Olevia 65 inch 1080p lcd - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 1768 Old 01-16-2008, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Itagg,

We have a 2002 Odyssey, it fit laying down with about 1/8" to spare from the 2 metal cleats on each side of the van. We kept the glass side up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1768 Old 01-16-2008, 06:27 PM

Liked: 10
Woo hoo! Sounds like it was meant to be, Itagg. Time to saddle up and bring it on home At first glance I thought it was you who posted the 'fits like a glove in my Odyssey', but I see you are still on the fence. Tough choices, but there will always be the next big deal in all technology products. The good news is that what is out today is pretty darn good and will likely be enjoyable for for a number of years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS45 View Post

Itagg,

We have a 2002 Odyssey, it fit laying down with about 1/8" to spare from the 2 metal cleats on each side of the van. We kept the glass side up.

post #153 of 1768 Old 01-16-2008, 09:54 PM

TS45...Well, with your information I know for SURE that it will fit since we also have a 2002 Honda Odyssey (great family vehicle, by the way). I'm assuming it wouldn't fit standing upright, right? I always have heard it is taboo to haul flat panel laying down but maybe that only applies to plasma...

Cipro....Looking forward to seeing your pics of it wall mounted...Did you install this monster yourself? I'm thinking of having someone else tackle this...

All: Does SC have any kind of home theater installation service available (to hang this TV)?...They sell the wall mounts and they seem to offer every other service under the sun...Will BB or CC hang a TV if you don't buy your wall mounts from them?
post #154 of 1768 Old 01-17-2008, 06:36 AM

Liked: 11
Itagg,

My Son (26) and I had to set the TV on the Bumper and carefully lay over on the side (Glass up). We both have moved TV's for a couple of years in the bus.

Best would be a larger van, even a P.U., keeping it vertical, yet the trip home in the Ody. had no ill effects on us or more importantly, the TV.

How is the Pioneer looking, do you like it? Any issues?
post #155 of 1768 Old 01-17-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS45 View Post

Itagg,

My Son (26) and I had to set the TV on the Bumper and carefully lay over on the side (Glass up). We both have moved TV's for a couple of years in the bus.

Best would be a larger van, even a P.U., keeping it vertical, yet the trip home in the Ody. had no ill effects on us or more importantly, the TV.

How is the Pioneer looking, do you like it? Any issues?

The Pio 6070 is still in the box in a (temperature controlled) storage unit while I debate whether or not to take it back and get the Olevia...Now I'm totally confused since the price of the 65" 1080p Panny plasma has dropped drastically this week to slightly less than $1k more than the price of the Olevia (I would have a whopping 1/4" of clearance on either side in my new entertainment center with the Panny, closer even than with the Olevia)...We just finished building our home (16 mo's of agony--I don't recommend it unless you are a masochist), having closed on it this week. We're moving next week, getting things out of storage, and I've got to decide quickly what to do about the tv in the living room since the family will tolerate the huge unoccupied space in the entertainment center for very long....

Cipro: Any pics yet of your wall mount setup?
post #156 of 1768 Old 01-21-2008, 08:29 AM

FYI something in this month's Home Theater magazine applies to our Olevias:

-the Sharp (LCD flat panel) has a very narrow viewing angle. If you sit dead center the color and black level are perfect. Move one foot left or right and the black level turns blue and the color fades-

EXACTLY what my Olevia 65" looks like. I think Olevia uses Sharp glass for this model.

ZBOXHD, Olevia 265, SVS 12" sub, MC50 CSW sats, Pioneer VSX_91
post #157 of 1768 Old 01-21-2008, 12:37 PM

Is this article available to read on line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty_2000 View Post

FYI something in this month's Home Theater magazine applies to our Olevias:

-the Sharp (LCD flat panel) has a very narrow viewing angle. If you sit dead center the color and black level are perfect. Move one foot left or right and the black level turns blue and the color fades-

EXACTLY what my Olevia 65" looks like. I think Olevia uses Sharp glass for this model.

post #158 of 1768 Old 01-21-2008, 02:17 PM

Ok, my apologies...I have been spending my free time working....

Here are the pitures...I used the mount from Sams club, made my levelmount.com

took 3 of us.....it was not too bad, but thats becasue I can get to the back of the wall's exposed studs....

http://picasaweb.google.com/drew.man...40891062208706
http://picasaweb.google.com/drew.man...40895357176018
http://picasaweb.google.com/drew.man...40912537045218

XboxLive Gamertag : FocusHealth
post #159 of 1768 Old 01-21-2008, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipro View Post

Ok, my apologies...I have been spending my free time working....

Here are the pitures...I used the mount from Sams club, made my levelmount.com

took 3 of us.....it was not too bad, but thats becasue I can get to the back of the wall's exposed studs....

Not to sound TOO ungrateful, but how about having something in the picture to indicate scale? How do we know that that isn't a 22 inch panel or something
post #160 of 1768 Old 01-22-2008, 10:26 PM

Anybody manage to upgrade the firmware on this thing?

I bit the bullet and hauled a unit out from Sam's this weekend and observed my firmware was out of date (V63.7.3A17 vs. V63.7.4). Entering my serial number on the website gave me a downloadable firmware file that is nothing more than a .bin file when unzipped, no other firmware utility files included (whereas the instructions provided by a low level Syntax tech indicated there should be).

My tech support experience with Syntax so far has not been so great. The level one techs claim they don't know much about the set "because it's so new". Funny that the set has been completely wiped off the syntax website, not a single mention of it anywhere.

I called for two reasons:

1) To solve the firmware mystery. First tech emailed me instructions that I had already followed verbatim (assuming this was a FAT32 thumbdrive upgrade using the lone .bin file) and nothing happened. I was told to ask for "Level 2" tech support the next day and got the same "I dunno" response. SOMEBODY makes and designs this set, and I politely requested that I get in contact with such a person. Still waiting, we shall see.

2) I need to know if this set can disable SVM. I'm bummed nobody here noticed the profoundly visible edge enhancement processing in the picture and the fact it can not be disabled in the regular menu nor the service menu (at least with my firmware version). SVM has no place whatsoever on a HD picture and I will be promptly bringing this set back to Sam's for a refund if this can not be turned off. Turning the sharp setting all the way down does not help. The obvious signs of SVM are still there - the ringing, ghosting, and artifacts in the image, particularly text. This is observed on previously verified blemish-free 1080p material. The "Level 2" tech had no clue what SVM was but told me he would pass along my question to "engineering" to see what can be done. Again, we shall see.
post #161 of 1768 Old 01-23-2008, 02:22 AM

I haven't noticed the sharpening artifacts of which you speak. I the image I see doesn't include the ringing and ghosting that you describe. When I look at text on my HTPC (Mac Mini @1920X1080 60HZ in 1 to 1 mode), the text looks as clean as I have ever seen, and working in education for a lot of years, I have struggled to get clean images that were heavily dependent on legible text being visible from the back of the room. With the cropping on, test patterns like the checker board and fine vertical or horizontal lines look banded. Turn the cropping off, and the patterns look as they should. Obviously, cropping and 1 to 1 mode are mutually exclusive. On other 1080p sources such as Bluray from my PS3, the image is as good as the source will allow, with the exception of backlight uniformity (lighter on the bottom corners) and black level on very dark scenes. Even DVD's and SD cable look good. So I wonder if perhaps the problem is with your particular set. Speaking of SVM, I thought that feature was limited to CRT's. I hadn't heard of it in relation to LCD flat screen TV's, though there are many edge 'enhancement' schemes out there that are usually some sort of sharpness. I don't think that it is possible to modulate the scanning velocity of a fixed pixel display... but I defer to the experts. I am just someone who has served as an informed consumer of this technology; more into the systems integration and component selection aspect of A/V as related to 'Smart Classrooms' than to a theater quality cinema experience. In the one room that was close to that ideal (actually a theater, originally with 35mm projectors), we used a decent 3 chip DLP Panasonic projector with a 20 foot wide screen. Though I have at times set up (focus, convergence, and seat of the pants calibration) CRT front projectors and such. That was of course after watching the experts and asking them all sorts of annoying questions...

Sorry to hear about your frustrations with your set... Myself, the only real fly in the ointment (at least the only one which has me considering returning it) is the unevenness of the backlight. The jury is still deadlocked on that one, but finances may yet convince me to keep it versus a step up to the 93 series Sharp at about 3k more.

Please post what you find out about your set and what you decide. I am also wondering how to do a firmware upgrade since there doesn't seem to be any instructions that I can find that apply to this model.

Good luck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by helkins View Post

Anybody manage to upgrade the firmware on this thing?

I bit the bullet and hauled a unit out from Sam's this weekend and observed my firmware was out of date (V63.7.3A17 vs. V63.7.4). Entering my serial number on the website gave me a downloadable firmware file that is nothing more than a .bin file when unzipped, no other firmware utility files included (whereas the instructions provided by a low level Syntax tech indicated there should be).

My tech support experience with Syntax so far has not been so great. The level one techs claim they don't know much about the set "because it's so new". Funny that the set has been completely wiped off the syntax website, not a single mention of it anywhere.

I called for two reasons:

1) To solve the firmware mystery. First tech emailed me instructions that I had already followed verbatim (assuming this was a FAT32 thumbdrive upgrade using the lone .bin file) and nothing happened. I was told to ask for "Level 2" tech support the next day and got the same "I dunno" response. SOMEBODY makes and designs this set, and I politely requested that I get in contact with such a person. Still waiting, we shall see.

2) I need to know if this set can disable SVM. I'm bummed nobody here noticed the profoundly visible edge enhancement processing in the picture and the fact it can not be disabled in the regular menu nor the service menu (at least with my firmware version). SVM has no place whatsoever on a HD picture and I will be promptly bringing this set back to Sam's for a refund if this can not be turned off. Turning the sharp setting all the way down does not help. The obvious signs of SVM are still there - the ringing, ghosting, and artifacts in the image, particularly text. This is observed on previously verified blemish-free 1080p material. The "Level 2" tech had no clue what SVM was but told me he would pass along my question to "engineering" to see what can be done. Again, we shall see.

post #162 of 1768 Old 01-23-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticartist View Post

Speaking of SVM, I thought that feature was limited to CRT's. I hadn't heard of it in relation to LCD flat screen TV's, though there are many edge 'enhancement' schemes out there that are usually some sort of sharpness. I don't think that it is possible to modulate the scanning velocity of a fixed pixel display... but I defer to the experts.

SVM unfortunately rears its ugly head on all technologies. It was the first thing I turned off when I brought in my last set, a Mitsubishi DLP.
post #163 of 1768 Old 01-23-2008, 08:21 AM

it is weird how no one at Olevia knows about the set...I spoke to two techs who said the set was to new. You cant get the manual off the web, its weird....

post #164 of 1768 Old 01-23-2008, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Syntax-Olevia announced at CES that their next generation of top-tier HDTV's (including a new 65" model) will be 120Hz and come out later this year. My guess is that, like my trusty Olevia 747i (which saw limited distribution despite some stellar online/magazine reviews), this 60Hz 65" Olevia model was a test run from Olevia so they could work out the kinks of making such a big panel when it came time to do it for real. I mean, why else would a 65" 1080p LCD sell for "only" $4K? For reference I paid $2.9K for my 47" last March (same technology and company, just 18 inches smaller) so the moment I heard the new 65" Olevia was selling for $4K I smelled a discounted model.
post #165 of 1768 Old 01-24-2008, 01:03 PM

I found out how to upgrade the firmware. Place the .bin file on a FAT32 formatted thumb drive, plug it in, and make sure the TV is powered off as before - this time hold channel up AND down and press the power button. You will then see the upgrade sequence in red text on a black screen. Release the buttons and let'er fly. It takes about 5 minutes to complete.

Still waiting on the SVM issue. The level 2 guy I spoke with seemed to rush me through another conversation on this and suggested exchanging the set, once I receive an email from him (to date I have not received any email from any level 2...tsk tsk).
post #166 of 1768 Old 01-24-2008, 01:57 PM

Thanks for posting that. Do you have to start with the set off?
Quote:

I found out how to upgrade the firmware. Place the .bin file on a FAT32 formatted thumb drive as before - this time hold channel up AND down and press the power button. You will then see the upgrade sequence in red text on a black screen. Release the buttons and let'er fly. It takes about 5 minutes to complete.

Still waiting on the SVM issue. The level 2 guy I spoke with seemed to rush me through another conversation on this and suggested exchanging the set, once I receive an email from him (to date I have not received any email from any level 2...tsk tsk).

post #167 of 1768 Old 01-24-2008, 02:29 PM

acousticartist, yes.
post #168 of 1768 Old 01-25-2008, 07:45 AM

did you notice any changes once you upgraded the firmware?

post #169 of 1768 Old 01-25-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipro View Post

did you notice any changes once you upgraded the firmware?

No, but I was only focusing on the edge enhancement issue, not paying attention to much else. SVM is still there and the picture is the same IMO.
post #170 of 1768 Old 01-26-2008, 01:31 PM

The Pioneer 6070 is clearly superior to this set. I spent two hours today in Sam's Club where they have them side-by-side. I know the manager, so he brought out an hd d3 playing Shrek the Third, Transformers on dvd,and the high def feed. We also adjusted both sets' contrast, brightness, color, tint and sharpness, and the 6070 was superior in every way: blacks, clarity, motion, shadow detail, jaggies. The Olevia is slightly larger, and it is a good set no doubt, but it is just not in the same league as the Pioneer (btw, I wanted it to be because I like the size!).
post #171 of 1768 Old 01-27-2008, 11:37 PM

FYI, My 265T needed to have the source (i.e., cable box) turned off in order to start the update. Also, just to clarify for those who might read too much into helkin's instructions (like me...), holding the power button as well as the channel up and down resulted in the power just cycling on and off, so just holding the channel up and down buttons and a normal press of the power button is the key. So far, I haven't noted any changes but I will post here if I do.

Quote:

I found out how to upgrade the firmware. Place the .bin file on a FAT32 formatted thumb drive, plug it in, and make sure the TV is powered off as before - this time hold channel up AND down and press the power button. You will then see the upgrade sequence in red text on a black screen. Release the buttons and let'er fly. It takes about 5 minutes to complete.

post #172 of 1768 Old 01-30-2008, 10:15 AM

Upgraded firmware, everything went fine. I cannot see any difference in the menus.

No doubt a plasma would give better blacks than this LCD. I would go with a 61" 768 $4k set if I had not thrown away the boxes already.

ZBOXHD, Olevia 265, SVS 12" sub, MC50 CSW sats, Pioneer VSX_91
post #173 of 1768 Old 01-30-2008, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Speaker View Post

The Pioneer 6070 is clearly superior to this set. I spent two hours today in Sam's Club where they have them side-by-side. I know the manager, so he brought out an hd d3 playing Shrek the Third, Transformers on dvd,and the high def feed. We also adjusted both sets' contrast, brightness, color, tint and sharpness, and the 6070 was superior in every way: blacks, clarity, motion, shadow detail, jaggies. The Olevia is slightly larger, and it is a good set no doubt, but it is just not in the same league as the Pioneer (btw, I wanted it to be because I like the size!).

Had you brought out a Pioneer PDP-6010FD it would have done likewise to the 6070 at a few K more I believe as would the new Sharp D94SE. Each has it's trade-offs for a price.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #174 of 1768 Old 01-30-2008, 12:20 PM

No doubt the Pioneer is a quality TV... even so when you weigh the trade-offs between the shiny reflective Plasma glass against the matt finish of the 265T, it comes down to your viewing environment. If lighting control permits and your primary interest is in watching movies, plasma is still the way to go for many people. For myself, the reflections are just too hard to ignore. I had to work too hard to ignore the relections of the overhead lights in Sam's club and being able to see myself and the merchandise behind me was too much distraction. To be sure, I keep waqthcing the prices on the Sharp 65" 93U and if it were to drop within a thousand dollars of the Olevia in the next few weeks... well who knows

In any case, this is an amazing picture in both size and quality, especially considering the value for money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Speaker View Post

post #175 of 1768 Old 01-30-2008, 12:57 PM

i agree...i am thrilled with the over all value of the tv.

the less i try to nitpick the more i like it....

post #176 of 1768 Old 01-30-2008, 11:30 PM

how in the hell the pioneer 6070 720P is superior to this TV that has a 1080P and a Silicon Optix Realta Hollywood Quality Video (HQV) video processor specs.
post #177 of 1768 Old 01-31-2008, 07:33 AM

Have any of you that own this tv noticed a loud pop from the speakers when turning it on/off or when changing the volume?
post #178 of 1768 Old 01-31-2008, 09:58 AM

I haven't ever heard the speakers pop on mine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevens54 View Post

Have any of you that own this tv noticed a loud pop from the speakers when turning it on/off or when changing the volume?

post #179 of 1768 Old 01-31-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipersutdio View Post

how in the hell the pioneer 6070 720P is superior to this TV that has a 1080P and a Silicon Optix Realta Hollywood Quality Video (HQV) video processor specs.

Excellent question!
post #180 of 1768 Old 01-31-2008, 06:04 PM

no pops...but im about to retire the tv speakers..waiting on new set

fam played rockband tonight...tv is just a great gaming tv...really impressed with how its so clear and crisp in xbox360 games....

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Olevia , Lcd Hdtv , Sharp , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page