Olevia 65 inch 1080p lcd - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 1762 Old 04-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Member
 
luvflix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: N California
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had this Olevia for about 10 days. The 'wow' effects have not worn off but this one thing bothers me a lot. It's such a pain to cycle through ~10 inputs (source) every time I change from DVD (HDMI 2) to cable (HDMI 1). I'd like to program the Harmony remote with direct (discrete) codes for 'source'. Can anyone help?
luvflix is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 1762 Old 04-16-2008, 04:05 AM
Member
 
gsx95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The codes for this television are already available for Harmony remotes (I have the 880). It allows you to choose discrete inputs already, but for some reason the HDMI 1 doesn't work, so I use HDMI input 2. The "raw" codes are also available in a post on the logitech forums, and also in these forums somewhere (just use the search). These may help to program HDMI 1 correctly, but I haven't done it.
gsx95 is offline  
post #723 of 1762 Old 04-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Member
 
gla17624's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: louisville, kentucky
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
for those of you having issues with the red blurs. is this all the time or just with certain programming and settings? have you tried a different aspect? i've noticed that "1:1" causes lines and distortion while "full screen" and "aspect" look great.
gla17624 is offline  
post #724 of 1762 Old 04-18-2008, 04:06 AM
Newbie
 
adbjn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had this TV for about two weeks now.

Expectations and first impressions
========================
Before I bought this TV I read a lot of the opinions expressed in this forum. Based on what I read here I was expecting a big but rather mediocre TV. I could not have been more wrong. I bought it mostly based on size and price. I thought to myself something like well, maybe the image won't be so great, but at least the size is the way I want it to be and the price is very good. Now that I have had this TV for a while all I can say is: This TV is simply fantastic! Any normal person viewing this TV is simply blown away by the picture quality and the elegant design.

Picture quality
==========
Brightness is great. Black levels are very good. Colors are great. The image is crisp and super sharp. There is a slight backlight inconsistency that I knew about before I bought it - the corners of the TV are slightly lighter than the center of the image. You can see it in some black images in this forum. However, I can easily live with this issue. In fact, every time I see it I think to myself how lucky I am not to have the banding issue that more or less all Sharp 65 LCD owners seem to have. I was initially planning to buy a 65 Sharp and now I am so lucky I did not. If this is the price I have to pay to get a 65 TV at a reasonable price then it is just nothing. You don't even notice it except when the picture is extremely dark. So why make it a problem when it is not? Not one person who has seen this TV has commented on it and I doubt that they even noticed. I have a Samsung SyncMaster 244T computer monitor and it has the same problem. I never noticed it until I saw this forum... In short. Image quality is great. The backlight inconsistency makes me smile every time I see it - when I think about what I would have had to endure if I had bought a Sharp and when I think about what paid for this giant. Viewing angle is as specified. It does not matter from which angle you watch it. The image will look the same from any angle. Some people have reported red trails. I have it connected to a PS3 and I have never seen anything like that. Of course, I use only the HDMI inputs. Anything else is like asking for problems with a TV this size.

Defective pixels
============
My TV has one defective pixel. Actually 1/3 of a pixel. But you can't really see it from normal viewing distance. I guess I was lucky. Some people seem to have received units with a lot more defective pixels. Or maybe I did not look hard enough for them. However, I do not think I will try too hard to find them, cause once you have seen them it is hard to unsee them...

1080p @ 24Hz
=======
It handles 1080p at 24Hz, which I did not know when I bought it. A pleasant surprise. Even though it has to do 2:3 pulldown to get to 60Hz, motion is very smooth. Of course, motion would have been even smoother at 72Hz (3x24) or some other multiple of 24 - but I have to admit that I don't know if I could tell the difference.

Design
=====
The design is simple and very attractive. Before I received my unit I read some posts in this forum saying the TV was very nicely designed and things like My wife likes it too. Then I looked at the images of the TV and I thought like, what are they talking about? I thought it looked boring and not particularly well designed at all. I definitely did not buy it based on its design. I would even say I bought it in spite of its design. It was just size and price and the advanced image processing chip that convinced me to buy it. However, now that I have it I must admit that this TV is very attractively designed. In fact, it is one of the most good looking TV's I have ever seen - if not THE most good looking. The simple design and the elegant finish of the aluminum frame is simply ingenius. I know I will never get tired of it. I sometimes find myself just sitting and watching it - turned off :-) It is that elegant. I cannot understand why it doesn't look that way in the pictures. I am normally very picky about the design, but in this case I decided to go ahead and buy it even though I initially did not particularly like the design - and it turned out I was wrong - the pictures on the web don't do it justice - and it was a very very pleasant surprise to realize this. In addition to the elegant design the shear size of this unit is of course, to say the least, very impressive.

Build quality
=========
It is well built. Like a tank. And it is built with very high precision. For instance, inside the aluminum frame there is a smaller plastic frame made of four parts (upper, lower and sides). These plastic parts are aligned to each other perfectly. And I mean perfectly. The image unit itself is also perfectly aligned with the frame. Build precision is better on this TV than on our older Samsung plasma. There is one stupid design mistake however. At the bottom of the TV there is a curved plastic part going all the way along the bottom. When you lift the TV you have to be really careful not to break this plastic part. You cannot lift the TV buy holding your hands underneith it, so you have to use the handles. However, if you manage not to break this part, it does look very good and adds positively to the design...

Size and weight
===========
I was expecting this TV to be extremely heavy. And it was :-) But not as heavy as I had feared. 200lbs is not THAT much. It took three persons to get it up the stairs to the second floor, but that was only because our stairs are very sharply curved. It took only two persons to mount it to the wall mount. I am definitely no body builder and the other guy helping me is 70 years old. It is heavy, but it not THAT heavy. However, my advice is: do get help if you think you need it. I was expecting the TV to be quite thick. But the way they have designed it it actually looks quite thin once it is mounted to the wall. I don't think I would pay twice the money to get rid of 50% if the thickness. I mean, normally you look at the TV from the front and not from the side anyway...

Reflectiveness
==========
As I mentioned before, we had a plasma before we bought this unit. The plasma was impossible to watch certain times of day. Very annoying. You can watch this TV any time of the day. It does not matter if the sun is shining directly at it, you can still watch it with no problem what so ever. The anti reflective coating works very well.

Noise
====
I would say this TV makes about ten times less noise than our previous Samsung Plasma, if not less. It is almost completely silent.

Power and international use
====================
It handles 100-240V and 50/60Hz. I plugged it into the Swedish 230V, 50Hz power system and it just worked. The TV tuners do not work in Europe, but you can easily overcome this problem by just using an external TV tuner with an HDMI output.

Sound
=====
I do not believe I have seen a lot of poeple commenting on the sound of this unit. However, this too was a pleasant surprise. Crisp and clear. The sound is also very powerful. Much more powerful than you would expect from built-in speakers. The sound of our previous Samsung Plasma is a joke in comparison to this TV. I had the deep bass option enabled on the Olevia for a while, but I had to turn it off when we were watching a movie the other day, because the windows started shaking...

Shipping
======
I live in Sweden, so I had to have a friend buy it at SC in Florida, then put it into a container and ship it here, which took about a month. Of course, I am incredibly greatful that he took the time to help me. He was shipping some small boats and so I got to send this TV along with his boats in the same container. Well, anyway, there was shipping, then I had to pay about 40% extra in taxes and customs fees to get into the country. It was a risk. All in all I had to pay approximately $5000-6000. It could have arrived defective. There would have been no way for me to return it without spending an additional $5000. But it worked out OK. I am not sure I would recommend anyone else to take this risk. However, I am extremely glad I took this chance. The cheapest 65 LCD Sharp costs about $15000 in Sweden.

Negative
======
The only thing that I think could use some real improvement and looks quite unprofessional to be honest, is the on screen menu. It looks like **** (well, not nice) and it is hard to find specific settings at first. It looks like it was designed in 1985. However, it does its job once you learn your way around it. And, of course, who would not buy a TV just because the on screen menu is not perfect?

For videophiles
==========
If you are a complete videophile freak and you simply must have the best image on earth and you think that you would rather have a tiny 50 TV that is twice as expensive than this 65 TV because maybe it would be 10% better - then probably... well probably... this is for you anyway... Because you simply cannot compare 65 to 50. A 50 TV looks like a dwarf compared to this 65 incher. I can of course understand (if I try really hard) that if you are alone and you can sit very close to the TV, and image quality is extremely important to you, and you have a room with controlled lighting, then probably you could find something that would suit you slightly better. However, I suspect not even videophiles are completely imune to the wow factor of this unit.

Conclusions
=========
I do suspect that I am a bit extra positive about this TV because I was expecting it to perform much worse than it turned out to do. Someone who reads THIS post might not at all get the same wow-feeling that I am still walking around with, because maybe their expectations would be too high. However, I still find it hard to believe that anyone who buys this set would not be very happy with it. I would easily recommend it to anyone, especially at the price it is selling now.
adbjn is offline  
post #725 of 1762 Old 04-18-2008, 04:56 AM
Senior Member
 
patsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ridge, NY
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
adbjn...what a great post. Thanks for taking the time out to write about this set and you're experiences/expectations.

I have to ask you.....how easy or hard was it to get the base off before mounting it on the wall?

Our mount is up...but I worry about the man power to be able to lift this to get the base off. I cannot help my husband do it, so we more or less have to wait for some help.

I thought I remember a post in this thread about pushing the base forward to get it out easier, but now that we're ready to do it, I can't seem to find the post anymore.

Pat
patsan is offline  
post #726 of 1762 Old 04-18-2008, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
yes great summary that takes 25 pages of this thread and encapsulates it. Bravo.

Mine is going up in 9 days finally and I cant wait.
Suzook is offline  
post #727 of 1762 Old 04-18-2008, 05:41 AM
Member
 
mml265's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dorchester, Massachusetts
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone experienced a rear cabinet vibration noise from the built in speakers?
mml265 is offline  
post #728 of 1762 Old 04-18-2008, 05:43 AM
Senior Member
 
patsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ridge, NY
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mml265 View Post

Has anyone experienced a rear cabinet vibration noise from the built in speakers?

We haven't.

Pat
patsan is offline  
post #729 of 1762 Old 04-18-2008, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dad1153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbjn View Post

Design
=====
The design is simple and very attractive... I know I will never get tired of it. I sometimes find myself just sitting and watching it - turned off :-)

Can somebody film this in B&W with an odd choir soundtrack? Then your little anecdote from Sweeden would be just-about perfect. Congratulations on your new set, it was a gamble and it paid off handsomely. Enjoy your 65" and don't forget to give the TV some much needed high-def love from some Blu-ray and HD-DVD sources (if you can still find the latter).
dad1153 is online now  
post #730 of 1762 Old 04-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Newbie
 
adbjn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsan View Post

adbjn...what a great post. Thanks for taking the time out to write about this set and you're experiences/expectations.

I have to ask you.....how easy or hard was it to get the base off before mounting it on the wall?

Our mount is up...but I worry about the man power to be able to lift this to get the base off. I cannot help my husband do it, so we more or less have to wait for some help.

I thought I remember a post in this thread about pushing the base forward to get it out easier, but now that we're ready to do it, I can't seem to find the post anymore.

We tilted the TV very carefully all the way forward and onto a carpet so that it lay on the floor with the back side up. When lying like that pressure will be on the front part of the base and on the topmost part of the aluminum frame. I think the frame is definitely strong enough to withstand this pressure. Anyway, ours was. Do not lay it on pillows or something like that. That could break the screen. An even, soft surface like a carpet is probably best. Make sure the carpet goes all the way under the base too.

The base is made of two parts. Both can be removed quite easily when the TV is lying down like that.

Once lying on the floor we started removing the seven or nine screws that hold the large base plate (with base plate I mean the large plate that is in contact with the floor when the TV is standing in an upright position).

Before you remove the base plate entirely, make sure there is absolutely nothing under the TV that could break the screen, such as a screw driver or a screw. We almost had an accident...

Also, you need two persons holding the sides of the TV while you remove the last screws of the base plate. Otherwise the TV will fall a few inches onto the floor, obviously. Lay it down all the way onto the carpet carefully, after you have removed the "base plate".

Now it is time to remove the second (and most heavy) part of the base. It is secured with four large heavy duty screws but they are really easy to remove if you have the right tool. You need a tool with six sides (don't know what it is called) to remove these screws. The screws have a hole with six sides... Luckily, I had a tool that fit these screws. They didn't include such a tool.

I put all the screws back into their holes once the base was removed, not to loose them in case some day I want to use the base again. The screws from the base plate were put back into the second part of the base and the four large screws were screwed back into the TV.

There are two black plastic parts included with the TV (about 2x2x10 inches) At first I din't understand what they were for, but then I figured out that you should use them to conceil some of the areas at the back of the TV that become visible when you remove the base.



Once the base is completely removed it is a good time to mount the parts of the wall mount that go on the TV. I am assuming you are using some kind of wall mount if you want to remove the base... I used a wall mount called something like peerless tilting wall mount and it had two parts that were supposed to be screwed to the TV.

The most difficult part in removing the base this way is actually lifting the TV up again. The plastic part I mentioned in my post is probably quite easy to break, so you can't just tilt it up. If you do that you will surely break this plastic part. For the same reason you have to be a bit careful when lifting the TV so that you don't grab this plastic part. That would probably break it too. You need to grab it by the handles only and lift it up while at the same time tilting it all the way back up into an upright angle (normal viewing angle) and then mount it onto the wall mount.

This is actually not easy and a few extra people would surely have helped. I know I said it took only two people to lift it onto the wall mount. But, I think you should probably be three or four people just in case. Depends on how strong the two persons lifting the TV are. It think maybe we were a bit lucky not to have an accident while lifting it up... :-) It is not easy to lift by the handles and it is quite heavy, even with the base off. I have to admit that there were a few seconds when we were unsure if were really going to be able to hang it up on the wall mount. I guess we could probably have put it down onto the carpet and tried again, though.

Anyway, this is the way we did it and despite the fact that it was quite heavy it felt like a relatively safe way of doing it without risking damage to the TV. Actually, I cannot imagine how we would have removed the base without laying it down like that. It does sound a bit risky to lift the TV while removing the base. The TV is heavy. If the persons holding it get tired after you have almost removed the base there is no way for them to rest...

Anyway, which ever way you choose to do it - good luck!
adbjn is offline  
post #731 of 1762 Old 04-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Member
 
gla17624's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: louisville, kentucky
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbjn View Post

Shipping
======
I live in Sweden, so I had to have a friend buy it at SC in Florida, then put it into a container and ship it here, which took about a month. Of course, I am incredibly greatful that he took the time to help me. He was shipping some small boats and so I got to send this TV along with his boats in the same container. Well, anyway, there was shipping, then I had to pay about 40% extra in taxes and customs fees to get into the country. It was a risk. All in all I had to pay approximately $5000-6000. It could have arrived defective. There would have been no way for me to return it without spending an additional $5000. But it worked out OK. I am not sure I would recommend anyone else to take this risk. However, I am extremely glad I took this chance. The cheapest 65 LCD Sharp costs about $15000 in Sweden.

holy crap! that's alot of effort to get this tv shipped to sweden! they charged 40% in taxes to bring it in?!? and the cheapest 65" lcd in sweden is $15000???
gla17624 is offline  
post #732 of 1762 Old 04-18-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GoCaboNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Have had this TV for a month and COMPLETELY agree with adbjn.

Also, 34 days and it is still hanging on the wall.

Location: Beaverton, Oregon
My Dedicated Home Theater Room
GoCaboNow is offline  
post #733 of 1762 Old 04-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Newbie
 
adbjn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Can somebody film this in B&W with an odd choir soundtrack?

You would really enjoy that, wouldn't you?

Well, maybe I exaggerated just slightly. But I did sit down a few times the first days just to watch the nice design for a few seconds (or maybe minutes...). The design is simple, and often simple design is what looks best.

I will make sure to feed it as much Blu-ray as possible. However, I was a bit surprised to find that DVD sources look quite good too. I guess it is largely thanks to the PS3, which does the scaling. I have not tested the scaling of the TV itself, but I would not be surprised it it did just as good a job of scaling, or better. I understand scaling is one of its real strengths.
adbjn is offline  
post #734 of 1762 Old 04-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Newbie
 
adbjn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gla17624 View Post

holy crap! that's alot of effort to get this tv shipped to sweden! they charged 40% in taxes to bring it in?!? and the cheapest 65" lcd in sweden is $15000???

14% customs fees and then 25% VAT on top of that. The cheapest 1080p 65" LCD is a Sharp and it is about $15000. I don't think they sell many of those though. Also, it is an old model. The cheapest 1080p flat screen TV about this size is the 63" Samsung Plasma. It was about $8000 when I ordered the Olevia, but I didn't want a plasma. Anyway, I guess one should not talk pricing in these forums...
adbjn is offline  
post #735 of 1762 Old 04-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Member
 
jassiji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: So kaliphornia
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
adbjn: Other than the voltage difference do you have PAL or NTSC in Sweden? Also, don't you have 576i for SD?
jassiji is offline  
post #736 of 1762 Old 04-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Member
 
gsx95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
patsan, all you have to do to remove the base is remove the large bolts with an allen key, and move the tv forward, then up. That's it. I have done this a few times already, but definitely get help if you need it. I am in decent shape, but I had two friends hold it while I did it. When the bolts are removed, the tv did NOT fall forward, but it probably could. I think they did it this way so 2 people could conceivably do this by themselves.
For the record,I agree with most of the positive comments here. Bluray via PS3 via HDMI is usually nice, but with some blurays I still get the red trails. I think most people don't notice them (most people who have seen the tv in my house have no idea what I am talking about...until I show them). Most other sources have them. I also have a blue stuck pixel that is visible from where I sit to watch (14' away), but I could live with that for all the good things this tv has to offer (great 1080p picture, design, sound,price,etc). I am currently trying to sort out the red trail issue with the Olevia technicians, so we will see how that goes. I am glad that everyone is enjoying this television...it really is a great deal!
gsx95 is offline  
post #737 of 1762 Old 04-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Senior Member
 
patsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ridge, NY
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsx95 View Post

patsan, all you have to do to remove the base is remove the large bolts with an allen key, and move the tv forward, then up. That's it. I have done this a few times already, but definitely get help if you need it. I am in decent shape, but I had two friends hold it while I did it. When the bolts are removed, the tv did NOT fall forward, but it probably could. I think they did it this way so 2 people could conceivably do this by themselves.
For the record,I agree with most of the positive comments here. Bluray via PS3 via HDMI is usually nice, but with some blurays I still get the red trails. I think most people don't notice them (most people who have seen the tv in my house have no idea what I am talking about...until I show them). Most other sources have them. I also have a blue stuck pixel that is visible from where I sit to watch (14' away), but I could live with that for all the good things this tv has to offer (great 1080p picture, design, sound,price,etc). I am currently trying to sort out the red trail issue with the Olevia technicians, so we will see how that goes. I am glad that everyone is enjoying this television...it really is a great deal!

Thanks....so no need to remove all those other screws people are talking about? Your way sounds really simple.

Pat
patsan is offline  
post #738 of 1762 Old 04-18-2008, 10:04 AM
Newbie
 
adbjn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassiji View Post

adbjn: Other than the voltage difference do you have PAL or NTSC in Sweden? Also, don't you have 576i for SD?

We have PAL. I think that goes for most parts of Europe. But by using the HDMI output from the PS3 I am able to avoid any such incompatibility issues. I have not used it with a digital TV receiver yet, but I am 100% sure it would work the same way too.

Regarding 576i for SD, I don't know actually. We use one of the Component inputs for a Swedish Wii. The TV says it is receiving 480i from the Wii and has no problem displaying it.
adbjn is offline  
post #739 of 1762 Old 04-18-2008, 10:10 AM
Member
 
gsx95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsan View Post

Thanks....so no need to remove all those other screws people are talking about? Your way sounds really simple.


I promise you it is!
gsx95 is offline  
post #740 of 1762 Old 04-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Newbie
 
adbjn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsan View Post

Thanks....so no need to remove all those other screws people are talking about? Your way sounds really simple.

I agree. I thought you would have to lift it while removing the base. If not, and you have two persons holding it, this is better. However, if there are only two of you it sounds a bit risky.

I should mention (I just realized it now) that even if you lay it down on the floor like we did, you could just remove the entire base at once. No need to separate the two parts the way we did. Just remove the four screws and that's it.

Also, you can reattach the four screws and attach the black plastic parts when the TV is on the wall mount. No need to do it immediately.
adbjn is offline  
post #741 of 1762 Old 04-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Senior Member
 
patsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ridge, NY
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had another question hopefully someone can answer.

As far as mounting.....we bought the same mount many bought from Sam's Club.

While my husband was screwing the bolts or screws or whatever they are into the studs...one broke off. So he went and got heavier ones and the mount is on the wall a couple of inches higher than planned.
Now I need to know if everyone used the screws/bolts that came with the mount on the part that connects to the set itself, or did you upgrade to a stronger, heavy duty bolt?

Pat
patsan is offline  
post #742 of 1762 Old 04-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Member
 
gsx95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I only used hardware that came with the mount (though I could see how the bolts to the studs could break if overtorqued). The screws that connect to the tv were pretty strong...I think the mounting points on the tv woulb break before the bolts!
gsx95 is offline  
post #743 of 1762 Old 04-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Senior Member
 
patsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ridge, NY
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsx95 View Post

I only used hardware that came with the mount (though I could see how the bolts to the studs could break if overtorqued). The screws that connect to the tv were pretty strong...I think the mounting points on the tv woulb break before the bolts!

Okay thanks!

Pat
patsan is offline  
post #744 of 1762 Old 04-18-2008, 06:00 PM
Member
 
tomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
adbjn, congratulations on your effort to import this to Sweden.
It was nice for someone in the states to help you with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbjn View Post

I have had this TV for about two weeks now.

Expectations and first impressions
========================
Before I bought this TV I read a lot of the opinions expressed in this forum. Based on what I read here I was expecting a big but rather mediocre TV. I could not have been more wrong. I bought it mostly based on size and price. I thought to myself something like well, maybe the image won't be so great, but at least the size is the way I want it to be and the price is very good. Now that I have had this TV for a while all I can say is: This TV is simply fantastic! Any normal person viewing this TV is simply blown away by the picture quality and the elegant design.

Picture quality
==========
Brightness is great. Black levels are very good. Colors are great. The image is crisp and super sharp. There is a slight backlight inconsistency that I knew about before I bought it - the corners of the TV are slightly lighter than the center of the image. You can see it in some black images in this forum. However, I can easily live with this issue. In fact, every time I see it I think to myself how lucky I am not to have the banding issue that more or less all Sharp 65 LCD owners seem to have. I was initially planning to buy a 65 Sharp and now I am so lucky I did not. If this is the price I have to pay to get a 65 TV at a reasonable price then it is just nothing. You don't even notice it except when the picture is extremely dark. So why make it a problem when it is not? Not one person who has seen this TV has commented on it and I doubt that they even noticed. I have a Samsung SyncMaster 244T computer monitor and it has the same problem. I never noticed it until I saw this forum... In short. Image quality is great. The backlight inconsistency makes me smile every time I see it - when I think about what I would have had to endure if I had bought a Sharp and when I think about what paid for this giant. Viewing angle is as specified. It does not matter from which angle you watch it. The image will look the same from any angle. Some people have reported red trails. I have it connected to a PS3 and I have never seen anything like that. Of course, I use only the HDMI inputs. Anything else is like asking for problems with a TV this size.

This is what I also thought. I used to see the odd 'Olevia' name and think to myself, "Oh, another cheap knock-off brand from Asia" and ignored it. It really is a pleasant surprise how good this TV is.


Quote:
Originally Posted by adbjn View Post

1080p @ 24Hz
=======
It handles 1080p at 24Hz, which I did not know when I bought it. A pleasant surprise. Even though it has to do 2:3 pulldown to get to 60Hz, motion is very smooth. Of course, motion would have been even smoother at 72Hz (3x24) or some other multiple of 24 - but I have to admit that I don't know if I could tell the difference.

I just discovered this last night when I swapped out a VGA connection from my PC with a HDMI-DVI cable and the nVidia driver detected 24Hz as one of the modes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbjn View Post

Build quality
=========
...

Size and weight
===========
...

Reflectiveness
==========
...

Sound
=====
I do not believe I have seen a lot of poeple commenting on the sound of this unit. However, this too was a pleasant surprise. Crisp and clear. The sound is also very powerful. Much more powerful than you would expect from built-in speakers. ...


Negative
======
The only thing that I think could use some real improvement and looks quite unprofessional to be honest, is the on screen menu. It looks like **** (well, not nice) and it is hard to find specific settings at first. It looks like it was designed in 1985. However, it does its job once you learn your way around it. And, of course, who would not buy a TV just because the on screen menu is not perfect?

I agree with these general comments and was also expecting mediocre sound but it's not bad at all. I normally use my surround system. Yes, the on-screen menu is goofy but I've gotten used to it.

Enjoy!
tomas is offline  
post #745 of 1762 Old 04-18-2008, 06:26 PM
Member
 
chipsnbeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just watched the youtube video about the 52" version of this tv, I'm very excited. According to the video it scales sd signals very well because of something called "big picture technology".

Here is the link to the youtube video if anyone wants to view it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdg1vLCFQk

Can anyone who has this tv comment on the quality of sd content, all I have where I currently live is analog cable. Also has anyone played any fps pc games on this monster? I would love to hear your experiences!
chipsnbeer is offline  
post #746 of 1762 Old 04-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Member
 
bcope01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Big difference between the 65" and the 52", i.e., 65" has the SO Realta HQV processor, 55" does not.
bcope01 is offline  
post #747 of 1762 Old 04-19-2008, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
westa6969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: From Michigan now Retired to Naples, FL
Posts: 6,796
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Reviewer made a Comment in the review that of a preference for the Olevia 65" vs Sharp 65" because the Olevia has no Banding.

Facts are that you ARE viewing a Sharp Glass Substrate no matter what you think and the banding events are static in nature and all you can truly say is that Sharp 65" from Mexico D64 plant is not giving Banded panels to Olevia as no one else builds a 65" LCD panels.

Olevia's VP cannot mask banding if it's truly there. Hopefully this is just a sign that they ae finally resolving the banding issues at least at the Mexican plant and minimizing at K2 in Japan - K1 never had a history of banding. This is good news especially with thin form factors (and much lighter) arriving in the next gen panels that will have blacks to blow away the present models. I don't care what you say a 200lb panel is a bitch to move around and install without a team of men to do so. Enjoy as it is a helluva value but I doubt it would match a SE94 PQ but again about half the price of the SE.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
westa6969 is offline  
post #748 of 1762 Old 04-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Member
 
sunwaterpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcope01 View Post

Big difference between the 65" and the 52", i.e., 65" has the SO Realta HQV processor, 55" does not.

I'll probably be sitting about 12-14ft from the tv, would the 65 be too big? Does anyone know if the Realta processor will be in any of the smaller versions of this brand for upcoming models in 08?
sunwaterpool is offline  
post #749 of 1762 Old 04-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Member
 
msp116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I just finished my install I have all power and video run in the wall and the tv is now floating on the wall. As said many time before in this post its almost mesmerizing to sit and look at it even when its off??? WEIRD!!! I just put 4 3" halogen lights above and behind it and it look STUNNING if I do say so myself!! For the people who have yet to wall mount it just make sure you have some capable people to lift this sucker!! It gets heavy real quick and whatever you do DO NOT SUPPORT IT from the bottom!! Myself and my brother have put up and taken this thing down 2 dozen times and its a HELLOFA workout! I will post some pics of the final install soon!! Oh and I almost for got when we take it down and sit it on the couch it almost as big as my dinner table!!!
msp116 is offline  
post #750 of 1762 Old 04-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Member
 
chipsnbeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Check out the 7 series, there is a 47" and 42" that have the Silicon Optix HQV Video Processor.

Here is a link to the Olevia webpage with both of them

http://www.olevia.com/en-us/Products/7Series.aspx

In my mind I wouldn't sit any closer than 20ft for a tv of this size.


I just noticed the power consumption is 540 watts, equal if not more than a plasma.
chipsnbeer is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Olevia , Lcd Hdtv , Sharp , Vizio

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off