post #1 of 15 Old 09-27-2007, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Make Your Own (DIY) LCD/Plasma TV Wall Mount
Homemade Wall Mount

INTRO

When I bought my LCD TV I looked for wall mounts and the universal mount for up to 24 TVs was reasonably priced, but the price dramatically increased when I moved to the 32 and above size. I went to my local Fry's Electronics, where the prices are usually way cheaper, but they were still very expensive to me. I looked at the structure of many of the mounts, and thought I can make something like that. The worst part about the cheaper units is that you are captive to where your wall studs are and can't adjust the TV left or right. I was able to make my own semi-adjustable, thin wall mount. I have had it mounted for several months and no problems. Total cost? How about under $30 after tax. I know for sure it holds my 32 TV but I would expect it would handle much larger because the mounts I used are for garage storage. Also, the weight is so close to the wall that there is very little torque on the mount. Just make sure you use large crews to mount the horizontal bracket. Here is what I did.

Make a trip to Home Depot and pick up the following items:

One roll of Marine and Automotive Weather-strip tape. ¾ x ¼ Price: ~$2.98

One 40 Closetmaid Maximum Load Horizontal Wall Bracket Price: $10.97

One 40 Closetmaid Maximum Load Vertical Wall Bracket (shelf support) Price: $7.97

Four 4mm- 7 x 12mm Machine Screws (If you use the factory screws it will not reach when the weather-strip is there. The weather-strip gives you the ability to adjust how far the Vertical Bracket is from the TV, allowing you to slip the Vertical Bracket into the Horizontal Bracket.). Price: $1.44

Two grabber screws to mound into the studs. As large as you think is needed to hold the weight. My TV is only 33 pounds.

Hacksaw with metal cutting blade (or whatever you want to use to cut the bars to length and to cut a notch.

Stud Finder

Drill

Drill Bits

STEPS (There are a bunch of pictures at the end of the post)
- Cut the Horizontal Bracket a few inches smaller than the width of your TV.

- Cut the Vertical Brackets, measuring from the notched end, about 13 inches.

- Take the other piece of Vertical Bracket and cut a notch to match the factory notch of the first piece.

- Now cut the second piece to match the length of the first Vertical Bracket.

- Place each Vertical Bracket against the screw mount holes on the back of the TV and mark where you need to drill a small hole for the screws to fit.

- Place weather-strip on the side that will mount to the TV. This helps prevent scratching as well as acts as an adjustor.

- Place weather-strip on the Fat side of the wall-facing side of the Horizontal Bracket.

- Find the first stud and screw a large screw into the stud. Find the second stud (approx. 16 Inches to either side) and mark with a Sharpie where you need to drill a hole for the second stud screw.

- Drill the hole for the second screw, just larger than the screw.

- Place the Horizontal Bracket against the wall and mount with large grabber screws.

- Screw the Vertical Brackets onto the back of the TV and slide them under the lip of the Horizontal Bracket until it fits in the slot. Let it hang.

There you goa mounted LCD or PLASMA TV for under $30. Sweet.
This is how thin the mount is. Actually closer to the wall than many mounts (Just over an inch from wall to TV back!!).

Sorry about the crappy pics and not rotating some of the images. You get what you pay for, and you didn't pay me anything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-27-2007, 11:56 AM

very nice...i think mounts are also over priced which is why i dont have it mounted...but this might actually work for me.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Try www.monoprice.com. I have a flush mount for my 52" Vizio and a articulating mount for my 42" Vizio.

Flush: $20
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Tilt/Swivel/Extend: $46
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

There are excellent quality and a good company.
post #4 of 15 Old 09-29-2007, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Where were you three months ago when I designed and built this? I looked everywhere for a mount that wasn't so expensive. I'm going to buy a TV for another room, and this is probably where I will go for the mount. Great prices on both mounts. Thanks for the post, I'm sure a lot of people thank you, too.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-27-2008, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I came across this post because I am looking for a good cheap and quick way to get an LCD mounted. These brackets are heavy duty, I looked at them tongiht...

Anybody out try this or any other "creative" methods for mounting their set?

My ONLY concern about this approach is that only two screws will adhere the mount to the studs, but if using heavy duty screws I don't see why this would be a problem.

Before you say this is only $30 at Monoprice, add in shipping and you are looking at more like $40, this solution is around $16.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-27-2008, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Some people say buying a $300 mount is worth it to hold up a $3000 TV.

Similarly, I'd pay $40 instead of $16 for a high quality manufactured mount as opposed to something crafted by a person as a Do It Yourself project to hold up my $995 TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy2k View Post

I came across this post because I am looking for a good cheap and quick way to get an LCD mounted. These brackets are heavy duty, I looked at them tongiht...

Anybody out try this or any other "creative" methods for mounting their set?

My ONLY concern about this approach is that only two screws will adhere the mount to the studs, but if using heavy duty screws I don't see why this would be a problem.

Before you say this is only $30 at Monoprice, add in shipping and you are looking at more like $40, this solution is around $16.

post #7 of 15 Old 02-28-2008, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Actually, after looking at the brackets again at Home Depot I am very concerned with the possiblity of the TV getting knocked off the mount.

If it was a smaller tv like the OP had I would do it, but The savings isn't worth the risk.
Unless there was an easy way to mitigate such risk by altering the design.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-23-2008, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

In the end I bought an Ergotron mount and paid around $80
It is awesome.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-24-2008, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
There's no standard wall mount for the sharp aquos 65" lcds. Unless I hunt down a special sharp mount, I'm going to have to build my own.

The mounting holes on the 65" Aquos vertically are 650mm apart, horizontal is 440mm apart. This TV is light at 110lbs (50kg) but I wonder if I can use this method to hang it up.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-24-2008, 05:11 PM

I was also turned off by the steep increase in prices as the TV size went up. I was looking for an articulating mount and my 37" LG had a 600x400 pattern which limited me to mounts big enough for 52" TVs which got pretty expensive. I might have went the way of building my own, but luckily I read this forum and learned to go to monoprice.com for the $46 art. mount that fit my TV.
I am getting a 46" soon, but only need a flush mount so I am confident I will find one reasonably priced.
post #11 of 15 Old 04-24-2008, 05:15 PM

Monoprice also sells extremely cheap speaker stands, speaker mounts, cables, splitters, pretty much anything you need for home theater.

Nice build though!
post #12 of 15 Old 04-24-2008, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroo128 View Post

Monoprice also sells extremely cheap speaker stands, speaker mounts, cables, splitters, pretty much anything you need for home theater.

Nice build though!

Monoprice explicitly warns that the aquos 65DxxU and a few other pioneer TVs is not supported by each wall mount.
post #13 of 15 Old 04-24-2008, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
WARNING !

Do not use Hercules Hooks to mount your TV.
Yes, they advertise to hold 150lbs of weight PER hook but I wouldn't risk it.

I would also stay away from those Best Buy/Targert/Walmart/Sanus style mounts.

Omni Mount is the way to go for a good, flexible walll mount. They can be had for cheap online and design them for specific TV's as well.

post #14 of 15 Old 03-26-2012, 11:58 AM

Understandable, that some mounts are way over priced, but take into consideration what you are mounting. Its the same principle as having a car and using cheap methods on the upkeep...It works, but not for long.

If your hanging a television, look at the mount as an investment, and insurance for your pricey electronics. You may find over time, that those "cheap" mounts are cheap for a reason. If your looking for some lower cost alternatives, check out Kanto AV Systems. They have quite a few options for smaller to medium sized budgets
post #15 of 15 Old 03-26-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

WARNING !

Do not use Hercules Hooks to mount your TV.
Yes, they advertise to hold 150lbs of weight PER hook but I wouldn't risk it.

I would also stay away from those Best Buy/Targert/Walmart/Sanus style mounts.

Omni Mount is the way to go for a good, flexible walll mount. They can be had for cheap online and design them for specific TV's as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucknadeau View Post

Understandable, that some mounts are way over priced, but take into consideration what you are mounting. Its the same principle as having a car and using cheap methods on the upkeep...It works, but not for long.

If your hanging a television, look at the mount as an investment, and insurance for your pricey electronics. You may find over time, that those "cheap" mounts are cheap for a reason. If your looking for some lower cost alternatives, check out Kanto AV Systems. They have quite a few options for smaller to medium sized budgets

They are all basically metal with the same basic design, especially a standard static/tilt mount, there's not much to them, it's a little like buying a Monster cable, it's just not necessary. If there is any weakness it will most likely be at the mounting point on the wall, not the mount failing. Articulating mounts are much the same story although some of the higher end mounts will have much smoother movement and most of the time better cable management. You can buy an inexpensive mount, static or articulating from Monoprice and not have to worry...for less than you can DIY it.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page