post #631 of 863 Old 01-17-2009, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
And here are my calibrated settings for "Standard" mode using DVE:

Backlight: - 3
Contrast: +36
Brightness: + 1 (anything lower crushed the blacks)
Tint: + 2
Sharpness: + 2

HUE:

R: + 5
Y: + 9
G: + 2
C: - 4
B: + 0
M: - 6

SAT:

R: + 0
Y: + 1
G: - 3
C: -17
B: + 0
M: + 3

I think this looks better than "Movie" mode calibrated settings.

Wow there are so many options... and although the calibrated settings in the above post for "User" mode matched the RGB gels 100% to my eyes, I don't like the results very much. I think I'll set that one back to baloo75's suggested settings but with brightness at +1 so I don't crush the blacks.

Well folks thats it for my suggestions. Hope I've helped some of you enjoy your tv more!

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 863 Old 01-17-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI4Logan View Post

How much for the software and tools???

$16 on amazon for DVE (blu-ray) edition.

http://www.amazon.ca/Digital-Video-E...2251292&sr=8-1

Jay
post #633 of 863 Old 01-17-2009, 09:06 PM

Thanks, Jay. What color temperature setting were you using?
post #634 of 863 Old 01-18-2009, 09:07 AM

So I am back from my day (thats right 12 hours with this thing **it was an entire system actually so not all of that time was on the TV) and I have to say...
This is the worst looking TV from the Factory I have ever seen!!! Now I am not saying that it's a bad TV, just when you get that thing setup with factory settings everyone looks BRIGHT orange and red, flesh tones are so unnatural it hurt!!! I felt really bad for the people that bought it cause they thought they got hosed.

On to my calibrations.
So first things first, The setup (or the important stuff actually) is the LN52D64U, a Samsung BD-1500, Connected HDMI directly between the two, an Eye One LT meter and AVCHD BluRay using basic patterns and the Color HCFR 100% color windows patterns.

So I went through the Basic patterns (setting brightness, contrast, and sharpness) and the patterns didn't look all that correct, but I did the best I could with them. Then went through adjusting the color values in the CMS.
My results on HCFR were really close and should be turning out good. So I put in a test piece and wow that orange and red and even yellow patches in the skin tone were horrible. And I couldn't figure out why. I got really worried after this, thought maybe it would be something in grey scale (service menu settings) that would be able to fix this. Also was also worried cause I spent a lot of my time trying to help these people out and things just weren't improving. so I took a break and started programming remotes.

And I stumbled upon it "AV MODE" the most important button on this remote, AND I cant believe they didn't build it into the menu so you could change the modes (it could possibly be there but I never saw it). Not to mention that menu really really should have a way to adjust values without having the whole screen covered in menu while trying to get a reading.

Anyway, If you are not using AV Mode: Movie, then don't even bother calibrating, no matter what you do it will not look natural!

So I went through the entire process again, and get this! The Brightness and contrast patterns looked proper, before I was seeing an outline of the "Grey bars" now I was seeing the entire bar of grey and it looked correct. Then I followed through with sharpness and the CMS. Here are my results.

(Note that any Input in AV Mode: Movie will have the same settings, and I was fine with the results on all other sources)

AV Mode: Movie
OPC: Off
Backlight: -3
Contrast: +32
Brightness: +1
Color: 0
Tint: 0
Sharpness: +1
CMS Hue:
R: +13
Y: -2
G: -23
C: +30
B: +12
M: -11
CMS Saturation:
R: -16
Y: 0
G: -5
C: -30
B: 0
M: +1
Color Temp: Low
Active Contrast: Off
MonoChrome: Off

Color HCFR REC 709 using Eye One.
Note the colors are not dead on each point but very very close in my readings (the best that the CMS would allow me, green just wouldn't budge). The results were very good when checking test pieces.

***And like all calibrators say, this may not look good on your setup, might throw things way off, unless someone comes over with a meter and checks the values you're just shooting in the dark.***

In the end the TV looks great and actually is much better then first impressions, but you HAVE TO use Movie mode. Or it will look TERRIBLE!!!
LL
LL
post #635 of 863 Old 01-18-2009, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
shrabok,

You're definitely onto something good here! First, your CIE gamut looks way better than mine

I did a quick check with your settings, and they look very good. It will be a few days before I can set up my gear and do some measurements and additional tweaking based on your settings. To my eye (I haven't measured yet), yours are a better starting point than the ones I have posted.
post #636 of 863 Old 01-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

shrabok,

Thanks for sharing. I just tried them on my Sharp LC-52D64U and I must say on initial impressions, I like'em!

Just for fun I always try the different settings members post here to see if they are something that I may like. I'm going to try these for a while and see.

Thanks again...
post #637 of 863 Old 01-18-2009, 03:10 PM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the good news, I was hoping it could help people out. Let me know if you have any questions, since it's not my TV I can't really go back to easily and modify things so if there is anything I can help with, let me know.

Also SkyYYZ
Why bother paying for a BluRay calibration disk, AVSHD is free and after my first trial below, its a rock solid, wicked awesome calibration disk (for video that is).
Here is the link:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496
And a big thanks to whoever produced the AVSHD 709 disk, it's an awesome job.
post #638 of 863 Old 01-18-2009, 08:22 PM

shrabok,

If only I knew about AVSHD I might have tried it before purchasing and supporting DVE

Jay
post #639 of 863 Old 01-18-2009, 08:45 PM

Never hurts to have too many, I started out with AVIA, then GetGray, now AVSHD. Since it's free it's great to have more then enough in my books. Also I still use all 3 so might be worth a shot. Some patterns are better on different disks as well. And also DVE and AVIA both have audio stuff that the others don't so again, each has its Pro's.
post #640 of 863 Old 01-19-2009, 08:22 AM

I just purchased a Sharp LC46D64U. Out of the box the picture is terrible. I would so much appreciate if I can get someone's settings for this. I am hooked up to HDMI with my cable company. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you so much!!!
post #641 of 863 Old 01-19-2009, 08:58 AM

Am I setting my sharpness wrong? I am not trying to set it based on preference but accuracy. When I use DVE HD Basics it seems to have artifacts on any setting on the plus side but I notice people have their setting on +1 or 0. I set my sharpness at -10 but maybe I am looking at something wrong. Any assistance appreciated.
post #642 of 863 Old 01-19-2009, 10:15 AM

kwolf1031,

Look to my post just a few above.

the joshie,

check to make sure you do not have any settings DNR (digital noise reduciton) or edge enhancement process running. Disable pretty much everything and then you will probably get a better sharpness setting.
post #643 of 863 Old 01-19-2009, 02:31 PM

shrabok,

Your colours are way better than I was able to calibrate. Odd, when I stick DVE in and go to the colour test pattern they are way off looking through the RGB filters/gels. In fact when I calibrate using DVE's colour gels the picture is always noticibly green, whereas with your settings its much more natural.

Anyways, appreciate your posting the above settings! I'll pass them onto a buddy of mine with the 46" 64U.

J
post #644 of 863 Old 01-19-2009, 04:39 PM

Liked: 11
Hey, a few of us asked before but there must not be a specific thread for the 32/37" versions.
I/we were wondering about settings but I'd also like to know on a personal basis, whether to get a 32" or 37" version of this TV as a computer monitor.

If there is a link that has good information or debate about those sizes i'd appreciate a link or the correct phrasing to search with.

I know that many are very happy with 32", so my questions more relate to is 37" too big to be used as both a very close up monitor 4 feet or less currently i'm 3 feet from my monitors. I realize its a wholly subjective thing...after all i could move back if it's too big but I'd really like to get input from those who may have a 37" as a monitor.

System would be outputting through a HD4870 DVI to HDMI on the TV a very capable graphics card.

Edit at $687.12 delivered (including tax) would it be a good decision to buy a LC-37D64U NOW or wait for what comes out in the next few weeks/months.
Thank you.
post #645 of 863 Old 01-19-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyYYZ View Post

shrabok,

Your colours are way better than I was able to calibrate. Odd, when I stick DVE in and go to the colour test pattern they are way off looking through the RGB filters/gels. In fact when I calibrate using DVE's colour gels the picture is always noticibly green, whereas with your settings its much more natural.

Anyways, appreciate your posting the above settings! I'll pass them onto a buddy of mine with the 46" 64U.

J

I know how you feel Sky,
I found when using AVIA and doing the Flashing Colors patterns for color and hue, there really isn't a way to get good accuracy. I found flashing colors patterns never were accurate and my red would still push. Thats what swayed me to get a calibration meter (Eye One LT) and learned using the "Grey Scale for Dummies Guide".

It's hard to trust your eyes when calibrating and found the meter would give you better accuracy.
post #646 of 863 Old 01-20-2009, 09:52 AM

Shrabok

Thank you so much. What a big difference I really appreciate your time, I can now relax and enjoy my LC46D64U
post #647 of 863 Old 01-20-2009, 01:28 PM

shrabok, thank you so much for your much much appreciated efforts!
Your recommended setting does make so much difference when watching movies.
Wonder if you can make ones for PC and regular HDTV channels~~~
Again, thank you for your efforts and sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrabok View Post

So I am back from my day (thats right 12 hours with this thing **it was an entire system actually so not all of that time was on the TV) and I have to say...
This is the worst looking TV from the Factory I have ever seen!!! Now I am not saying that it's a bad TV, just when you get that thing setup with factory settings everyone looks BRIGHT orange and red, flesh tones are so unnatural it hurt!!! I felt really bad for the people that bought it cause they thought they got hosed.

On to my calibrations.
So first things first, The setup (or the important stuff actually) is the LN52D64U, a Samsung BD-1500, Connected HDMI directly between the two, an Eye One LT meter and AVCHD BluRay using basic patterns and the Color HCFR 100% color windows patterns.

So I went through the Basic patterns (setting brightness, contrast, and sharpness) and the patterns didn't look all that correct, but I did the best I could with them. Then went through adjusting the color values in the CMS.
My results on HCFR were really close and should be turning out good. So I put in a test piece and wow that orange and red and even yellow patches in the skin tone were horrible. And I couldn't figure out why. I got really worried after this, thought maybe it would be something in grey scale (service menu settings) that would be able to fix this. Also was also worried cause I spent a lot of my time trying to help these people out and things just weren't improving. so I took a break and started programming remotes.

And I stumbled upon it "AV MODE" the most important button on this remote, AND I cant believe they didn't build it into the menu so you could change the modes (it could possibly be there but I never saw it). Not to mention that menu really really should have a way to adjust values without having the whole screen covered in menu while trying to get a reading.

Anyway, If you are not using AV Mode: Movie, then don't even bother calibrating, no matter what you do it will not look natural!

So I went through the entire process again, and get this! The Brightness and contrast patterns looked proper, before I was seeing an outline of the "Grey bars" now I was seeing the entire bar of grey and it looked correct. Then I followed through with sharpness and the CMS. Here are my results.

(Note that any Input in AV Mode: Movie will have the same settings, and I was fine with the results on all other sources)

Backlight: -3
Contrast: +32
Brightness: +1
Color: 0
Tint: 0
Sharpness: +1
CMS Hue:
R: +13
Y: -2
G: -23
C: +30
B: +12
M: -11
CMS Saturation:
R: -16
Y: 0
G: -5
C: -30
B: 0
M: +1
Color Temp: Low
Active Contrast: Off
MonoChrome: Off

Color HCFR REC 709 using Eye One.
Note the colors are not dead on each point but very very close in my readings (the best that the CMS would allow me, green just wouldn't budge). The results were very good when checking test pieces.

***And like all calibrators say, this may not look good on your setup, might throw things way off, unless someone comes over with a meter and checks the values you're just shooting in the dark.***

In the end the TV looks great and actually is much better then first impressions, but you HAVE TO use Movie mode. Or it will look TERRIBLE!!!

post #648 of 863 Old 01-20-2009, 01:53 PM

I made a remark that any Input on the TV using AV Mode: Movie, will have the same settings and in my opinion they looked good. Since I personally think there is no other AV Mode worth using then you really are kind of stuck with whatever looks best for your best source...
Also mentioned it's not my TV so probably cant help on the others.
post #649 of 863 Old 01-20-2009, 03:03 PM

Thanks again for quick reply.
I am just wondering if anybody here has LC37D64U with newest firmware settings/tweak for PC/Movie/User/Standard etc...
I am a complete noob and just started learning things around this community so please forgive my denseness.

I take it that LC37D64U unit is either not that popular or relatively newer model, so there isn't any specific postings regarding the TV i have?

Also generally speaking, all the D64U TV settings/tweaks can be used all across the different screen size TVs?
I am sure there are different tastes/room/light settings that cause the settings to be different and unique, I just want to have base numbers where I can just tweak around to my taste and room/light settings.

I see veteran HDTV people are using some kind of programs but I am not that advanced person, so I'd really appreciate it if nice folks here would help me out with my first ever LCD TV.

Thanks for reading my long post.
Hope all of you will have a pleasant evening.
post #650 of 863 Old 01-20-2009, 04:22 PM

HO-LY CRAP W-T-F
I didn't even NOTICE that there was an AV mode!
This just shatters my entire world! lol
I thought I had messed/tweaked all of the possible settings on this thing. I was looking all over for "AV Mode" and then I pry open the lowerpart of the remote and low and behold it is mixed with all of the random settings such as sleep and closed captioning. How did they put such an important setting in the "throw-away"section of buttons?! Damn you Sharp!!! lol
post #651 of 863 Old 01-20-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketom18 View Post

I'm new to this forum.
Sam, these settings look great on my 65D64U. WOW, Thanks.

Sam any other suggestions on what I can do to improve the picture quality even more??

what AV did you use for this setting?

SamS, what AV mode do you suggest for LC65D64U?
I've tried your settings before and it didn't work out for ice hockey game - the ice looks brownish. Is there a certain AV mode I should use? I think I had it on Dynamic before.

thanks
post #652 of 863 Old 01-20-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philophob View Post

Thanks again for quick reply.
I am just wondering if anybody here has LC37D64U with newest firmware settings/tweak for PC/Movie/User/Standard etc...

I'm using shrabok's settings for Movie mode with my new LC37D64U with great results. So they appear to work fine across the range of 64U models.

The only thing I don't like about this TV is the narrow sweet spot viewing range that's typical with LCDs. But the image quality in that roughly 30 degrees of sweet spot with these settings is jaw dropping.
post #653 of 863 Old 01-20-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrabok View Post

I made a remark that any Input on the TV using AV Mode: Movie, will have the same settings and in my opinion they looked good. Since I personally think there is no other AV Mode worth using then you really are kind of stuck with whatever looks best for your best source...
Also mentioned it's not my TV so probably cant help on the others.

Shrabok, would you recommend your settings for watching sports in HD? (i.e. hockey, football, etc.) or are these settings strictly for movie watching. It seems on sports, your settings don't have the pop or vividness as the Dynamic setting. But your settings are the more accurate colour settings, correct?
post #654 of 863 Old 01-21-2009, 08:05 AM

Hey guys,

Overall my calibration was using AVSHD 709 calibration disk, so really I was setting the screen to the best possible settings it could. The real issue here is if you are watching sports or cable the best you can do is connect your connection from your cable to your DVD / Bluray player and calibrate that source, but since you cant compensate for how broadcast information is being displayed the only way you would have any luck is if the cable provider had test patterns you could view over their network. I personally think every source running on Movie mode is the best option. When I was viewing cable channels after my calibration it was very natural and accurate. I don't think there is a better AV mode or setup to use. I also recommend that if you find your Cable source to be dim compared to movies then turn up the backlight, but don't adjust brightness or contrast. That way you're not affecting the display just the level of light that's being put out.

So in short, I recommend movie mode for everything, all other sources had unnatural colors and did not make viewing comfortable. Movie mode just had better processing and cable should look the best it can be under those settings in my opinion.
post #655 of 863 Old 01-25-2009, 01:30 PM

Here are some settings to the LC-52D64U
http://www.tweaktv.com/tweak-my-tv/c...-52d64u-2.html
post #656 of 863 Old 01-26-2009, 02:11 AM

the ultimate settings for the d64u is as follows these settings have been a known fact... immediate change to these settings for best picture as of today for d64u

FOR BLU-RAY:

Backlight: +10
Contrast: +36 (+38 for animated movies)
Brightness: -6 (-8 for animated movies)
Color: +3
Tint: +2
Sharpness: +4
Color Temp: Med-Low
Active Contrast: On

FOR Xbox 360/PS3

AV Mode: Game
Backlight: -2 (in dark/dim room) +2 (in lit room)
Contrast: +38
Brightness: -8
Sharpness: from 0 to +4 (depending on your taste on natural vs crisp)

FOR HD TV

Backlight: 0 (in dark/dim room) +3 (in lit room)
Contrast: +36
Brightness: -6
Sharpness: from 0 to +4 (depending on your taste on natural vs crisp)

These are the ultimate final settings for the d64u, dont get into the hues and saturations!

Try them out.
post #657 of 863 Old 01-26-2009, 04:23 PM

Just stop jhuff, please, just stop...
post #658 of 863 Old 01-26-2009, 05:02 PM

The ideal calibration settings of any TV would be based on the user's preferences. It also seems logical that the source material could make a difference in the best settings. I have my 52D64U adjusted to suit my TV's location and my own viewing preferences, and it's quite different from what I'm seeing here from most posters. I don't want my TV to blind me when a bright white background pops onscreen, so I have my contrast (white level) set to +20 - much lower than most others here, but just right for me. My TV is in a fairly dim room day and night. Here's what I'm using right now that looks beautiful on my Sharp, in its location, to my eye, showing DirecTV HD from an HR21 DVR:

Backlight: STD
Contrast: +20
Brightness: +3 (Anything much lower destroys details in dark scenes.)
Color: -9
Sharpness: +2
Active Contrast: ON (unlike most others here). It brightens faces in dark scenes and shadows without having to crank up the overall contrast and brightness. It's almost like it has face detection, like digital cameras.
Film Mode: On

I haven't changed any of the hue or saturation settings.
post #659 of 863 Old 01-26-2009, 05:39 PM

Some excellent and informative posts here, thanks everyone. I have a question. I own a d44u model, and I was wondering if anyone here who has experience with the d64u also has experience with the d44u, and whether the PQ controls are similar? By the sounds of it I believe they are - I will try some suggested settings here, as I too am getting faces that are too orange/pink and reds that are pinkish.

Thanks
post #660 of 863 Old 01-26-2009, 08:30 PM

Shrabok,

Do you have any idea what the OPC range was set to after your calibration? Thanks for your time.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc42d64u 42 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page