The sony bravia s3000 calibration, and user settings thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 239 Old 09-17-2008, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone notice stuttering when moving left to right through the menus on their set? It looks like the menus are moving at 10 frames per second.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 239 Old 09-18-2008, 08:25 AM

No.
post #213 of 239 Old 09-18-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merebito View Post

Maverick, did you get a chance to try the tivo settings? I'm really interested in your opinion.

I've been busy to respond but I found the time. I used your Tivo settings for a friends S3000. From the moment I input the settings I noticed a change and so did my friend. She keeps telling me how good her pictures look. Good job merebito.
post #214 of 239 Old 09-18-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy_Man_Dude View Post

I tried switching HDMI cables (though they are the same brand/model). I tried using the other HDMI input. I tried using component cables. I tried changing settings on the PS3. I even reset the TV to factory settings. I'm still getting the blurry scrolling text in Rock Band. I do notice the issue in other scenarios, but it is most noticeable in Rock Band where the text is barely readable in faster songs.

I'm not sure what to think at this point. I have an extended warranty, should I make a complaint? I'm not sure they would take me seriously since it works just fine in most scenarios. I don't think saying "well Maverick22587 doesn't have any problems on his set" will convince them.

I Think you should test your tv with another PS3 or connect the ps3 to another tv. If it is a bad tv set exchange it. Its a very good HDTV.
post #215 of 239 Old 09-19-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick22587 View Post

I've been busy to respond but I found the time. I used your Tivo settings for a friends S3000. From the moment I input the settings I noticed a change and so did my friend. She keeps telling me how good her pictures look. Good job merebito.

Right on
post #216 of 239 Old 10-15-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:

I think in theory it should work as well, just enable expanded black range on the 360's settings. Unfortunately I don't have a HDMI port on my 360

I've been fighting to find a really good calibration scheme for my 360, because even though it is very good, it still doesn't seem to match the PS3 via HDMI calibrations I set up as far as color \\ contrasts. I have been using VGA, and I think I am going to try switching back to Composite instead. There are more settings to calibrate when using composite than VGA.

You may want to give this a try, if my PS3 settings don't do it justice. I haven't tried them personally, but others seemed to like it. Adjust for your needs. Let me know what you end up with!

Xbox 360 via HDMI?

Power Save Mode: Off

Mode: Custom

Backlight: 3
Picture: 94
Brightness: 50
Color: 54
Hue: R2
Sharpness: 10
Color Temp: Warm 1
Noise Reduction: Off
Mpeg Noise Reduction: Off
Black Corrector: Off
ACE: Off
Gamma: Off
Clear White: Off
Color Space: Standard
Live Color: Off

I've used this settings for both HDMI and Component and works great. But for some reason (which I know holds true for most if not all HDTV LCDs), it still have [input] lag. Though it's not noticeable to casual gamers, but it is for a competitive gamer. Lag is most noticeable in Halo 3 and Rock Band 2.

The store that I helped out host gaming tournaments use KDL-32S3000. Before the calibration, the lag was terrible and I was even frustrated [as a competitive gamer]. After inputting these calibration, it helped but not much. I am not a" calibrator" or have knowledge of calibrating HDTVs as I used CRTs most of my lift -- but I think turning off most [if not all] Advanced Settings such as Black Corrector etc helped.

So is there anyway to reduce the lag [completely or close to it]? BTW I do not own this HDTV, therefore I gotta do this when I am at the store.

I could not find the Power Save Mode on the TV; is it on the X360?

Also the resolution was optimal [forgot what it was but it was 13xx by something], will that affect the outcome?

-CAR8624

PS: If possible PM me also; if not then I will check within this week. I got to help out host another tournament for them.
post #217 of 239 Old 10-23-2008, 04:56 PM

PS3 (Connected through HDMI):

Video Settings > BD/DVD Video Output Format: RGB
Display Settings > RGB Full Range (HDMI): Full
Display Settings > Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-white (HDMI): Off (This only works when BD/DVD output is set to Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr)

40s3000
Picture Mode: Cinema
Picture: 80
Brightness: 64
Color: 48
Color Temp: Neutral
Sharpness: 5
Noise Red: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off

Advanced Settings
Black Corrector: Low
Advanced C.E.: Off
Gama: Low
Color Space: Normal
Live Color: Off (greyed out)
post #218 of 239 Old 10-23-2008, 05:18 PM

Scientific Atlanta 4240HDC
General Settings > Set: Picture Format: Pass-Through

40s3000
Backlight: 6
Brightness: 54

Advanced Settings
Black Corrector: Medium
Advanced C.E.: Low
Gama: Off
Live Color: Off

Connected with Component cables
post #219 of 239 Old 11-13-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patpipp View Post

PS3 (Connected through HDMI):

Video Settings > BD/DVD Video Output Format: RGB
Display Settings > RGB Full Range (HDMI): Full
Display Settings > Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-white (HDMI): Off (This only works when BD/DVD output is set to Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr)

40s3000
Brightness: 64

Advanced Settings
Advanced C.E.: Off
Gama: Low
Live Color: Off (greyed out)

Your not suppose to use RGB Limited with connecting the PS3 with a HDTV. Me and Merbito have found out that RGB Full is for computer monitors while limited is for TVs.
post #220 of 239 Old 11-23-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:

Your not suppose to use RGB Limited with connecting the PS3 with a HDTV. Me and Merbito have found out that RGB Full is for computer monitors while limited is for TVs.

That is true but I went this route because the TV's contrast ratio isn't the best. By doing RGB Full with careful brightness and post processing adjustments, it gives it the look of a more expensive model.
post #221 of 239 Old 12-16-2008, 01:49 AM

Hi

I have found what I believe to be the best settings for my Sony Bravia which I have connected to IPTV BT Vision via 1080i HDMI .
As another bonus I have thrown in my other settings as well.
I hope they help some of you who may have something similar, such as tivo hd.

ps3*or upscaled dvd inbuilt.freeview & IPTV (HDMI UPSCALED) BLU RAY/downloaded hi def iptv movies.

picture mode........cinema...........................cinema......... .................cinema
backlight........3......................................3... .....................................3
contrast.........88....................................85... ...................................88
brightness.......49...................................37.... ...................................49
colour.............62 ............................ 52.......................................62
colour temp..... warm 2 .....................warm 2**..............................warm 2
sharpness.................15........................15...... ................................15
noise red......... ........off.......................low**optional............. ..........off
mpeg noise...........off.......................off............... .......................off
black corrector........off............................off......... ......................off
advance contrast....off.............................off............. ..................off
gamma..................off.............................off.. ....................................off
clear white.............off.............................off....... ........................off
live colour..............off..............................off.... ...........................off
colour space..........standard.......................standard,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,standard

* Some of these advanced settings may not be present on your Bravia but sapplying the settings that are present on your model will make a significant difference to your picture

Whilst everyones viewing conditions are different-lighting etc. I think these are great and they are an adapted result from a professional calibration from another forum and thanks to cia2agm for sharing them.

I hope this helps!

Chris

Edited by: christopher balmer on Dec 16, 2008 9:33 AM
post #222 of 239 Old 01-10-2009, 03:48 PM

Can someone help me with why you wouldn't automatically want to have the "Black Corrector" on high? Why wouldn't you also want to max out Sharpness?

Also, can someone explain Contrast?

Thanks!
post #223 of 239 Old 01-13-2009, 11:14 AM

When I would quit a game or movie via my PS3. I would hear a popping nosie in my speakers and on the bottom right corner of the TV a error message would appear and disappear saying "Unsupported video resolution"

This doesn't happen all the time. It happens rarely. This is fixed by turning off the TV via remote control and turning it back on. This has never happened before and I have owned the TV for almost a year.

My PS3 is connected via HDMI and I have gotten my HDMI cables from Sony. Any one have a clue on what might be going on here?
post #224 of 239 Old 01-20-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:

When I would quit a game or movie via my PS3. I would hear a popping nosie in my speakers and on the bottom right corner of the TV a error message would appear and disappear saying "Unsupported video resolution"

This doesn't happen all the time. It happens rarely. This is fixed by turning off the TV via remote control and turning it back on. This has never happened before and I have owned the TV for almost a year.

My PS3 is connected via HDMI and I have gotten my HDMI cables from Sony. Any one have a clue on what might be going on here?

Not sure... try setting your PS3's video output to default 720p, this way it doesn't broadcast @ 1080p & then the TV has to down convert..
post #225 of 239 Old 01-20-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iodeac View Post

Can someone help me with why you wouldn't automatically want to have the "Black Corrector" on high? Why wouldn't you also want to max out Sharpness?

Also, can someone explain Contrast?

Thanks!

Off the top of my head, Black Corrector can crush your blacks (removes defining shadows within darkness), you don't turn up sharpness too high because it will add grain to the images.

Contrast roughly speaking is the difference between opposing colors or values.... the higher the contrast the more opposite the colors will be.... Just raise your contrast way up high and then down low on the tv to see what it does.
post #226 of 239 Old 02-17-2009, 09:40 PM

I just got the sony bravia kdl-40s3000 with a ps3 as a late Xmas gift. I am using a hdmi cable. I just have one stupid question. Is this freaking tv 1080p or only 720p. The stuff i googled shows 720p but my manual shows 1080p for the HDMI ports. Also I did all of the auto configs when i set up the ps3 and it says its running 1080p/24hz's. So i contact sony live chat. They tell me yes its 1080p. But then when i tell them some of my blu rays seem a little grainy they tell me they made a mistake its only a 720p. I have found retail and review info saying its a 720p but i have also found review specs sites show it in 1080p. SO WHAT THE HECK IS IT hehe thanks???
post #227 of 239 Old 02-17-2009, 10:05 PM

Liked: 11
It is 720p, the confusion you're getting is the fact that it supports 1080p inputs. But the TV's native resolution is 720p (actually 768p).

Larry
post #228 of 239 Old 02-17-2009, 11:11 PM

so why does the ps3 say its 1080p should i just set the ps3 to 720p? will having it on 1080p mess up the picture quality on the tv? this sucks i thought it was pretty grainy for a 1080p display. I HAVE BEEN fooled. damnit i want a 1080p now i know why i wasnt pleased with the picture of my blurays.
post #229 of 239 Old 02-18-2009, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
You can adjust the picture settings to reduce the grain (default/factory settings are horrible and will greatly exaggerate it). But remember that film has grain, and you will see it on certain movies more than others (and sometimes it's added intentionally). Having 1080p shouldn't really make that much of a difference. Fixing your picture settings - changing to Cinema/Movie mode, reducing sharpness, etc. per recommendations on this thread - should help.
post #230 of 239 Old 03-30-2009, 02:40 PM

The TV accepts 1080p signal but it downgrades it to 720p..

you can set your PS3 to output @ 720p which is what I have done, but I don't know if it affects the performance.
post #231 of 239 Old 05-28-2009, 10:22 AM

Hey All,

Two things...

Number one, I've got a set of configs that I've been happily using for my HDMI Tivo \\ PS3 movies & games (all on the same setting).

Number two, for some reason my tv turns itself on intermittently.. The problem is I don't know if it is related to my Tivo remote, or possibly my Sony home theater system which uses HDMI controls... Thought maybe someone might have experienced this, although I get the feeling I'm probably alone in this one
post #232 of 239 Old 05-28-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Hey All,

Two things...

Number one, I've got a set of configs that I've been happily using for my HDMI Tivo \\ PS3 movies & games (all on the same setting).

Number two, for some reason my tv turns itself on intermittently.. The problem is I don't know if it is related to my Tivo remote, or possibly my Sony home theater system which uses HDMI controls... Thought maybe someone might have experienced this, although I get the feeling I'm probably alone in this one

If you have a Sony home theater system, you can control the TV and the theater system at once. Its called "Bravia Sync". I do know that you can program your Tivo remote to control the TV too. Do you have Bravia sync configured?

By the way Merebito, are you getting a new TV, for sure its going to be one of the new XBRs. If you get a new Sony TV could you post your settings lol.
post #233 of 239 Old 09-13-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:

If you have a Sony home theater system, you can control the TV and the theater system at once. Its called "Bravia Sync". I do know that you can program your Tivo remote to control the TV too. Do you have Bravia sync configured?

By the way Merebito, are you getting a new TV, for sure its going to be one of the new XBRs. If you get a new Sony TV could you post your settings lol.

Hey, not sure what I did, but the intermittent power issue is gone. If I do get a new Sony I will post the specs.
post #234 of 239 Old 09-29-2009, 08:48 PM

These color settings are perfect for:

Tivo HD, XBox 360 via VGA, PS3 via HDMI, Blu-Ray, SD TV & HD Signal.

Picture Mode: Standard

Picture: 50
Brightness: 53
Color: 42
Hue: 0
Sharpness: Min
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Reduction: Off

Advanced CD: Off
Gamma: Off
Color Space: Wide
Live Color: Low
post #235 of 239 Old 03-08-2010, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi guys,

This is my first post so don't beat me up too much.

My current video setup is:

Set Top Box => component => AVR
AVR => hdmi => tv
dvd => component => avr

TV :Sony KDL-32S3000
Set Top Box: Scientific Atlanta, HD Cable
DVD: Samsung P-231 (don't laugh)

My question is, since I am only using one input to the tv, I would like to set up different settings for watching under the following settings: 1-day, 2-night with lights on, and 3-night with lights off.

Can I use the different modes to program the three different settings: 1/vivid, 2/standard, and 3/cinema.

Thanks,

Sony Bravia KDL32S3000 HDTV | Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K AVR | Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HDC HD Cable Box | Sony BDP-S390 BD | Harmony 700| Logitech Squeezbox Classic | Squeezebox Radio | Polk T15 (front - L/R) | Polk OWM 3 (rear) | DefTech ProCenter1000 (center) | Polk DSW Pro 400 Sub
post #236 of 239 Old 03-08-2010, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

How bright is the room during the day? I've found that my "calibrated" settings don't look bad during the day, because the most that is watched are children's shows, talk shows, whatever. The shows watched during the day look fine with my Cinema/calibration.

The colors will be okay with the lights on/off, it's just the brightness (black level) that might be a few clicks off for bright/dark room. It's not that big of a deal. If you do most of your main critical watching (movies, etc.) with the lights off, set the TV up with that environment, then just use those settings at all times. It won't look bad. It's not like you're editing film and need exact perfect settings.

If you happen to play video games, you might check the in-game brightness adjuster and slide the bar if you play at times with the lights on/off (sometimes my wife is using the computer, which is in the room with our TV, when I use the projector to play games. if I'm using the projector I'll check the brightness level because I may need to adjust the in-game brightness a notch or two to compensate for the extra light on the projector screen).
post #237 of 239 Old 03-09-2010, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

How bright is the room during the day? I've found that my "calibrated" settings don't look bad during the day, because the most that is watched are children's shows, talk shows, whatever. The shows watched during the day look fine with my Cinema/calibration.

The colors will be okay with the lights on/off, it's just the brightness (black level) that might be a few clicks off for bright/dark room. It's not that big of a deal. If you do most of your main critical watching (movies, etc.) with the lights off, set the TV up with that environment, then just use those settings at all times. It won't look bad. It's not like you're editing film and need exact perfect settings.

If you happen to play video games, you might check the in-game brightness adjuster and slide the bar if you play at times with the lights on/off (sometimes my wife is using the computer, which is in the room with our TV, when I use the projector to play games. if I'm using the projector I'll check the brightness level because I may need to adjust the in-game brightness a notch or two to compensate for the extra light on the projector screen).

Thanks Cyberbri,

I was afraid that this thread was too old and I would not get a response.

The TV room can bright during the day but not too bad. I guess it would make sense to just leave the one picture mode and make all my adjustments to that. I do all my gaming in the basement on my PC for now so that is not an issue.

Do you turn the light sensor off after making adjustments so as to keep you brightness and backlight levels the same? Although I have had the tv for a while I am just now getting around to making some adjustments.

Sony Bravia KDL32S3000 HDTV | Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K AVR | Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HDC HD Cable Box | Sony BDP-S390 BD | Harmony 700| Logitech Squeezbox Classic | Squeezebox Radio | Polk T15 (front - L/R) | Polk OWM 3 (rear) | DefTech ProCenter1000 (center) | Polk DSW Pro 400 Sub
post #238 of 239 Old 03-09-2010, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I actually don't use the room sensor.

I leave my settings the same, but during the day I sometimes close the curtains which are directly across from the TV that can make it hard to see.

I suppose you could set a Movie/Cinema that's properly calibrated to the best of your ability, and use Normal during the day if the room is bright.
post #239 of 239 Old 07-26-2012, 12:34 PM

I've enjoyed reading through this thread, here in 2012, having bought a well kept used 32S3000 a couple of years ago.. I must say though, with these eyes and this brain, here in the daytime messing with it, just watching HD through a HDMI-connected Time Warner DVR cable box, I strongly prefer the standard 'Standard' setting to the changes offered here, and I wonder why..

A couple of suggested tweaks I'm going to try out for a longer test, though, include turning off Noise Reduction and MPEG Reduction, and reducing the backlighting just a little bit.

I've been dealing with 'new TV lust', but it has no real basis - I really like this TV just fine, except for the sports motion blur, which may not be its fault if it's a compression issue up the line..
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page