Official Sharp Aquos LC-42D64U/46D64U/52D64U Owner's Thread II (No Price Talk) - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 5840 Old 11-19-2007, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In TV mode go to Menu then Digital Setup then Identification.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 5840 Old 11-19-2007, 08:08 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 View Post

Where do I check the firmware version of the TV other than the service menu. The sharp instructions say there should be an identification option but I don't see it.

Change to the TV input setting. Then go to menu, digital setup, identification. Note, the identification option only shows up when you are in the TV input setting, ie. the option will not show up when one of the HDMI inputs is selected.
post #453 of 5840 Old 11-19-2007, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the answer, will edit my earlier post with that tidbit.
post #454 of 5840 Old 11-19-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDrAg0nxX View Post

Is this REALLY called banding?

I thought banding is when 2 shades of the same colour are merged together?
If he is trying to display a single colour grey in this instance, and sees this uneveness, shouldnt it be called "UNEVEN backlighting"???

Actual banding
(center colors are clumped together/there's an uneven step. Serious banding is much worse than this and occurs over far more tones.)

Source: http://lcdresource.com/index.php?opt...d=46&Itemid=36

I agree. The Shape issue here should not call "banding". Confuse me at first.
post #455 of 5840 Old 11-20-2007, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

That flickering line is not a flaw of the panel and it actually is normal and if one technically understands what Dot Mode is doing and displaying natively 1080P 1:1 and the viewer tries to move it you are actually creating your own overscan for when true 1080 broadcasting is being received.

The flickering line only occurs when the HD broadcast channel is not truly feeding HD - usually sending a 480i stream within the HD feed which is why most programs FRAME the 480i, like GMA, Today, ESPN and others. Both my 45"/57" addresses in the owners manual the flicker which means many owners don't actually read the owners manual. If you logically think of what you are doing by altering the true native display of 1080 material by adjusting up or down one should underestand the panel is going to hold onto that reset unless you sit there and manually adjust for every program that feeds fake or less than true HD material.

As the manual suggests - use Smart Stretch if you want or tolerate it but whining about a feature that actually rewards the viewer with the best TRUE 1080 feed natively displayed doesn't make sense and it is not a flaw of the TV - instead it is a flaw of HD broadcasting which is for the most part still evolving as is the content being fed and to prove my point has anyone that owns an HD or BD Player ever seen that flickering line from a single HD disk?

I've never seen it period on any true HD broadcast or Media - Sharp doesn't get the blame for everything guys - including broadcasting that needs to mature the many formats they must fold within - otherwise Sharp would have to build in OVERSCAN which owners would then bitch about and that is how it was done in the past. Choose your artifact - Overscan or true DOT MODE - I'll gladly take Dot Mode.

Got it. Thanks for the effort and advice. Like i said, I'm still learning. I've been on the 62U thread for awhile and that's what alot of people were doing for the problem. I just went to follow suit again with my 64U and couldn't.

I like Smart Stretch, but that ends up screwing up my DTV channel guide for some reason. Oh well, change one thing and another pops up.

I have another question. I read on CNET and other places where they weren't happy with the scaler built into this TV and I thought someone in one of these forums talked about buying an external scaler also. Assuming that there is such a thing, can someone point me in the direction of a good one?
post #456 of 5840 Old 11-20-2007, 04:56 AM

I purchased my LC-42D64U TV 1-year ago and have been completely pleased. I am now adding a PS3 which now has HDMI 1.3 output. I notice on the new LC-42D64U, they list the HDMI input as 1.3 ( not to mention 3 inputs versus the 2 on mine). My specs only list HDMI type A.
1) If I buy a HDMI 1.3 cable, will I get the value, or does the receiving TV have to be as well?
2) Has anyone heard of a firmware update for these TVs?

thanks
post #457 of 5840 Old 11-20-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moporpail View Post

I purchased my LC-42D64U TV 1-year ago and have been completely pleased. I am now adding a PS3 which now has HDMI 1.3 output. I notice on the new LC-42D64U, they list the HDMI input as 1.3 ( not to mention 3 inputs versus the 2 on mine). My specs only list HDMI type A.
1) If I buy a HDMI 1.3 cable, will I get the value, or does the receiving TV have to be as well?

thanks

You might want to check the model number again. I believe the D64 units were just released in the past few months.

Firmware update is on the Sharp site.
post #458 of 5840 Old 11-20-2007, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moporpail View Post

thanks

If you bought it a year ago you probably either have the D43 or the D62, neither have HDMI 1.3.

1) don't waste your money on a "1.3 HDMI cable" for your application.

2) check Sharp's website
post #459 of 5840 Old 11-20-2007, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Curses! Monoprice is sold out of the 175# steel and aluminum mount! Any other good options for a similar mount in features, quality, and price?

ps. will the 125# version work ok with the 46"?:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #460 of 5840 Old 11-20-2007, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just got off the phone with Sharp and they are sending me a 2nd replacement unit, due to some heavy banding. I must say their customer service is actually excellent, too bad their TVs are not on par with their service. I guess I am not 100% satisfied, but I am satisfied with their service level and fast response.
post #461 of 5840 Old 11-20-2007, 09:26 AM

Any idea with the pictures that I post here. These are taken from SD TV. The red seems not right for me, especially red on black. The other colors are ok. I don't have such issue on HD.

Any idea? Is it normal on 480i TV? or my adjustment on color is not right?
LL
LL
post #462 of 5840 Old 11-20-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kaz View Post

Got it. Thanks for the effort and advice. Like i said, I'm still learning. I've been on the 62U thread for awhile and that's what alot of people were doing for the problem. I just went to follow suit again with my 64U and couldn't.

I like Smart Stretch, but that ends up screwing up my DTV channel guide for some reason. Oh well, change one thing and another pops up.

I have another question. I read on CNET and other places where they weren't happy with the scaler built into this TV and I thought someone in one of these forums talked about buying an external scaler also. Assuming that there is such a thing, can someone point me in the direction of a good one?

I find using stretch as opposed to smart stretch (for 720p and 1080i broadcasts) to works better. Smart stretch zooms in too much. Stretch just seems to enlarge the image enough to get rid of the signal noise lines on the side and top of the screens seen in dot by dot mode.
post #463 of 5840 Old 11-20-2007, 09:44 AM

I updated the new firmware last night. I don't see anything different. It does not solve the lost signal on my HTPC (ATI card) either.
post #464 of 5840 Old 11-20-2007, 10:05 AM

Thanks, Mark. Repost from closed thread:

Just got my 46" D64U and love it so far. Have noticed no banding but I haven't given it any gray screen test or anything like that.

I have it hooked to a Motorola HD cable box and notice that on pans that the video goes a little blocky sometimes momentarily. This looks to me like encoding artifacts - am I correct in assuming the digital cable codec doesn't have the bandwidth to properly support a fast pan in HD? Or is this a characteristic of the Sharp or LCD TVs in general?
post #465 of 5840 Old 11-20-2007, 10:11 AM

I used my other drive (Sandisk) last night and had no trouble upgrading the firmware. Very strange as both were formated with FAT 16 and only had the new firmware on the thumbdrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler_81 View Post

I also reformatted the drive under XP (FAT, not FAT32) and TV still will not see the file. I have another drive at work which I will grab Monday and try it again.

post #466 of 5840 Old 11-20-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

That flickering line is not a flaw of the panel and it actually is normal and if one technically understands what Dot Mode is doing and displaying natively 1080P 1:1 and the viewer tries to move it you are actually creating your own overscan for when true 1080 broadcasting is being received.

The flickering line only occurs when the HD broadcast channel is not truly feeding HD - usually sending a 480i stream within the HD feed which is why most programs FRAME the 480i, like GMA, Today, ESPN and others. Both my 45"/57" addresses in the owners manual the flicker which means many owners don't actually read the owners manual. If you logically think of what you are doing by altering the true native display of 1080 material by adjusting up or down one should underestand the panel is going to hold onto that reset unless you sit there and manually adjust for every program that feeds fake or less than true HD material.

As the manual suggests - use Smart Stretch if you want or tolerate it but whining about a feature that actually rewards the viewer with the best TRUE 1080 feed natively displayed doesn't make sense and it is not a flaw of the TV - instead it is a flaw of HD broadcasting which is for the most part still evolving as is the content being fed and to prove my point has anyone that owns an HD or BD Player ever seen that flickering line from a single HD disk?

I've never seen it period on any true HD broadcast or Media - Sharp doesn't get the blame for everything guys - including broadcasting that needs to mature the many formats they must fold within - otherwise Sharp would have to build in OVERSCAN which owners would then bitch about and that is how it was done in the past. Choose your artifact - Overscan or true DOT MODE - I'll gladly take Dot Mode.

Hi,

One question about this issue,

On my 42" 64U, on some channels, mostly cablevision VOOM, about 1/2" of either the top or bottom is off center. I don't see this on the networks or Discovery HD or NGHD, etc. The voom channels are all widescreen 100% of the time, although some of the material looks like a cheaper made HD broacast compared to others.

Any ideas why this off-centering is happening??
post #467 of 5840 Old 11-20-2007, 11:02 AM

I haven't read through the whole thread but I have searched and paged through most of it. I just got a LC-46D64U and love the TV, but there is a small quirk which I am not sure is normal. I set it up to tune Digital Cable to find unencrypted QAM channels provided by Time Warner, and it found like 200 or so channels which are mostly the encrypted digital cable channels, and I found some normal broadcast channels that are unencrypted.

This works as expected, but when I tune to an encrypted channel it seems like it kills the OSD on the TV. By that, I mean that there is no channel number after about half a second, and the menu button or any other doesn't work to get anything on the screen. The screen will be 100% blank until I dial in a channel manually, and it will jump to it and if it's unencrypted or analog the TV will be back to normal. If its encrypted, the OSD stays for about half a second and goes away. Is this supposed to happen? I have not tried the firmware update yet, I just had a little time to play with the TV and I will give it an additional effort after work today.

Note: Repost from first thread.
post #468 of 5840 Old 11-20-2007, 12:36 PM

ok i have not much time to decide so forgive as i know that at the begining of the thread itsays no prices but a store i shop will have the LC46D64U for 1299 out the door as i pay no tax, i have a 42 Sony Bravia XBR for a few years thinking of replacing that with this,
is 1299 a good deal?????
post #469 of 5840 Old 11-20-2007, 02:37 PM

Can someone please post the dimensions of the LC46D64U BOX

Length
Height
Depth

In inches please.

I'm planning on going to the US for black friday and I need to know if it will fit in my car.

Thanks!

Oh and to the guy above me. YES!!!!
post #470 of 5840 Old 11-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naossoan View Post

Can someone please post the dimensions of the LC46D64U BOX

Length
Height
Depth

In inches please.

I'm planning on going to the US for black friday and I need to know if it will fit in my car.

Thanks!

Oh and to the guy above me. YES!!!! Are you freaking kidding me? This TV costs $2299 in Canada regular price, maybe $1999 on sale. That's $1200 SAVINGS! Even with the added cost me taking the ferry paying customs etc I'm still saving $600 of course it's a good deal.

I did a QUICK SEARCH and turned up the following info:

Length: 48"
Height: 32"
Width: 11"

From the same QUICK SEARCH I've also included a picture of an LC-46D64U in the back of a Nissan Pathfinder to give you some size perspective (large SUV) as far as will it fit in a car.

Side note: Don't get me wrong, I love helping people but it is actually quicker doing a search than it is typing the question.
post #471 of 5840 Old 11-20-2007, 05:59 PM

Thanks Ohiolefty and kclfoxtrot, you are right I have the LC-42D62U set. Just upgrading in my mind.
I will check the site for firmware updates.
post #472 of 5840 Old 11-20-2007, 06:07 PM

Thanks ohiolefty and sorry about not doing a search it didn't really cross my mind..I always forget about forum search features plus I was leaving for work in 2 seconds.

Thank you for posting it for me. I'm happy to say it will fit in my car because the test box I have in my car right now is

51" x 24" by 7.5"
It's a tight squeeze but it fits.

It's not a problem to lay the TV on it's side is it? That's the only way it will fit.
post #473 of 5840 Old 11-20-2007, 06:33 PM

As some of you probably know, this set (LC-46D64U) is on sale Friday and I'm looking to pick one up. I've had some issues with my Sony XBR1 so I'd really rather avoid the headache of having techs out etc., but the deals seems really good.

Bottom line is, would you recommend this TV for a good price? I was only looking for a 37" or 42" for the bedroom but I saw this and it caught my attention.
post #474 of 5840 Old 11-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naossoan View Post

Thanks ohiolefty and sorry about not doing a search it didn't really cross my mind..I always forget about forum search features plus I was leaving for work in 2 seconds.

Thank you for posting it for me. I'm happy to say it will fit in my car because the test box I have in my car right now is

51" x 24" by 7.5"
It's a tight squeeze but it fits.

It's not a problem to lay the TV on it's side is it? That's the only way it will fit.

I wouldn't lay it down if I had a choice. But if that's the only way to get it home, be careful.
post #475 of 5840 Old 11-20-2007, 07:48 PM

I just set up my 42d64u for dolby surround sound, and attached it to my tuner. Everything works great, but when I try to turn the tv sound off, the other sound goes off as well. Does anyone know if it is possible to turn the tv sound off, and still have the other sound work: Thanks
post #476 of 5840 Old 11-20-2007, 09:42 PM

I upgraded to the latest firmware downloaded from Sharp. The upgrade went fine. Did a factory reset. I noticed afterward the picture tends to have a red push. Also when turning fine motion on, the black seem to be crushed and picture is a bit more grainy. Anyone else have this problem?

the previous firware 0708xxx had much better color. How can I go back to the previous firmware version?
post #477 of 5840 Old 11-21-2007, 07:17 AM

I have the 52 inch which I got on the FF deal. I have no banding issues and I love this TV. I believe most of the sets will not have the issue. As with anything, those who have issues are the ones who make the most noise while those who have no issues are sitting back watching their HDTV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandsharp View Post

I'm just curious?......Have you not done any searching on these LCD?
Do yourself a favor and please do so. saving $600.00 may sound good now but wait till you have to keep replacing these set's with all there problems. Especialy buy in the US and living in Canada

If your lucky! you may get one without "Banding" but I don't beleive that exist on these sets after reading all the threads here and that's why they are really pushing them out of retailers and online for what people think are great deals.

post #478 of 5840 Old 11-21-2007, 07:54 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricphu View Post

I upgraded to the latest firmware downloaded from Sharp. The upgrade went fine. Did a factory reset. I noticed afterward the picture tends to have a red push. Also when turning fine motion on, the black seem to be crushed and picture is a bit more grainy. Anyone else have this problem?

the previous firware 0708xxx had much better color. How can I go back to the previous firmware version?

Are you using one of the suggested calibration settings from the forum members here? If so which ones? I did the upgrade and reset and everything seemed fine. But last evening while watching some network television, I also noticed a red push on scenes enclosed in buildings and such, while outdoor scenes were fine. Not sure if it had to do with the firmware update, cable signal, or the fact that I swapped out HDMI cables yesterday.

I've been using the settings suggested by HansB, but may have to try some of the others that didn't work as well for me before. I know some suggested that the HansB settings gave them too much of a red push. Maybe I'll have to actually break down and get an AVIA calibration dvd to do my own calibration.
post #479 of 5840 Old 11-21-2007, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrn23 View Post

Are you using one of the suggested calibration settings from the forum members here? If so which ones? I did the upgrade and reset and everything seemed fine. But last evening while watching some network television, I also noticed a red push on scenes enclosed in buildings and such, while outdoor scenes were fine. Not sure if it had to do with the firmware update, cable signal, or the fact that I swapped out HDMI cables yesterday.

I've been using the settings suggested by HansB, but may have to try some of the others that didn't work as well for me before. I know some suggested that the HansB settings gave them too much of a red push. Maybe I'll have to actually break down and get an AVIA calibration dvd to do my own calibration.

jrn - try these calibrations. These were posted by baloo75 and have received very positive feedback from all that have used them. I applied these right out of the box to my new Sharp (User mode) and found them to be perfect settings to my eye.

Good luck

baloo75---Thought I would throw out my settings for my 46" D64U. I have noticed that many of you that have been posting screenshots have very red fleshtones. I spent about 60 minutes with Avia and have what I believe to be pretty good color. Interested to hear if anyone tries these settings if they think so also. I don't have anyway to measure the neutral axis so anyone that has a device to do this pleast post your settings.

AV Setting in User Mode

Color Temp = middle
BackLight = +9
Contrast = +36 (I like a bright picture)
Brightness = -12
Color = -1
Tint = +11
Sharpness = 0

Advanced:

CMS Hue:
R = +5
Y = -5
G = -1
C = 0
B = 0
M = -10

CMS Saturation:
R = +6
Y = 0
G = +15
C = 0
B = +3
M = +15

&&&---
OPC: On (personal preference)
Color Temp: Middle
Active Contrast : Off
Fine Motion: Off
I/P Setting: Fast (Not Available on PC Input)
Film Mode: Off (Not Available on PC input)
Monochrome: Off
Range of OPC: Max: +16, Min: -4
Digital Noise Reduction: Low (Not Available on PC Input)

Denon AVR X1000

Klipsch RF-62 II 

Klipsch RC-62 II

Klipsch RB-61 II

SVS PB-2000

SVS PB-1000

LG 47LE5400

Samsung Blue-ray BD-P3600

Logitech Harmony Smart Control

Panamax M5100-PM

post #480 of 5840 Old 11-21-2007, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the calibration notes! I was having a tough time with dark scenes on regular DVD video. These calibration numbers do quite a bit to help out.

Do you have any calibration advice specifically for very dark movies? I know black levels aren't the best here, but what I've had (before this calibration) was nearly unwatchable.

My spoon is too big!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc42d64u 42 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Shrlc52d64u Lcd Hdtv 52 1920x1080 Resolution Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page