Olevia 65 inch 1080p lcd - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1762 Old 01-09-2008, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I watched the Sunday games (Go Chargers!) and I have to tell you that even with the COX feed, it looked great. I wouldn't base anything on the Sams Club feed. PLus the out of the box set up on this set is just weay too bright... looks very washed out. The 6070 is a 720p native set and is likely to be more forgiving of poor signals. Also individual cables to each TV in there are likely to be suspect. At times, I see the HD TV's hooked up via composite or component cables split many ways. Even if they are using COAX distribution, there is very possibly poor terminations or cables run next to noise inducing components. Bottom line, unless you can go through the menus with the remote and QC the hook up, there is no good way to tell. Talk to the head of that department to try and assess their A/V competence to get a feel for the set up.

See if you can talk them into letting you play with the remote and hook it up directly to a blu-ray player with a good test disc. Good luck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpwj40e View Post

Hey Guys....Checking this out at SAMS, saw a bit of pixelation. They have a 6070 right above it and that pic looked clean. Where it was most noticeable was some shots for the upcoming Olympics.

How is fast motion on this set....football...etc. Did you watch any of the wild card games or can you report after this weekends playoffs. Concerned with the triple ball effect on long pans and motion.

There appears to be quite a bit to like about this set....motion is the concern.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1762 Old 01-09-2008, 07:01 PM

Liked: 11
Football looks good to me, I do not really notice anything, focused on this with a punt or pass.

I think the real effect would be the grass during a pan, the blades of grass have perhaps a shimmer? This is being picky though.

The size of the set is really nice, would be hard to replace for the price.

Backlight / Side light?
http://reviews.cnet.com/DIY_Home_The...7-6220102.html
post #93 of 1762 Old 01-09-2008, 07:54 PM

Backlight (behind the TV or even on the TV wall as in a torch lamps 5 or 6 feet away from each side helps a lot. Just as a temporary setup, I strung a rope light behind the set and even just that by itself in otherwise dark room makes quite a difference. One nice thing about this set is that with the 300 watt halogen torch lamps to either side of the set (on a dimmer of course) are at full bright, the TV is extremly watchable with zero reflections and other activities can take place in the room and the TV still looks great. Those lamps will eventually be replaced by sconces higher up on the wall for an even more indirect light source, but for now they are allowing me to visualize ways to make the room more versatile and yet still close to a dedicated HT experience. I do have a decent sound system (Pioneer VSX94 elite receiver and Energy Encore 5.1 surround speaker system), so that of course helps.

I am going to install a 6500k backlight system, but this set up is good for now (until I decide that this set isn't going anywhere until there is an even bigger, flatter, more energy efficent, flat panel with blacker blacks and zero relections for even less money...lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS45 View Post

Football looks good to me, I do not really notice anything, focused on this with a punt or pass.

I think the real effect would be the grass during a pan, the blades of grass have perhaps a shimmer? This is being picky though.

The size of the set is really nice, would be hard to replace for the price.

Backlight / Side light?
http://reviews.cnet.com/DIY_Home_The...7-6220102.html

post #94 of 1762 Old 01-09-2008, 08:30 PM

Acousticartist/TS45: Now that you've had this set for a while, are you pleased with your purchase? Would you do it again? What other Sams Club sets did you consider? I just bought the last Pio 6070 in my city at SC (where they have 5 different SC locations) and it is still in the box. The night I picked up the Pio I saw the Olevia and was enthralled by the size and the picture quality was really good (they were showing some NHL hockey highlights and there was no motion blur that I could see). The size really got you engrossed in the action! We are just about finished building our new home and I have had a custom entertainment center built in my VERY brightly lit living room that can (just barely---with about 1-2" to spare on either side) accomodate this monster. My viewing distance will be about 15'. I was considering the Panny 65" commercial set or possibly the Sharp but the cost was prohibitive on these sets. The fact that it is 1080p and the Pio is 720p is also a plus in its favor...If it were you, would you return the Pio given the situation I have described? The SC electronics guy did say that (although not on this particular set since it was so new) that they have had a LOT of returns on the smaller Vizios and Olevias...That said, did you spring for the SC extended warranty on this bad boy?
post #95 of 1762 Old 01-09-2008, 09:55 PM

bump
post #96 of 1762 Old 01-09-2008, 10:54 PM

I am pleased. I didn't consider anything else from Sams. As I said previously, the picture on my 57" CRT RPTV was excellent. Superb blacks, excellent motion, accurate color etc. So I was only considering 1080p, and I wanted a bigger picture with the ability to do dot by dot from a computer at 1080p, so there really hasn't been anything else that I have seen at Sams that fit my criteria. The one that came closest was at COSTCO... the 70" LCOS JVC which is actually a great deal at less than $3k with a stand. But I really wanted a flat panel...

The 58" 1080p Pany is tempting, but not big enough to really grab me. I have been watching the prices on the Sharp 65 inchers (64, 90, & 93 series), but also hearing the horror stories on the banding issues that some people have had.

So it came down to a smaller size, as in the 60" Pioneer kuro, the closer but maybe not quite as refined 63" Sammy, or... waiting until something new comes along. Since virtually any set is going to be some kind of comprimise, I saw the $4k price on something I could return without hassels that I thought had the potential to be a comprimise I can live with... I pulled the trigger (on the last day of a 12 months same as cash deal...). So far I am pretty happy and actually more impressed with it than the day I took it out of the box. I have yet to try the Olevia phone support to get a feel for how likely they are to release new firmware updates, but at this point, unless there is something immediately available (within a month say...) that comes out of CES that gives me buyers remorse to a degree that I can't stand, I will likely be keeping this beast and be happy as a clam.

I hope that helps... I have just a bit more work to do on my set up before I post more pictures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltagg View Post

Acousticartist/TS45: Now that you've had this set for a while, are you pleased with your purchase? Would you do it again? What other Sams Club sets did you consider? I just bought the last Pio 6070 in my city at SC (where they have 5 different SC locations) and it is still in the box. The night I picked up the Pio I saw the Olevia and was enthralled by the size and the picture quality was really good (they were showing some NHL hockey highlights and there was no motion blur that I could see). The size really got you engrossed in the action! We are just about finished building our new home and I have had a custom entertainment center built in my VERY brightly lit living room that can (just barely---with about 1-2" to spare on either side) accomodate this monster. My viewing distance will be about 15'. I was considering the Panny 65" commercial set or possibly the Sharp but the cost was prohibitive on these sets. The fact that it is 1080p and the Pio is 720p is also a plus in its favor...If it were you, would you return the Pio given the situation I have described? The SC electronics guy did say that (although not on this particular set since it was so new) that they have had a LOT of returns on the smaller Vizios and Olevias...That said, did you spring for the SC extended warranty on this bad boy?

post #97 of 1762 Old 01-10-2008, 05:52 AM

I did get the tv mounted on the wall....I am very happy with the PQ....like said before, dont judge anything on Sams PQ setup....

Getting the base off, and mounting was a real pain, the base is heavy duty, and not 1 word in the manual about removal......

The mount I used was from Sams...Levelmount.com makes it...the 65" tilt mount....the tilt did not work...but it works fine in low profile mode.....

I will be happy to answer any questions.

XboxLive Gamertag : FocusHealth
post #98 of 1762 Old 01-10-2008, 07:31 AM

Has anyone had a chance to compare PQ against the Sharp 64? I finally found our corporate discount on Sharp and the prices are fairly close between this at Target and the Sharp 64. It's a lot of variables to juggle: 64U is 4 ms while 265TFHD is 6 ms, but the Olevia is a bit less money and has the Realta processor.
post #99 of 1762 Old 01-10-2008, 10:23 AM

Does anyone have any pics of this TV they can share? In reading about this TV (not being a technophile myself) it appears that the Silicon Graphics Realta processor in this TV is really top notch/cutting edge resulting in outstanding PQ. It also won one of "Electronic House" magazine's 2007 Product of the Year awards...

http://www.electronichouse.com/slide...ducts/1809/366
post #100 of 1762 Old 01-10-2008, 10:25 AM

Correction...Silicon Optix (not Silicon Graphics) Realta processor...
post #101 of 1762 Old 01-10-2008, 03:59 PM

bump
post #102 of 1762 Old 01-10-2008, 05:45 PM

I've noticed its not listed on the Olevia site any more..Are they already discontinuing it.. Also- not sure if it goes here but Sam's club had it for $3999
post #103 of 1762 Old 01-10-2008, 08:45 PM

Acouticartist/Cipro: Just curious if you purchased an extended warranty from Sam's for this TV? I'd love to see some pics you could post them...Is this a 60 or 120hz LCD?
post #104 of 1762 Old 01-11-2008, 12:41 AM

Here are a few pics... The stand was from Costco. A very reasonable price considering the quality <$400. It list a spec of 200lbs max for the top shelf, but I judged it to be strong enough for the 230lb TV and then added a bit of reinforcement to it. I also relpaced the sliders under it with Magic sliders which are a lot slidier and more heavy duty. I can pull the whole thing away from the wall by myself without drama to do hookups etc.. It is made of Solid Cherry and Cherry veneers over solid Poplar wood. No mdf or laminates. Really a bargain compared to what else I saw and it was in stock in the store- not 3 to 4 weeks away as in the Best Buy units. It also has metal mesh ventilation on the bottom of the cabinet as well as the shelves, which are are on full extension drawer slides. The shelves are not adjustable, but they fit even my Pioneer VSX-94 elite receiver... Also it incudes interchangeable wood, glass, and speaker cloth insert panels for all 3 doors
The TV is not 120hz or at least it is nowhere stated that it is. Motion lag or trails don't seem to be a problem as far as I can see.

I haven't gotten the exttended warranty yet... I probably will when I am committed to keep it though... forgot to mention that these are stills taken while the PS3 was paused with the Blu-Ray Chronos disc. I highly recomend this disc for pure HD viewing pleasure. It makes you feel good about your investment HDTV equipment

I hope that helps. Time for bed zzzz....
Quote:

Acouticartist/Cipro: Just curious if you purchased an extended warranty from Sam's for this TV? I'd love to see some pics you could post them...Is this a 60 or 120hz LCD?

LL
LL
LL
post #105 of 1762 Old 01-11-2008, 02:49 AM

I did not purchase the extended warranty, but probably will.

I will try and take some pics tonight......

post #106 of 1762 Old 01-11-2008, 05:23 AM

Hi Itagg,

Best of luck with your needs, I understand how this can take awhile to choose.

You Pioneer s/b a great set! I'm reading article after article on how 720p can be in your favor, and the need for additional resolution will not be noticed. Plasma has some pluses that LCD does not.

I did not consider any of the other sets at Sams.

The off axis viewing on the Olevia does seem to fall off somewhat as you watch from left to right, no big deal for me.

The backlight of this set is the biggest issue, rearing its ugly head in dimly lit scenes, but mainly on poor transfers. The low level scenes are not that bad, especially with what you get for the money, 65" 1080p. If your are into dark, dim, poorly lit movie scenes and programing, choose carfully.

Just watching a good HD transfer on this set will spoil you! The 1080p over 720p in my room would make a difference, we do not even have a Bluray or HDDVD player as yet.

The Olevia came with a 1 yr, our $100 membership came with an addl. 1yr., and bought the third 1yr.
post #107 of 1762 Old 01-11-2008, 07:28 AM

I was full of self doubt after purchasing the 265 but just the size of it kept it put for a week.

My 2nd choice was to be the Sammy 65" LED RPTV, but the poor off-axis viewing reminded me of the 56" I was replacing. The flat panels certainly look good from any angle and are bright too.

Marginal cable signal doesn't look too hot at 65" but that is my issue to resolve. SAT and HD/Blu DVD would no doubt be better.

Nice stand, acousticartist. I bought mine at BestBuy and it matches the 265's tech look:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1165609791259

Wish I had thought of the extended warranty at Sam's. (called the Sam's manager and I can take my receipt back and add the warranty. 3 years + bonus year for $200, sweet!)

Anyone hear the buzzing from the backlight?

ZBOXHD, Olevia 265, SVS 12" sub, MC50 CSW sats, Pioneer VSX_91
post #108 of 1762 Old 01-11-2008, 09:07 AM

Have not noticed buzzing at all, have not really tried to hear it, seems ok.
post #109 of 1762 Old 01-11-2008, 09:16 AM

No backlight buzzing that I can hear... I wonder if perhaps each of us who have purchased this thing were to call Olevia's support line and illuminated (so to speak...) them on the nature of the one fly in the ointment (the uneven backlight) and let them know that set might be returned if there is nothing to be done for it... well perhaps they might address this with a firmwre update. By the way, my firmware is 265-T11_V63.7.3A17 and I found that "Firmware_265FHD_V63.7.4.zip" is available at (remove space after the slashes) http:// 64.168.125.230/support/Syntax/Television/Firmware/FW_2007-11/ but there are no instructions that I can find on how to update the firmware for this TV... or what the differences are for that matter. I found that link somwhere else on this forum I beleive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty_2000 View Post

I was full of self doubt after purchasing the 265 but just the size of it kept it put for a week.

My 2nd choice was to be the Sammy 65" LED RPTV, but the poor off-axis viewing reminded me of the 56" I was replacing. The flat panels certainly look good from any angle and are bright too.

Marginal cable signal doesn't look too hot at 65" but that is my issue to resolve. SAT and HD/Blu DVD would no doubt be better.

Sweet stand, acousticartist. I bought mine at BestBuy and it matches the 265's tech look:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1165609791259

Wish I had thought of the extended warranty at Sam's...will have to add it on.

Anyone hear the buzzing from the backlight?

post #110 of 1762 Old 01-11-2008, 09:58 AM

Not sure how the backlight system works, if it could be adjusted for "hotpots" etc.

I think alot of this is also due to off axis viewing, this does effect the picture and can lighten / darken areas of the screen a little.
post #111 of 1762 Old 01-11-2008, 03:23 PM

ok...i dropped the backlight to 40 in dark mode and it seems to be much better now....

post #112 of 1762 Old 01-11-2008, 03:31 PM

My current backlight settings are;
Dark-16
Medium-23
Bright-25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipro View Post

ok...i dropped the backlight to 40 in dark mode and it seems to be much better now....

post #113 of 1762 Old 01-11-2008, 04:18 PM

This 265TFHD-T11 is growing on me, quite a large improvement from our 57" CRT it replaced. That was our goal.

It not only is performing great, the flat panel really opens up the room, both visually and soundwise. Noticing an improved surround feel, must have to do with repositioning the speakers alittle and not having a large object within the mains.

As my tastes have moved to more music listening, I was hoping for this result, we may add a cutain effect to close over the 265T for music only.

Combine all the features of the set (really, really nice) and looks, and already improved sound, this could be a keeper....

Standard DVD's look good, this additional detail the 265T provides is showing alot of softness and edge enhancement with standard DVD's. Was really hoping to hold off longer on a 1080P DVD player, may have to speed this up a tad.
post #114 of 1762 Old 01-11-2008, 04:49 PM

Glad to hear it... Just curious, what are your service mode backlight settings?

Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS45 View Post

This 265TFHD-T11 is growing on me, quite a large improvement from our 57" CRT it replaced. That was our goal.

It not only is performing great, the flat panel really opens up the room, both visually and soundwise. Noticing an improved surround feel, must have to do with repositioning the speakers alittle and not having a large object within the mains.

As my tastes have moved to more music listening, I was hoping for this result, we may add a cutain effect to close over the 265T for music only.

Combine all the features of the set (really, really nice) and looks, and already improved sound, this could be a keeper....

Standard DVD's look good, this additional detail the 265T provides is showing alot of softness and edge enhancement with standard DVD's. Was really hoping to hold off longer on a 1080P DVD player, may have to speed this up a tad.

post #115 of 1762 Old 01-11-2008, 06:29 PM

Backlight set at

low -15
medium -40
high -70

watch mainly @ medium.
post #116 of 1762 Old 01-11-2008, 08:19 PM

Acousticartist: Thanks for the pics. Looks very nice

Does anyone who owns this set have it in a room with a lot of ambient light? My living room (where this set would go) has big bay windows with a southern exposure and the ambient light/glare in the afternoons--especially in the winter when the sun is lower in the sky--is brutal...This being a new house we'll eventually add draperies but I'm fearful the Pio 6070 I bought at Sam's is going to get washed out big time with all of the light. I'm thinking the Olevia would fare much better in this space...Does anyone have this set where this is a great deal of ambient light? One other thing...Did the TV appear to "grow" in size (vs how it looked size-wise at Sam's) once you got it home?
post #117 of 1762 Old 01-11-2008, 09:44 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

...Did the TV appear to "grow" in size (vs how it looked size-wise at Sam's) once you got it home?

TV's (and Christmas trees) ALWAYS seem much bigger in your living room
post #118 of 1762 Old 01-11-2008, 09:49 PM

When I was a bachelor (LONG ago), palm trees did too...
post #119 of 1762 Old 01-11-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:

When I was a bachelor (LONG ago), palm trees did too...

Correction: When I had a bachelor pad (LONG ago), FAKE palm trees did too (I always seemed to kill the real ones...)
post #120 of 1762 Old 01-12-2008, 06:01 AM

Both plasma and lcd are supposed to be the preferred display for a bright room. Light will spoil any picture, however a display with a glossy glass screen compared to a matte screen would lead me to believe the matte is better. In a darkened room, no big deal.

Read this article while surfing here, may influence your purchase?

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/featu...concerned.html
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Olevia , Lcd Hdtv , Sharp , Vizio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page