Sharp Aquos D64U Calibrations and Settings - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 863 Old 09-20-2007, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
(Originally posted here)

I spent 2 hours the other night with Digital Video Essentials (Standard DVD) and here's what I've ended up with:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 863 Old 09-20-2007, 11:32 AM

Liked: 10
TigerDave,

What do you have your DNR set on: Off, Low or High?

Mike
post #33 of 863 Old 09-20-2007, 11:36 AM

Where is that? I don't see a DNR option.

I should also add that since my previous post above, I have enabled OPC (using ON: Display)and am experimenting with it since the TV is so bright at night in a dark room.

Current OPC Range:

Min: -4
Max: +16

post #34 of 863 Old 09-20-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdave View Post

Where is that? I don't see a DNR option.

Digital Noise Reduction, it's under the option tab on the meun.
post #35 of 863 Old 09-20-2007, 12:16 PM

The Digital Noise Reduction option is in the "options" tab. I believe that it the name of the next to last tab on the menu. Let me know what it is set at. I am guessing "Low".

Mike
post #36 of 863 Old 09-20-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPinBoynton View Post

The Digital Noise Reduction option is in the "options" tab. I believe that it the name of the next to last tab on the menu. Let me know what it is set at. I am guessing "Low".

Ah yes, there it is.

Yes, it is set to LOW.
post #37 of 863 Old 09-21-2007, 05:43 AM

Is anyone other than me having a picture that is not outstanding? The SD is much worse than my current LCD, which I can live with; but the HD just doesn't seem right. On the Discovery and National Geographic HD channels, The pictures have always been crystal clear; but with this Sharp, there seems to be a fine veil over parts of the picture at times. It also seems to have a flatter picture than I am used to. When watching Jay Leno, it looks like he has on caked makeup. Not that he doesn't, but it normally doesn't look that way. Other than the picture, I just love everything about the set. I am hoping that I just have a bad set, which is why I am trying to find out if anyone else is having PQ issues.

Mike
post #38 of 863 Old 09-21-2007, 06:18 AM

What size TV do you have and what connection are you using.
post #39 of 863 Old 09-21-2007, 07:50 AM

42" set connected by HDMI from a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD. This is the same connection that looked fine on a 42" Visio VU42L.

Mike
post #40 of 863 Old 09-22-2007, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
LC52D64U is my first HDTV...so I guess I'm behind on the basics
Got the delivery today and set it up...connected my regular Comcast Digital box to the TV with the co-axial cable and picture looks washed off...not to the expected level. Is the connection to blame ? I also have not got a HD Box yet...planning to get one from Comcast.
One other question, I hoped to capture a few OTA HD channel to check actual HD reproduction on my TV with the available digital tuner with the TV (till I get a HD Box and hook it up with HDMI) but searching for channels did not yield anything...Am I missing something ?
BTW, I followed both tigerdave and CNET's setting...tigerdave's one produced better result!
post #41 of 863 Old 09-22-2007, 02:34 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 38
You know, maybe the PQ on the Sharp just is not very good. Granted this is my 1st HDTV as well, but there has been multiple comments about this issue so perhaps it is not a matter of a defective set.
post #42 of 863 Old 09-22-2007, 03:36 AM

Ive owned four HDTVs and now I own a 4264U. The PQ on this set is great. But as with ANY display the source material is everything. Watching a diced up cable feed in HD or standard will just look so so. But, plug in a clean/strong signal and this thing soars. Nothing agaisnt those who are interested in other sets but lets keep this thread about optimizing the 64Us and not about how great other sets look at the store next to it.
post #43 of 863 Old 09-22-2007, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkStallion View Post

LC52D64U is my first HDTV...so I guess I'm behind on the basics
Got the delivery today and set it up...connected my regular Comcast Digital box to the TV with the co-axial cable and picture looks washed off...not to the expected level. Is the connection to blame ? I also have not got a HD Box yet...planning to get one from Comcast.
One other question, I hoped to capture a few OTA HD channel to check actual HD reproduction on my TV with the available digital tuner with the TV (till I get a HD Box and hook it up with HDMI) but searching for channels did not yield anything...Am I missing something ?
BTW, I followed both tigerdave and CNET's setting...tigerdave's one produced better result!

Be sure to choose the "standard" or "user defined" picture settings because the backlight and brightness settings that accompany most of the out of the box pre-sets are very high. That usually results in a washed out image. I would set these to zero and go from there. As far as your cable box question goes, definatly upgrade to the HD box. It is my expierence that while SD looks just decent it takes HD to make these sets shine. Im not sure about OTA HD...never tried that.
post #44 of 863 Old 09-22-2007, 04:00 AM

Now I have a question and its actually one I've had everytime I calibrate an LCD. With the AVIA disc it's instructions seemed aimed at CRTs and projectors, and while that doesnt matter when setting brightness, color, tint, and sharpness it does seem to be slightly different with contrast. In the white and black pluge pattern the white box never blooms regardless of how high you turn up the contrast with an LCD. So how do you set contrast on your LCD?

Also with the sharpness setting I can not see a difference between zero and -10....should I just drop it to negative ten as it does not seem to signicantly soften the image. The AVIA disc reccommends shutting off any sharpening...so my question is, is zero "off" or is -10 "off"?
post #45 of 863 Old 09-22-2007, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkStallion View Post

We have Comcast and if we plug the coax directly in to the set, it does find the HD channels. But just the locals, not the premium ones. At least it did for a different HD set. We haven't needed it on this set since we have the HD box. You need to make sure that before you do your search, you select digital and analog channels. The SD on this set really does suck. I am still hoping to find settings that will help with it.

Mike
post #46 of 863 Old 09-25-2007, 12:27 PM

I ordered the LC-52D64U with the F&F deal and am waiting for it to come in. I currently own a Sony KDL- 40xbr2 LCD and hte picture is unreal. I just hope that the Sharp TV is 75% of my sony and i will be happy.
post #47 of 863 Old 09-26-2007, 04:42 AM

I noticed that on the main D64U main thread people were customizing the "Dynamic" setting (this is the tv's default) but it is recommended to change the mode to "User" and customize those settings.

It's true, "Movie" mode is the most accurate to the 65 Kelvin so some people on the D62U thread customize this mode instead.
post #48 of 863 Old 09-26-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrx View Post

I noticed that on the main D64U main thread people were customizing the "Dynamic" setting (this is the tv's default) but it is recommended to change the mode to "User" and customize those settings.

It's true, "Movie" mode is the most accurate to the 65 Kelvin so some people on the D62U thread customize this mode instead.

It's my impression that the different "modes" are just labels. That is, each different mode (DYNAMIC, USER, MOVIE, etc) is just a name tag for the settings you apply to it. So if you were to set all modes to the same settings, the picture would be unchanged between them. Maybe this is just my imagination and my eyes are missing something.

Don't get me wrong, I realize that out of the box they have settings that differ from one another.
post #49 of 863 Old 09-26-2007, 10:08 AM

I was about to say the same thing...

If all the settings for each "mode" were the same, wouldn't the picture be the same?
post #50 of 863 Old 09-26-2007, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdave View Post

I was about to say the same thing...

If all the settings for each "mode" were the same, wouldn't the picture be the same?

That's the way I see it also. If you were to copy the "Movie" mode settings to the "User Defined" mode settings the two pictures should have identical results. The names are just given to a pre-defined set of settings to make it a little easier for someone who isn't comfortable adjusting their TV.
post #51 of 863 Old 09-27-2007, 05:03 AM

That is not correct. These settings aren't just "labels."
If you were to copy settings from one mode to another, the picture will NOT be the same.

There is more to it, go read through the D62U Settings & Tweaks thread to get a better understanding.

Here is a post which highlights the different Gamma values each settings have, making these modes more than just labels:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post10575376
post #52 of 863 Old 09-27-2007, 10:34 AM

OK just got my 46" in last night -- hooked up Comcast coax straight in for now (I don't have a box)

Got the unencrypted HD signals just fine (NBC, CBS, ABC PBS, CW) - picture looks GREAT when they actually broadcast in HD

I am getting good results on many analog stations too - I went and bought a Motorola cable signal booster last week and hooked into the main cable split (after 2-way one to modem, the other to tv) - A world of difference in my signal quality(even before on my old 32" CRT)

OK finally my question: so you can't save setup/prefs on individual stations (or even analog versus digital) - ??
post #53 of 863 Old 10-01-2007, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I wish you could save settings for each channel, because on my set every channel needs a different adjustment.
post #54 of 863 Old 10-01-2007, 01:14 PM

Unfortunately, we could use a different setting on different shows on the same channel. There is very little consistency in broadcasting. I will say that since I changed my settings to those recommended by Baloo75 on the other Sharp Aquos 64 thread, the channels not only look a lot better, they don't seem to be as dramatically different when I change between them.

Mike
post #55 of 863 Old 10-01-2007, 05:58 PM

Here are the settings I posted over in the thread:

Thought I would throw out my settings for my 46" D64U. I have noticed that many of you that have been posting screenshots have very red fleshtones. I spent about 60 minutes with Avia and have what I believe to be pretty good color. Interested to hear if anyone tries these settings if they think so also. I don't have anyway to measure the neutral axis so anyone that has a device to do this pleast post your settings.

AV-Mode = USER
Color Temp = middle
BackLight = +9
Contrast = +36 (I like a bright picture)
Brightness = -12
Color = -1
Tint = +11
Sharpness = 0

CMS Hue:
R = +5
Y = -5
G = -1
C = 0
B = 0
M = -10

CMS Saturation:
R = +6
Y = 0
G = +15
C = 0
B = +3
M = +15

Note, you will probably want to play with the brightness and contrast to suit your taste. If you want to faithfully reproduce to the NTSC standard the above Color, Tint and CMS settings are pretty close (though not perfect).

Thanks for the PM Mike, forgot this thread even existed.
post #56 of 863 Old 10-01-2007, 06:20 PM

Thanks for posting on this thread baloo75. Since this thread primarily focuses on settings and there are a lot less posts, more people will be able to take advantage of your great settings. I am not sure what some of your advanced settings are, but the ones I have been using with your settings are:

DNR Low

OPC: Off

Advanced Menu
Color Temp: Middle
Active Contrast Black: Off
Fine Motion Advanced: Off
I/P Setting: Fast
Film mode: Off
Monochrome: Off
Range of OPC: Off

Mike
post #57 of 863 Old 10-01-2007, 06:48 PM

Currently I have the following:

Active Contrast: Off
Fine Motion: On
I/P Setting: Slow
Film Mode: Off
OPC: Off
DNR: low
post #58 of 863 Old 10-02-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo75 View Post

Here are the settings I posted over in the thread:

Brightness = -12

Note, you will probably want to play with the brightness and contrast to suit your taste.

I had to adjust my brightness back to "0" last night. The "-12" is just far too dark and I have Fine Motion OFF which when ON (like you use) makes the picture even darker.

A good example is X-Men 3 at 50:45 into the movie. It's a shot of Professor Xavier's wheelchair sitting in a lowly-lit room. I was watching/testing last night in a room lit by two lamps on each side of me and each with 100-watt bulbs. At "0" brightness I could make out all the details. At "-12" it was far too dark.

I wonder if the sets vary from unit to unit in the manufacturing process so that "-12" on one looks different than "-12" on another. Furthermore, we really aren't comparing apples to apples because I have a 52" screen and yours is 46". I believe smaller screens have better brightness or contrast.
post #59 of 863 Old 10-02-2007, 10:35 AM

Mine is a 42" and -12 is too dark in most situations.

Mike
post #60 of 863 Old 10-02-2007, 10:37 AM

Tiger: so you use the same setting as the other guy exempt for the black levels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc42d64u 42 Inch Lcd Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page