Olevia 65 inch 1080p lcd - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1768 Old 01-31-2008, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
any owner of this beast wall mounted the TV? for those who is planning do you think the wood studs will hold?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1768 Old 01-31-2008, 06:27 PM

That is great to hear... just curious, did you put the TV in game mode? Sounds like you didn't see a noticable lag on what seems like it would be a very demanding game as far as responsiveness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipro View Post

no pops...but im about to retire the tv speakers..waiting on new set

fam played rockband tonight...tv is just a great gaming tv...really impressed with how its so clear and crisp in xbox360 games....

post #183 of 1768 Old 02-01-2008, 02:41 AM

i mounted mine, using a mount from sams club...mounted to wall studs....and it holds fine...the only problem is the tilting feature on the level did not work, but thats ok with us, we wanted the low profile look.

XboxLive Gamertag : FocusHealth
post #184 of 1768 Old 02-01-2008, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticartist View Post

That is great to hear... just curious, did you put the TV in game mode? Sounds like you didn't see a noticable lag on what seems like it would be a very demanding game as far as responsiveness.

Was not aware of game mode....I assume its buried in those god awful menus...

post #185 of 1768 Old 02-01-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:

i mounted mine, using a mount from sams club...mounted to wall studs....and it holds fine...the only problem is the tilting feature on the level did not work, but thats ok with us, we wanted the low profile look.

great i will check out those mounting equipment @ SC
post #186 of 1768 Old 02-01-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:

The reason the tilt doesn't work is because the tv is so darn heavy it bends the rod that is supposed to tilt it! I used a block of wood between the handles and the wall to tilt it at the angle i wanted.
post #187 of 1768 Old 02-01-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevens54; View Post

The reason the tilt doesn't work is because the tv is so darn heavy it bends the rod that is supposed to tilt it! I used a block of wood between the handles and the wall to tilt it at the angle i wanted.

what mount are you guys using I went to SC they have the one that is folding or you guys the regular wall mount. can you guys check and post what model is your wall mount equipment?
post #188 of 1768 Old 02-01-2008, 03:49 PM

dont have the box anymore, but its made by levelmount.com

its the one that maxes out at 65"....it was about 95 bucks

post #189 of 1768 Old 02-02-2008, 06:12 PM

Just got a shock when I happened by my local Sam's today... they dropped the price by 500 bucks! I hope they have some sort of adjustment procedeure because I don't fancy returning it and buying it all over again.
post #190 of 1768 Old 02-02-2008, 06:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 187
^^^ Threaten them that you'll bring the TV back if they don't give you the $500. That should scare 'em!
post #191 of 1768 Old 02-03-2008, 12:59 AM

I intend to, I just hope that they don't call my bluff... PITA to box it up and bring it back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

^^^ Threaten them that you'll bring the TV back if they don't give you the $500. That should scare 'em!

post #192 of 1768 Old 02-03-2008, 10:51 AM
GGG

Quote:

I intend to, I just hope that they don't call my bluff... PITA to box it up and bring it back!

If they don't price adjust just buy another, walk out & come back in and return it with your old receipt...done deal and your factory warranty is now extended by a few weeks.
post #193 of 1768 Old 02-03-2008, 10:57 AM

does sams offer traditional price protection?

post #194 of 1768 Old 02-03-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevens54 View Post

Have any of you that own this tv noticed a loud pop from the speakers when turning it on/off or when changing the volume?

I notice a buzz when I go from 0 on the volume, so I use an external receiver.

ZBOXHD, Olevia 265, SVS 12" sub, MC50 CSW sats, Pioneer VSX_91
post #195 of 1768 Old 02-04-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:

dont have the box anymore, but its made by levelmount.com

its the one that maxes out at 65"....it was about 95 bucks

That is the same mount I used. It says its rated for 200 lbs. But there is no way the tilt is rated for that much weight.
post #196 of 1768 Old 02-04-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:

does sams offer traditional price protection?

7 days, the manager would not budge...im not about to haul the tv off my wall, rebox and haul down there...

so i had my bluff called....they have 45 tv's where people have done the exact same thing...if mine were smaller id do it in a heart beat

post #197 of 1768 Old 02-04-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:

That is the same mount I used. It says its rated for 200 lbs. But there is no way the tilt is rated for that much weight.

got the mount work perfect. thanks
post #198 of 1768 Old 02-06-2008, 07:53 AM

They finally put this tv on their website:

http://www.olevia.com/en-us/Products...HDLCDHDTV.aspx
post #199 of 1768 Old 02-06-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:

Have any of you that own this tv noticed a loud pop from the speakers when turning it on/off or when changing the volume?

I called Olevia tech support about the speaker popping problem. They said it was a defect with the tv and they are shipping us new one! All I had to do was fax them a copy of the Sam's Club receipt. There was no hassle at all.

So far Olevia tech support has been great.
post #200 of 1768 Old 02-06-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:

7 days, the manager would not budge...im not about to haul the tv off my wall, rebox and haul down there...

so i had my bluff called....they have 45 tv's where people have done the exact same thing...if mine were smaller id do it in a heart beat

My wife took the tv receipt to our local SC yesterday and the refunded the difference with no questions asked.
post #201 of 1768 Old 02-06-2008, 08:39 AM
4bs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcope01 View Post

That's the $64K question. If the SO HQV Realta processor is far superior (as I have read and come to believe), why don't more manufacturers use it? So what if it costs a little more? I believe most consumers would be willing to pay for the superior PQ. IMO, even the biggies (Sony, Samsung, Sharp, etc.) should be using this processor.

No one has answered this yet, so I'm taking a shot.

For two reasons,

1. Economies of scale. Sony, Samsung, Sharp, etc don't need it. Through years of clever marketing and brand building, they're already top sellers in this highly competitive and saturated commodity market and including a REAL VP will cut into their 25-45%+ margins. Their TVs don't have to the best of breed to sell well. However, Sony does have a great VP in their XBR5 series, but at a cost of over $3k for the 46" version.

2. Olevia, as a new-ish and unknown brand (to the common house hold) NEEDS to address this niche market of both quality SD & HD PQ, otherwise they may as well give up as Vizio now has dominated the value market once owned by Olevia. It's a good thing Olevia is doing a great job producing quality sets that exceeds the PQ from the top tiers for 10-20% and even sometimes 50% less.
post #202 of 1768 Old 02-06-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bs View Post

No one has answered this yet, so I'm taking a shot.

For two reasons,

1. Economies of scale. Sony, Samsung, Sharp, etc don't need it. Through years of clever marketing and brand building, they're already top sellers in this highly competitive and saturated commodity market and including a REAL VP will cut into their 25-45%+ margins. Their TVs don't have to the best of breed to sell well. However, Sony does have a great VP in their XBR5 series, but at a cost of over $3k for the 46" version.

2. Olevia, as a new-ish and unknown brand (to the common house hold) NEEDS to address this niche market of both quality SD & HD PQ, otherwise they may as well give up as Vizio now has dominated the value market once owned by Olevia. It's a good thing Olevia is doing a great job producing quality sets that exceeds the PQ from the top tiers for 10-20% and even sometimes 50% less.

I have to admit I had never heard of Olevia before. My brother-inlaw happened to mention it to my wife over the Christmas holiday.

We have been watching Blu-Ray movies on our PS3 that is connected to it and they are beautiful. So far I am really impressed with it. I just wish you didn't need two linebackers to move the thing!
post #203 of 1768 Old 02-06-2008, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They finally put this tv on their website:

http://www.olevia.com/en-us/Products...HDLCDHDTV.aspx

Thanks, this is interesting. I believe the 265TFHD is the 60Hz model. Olevia did announce a 120Hz model at CES. I wonder when that new model will be available. Any ideas?

I was chastised before in this thread for mentioning the LCD panel provider's 65" set. But, I have to mention that the Olevia 65" set is about 100 pounds heavier than that other brand. That's a lot more weight in what I can only hope is better build quality. I haven't had any luck seeing the 65" set at my local Costco, now I'm really curious to actually touch one.
post #204 of 1768 Old 02-06-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:

Just got a shock when I happened by my local Sam's today... they dropped the price by 500 bucks! I hope they have some sort of adjustment procedeure because I don't fancy returning it and buying it all over again.

Thx AA, you just put $530 in my pocket! Sams exchanged my $ 4k receipt for a new, lighter, and improved version.

ZBOXHD, Olevia 265, SVS 12" sub, MC50 CSW sats, Pioneer VSX_91
post #205 of 1768 Old 02-06-2008, 04:07 PM

How long from the time you bought until you went back in? I bought mine on 12/31/07 and I went in with the receipt yesterday and they said no deal because it had been more than 30 days... I may just take it back and wait for the price to drop again Truly, I still think it was a good buy at 4k so I may just suck it up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty_2000 View Post

Thx AA, you just put $530 in my pocket! Sams exchanged my $ 4k receipt for a new, lighter, and improved version.

post #206 of 1768 Old 02-06-2008, 04:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty_2000 View Post

I see a Blu-ray player (and an HD-DVD if found cheap) with BD movies in your future!
post #207 of 1768 Old 02-06-2008, 05:58 PM

Bet this set drops another half k within 90 days (if it's still around).

That would make the first digit of the price become a "2" for a 65 LCD.

Not saying it's a bad set - on the contrary I have to restrain myself from spending rent money on it.

65" is just so much nicer than 52 - even at 8-10 ft I think.
post #208 of 1768 Old 02-06-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Speaker View Post

The Pioneer 6070 is clearly superior to this set. I spent two hours today in Sam's Club where they have them side-by-side. I know the manager, so he brought out an hd d3 playing Shrek the Third, Transformers on dvd,and the high def feed. We also adjusted both sets' contrast, brightness, color, tint and sharpness, and the 6070 was superior in every way: blacks, clarity, motion, shadow detail, jaggies. The Olevia is slightly larger, and it is a good set no doubt, but it is just not in the same league as the Pioneer (btw, I wanted it to be because I like the size!).

Glad to hear this because I decided to keep my 6070 (they're installing it Friday using a PLAV70 Peerless articulating mount---man, that sucker was expensive!). Just couldn't quite pull the trigger on the Olevia although the 65" size was the main attraction....One thing I've noted that others have commented on...These sets look a lot bigger once you get them in your living room....
post #209 of 1768 Old 02-07-2008, 12:33 AM

@ActiveSpeaker, sorry but I know your opinion is at least partially incorrect if you say the 6070 is superior in "every way".

Even though opinions are subjective and I haven't compared these side by side, plasma just can't do whites like LCD (think snow scenes).

In other threads people debate that better blacks are more important, or that no one cares about snow scenes, or that pure white is not a realistic color. All that may be true but most people aren't debating that good plasma whites are fundamentally not as white as good lcds.
post #210 of 1768 Old 02-07-2008, 10:16 AM
4bs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Speaker View Post

The Pioneer 6070 is clearly superior to this set. I spent two hours today in Sam's Club where they have them side-by-side. I know the manager, so he brought out an hd d3 playing Shrek the Third, Transformers on dvd,and the high def feed. We also adjusted both sets' contrast, brightness, color, tint and sharpness, and the 6070 was superior in every way: blacks, clarity, motion, shadow detail, jaggies. The Olevia is slightly larger, and it is a good set no doubt, but it is just not in the same league as the Pioneer (btw, I wanted it to be because I like the size!).

You're comparing apples to oranges in every way.
The technologies are different. Plasmas evolved from CRT, a proven and mature technology, much more so then any other flat panel design, so of course it will inherited most of the characteristics, ie. blacks, shadow detail and motion. A LCD by comparison is a fledging technology so it just can't compete in these arenas, but it does have advantages in other areas e.g. brighter images, no image retention, less fragile, sharper for static images/text, etc.
About the rest, I would think that with the Realta on the Olevia would help it achieve a level of detail retained smoothness and noise reduction not possible with the Pioneer.

I also would think, (thanks to the Realta) that faces, etc from SD/DVDs on the Olevia will look natural and realistic verse the pasty mess from most plasmas
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Olevia , Lcd Hdtv , Sharp , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page