Official Samsung 81 Series LNT-xx81f Owner's Thread Part II - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-18-2007, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ml194152 View Post

Yes sir, thats right, its a *57*81. I just got an email from Crutchfield saying that my order has shipped and they even gave a bill number for the carrier that is delivering the set (Eagle USA).

I just checked my email and have not recieved that ship notice yet
I ordered the 5781f from Crutchfield too..
Have you seen their price increase for it now, which I imagine like me, you bought yours for $1000 less too..

Hopefully mine will ship soon too.. it must be first come first serve, and you ordered yours before I did?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky View Post

Actually...I have kept my TV's HDMI setting at "Low" and changed all of my HDMI sources that are outputting RGB to "Normal/Limited/Standard".

For example, the PS3 has a setting for RGB level to go either "full " or "limited" If you go full and then have the TV set to low it is too dark. But if you choose limited and keep the TV set to low it is perfect. Same with the X-Box 360 (there you have to choose "standard instead of "expanded"").

I have done both options of setting the TV to normal and then my sources to their 'dark' setting and now setting the TV to low and changing my sources to their 'lighter' settings ("limited/standard" - which are their defaults) and they yeild the exact same results as far as I can tell. So I decided to let the TV do the HDMI change the same for all soruces and leave the soruces at their default settings.

My experiences still seem to lead me to believe that the HDMI setting is grayed out only when it is receiving a YCbCr signal. Also, when the setting is grayed out it does not seem to matter what setting it is grayed out at (either normal or low) because it is not active.

Does that make sense?

That does make sense. I have not had much experience with HDMI until I got this set along with a blue ray player so... but that sounds like it makes perfect sense. In my configuration, setting the the HDMI to normal solved some problems for me. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-18-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idjiit View Post

Guys, in case you didn't realize there's a Samsung 81 Series Settings Thread.

I didn't know that. Thank you!
Old 09-18-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohns1997SS View Post

I am going to try these when i get home, everytime i try and set hdmi to normal i loose all of my blacks until i turn the brightness down to 35. Becuase the settings used on low echo almost exactly what the settings for component do.

EDIT : nevermind i see you are using dnie which is probably why you are getting black with hdmi at normal and birghtness at 45.

Have you tried my settings above? I think you will notice a little more natural picutre with more shadow detail and less flare on the whites.

Bigjohn,

I actually did try your settings (it is where I got the contrast of 90 by the way) and I did like how the image looked. I did think it looked a bit more natural, but I felt that on dark material I was really losing some shadow information. On brighter material I think your setting looks better. I felt by lowering my contrast to 75 and using dnie I was able to split the difference. I will try playing with your settings some more when I get the chance. I was thinking of trying your setting and not using the dynamic contrast, but maybe keeping the gamma to +1 or +2 to help with the darker scenes. I appreciate the help!!! Let's compare notes soon.

Thanks,
drew
Old 09-18-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjgkelly View Post

You need to set the HDMI output on your setop box to RGB (see page 31 of the manual).

I have a direct TV HD-DVR and there is nothing on there that makes me change what it is actually outputing other than the Resolution eg 760, 1080,etc...nothing about the RGB or Yccbr crap...

I do have that on my receiver...but I have toggled it back and forth and it has not made a difference..
Old 09-18-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endeavor View Post

I just checked my email and have not recieved that ship notice yet
I ordered the 5781f from Crutchfield too..
Have you seen their price increase for it now, which I imagine like me, you bought yours for $1000 less too..

Hopefully mine will ship soon too.. it must be first come first serve, and you ordered yours before I did?

Hello endeavor

I thought I would chime in to say I too ordered a 5781 from crutchfield on 8/20 and (at the time) I was told I was second in-line for this model. So today I received confirmation that it was shipped today. So hopefully this information should help give you some idea when to expect yours.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I had one of the first orders at Crutchfield, but I cancelled to move my order to ABT as they got them in stock first. My 5781 from ABT is in transit and will be delivered to the house Friday afternoon. Just enough time to get it all set up for Halo 3 next week!
Old 09-19-2007, 11:09 AM

What is the biggest size that the 81's come in? I haven't seen anybody discuss anything bigger than a 57", but I heard rumors that a 70" was in the works...

\¯\/¯/ |¯|)¯) /¯/\¯\ \¯\/¯/
GAMERTAG = Coitus Maximus
/_/\_\ |_|)_) \_\/_/ /_/\_\
Old 09-19-2007, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaslum View Post

What is the biggest size that the 81's come in? I haven't seen anybody discuss anything bigger than a 57", but I heard rumors that a 70" was in the works...

Yeah there is a 70" for 33k, which is why nobody ever mentions it. Also i haven't seen it on sale anywhere, but I am not looking either.

Samsung D7000 65"
Onkyo 905
BIH F12
6x Energy RC-10
WMC ceton4 DVR/Media PC
Old 09-19-2007, 12:20 PM

A few days ago I had a chance to inspect 4681 (and 4671) unit and now I can answer my old question about what kind of panel/glass these units have. 4681 has the same glass as xx65/61 (and my W3000) but with LED BL.

OTOH xx71 has new glass the same as XBR4. This makes me feel that previous version of glasses (aka asymmetric zigzag) could not be overclocked to 120Hz and new symmetric rectangular pixel structure has been created to address this challenge.

Please note that both glasses belong to 7 generation.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex the Great View Post

A few days ago I had a chance to inspect 4681 (and 4671) unit and now I can answer my old question about what kind of panel/glass these units have. 4681 has the same glass as xx65/61 (and my W3000) but with LED BL.

OTOH xx71 has new glass the same as XBR4. This makes me feel that previous version of glasses (aka asymmetric zigzag) could not be overclocked to 120Hz and new symmetric rectangular pixel structure has been created to address this challenge.

Please note that both glasses belong to 7 generation.

Interesting. I noticed when I had a LNT4661 it had chevron '<' shaped pixels. I can see here at work that the LNS4095 has rectangular pixels. So does the 4071 use the same panel as the 4095?
Old 09-19-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Clean View Post

Hello endeavor

I thought I would chime in to say I too ordered a 5781 from crutchfield on 8/20 and (at the time) I was told I was second in-line for this model. So today I received confirmation that it was shipped today. So hopefully this information should help give you some idea when to expect yours.

That's good to know. I ordered mine from Cruthchfield on 9/14 though...
I'm currently using last years model 46'' which is the LNS4692 so at least I have a fine setup in the meantime.
I suspect my order will be shipped in.. ..well I don't really know really. You know that's a lot of money to spend, and as each day goes by.. part of me want's to cancel the too expensive 57" and wait a year for it to drop to $4900 range before I actually get it, but then my desire takes over the other way again... and back and forth and so on... and then I think if I waited a year to get it - then the next generation of this 81f series will be out and I'd want that... and so on and so on.. you know how it is.
Well, if they ship it before I make any moves first the decision will be made for me...

My pet pieve is that I want to have exceptional shadow detail though! ..without sacrificing anything else, and sometimes I wonder if I should of got the 52" 71 series instead of an 81 series. I just don't want the fancy LED dark areas to lose any Valid shadow detail ! iow, I want to be able to see a black suit coat which has some lighter black stripes within it, I want the lighter black stripes to clearly show too, without sacrificing on any other fronts.

I've got the settings in this thread and in the setting thread noted to try them.

I noticed drewde changed from the suggested dnie setting of off, etc, for better shadow detail. I'll have to waith though for mine to arrive to play
Old 09-19-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phigment View Post

Interesting. I noticed when I had a LNT4661 it had chevron '<' shaped pixels. I can see here at work that the LNS4095 has rectangular pixels. So does the 4071 use the same panel as the 4095?

This is not exactly chevron shape pixels (BTW S-IPS has distinguishable chevron type sub pixels).
I've already posted some picture for my previous 40W3000 (this is what I called asymmetric zigzag)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...1&postcount=85
My new 46W3000 has the same pixels pattern. The same asymmetric zigzag has 40 and 46 xx81. Can not speak for 52 and 57 units - did not see them.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endeavor View Post

That's good to know. I ordered mine from Cruthchfield on 9/14 though...
I'm currently using last years model 46'' which is the LNS4692 so at least I have a fine setup in the meantime.
I suspect my order will be shipped in.. ..well I don't really know really. You know that's a lot of money to spend, and as each day goes by.. part of me want's to cancel the too expensive 57" and wait a year for it to drop to $4900 range before I actually get it, but then my desire takes over the other way again... and back and forth and so on... and then I think if I waited a year to get it - then the next generation of this 81f series will be out and I'd want that... and so on and so on.. you know how it is.
Well, if they ship it before I make any moves first the decision will be made for me...

My pet pieve is that I want to have exceptional shadow detail though! ..without sacrificing anything else, and sometimes I wonder if I should of got the 52" 71 series instead of an 81 series. I just don't want the fancy LED dark areas to lose any Valid shadow detail ! iow, I want to be able to see a black suit coat which has some lighter black stripes within it, I want the lighter black stripes to clearly show too, without sacrificing on any other fronts.

I've got the settings in this thread and in the setting thread noted to try them.

I noticed drewde changed from the suggested dnie setting of off, etc, for better shadow detail. I'll have to waith though for mine to arrive to play

I am getting great shadow detail on my set (at least I think I am). I have a couple sences in DVD's that I test this with and everything shows up quite nicely with LED on, Dynamic Contrast to Low, Brightness below 50%, etc...

Thanks,

Spooky
Old 09-19-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky View Post

I am getting great shadow detail on my set (at least I think I am). I have a couple sences in DVD's that I test this with and everything shows up quite nicely with LED on, Dynamic Contrast to Low, Brightness below 50%, etc...

I've seen your posts here and there on this thread and the settings thread, and will try all the suggestions.

One question I have is that I'm using DirectTV's HDDVR HR20 model, and when my 5781 comes in I want to set it side by side with my current 4692 sammy to compare them live side by side with the same source, how do I connect two of these sammy's to one HR20? There's one HDMI connection from the HR20 to the Sammy.. ..can anything be done here?
Old 09-19-2007, 03:09 PM

I'm probably just going to get one of these sets from Amazon, but what's the best thing to do when trying to get Best Buy to match the price of an authorized online retailer?
Old 09-19-2007, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavR1ck View Post

I'm starting to the like the 81 better now too after tweaking. I just wish it was awesome out of the box. I'm looking to purchase an HD-DVD player for XBOX 360 and the HD-DVD version of Digital Video Essentials to calibrate it..

I am not certain from the phrasing you used, but would you confirm that the set on the bottom in all of your pictures is the 71? That set is clearly the winner to my eyes. It doesn't even seem to be a close call. That is how I would like an HD picture to look.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by moester76 View Post

I have a direct TV HD-DVR and there is nothing on there that makes me change what it is actually outputing other than the Resolution eg 760, 1080,etc...nothing about the RGB or Yccbr crap...

I do have that on my receiver...but I have toggled it back and forth and it has not made a difference..

Oh, sorry, I have FIOS with a Motorola set top box and when you connect to its HDMI output connection it recognizes it and gives you an "Additional HDMI Setting" menu that allows you to change output from YCCBR to RGB.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acramos1 View Post

I'm probably just going to get one of these sets from Amazon, but what's the best thing to do when trying to get Best Buy to match the price of an authorized online retailer?

Amazon doesn't carry Samsung 81 series. If you see it on amazon, it means that you actually purchase it from one of the 3rd party vendors. I know Vanns (and perhaps Crutchfield) carries the 81 series.

Go 24
Old 09-19-2007, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acramos1 View Post

order the set at bb for delivery. Show up about 2 days before delivery date, walk into the magnolia section close to closing time on a weekday. Tell them you want to cancel your order and that you are going to order from amazon due to the super cheaper price. Manager will either say ok or in my case he matched to price for me out the door to what amazons said plus 100 for tax. I then went into cc where I orignally bought the 71 and was returning it. Their manager asked me why cause he thought it was the best panel he carried. I showed him the bb receipt and he said he would match it plus take 50 more off. Well I wasn't about to take this one back home and take the bb one off the wall and return it to bb. So they will do it you just have to make them desperate. Don't know about the 81, that's a hard one to make them budge on for some reason.

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
Old 09-19-2007, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpjunkie View Post

order the set at bb for delivery. Show up about 2 days before delivery date, walk into the magnolia section close to closing time on a weekday. Tell them you want to cancel your order and that you are going to order from amazon due to the super cheaper price. Manager will either say ok or in my case he matched to price for me out the door to what amazons said plus 100 for tax. I then went into cc where I orignally bought the 71 and was returning it. Their manager asked me why cause he thought it was the best panel he carried. I showed him the bb receipt and he said he would match it plus take 50 more off. Well I wasn't about to take this one back home and take the bb one off the wall and return it to bb. So they will do it you just have to make them desperate. Don't know about the 81, that's a hard one to make them budge on for some reason.

But amazon doesn't carry 81 series (only through 3rd party vendor, Vanns) and don't even look for it in Circuit City because you aren't going to find it there.

Go 24
Old 09-19-2007, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I tried to get CC to match Amazon or I'd return the 4671, and was told they wouldn't go down $5 for an online retailer. They told me to just return it.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:36 PM

My local BB gave me a big discount on the 81 without price matching.

Thanks,

Spooky
Old 09-19-2007, 10:47 PM

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the 52" 81. With LED backlighting being a new technology and reading here about someone having one of their LED blocks not working properly (flickering I think), should I buy the extended warranty? Second question, the difference between 71 and 81 is only $400 in my case. I think getting the 81 is a no brainer. Am I right? I would like any owners feeback please.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:17 AM

71 Series is on the Bestbuy Canada website. It says in stock in Waterloo Ontario.

C'mon BestBuy/FutureShop... where are the 81s?
Old 09-20-2007, 06:54 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by phigment View Post

71 Series is on the Bestbuy Canada website. It says in stock in Waterloo Ontario.

C'mon BestBuy/FutureShop... where are the 81s?

Have you heard anything else about when FS will get the 81s in the warehouse.

Current Equipment:
Panasonic TC-P42G25
Logitech Z680 5.1
Xbox 360
PS3
Gaming PC (Core i7 2600, GeForce 670, 16 GB RAM)

Old 09-20-2007, 06:56 AM

Just called yesterday and they have no word on when to expect them. I called about 5 in the Waterloo/GTA area and they all said the warehouse has 10 on order. It seems like they all share the same warehouse and these will be in short supply when they do get them in.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDukDong View Post

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the 52" 81. With LED backlighting being a new technology and reading here about someone having one of their LED blocks not working properly (flickering I think), should I buy the extended warranty?

I've only seen one report of a bad LED BLU here. But for what it's worth, I did get the extended warranty from BB knowing that it's a new tech and that the chances of it having problems is likely better than with a more time-tested design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDukDong View Post

Second question, the difference between 71 and 81 is only $400 in my case. I think getting the 81 is a no brainer. Am I right? I would like any owners feeback please.

There are guys who bought both and kept the 71, so no it's not so cut and dry. Some appear to prefer the image on the 71, despite the differences in black levels. The 71 is a better LCD panel, apparently. The 71 also a 120hz panel so it can display a "native" 24fps signal, whereas the 81 cannot.

For me, black levels are very important and since I use my TV with an Apple TV most of the time (which has large areas of black), the difference is very noticeable.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbbb View Post

I'm selling my Samsung 52" LNT5281F tonight and thinking about buying the Sony 52"XBR4.Have any of you compared these tv's and if so which do you like more?
SONY's is not LED and has a Live Action feature..which is like the DRC they use to have on their tv features.

www.cnet.com

and look up their editor's top LCD tv reviews(they do hard core testing). according to them the samsung 65 series set beat out the sony XBR in image quality, color accuracy, and contrast. im curious as to why you are selling your set since the 81/71 are the updates to the 65 which destroyed the XBR.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:54 PM

My 5281 from BB has a retangle in the lower right corner about 4" high by 10" wide that flashes from full bright to full dim, blinking back and forth, while the rest of the screen stays normal. I called Samsung who called AmerTV tech under warranty. He came and said the panel has to be replaced, which costs more than a new tv, so I should call BB to have a new one brought in exchange. BB said they can not bring a new one unless I put another new one on my card and get it refunded later. I don't have the credit headroom for 2 of them, so they are only going to pick it up and after I am credited I have to re-order another one. I'm not happy about being without a tv for who knows how long when season premeres are coming up. So I might go with a different set that someone else has in stock. Though I was very happy with the picture, I found the audio quality to be lacking anyways. The hidden speakers sounded hidden, missing clarity. They sound like someone has their hands over the speakers. Messing with the equalizer made it either too shrill or too muddled, but never clear.