Olevia 65 inch 1080p lcd - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 1762 Old 04-06-2008, 02:21 AM
Member
 
tomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked mine up earlier today.
I'll open it tomorrow.

I was surprised to see that the display unit in the store had a stuck green pixel.


This thing is huge. It would only go into the elevator standing up.
(Good thing it's not a plasma)
tomas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 1762 Old 04-06-2008, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
reincarnate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As usual today, many system problems are actually a multiple off issues interfering with each other simultaneously. In this thread I had previously complained of inaccurate color and pink in the screen.
Based upon a properly working second sample, I can now state my first Olevia 265 had a defective screen. It had light diffuse pink colorations which varied by angle but were always there. It had a couple of bright corners too.
Being within my 30 day return at Sam's, I exchanged my display for another. There is a huge improvement as the pink is gone and the viewing angle is very wide with minimal shifting. Grey is grey and not with blotches of pink. The corners are not brighter either.
The factory technicians were of little help but forced me to go through the hassle of exchanging/moving this monster. I did have second thoughts of just returning it. But my gamble paid off. Its a keeper.

Now on to the skewed color temperatures. Native mode is blue overall but goes down to ~6500K at highest brightness. Native mode also skews down to is ~5500 at full brightness. So I'm going to calibrate the display externally using the Lumagen HDP with the HCFR software and the Eye-One Display probe. All for $1030 with a lot of fiddle time. Then I will have close to perfection.

Olevia is not alone with sample to sample variation, as a technician has replaced my Samsung 52" mainboard twice because I knew its performance was lacking (a clue was DNIe did not work).
New technology is usually rewarding but is almost always guaranteed to be a pain in the ass.
reincarnate is offline  
post #633 of 1762 Old 04-06-2008, 03:56 AM
Senior Member
 
patsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ridge, NY
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate View Post

As usual today, many system problems are actually a multiple off issues interfering with each other simultaneously. In this thread I had previously complained of inaccurate color and pink in the screen.
Based upon a properly working second sample, I can now state my first Olevia 265 had a defective screen. It had light diffuse pink colorations which varied by angle but were always there. It had a couple of bright corners too.
Being within my 30 day return at Sam's, I exchanged my display for another. There is a huge improvement as the pink is gone and the viewing angle is very wide with minimal shifting. Grey is grey and not with blotches of pink. The corners are not brighter either.
The factory technicians were of little help but forced me to go through the hassle of exchanging/moving this monster. I did have second thoughts of just returning it. But my gamble paid off. Its a keeper.

Now on to the skewed color temperatures. Native mode is blue overall but goes down to ~6500K at highest brightness. Native mode also skews down to is ~5500 at full brightness. So I'm going to calibrate the display externally using the Lumagen HDP with the HCFR software and the Eye-One Display probe. All for $1030 with a lot of fiddle time. Then I will have close to perfection.

Olevia is not alone with sample to sample variation, as a technician has replaced my Samsung 52" mainboard twice because I knew its performance was lacking (a clue was DNIe did not work).
New technology is usually rewarding but is almost always guaranteed to be a pain in the ass.

Glad you got a set that's better.
We too have brightness in the corners, but not the pink like you had.

Does everyone have the brightness in the corners? I'd really like to know this, because if they don't, I as much as a pain it would be, I would exchange it for another unit.
The picture is really nice on ours. I do notice if I am standing at an angle, the picture looks almost like it has a cloud over it. I don't know if this is normal or not either, since I can't look at an angle with my Sammy to compare.

Pat
patsan is offline  
post #634 of 1762 Old 04-06-2008, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post

Isn't this TV over 250 lbs. ?

232 for tv and stand, 180 without stand.

250 is shipping weight, box and all.
Suzook is offline  
post #635 of 1762 Old 04-06-2008, 05:24 AM
Member
 
gsx95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My corners don't seem too bright, but I turned down the backlight from the service menu almost immediately. I still have red trails following dark areas on the screen with almost all sources, but Olevia has shipped me a new set which I should be receiving on Wednesday. I am not sure if I can keep this set if I can't eliminate, or at least greatly reduce, the red trails...
gsx95 is online now  
post #636 of 1762 Old 04-06-2008, 06:41 AM
Member
 
gla17624's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: louisville, kentucky
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i'm not seeing any red trails or the pink lights in the corners on mine
gla17624 is offline  
post #637 of 1762 Old 04-06-2008, 07:44 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 20,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post

Isn't this TV over 250 lbs. ?

200.66 pounds with the stand.
156.56 pounds without the stand
231.53 pounds gross weight

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #638 of 1762 Old 04-06-2008, 07:55 AM
Senior Member
 
patsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ridge, NY
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsx95 View Post

My corners don't seem too bright, but I turned down the backlight from the service menu almost immediately. I still have red trails following dark areas on the screen with almost all sources, but Olevia has shipped me a new set which I should be receiving on Wednesday. I am not sure if I can keep this set if I can't eliminate, or at least greatly reduce, the red trails...

I hear you. I wouldn't be able to keep it either if I had the red trails.
I turned down the backlight this past week, and it did help some....but it's still there.
My husband is very pleased with the picture on this set....so if it doesn't bother him (he watches it 98% of the time), I should just leave well enough alone.
I could just see his face if I asked him to exchange it.

Pat
patsan is offline  
post #639 of 1762 Old 04-06-2008, 07:59 AM
Member
 
gsx95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, patsan, the fact that you don't see them gives me hope that a replacement set may not have them, since i really want to like this tv. I will know on wed.
gsx95 is online now  
post #640 of 1762 Old 04-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Newbie
 
quasimatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

New member to AVSForum - I have been following the forum for nearly 2 months before
pulling the trigger. We FINALLY have it, brought it home -- managed to get it over
console and given the trouble even lifting it 2 feet - gave up on wall-mounting it!

Anyway, on closer inspection, we found 11 stuck pixels (various colors, green/blue/red).
The thing is -- I did not notice them at all. To see them, you have to really stick your
face close to screen and scan the entire TV.

The question is -- what would you recommend? I am really loathe to take it back
to SamsClub (it is only 1 days since we bought it) but the darn thing was heavy
and I don't really think we feel like taking it back. Options for me are:
1) Take it back to SamsClub and get another one?
2) Call Syntax and have them send another one (would that be a remanufactured one?) under warranty?
3) Just keep it (since the pixels don't really bother me - I can not see them from beyond 1-2 feet from TV).

Thanks -- any advice would be appreciated. I am getting DishHD installed today and
will post some pictures once we get HD content.

- Quasi
quasimatter is offline  
post #641 of 1762 Old 04-06-2008, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
those weights are from the manual but are in fact incorrect. Its been hotly disputed but confirmed by Olevia the manual was in fact incorrect
Suzook is offline  
post #642 of 1762 Old 04-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Member
 
mlwwally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I never knew Sam's had a 30 day return policy. I thought if your not satisfied with a product you can return it any time within reason. Only computers at Sam's has a 6 month return policy but I think TV's can be returned any time. Am I wrong?
mlwwally is offline  
post #643 of 1762 Old 04-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Member
 
Nostromo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

232 for tv and stand, 180 without stand.

250 is shipping weight, box and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

200.66 pounds with the stand.
156.56 pounds without the stand
231.53 pounds gross weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

those weights are from the manual but are in fact incorrect. Its been hotly disputed but confirmed by Olevia the manual was in fact incorrect



Hehe Sometimes I think I should just shut-up
Nostromo is offline  
post #644 of 1762 Old 04-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Newbie
 
coldheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Boro,Tn.
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well,I'm going to go check this TV out again this Friday.Maybe I'll bit this time.....

"PG-13 is the new R"
coldheart is offline  
post #645 of 1762 Old 04-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Member
 
gsx95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quasi-
I think that Syntax's dead pixel policy is 12 or more (it says it in the manual somewhere). If you call them and they send you a new one (as they are doing for me for a different problem, and they assured me it will be brand new), it will not be remanufactured. I will let you know Wednesday (when I am scheduled to get my new one) if it was not new as they said it would be. That many dead pixels would drive me crazy just knowing they were there!
gsx95 is online now  
post #646 of 1762 Old 04-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Member
 
Nostromo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsx95 View Post

Quasi-
I think that Syntax's dead pixel policy is 12 or more (it says it in the manual somewhere). If you call them and they send you a new one (as they are doing for me for a different problem, and they assured me it will be brand new), it will not be remanufactured. I will let you know Wednesday (when I am scheduled to get my new one) if it was not new as they said it would be. That many dead pixels would drive me crazy just knowing they were there!

Did you buy yours direct from Syntax or from another retailer ?
Nostromo is offline  
post #647 of 1762 Old 04-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Newbie
 
quasimatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsx95 View Post

Quasi-
I think that Syntax's dead pixel policy is 12 or more (it says it in the manual somewhere). If you call them and they send you a new one (as they are doing for me for a different problem, and they assured me it will be brand new), it will not be remanufactured. I will let you know Wednesday (when I am scheduled to get my new one) if it was not new as they said it would be. That many dead pixels would drive me crazy just knowing they were there!

Thanks -- I will wait for your reply. I have 30 days to take this back to
SamsClub. Meanwhile, we have ALL officially fallen in love with this TV.
If they send you a new one, I would probably do the same thing and have
them send a new one - do they pick up the old one when they deliver the
new one?

Yes - the last page of manual states that more than 12 defective pixels
would be considered DOA by them. But in the same paragraph they say
customer satisfaction is what they strive for. Makes me believe they will
replace it if I don't want 11 defective pixels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post

Did you buy yours direct from Syntax or from another retailer ?

I bought it from SamsClub.
quasimatter is offline  
post #648 of 1762 Old 04-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Newbie
 
quasimatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlwwally View Post

I never knew Sam's had a 30 day return policy. I thought if your not satisfied with a product you can return it any time within reason. Only computers at Sam's has a 6 month return policy but I think TV's can be returned any time. Am I wrong?

Sam'sClub has 30 days return policy. But I was told by multiple people
(I mean ALL of them, including supervisor) that if I am a plus member I
can bring it back anytime -- even after four years. I was a bit incredulous
so I asked everyone in membership area and then also asked to talk to
the supervisor. I still did not believe it and bought the extended warranty
anyway (if for nothing then for in-house repair). If I have to return this,
I would still like to do it in 30 days just to avoid any troubles.
quasimatter is offline  
post #649 of 1762 Old 04-07-2008, 03:51 AM
Member
 
gsx95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got mine at SamsClub too. I am a plus member, I was told I had 6 months to return it, but would still prefer to have all this resolved inside 30 days.
gsx95 is online now  
post #650 of 1762 Old 04-07-2008, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
stephenC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Internet
Posts: 1,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wish Costco carried the 65" model. I don't have a Sam's in my area.
stephenC is offline  
post #651 of 1762 Old 04-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Member
 
gla17624's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: louisville, kentucky
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
for all of you who are mounting this thing on a wall, how many studs are you getting the mount drilled in to? seems like the most i'll be able to get are 2 studs. like most houses, my studs are 18 inches apart, and my mount has about 31 inches of space for drilling into studs. btw, i'm using the levelmount for up to 65 inch tv's weighing up to 200 pounds.
gla17624 is offline  
post #652 of 1762 Old 04-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Member
 
gsx95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I used two studs, and had no problems (with the same mount).
gsx95 is online now  
post #653 of 1762 Old 04-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Member
 
gla17624's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: louisville, kentucky
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsx95 View Post

I used two studs, and had no problems (with the same mount).

wow, this just seems crazy that just two studs can hold this much weight
gla17624 is offline  
post #654 of 1762 Old 04-07-2008, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GoCaboNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Week number three and mine is still on the wall.

Location: Beaverton, Oregon
My Dedicated Home Theater Room
GoCaboNow is online now  
post #655 of 1762 Old 04-07-2008, 03:20 PM
Member
 
8thdwarf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone get a 'humming' sound with the backlight set low?
I get what sounds like 60 cycle hum in 'Dark' or 'Medium' mode.
No hum in 'Bright Room' mode.
Very annoying since the picture is so great looking in 'Dark room' mode.
8thdwarf is offline  
post #656 of 1762 Old 04-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Member
 
gla17624's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: louisville, kentucky
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thdwarf View Post

Anyone get a 'humming' sound with the backlight set low?
I get what sounds like 60 cycle hum in 'Dark' or 'Medium' mode.
No hum in 'Bright Room' mode.
Very annoying since the picture is so great looking in 'Dark room' mode.

i've been getting a humming, but i just thought it was how the tv must always sound. i keep my tv on dark room mode, too. i'll check to see if it does it when the backlight is set to another backlight mode.
gla17624 is offline  
post #657 of 1762 Old 04-07-2008, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
ok we have a lot of new owners here but very little pictures. WHERE ARE THEY FOLKS. show the goods.
Suzook is offline  
post #658 of 1762 Old 04-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Senior Member
 
redgtconv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 487
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those of you concerned about the humming noise. I have a 37" Olevia and it had the same hum. Loud in Dark mode, a little quieter in Normal mode and quiet in Bright mode. It was very annoying to me and got to the point that I called Olevia to complain. But, about 2-3 months later it just stopped. I have had the tv for about 1 1/2 years now and the hum has never returned. Maybe they need a break-in, but whatever the reason, it doesn't hum anymore.
redgtconv is offline  
post #659 of 1762 Old 04-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Member
 
gla17624's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: louisville, kentucky
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgtconv View Post

For those of you concerned about the humming noise. I have a 37" Olevia and it had the same hum. Loud in Dark mode, a little quieter in Normal mode and quiet in Bright mode. It was very annoying to me and got to the point that I called Olevia to complain. But, about 2-3 months later it just stopped. I have had the tv for about 1 1/2 years now and the hum has never returned. Maybe they need a break-in, but whatever the reason, it doesn't hum anymore.

i keep my tv in dark mode all the time. i kinda notice it off and on (usually noticeable when the sound isn't up much). a few days ago it seemed like a high pitch screeching, and it was getting on my nerves! now it's a less annoying low buzz when i hear it. when i first started hearing it, it made me worry about what the sound could mean. i had a tube-style CRT monitor for my computer a few years ago that had a high-pitched screech to it, and come to find out, it meant that the monitor was about to go out . i was thinking the same thing might be true of this olevia
gla17624 is offline  
post #660 of 1762 Old 04-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Member
 
gla17624's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: louisville, kentucky
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i'm not real familiar with what setting do what, so pardon the newb question. alot of the people that i see on my screen have pink skin like they have high blood pressure and are about to die of a heart attack. what picture setting would take care of this?
gla17624 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Olevia , Lcd Hdtv , Sharp , Vizio

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off