Olevia 65 inch 1080p lcd - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1768 Old 02-19-2008, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The mode for 1:1 on the 265T is called... ready for this? 1:1 It is one of the few settings in the setup menu without without some obscuring nomenclature...

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

The gross weight is what you pay for shipping per the size of box - it's weight plus the pallet they are usually strapped to during shipping that stabilizes and prevents tipping. Sure to say it's one heavy mother. Mine being 164lbs with stand seemed much heavier than that and it was a bitch getting leverage on it just to get it up on a 23" stand and I'm 6' 2" and 220 and had another helping. I would recommend at least three if not four to mount it though.

To the owners - does this TV have Dot Mode 1:1? (Sharps version of 1:1)

Guess I'll have to break down an get a membership to check this beast out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1768 Old 02-19-2008, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
just kidding just kidding. I would love it if someone would post a WHOLE bunch of pictures of this set in action. 10 pages and its pretty sparse.
post #273 of 1768 Old 02-19-2008, 08:08 PM

Ok, Im confused now. Which 265tfhd model year has the Realta processor? 07' or 08' ? I am looking at picking one up at Sam's before Friday. How would I know if it has the Realta?

Also, if you buy it at Sam's and you are a Plus Member, you get an extra year on the warranty, parts and labor in your home. The three year warranty is only $198. The one year Olevia warranty, the three year paid warranty and the extra year for Plus Members and you get a 5yr warranty for $198. Not bad.

Olevia wants $899 for the added three year in home warranty!!!!
post #274 of 1768 Old 02-19-2008, 08:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellman14315 View Post

I could get a 542I Olevia HDTV w/free HD-DVD player online for that much money! No thanks Olevia, I'll take my chances your HDTV will work.
post #275 of 1768 Old 02-19-2008, 11:22 PM

The 07' 265T FHD (currently at Sam's) and the (as yet unreleased) 08' 765FHD have the Silcon Optix processor. The 08' 265T FHD (as yet unreleased) does not. You can also see the HQV Teranex logo on the carton...

Quote:

Ok, Im confused now. Which 265tfhd model year has the Realta processor? 07' or 08' ? I am looking at picking one up at Sam's before Friday. How would I know if it has the Realta?

Also, if you buy it at Sam's and you are a Plus Member, you get an extra year on the warranty, parts and labor in your home. The three year warranty is only $198. The one year Olevia warranty, the three year paid warranty and the extra year for Plus Members and you get a 5yr warranty for $198. Not bad.

post #276 of 1768 Old 02-20-2008, 06:17 AM

Thanks Aacousticartist. I will definitely check the box.
post #277 of 1768 Old 02-20-2008, 07:10 AM

To acousticartist or anyone who owns this TV:

I hope this is no trouble, but I was wondering if you could look at the back of your TV and see if it says 100-240VAC / 50-60Hz?

I would be really greatful if someone could help me find out about this. Also, it should be of great interest to anyone in Europe thinking about importing this set.

I have a friend who will pick up this set at Sam's if it can handle 230VAC, or at least 50Hz.

I will be more than happy to post a whole bunch of really high resolution pictures of the set, or any other info, if anyone should still be interested once I get it.
post #278 of 1768 Old 02-20-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:

The 265T has the realta processor, no other. The other poster was basing his assumption on the pdf's posted. The AMD reference is the tuners, not the vid processor, as the 265T's now have AMD branded tuners (they are still ATI hardware).

Edit: This info is according to a level 1 tech (take that for what it's worth )
post #279 of 1768 Old 02-20-2008, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

come on people, post up those pics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #280 of 1768 Old 02-20-2008, 12:11 PM

It does say that. I will post a picture of the label so you can see for yourself...

I hope that helps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbjn View Post

To acousticartist or anyone who owns this TV:

I hope this is no trouble, but I was wondering if you could look at the back of your TV and see if it says 100-240VAC / 50-60Hz?

I would be really greatful if someone could help me find out about this. Also, it should be of great interest to anyone in Europe thinking about importing this set.

I have a friend who will pick up this set at Sam's if it can handle 230VAC, or at least 50Hz.

I will be more than happy to post a whole bunch of really high resolution pictures of the set, or any other info, if anyone should still be interested once I get it.

LL
post #281 of 1768 Old 02-20-2008, 12:17 PM

That is true.... I based my assumptions about the new, un released models on the pdf's posted from the 08' CES that appeared earler in this thread. OTH, the info I posted about the currently available 265T FHD is based upon having the TV in my living room (and its GIGANTIC carton occupying prime real estate in my garage)

I have never talked to any Olevia tech support... I called once but gave up after about 5 minutes on hold. It was a weekend though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by helkins View Post

The 265T has the realta processor, no other. The other poster was basing his assumption on the pdf's posted. The AMD reference is the tuners, not the vid processor, as the 265T's now have AMD branded tuners (they are still ATI hardware).

Edit: This info is according to a level 1 tech (take that for what it's worth )

post #282 of 1768 Old 02-20-2008, 12:19 PM
4bs

Hey all,

OK, in retrospect, I have a 747i, yeh yeh, I know..this is a 265 forum with a different panel.

However these two TV are very similar in most ways and the 747i forum is kinda slow.

So, I go into the service menu and turned down my dark room back light from 64 to 40 and am quite happy with the improved black level results. However my contrast took a noise dive as well.

I have ample of regular contrast to play with, but as I have cable connected to one of the tuners, I find that the most vibrant change is when I raise the tuner contrast a few notches.

I don't really want to pump up the contrast too much as the colors don't look as realistic, but I still want vividness with the reduced backlight..

Any suggestions from those who have taken a try at calibrating your 265 or etc sets further?...Acousticartist??
post #283 of 1768 Old 02-20-2008, 12:39 PM

To set the contrast and brightness on my TV, I used the gray ramp and a Brightness/Contrast test patterns from my iScan VP50pro. So much depends on the source though, and in the case of COX HD cable, even the particular program and channel. There really isn't a one setting fits all sources setting, so in my case, I set the TV's controls using test patterns, and from there I have presets that I can save with varying settings on my VP to match up the sources. I currently only use one HDMI on the TV and seldom use the clear QAM or OTA tuners in the TV, so saving for different sources on it doesn't really help me. Hope that helps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bs View Post

Hey all,

OK, in retrospect, I have a 747i, yeh yeh, I know..this is a 265 forum with a different panel.

However these two TV are very similar in most ways and the 747i forum is kinda slow.

So, I go into the service menu and turned down my dark room back light from 64 to 40 and am quite happy with the improved black level results. However my contrast took a noise dive as well.

I have ample of regular contrast to play with, but as I have cable connected to one of the tuners, I find that the most vibrant change is when I raise the tuner contrast a few notches.

I don't really want to0 pump up the contrast to much as the colors don't look as realistic, but I still want vividness with the reduced backlight..

Any suggestions from those who have taken a try at calibrating your 265 or etc sets further?...Acousticartist??

post #284 of 1768 Old 02-20-2008, 12:48 PM
4bs

Thanks for the prompt reply Acousticartist,

True, I agree with the differences for the different sources/channels.

And a wise answer..that covers all basis.

Now, you mentioned using the 'gray ramp', would that be in the service menu or in the regular user UI of your set...which could pertain to mine as well?

Pls excuse my ignorance..

EDIT: DUH.. never mind, God I feel so stupid... you were referring to a calibration test I assume....

My brain is slow today....

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticartist View Post

To set the contrast and brightness on my TV, I used the gray ramp and a Brightness/Contrast test patterns from my iScan VP50pro. So much depends on the source though, and in the case of COX HD cable, even the particular program and channel. There really isn't a one setting fits all sources setting, so in my case, I set the TV's controls using test patterns, and from there I have presets that I can save with varying settings on my VP to match up the sources. I currently only use one HDMI on the TV and seldom use the clear QAM or OTA tuners in the TV, so saving for different sources on it doesn't really help me. Hope that helps...

post #285 of 1768 Old 02-20-2008, 01:23 PM

To clarify; the test patterns I mentioned reside in my external video processor, not in the TV. Since everything in my system is routed through my external video processor, I adjust the TV's brightness and contrast settings using the test pattern generator in my external video processor. Then, if I need to adjust for Mac Mini HTPC or Sony PS3, or Cable, I make adjustments to the VP50 pro's input setup that correspond to each of those inputs. There are so many ways to route and configure things in my set up, this just happens to be the way I am doing it now. The TV doesn't have buit in test patterns, but you can do a lot with various setup DVD's (available in both Hi-Def and Standard-Def). Of course, a lot depends on your DVD player and the other sources may require different adjustments, but that does give you a good start. One that I use is "HQV Benchmark" which I have in both BluRay and DVD format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bs View Post

Thanks for the prompt reply Acousticartist,

True, I agree with the differences for the different sources/channels.

And a wise answer..that covers all basis.

Now, you mentioned using the 'gray ramp', would that be in the service menu or in the regular user UI of your set...which could pertain to mine as well?

Pls excuse my ignorance..

EDIT: DUH.. never mind, God I feel so stupid... you were referring to a calibration test I assume....

My brain is slow today....

No worries...
post #286 of 1768 Old 02-20-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:

It does say that. I will post a picture of the label so you can see for yourself... I hope that helps...

Thanks a lot for your quick reply and thanks for the picture!

This is very good news. It means it can be used (at least electrically) anyware in Europe. Well, anyware in the world I guess.

Again. Thanks a lot for the info! I will ask my friends to pick it up at Sam's as soon as possible.
post #287 of 1768 Old 02-20-2008, 03:14 PM

Glad to help... I hope you enjoy your new TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbjn View Post

Thanks a lot for your quick reply and thanks for the picture!

This is very good news. It means it can be used (at least electrically) anyware in Europe. Well, anyware in the world I guess.

Again. Thanks a lot for the info! I will ask my friends to pick it up at Sam's as soon as possible.

post #288 of 1768 Old 02-20-2008, 04:38 PM

Just thought I might share this with all of you. The Ö which is the first letter in the Ölevia name is the last letter in the Swedish alphabet. We have three more letters after Z. It is pronounced a bit like "ea" in learn, or "o" in word or "i" in bird. This sound does not really exist in English and so that isn't exactly what it sounds like, but it is about the closest I can think of right now. Just thought you might like to know where these two dots actually came from. I wonder if the Ölevia team really knew this when they decided to use it. They probably just thought it looked cool or something.
post #289 of 1768 Old 02-20-2008, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I think it gives the brand a Swedish slant. Volvos come from Sweden. Who really knows? Probably some branding committee thought it looked cool, just like adbjn said.
post #290 of 1768 Old 02-20-2008, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

do I have to beg

Please can someone post a bunch of pics of this set in operation. PLEASE
post #291 of 1768 Old 02-20-2008, 11:05 PM

Is the olevia 265tT FHD really worth taking a serious look at. It's true that the price is very appealing but what are you really getting for your money.
The set up at Sam's club is very limited. It is limited to Schrek. How does it compare to the other major players ( sony, Samsung, Panasonic, and
Pioneer.) The Realta Processor is top notch, but how are the black levels,
contrast, color accuracy, screen uniformity, how does it handle standard definition TV AND DVD, does it exhibit motion blurring that is supposed to be eliminated on other tvs with 120HZ. The 265t reports to have a 2000 to 1
contrast ratio, how does that compare to other tvs with 10,000, 15,000,
and 25,000 to 1 contrast ratios using the dynamic Iris. Is THIS TV FOR REAL!
or are you really sacrificing alot in quality. If this tv can provide a quality,
true high definition experience, then it will obviously be a great value
post #292 of 1768 Old 02-21-2008, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy725 View Post

Is the olevia 265tT FHD really worth taking a serious look at. It's true that the price is very appealing but what are you really getting for your money.
The set up at Sam's club is very limited. It is limited to Schrek. How does it compare to the other major players ( sony, Samsung, Panasonic, and
contrast, color accuracy, screen uniformity, how does it handle standard definition TV AND DVD, does it exhibit motion blurring that is supposed to be eliminated on other tvs with 120HZ. The 265t reports to have a 2000 to 1
or are you really sacrificing alot in quality. If this tv can provide a quality,

Welcome to the forum "clancy", your first post and its a good question as I was wondering the same things myself after seeing this panel at my local Sams.
I am considering selling off my 60" Pioneer 6070 plasma to get this 65" LCD.

So what say you, owners of this set, to clancy's questions and my question of dumping my Pioneer for this panel.

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Davyo
post #293 of 1768 Old 02-21-2008, 08:10 AM
4bs

Good stuff.. thanks acousticartist!

Quote:

To clarify; the test patterns I mentioned reside in my external video processor, not in the TV. Since everything in my system is routed through my external video processor, I adjust the TV's brightness and contrast settings using the test pattern generator in my external video processor. Then, if I need to adjust for Mac Mini HTPC or Sony PS3, or Cable, I make adjustments to the VP50 pro's input setup that correspond to each of those inputs. There are so many ways to route and configure things in my set up, this just happens to be the way I am doing it now. The TV doesn't have buit in test patterns, but you can do a lot with various setup DVD's (available in both Hi-Def and Standard-Def). Of course, a lot depends on your DVD player and the other sources may require different adjustments, but that does give you a good start. One that I use is "HQV Benchmark" which I have in both BluRay and DVD format.

No worries...

post #294 of 1768 Old 02-21-2008, 08:41 AM
4bs

I love answering these types of questions.

Essentially, don't believe everything you hear, 120 hz does nothing to improve motion blurring. It's only benfit is to smooth 3:2 cadence judder caused by 1080p/24 material and inefficient video processing. The REALTA handles all cadences with ease.

Olevia uses 5.5 gen S-IPS panels from lg-Philips for their recent smaller panels and 8 gen S-IPS panels from Sharp for their larger panels.

Samsung and Sony use 8 gen S-PVA panels.

The differences between 5.5 and 8 gen deals with only sizes.

The S-IPS panels are the best (and most expensive) LCD technology according to experts because they have better color accuracy and faster 'true' response times, and is better suited for profesional photography/ digital art, gaming.....and video.

The S-PVA panels are less expensive to make, have poorer color accuracy, worse viewing angles, not as resposive and is best used for just home use.

Both have equalivant contrast ratios when measured properly.

Screen uniformity is obviously worse with larger sets across the board.

As for dynamic modes on some TVs....you shouldn't use it at home....they're extra bright modes for show room use to help compensate for the flourescent lighting....and to get noticed. Using it overcharges the panel and can cause early pixel zone failures.

As for quality...well, for this TV, you're getting one of the best panels and video processors on the market..and the TV is built to withstand some abuse...unlike some others.

Most components the Tier 1s use, e.g. power supply, supporting circuits, panel parts, comes from sources that sells the sames parts to the Tier 2s and 3s. - So the overall life expentancy, safeguards and margin of failures are the same across the board.

As for value, that depends on you....are you confortable with the Olevia badge, or would you prefer to pony up an additional $1000+ for a name starting with a S?

Most people would pony up and buy who they know for that extra piece of mind.

Me personally I'd rather a Sony for status and slightly better customer service, then any other LCD brand....but I don't want to pay Sony's ludicrous prices.

But, if you're not a badge snob, have patience for long winded costomer service, and just want a reasonably priced LCD screen this size with high end specifications ...then here it is....this Olevia is your best bet......Your peice of mind could be that Olevia is the best non 'Tier 1' (market leading) badge out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy725 View Post

post #295 of 1768 Old 02-21-2008, 09:28 AM
4bs

You're kidding..right...??

This must be a sick joke...

You have one of the BEST flat panels - PERIOD on the market for a theater room, and you're 'thinking' about getting rid of it for an extra 5 measly inches of inferior (for a theater room) LCD tech?

No Olevia, Sony, Samsung, Sharp or anything else will make me want to part from a Pioneer..ever !!

If your Pioneer is too small....SIT CLOSER!!..

....Wheeere's yooour heeead at, where's your head at, where's your head at...?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Welcome to the forum "clancy", your first post and its a good question as I was wondering the same things myself after seeing this panel at my local Sams.
I am considering selling off my 60" Pioneer 6070 plasma to get this 65" LCD.

So what say you, owners of this set, to clancy's questions and my question of dumping my Pioneer for this panel.

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Davyo

post #296 of 1768 Old 02-21-2008, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

people....... please give us a hand here. Part of the value of this forum is sharing your ownership experience which in many cases includes pictures. Going to a sams is not real world experience. I know myself (and a few others) that are contemplating this panel would like to see more pictures. So can you take a few minutes and share. The lack of pictures is starting to make me worry about this tv
post #297 of 1768 Old 02-21-2008, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello Everybody,

I bought this TV about 30 days ago and so far so good. All I can say is you get what you pay for. I think it is a great TV but I think I need better calibrate it. Any tips on that would be great. I've attached pics of my TV and I'm using the Sam's club mount, however I recommend getting a mount that is wider to catch 3 studs, on the advise of my installer. This is one heavy TV to hang. Good luck everybody...I wish this thread was up about in December when I was researching this TV.

Also...I have a great guy that can hang this for you if you live in the So Cal area...I will be happy to give you his name. PM me. (I hope I'm not breaking any rules on promoting...I sware I don't know the guy personally)

JuanAbove

post #298 of 1768 Old 02-21-2008, 12:56 PM

It is very difficult to get a sense of a TV's image qulity by taking a digital picture of the set because there are so many variables and the technique, camera, lighting, etc. affect the results so much as to render it as useless unless you are trying to show a defect such as banding or screen uniforimty. Another problem in the context of this forum is the file size limt for including images in a post. That said, I posted a few pictures early on in this thread and here are a few more...

LL
LL
LL
post #299 of 1768 Old 02-21-2008, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 169
^^^ Yikes juanabove, those are gigantic file sizes for those pics. Guess a big-ass TV requires big-ass pictures (and no, I'm not talking about Al Roker! ) but this is ridiculous!
post #300 of 1768 Old 02-21-2008, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I agree dad1153 ....sorry about that, I didn't know it was going to display the images on the post. But it also won't let me display direct links until I post at least 3 times.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Olevia , Lcd Hdtv , Sharp , Vizio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page