressions:

When I first walked into Magnolia, I could immediately identify the 81 series since it was the brightest and most eye-catching TV in th room. Of course, they had it on the showroom "dynamic" settings, but it looked like DNIE was off. The set had the deepest colors and most contrast of the entire room.

Since all of the TVs in the room were set to their out-of-box showroom settings, I decided to make some comparisons before changing the 81 series settings.

Shadow detail was excellent. In dynamic mode there was a very slight crush, but nothing like what some others have been describing in this thread. I would have to say that the 81 had better out-of-box shadow detail than any other set in the room. Right next to the 81 was a PRO-1150, and it must have had poor out-of-box settings as the shadow detail of the 81 blew it away. I am sure the 1150 could have had shadow detail as good as or even better than the 81 if it was at better settings. Walking into Magnolia, however, the 81 series had the best shadow detail of all sets in the room. Unfortunately, there was no XBR4 there.

Colors were equally excellent. It didn't look flourescent or green. In fact, for its dynamic mode, the colors looked suprisingly good. Some of the other sets in the room, by contrast, did look like neon signs in their showroom settings. Once again, I think the Samsung 81 series beat the other TVs in the room in terms of natural colors, at least for out-of-box settings.

And then, the picture faded to black. Man, was that an amazing experience! The 81 series was completely black, with the 1150 beside it pulling a close second and everything else in the room looking absolutely horrible by comparison.

I did notice some floating blacks in the bars above and below at widescreen commercial. It was only noticeable in the black bars, however; I did not notice the problem during any other scene. The floating blacks in the bars were not too pronounced, and I doubt anyone would notice them when watching a movie.

After watching the TV for a few minutes, I decided to try to make it look better. I changed it to the following settings:

Movie Mode
Contrast: 100
Dynamic contrast: Low
LED MotionPlus: On
Wide Color: On
Edge Enhancement: On (this one is more of a personal preference, but I think it makes details look much sharper)
And, presuming LED SmartLighting is on, everything else at movie mode default.

Those settings made the picture look phenomenal! I cannot compare them to the other TVs in the room at that point since the others were not tweaked, but I can't imagine a picture looking much better than the 81 series after I tweaked it. What little black crush I saw was eliminated, and shadow details were pulled out into full prominence without destroying the deep black level of the 81 in dynamic mode. When the picture once again faded to black, it was still pure black.

As for the glossy screen: In the dimly-lit Magnolia room, I completely forgot the 81 series was glossy (honestly). Because of this, I didn't intentionally look for reflections, but if there had been any, I probably would have remembered that it was glossy. I'm sure reflections would be worse in a room with more ambient light, but the Magnolia room was far from pitch black. Dim, not dark, is probably the proper term.

So, in the end, my five minutes with the 81 series was an excellent experience. If I bought the set and took it home, I may find more flaws with it, but from what I saw at Magnolia, it is an excellent display.

I know this is now an owners thread, and I am not technically an owner, but I still posted my impressions as it may help future owners find good settings or potential owners make an educated decision. Unfortunately, I am not in a financial position to purchase a new TV right now, so I'll probably be waiting for the 2008 models.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page