Official Sharp Aquos LC-42D64U/46D64U/52D64U Owner's Thread II (No Price Talk) - Page 195 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5821 of 5839 Old 10-05-2013, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, sorry, I know this is an old TV, but I had a question if anyone knows the answer.

I am currently using an older receiver which does not have hdmi pass through. What I am trying to do is get my PS3, roku3, cable tv, to pass through the tv to the receiver without having to constantly plug, and unplug devices directly to/from the receiver. Is this possible using the spdif output on the tv, if I plug it directly from the tv to the receiver? So what ever the active HDMI device is on the tv would have it's sound directed to the receiver?

Just trying to figure out if this will work before I start shopping for a new receiver smile.gif

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5822 of 5839 Old 10-05-2013, 07:55 PM
BWX

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfick View Post

Hello all, sorry, I know this is an old TV, but I had a question if anyone knows the answer.

I am currently using an older receiver which does not have hdmi pass through. What I am trying to do is get my PS3, roku3, cable tv, to pass through the tv to the receiver without having to constantly plug, and unplug devices directly to/from the receiver. Is this possible using the spdif output on the tv, if I plug it directly from the tv to the receiver? So what ever the active HDMI device is on the tv would have it's sound directed to the receiver?

Just trying to figure out if this will work before I start shopping for a new receiver smile.gif

Thanks
Hook it up and see what happens.

Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav. v7.0.9.2
SA 8300HD (no C) *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-
-8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area! :-/ :-(
post #5823 of 5839 Old 10-05-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX View Post

Hook it up and see what happens.
The only spdif cable I have won't reach the tv without moving the receiver, which would be a pain. I was just hoping someone might know first. but I'll try it if not. Or I'll just go ahead and buy a longer cable and try it.

---
post #5824 of 5839 Old 10-06-2013, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

The only spdif cable I have won't reach the tv without moving the receiver, which would be a pain. I was just hoping someone might know first. but I'll try it if not. Or I'll just go ahead and buy a longer cable and try it.

---
If you decide to buy a cable try monoprice.com they have good cables at very low prices.
post #5825 of 5839 Old 10-06-2013, 06:03 PM
BWX

Yeah what you should really do is get a new receiver with 4 or 5 HDMI inputs and 1 output, then hook everything up to receiver, then one output to TV.

I am in a similar situation. I have a PC, PS3, and DVR hooked up to my system via HDMI, but I only have 2 HDMI inputs on my Yamaha receiver so I have to hook my PC directly to TV via HDMI, DVR and PS3 to receiver via HDMI, and use optical cable to aux form PC to receiver for audio. makes it a little bit of a pain to switch to the PC, but it works. I really need to upgrade to a receiver with more HDMI inputs.

Or I guess I could just buy a separate HDMI switcher..

edit- like maybe one of these- but a good quality one that won;t just break in a few months.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002

post #5826 of 5839 Old 10-07-2013, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks

I've done this with a Logitech Z-5500 connected to the SPDIF output of the TV. However, this arrangement does not pass anything but stereo through the SPDIF output. Only the TV tuner output is passed to the SPDIF output as surround sound.
post #5827 of 5839 Old 10-07-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by observing View Post

I've done this with a Logitech Z-5500 connected to the SPDIF output of the TV. However, this arrangement does not pass anything but stereo through the SPDIF output. Only the TV tuner output is passed to the SPDIF output as surround sound.

That's correct. Much better to connect all the source devices audio via optical direct to the receiver, and video via HDMI to the TV. You'll have to switch both the TV and the receiver separately (unless you have a programmable universal remote), but at least you'll get surround sound.

Remember that HDMI "sees" the audio capability of the input device. Plugged into a stereo TV, HDMI from a player or STB will send stereo. So even if the TV could pass multichannel audio to its optical output, there wouldn't be any (except from the TV's own tuner).

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #5828 of 5839 Old 10-10-2013, 12:29 AM

Just to give an update. I picked up a cheap spdif cable and tried running it to my receiver. Unfortunately the only audio I can get to 'passthrough' is from the cable box. When I try the ps3 or roku3 I get no sound at all, not even stereo sound. What's strange is the receiver seems to be getting a signal as the led display blinks when it receives a signal.

My tv is from 2007 and I've never updated it's software. I'm wondering if that might help?

Thanks again for the help so far.
post #5829 of 5839 Old 10-10-2013, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Just to give an update. I picked up a cheap spdif cable and tried running it to my receiver. Unfortunately the only audio I can get to 'passthrough' is from the cable box. When I try the ps3 or roku3 I get no sound at all, not even stereo sound. What's strange is the receiver seems to be getting a signal as the led display blinks when it receives a signal.

My tv is from 2007 and I've never updated it's software. I'm wondering if that might help?

Updating the firmware might help, although I don't remember what effect it had on my LC46D64U. As you continue troubleshooting this problem, keep in mind that you were correct to put passthrough in quotes. The TV has to know what format the audio is in, so it can convert it to stereo before sending it out on SPDIF. If the Roku and PS3 aren't sending the TV a format it understands (e.g. Dolby 5.1 at a specific bit rate), the receiver may be getting garbage. If I recall correctly, the TV will usually tell you if the signal is a total mystery to it, but not when it incorrectly guesses the format.
post #5830 of 5839 Old 10-10-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:

I also have had my 46" from 2007. From everything I recall, there is no switching of the HDMI input audio out to the optical connection. The only thing output there is the TV sound.

I originally had an old Sony receiver that had a couple of optical inputs but no HDMI. I connected my TiVo and Blu-ray player to the Sony through its optical inputs. I also ran an optical cable from the TV to the receiver. I was lucky that it had 3 optical inputs. I then used a $10 HDMI switch to connect theHDMI video from the TiVo and Blu-ray to the TV. Even this cheap switch would automatically sense the "highest" priority input when power was applied to it and send that video source out to the TV. I had only to turn on the component and switch the receiver to the proper input (TiVo or Blu-ray) to get the sound to the TV as well.

It's a lot easier just having a receiver that supports HDMI but since this TV is too old to support ARC, you still have to run optical audio from the TV to the receiver.
post #5831 of 5839 Old 04-21-2014, 05:31 PM

Liked: 11

Hey everyone,

I've got a strange issue after a firmware update to my Sharp Aquos LC-46D64U TV.  Everything before the update worked fine.  The reason I attempted to fix what wasn't broken was that I read the latest (2008) update on firmware took care of some of the weak signal issues this TV is known for.

After the update, my component VCR and component DirectTV cable box work fine.  The TV gets video and audio from them.  No issues there.  The problem is with my digital devices.

The TV will not get video from my JVC DVD player with Composite hookups.  I can hear audio, but Video isn't recognized by the TV.  If I select View Mode on the remote, the TV will say that function is not available.  So, Dot-by-Dot, S.Stretch, etc. aren't present which means that the TV no longer recognized the signals from the DVD player.

My new Sony Blu-Ray player on an HDMI input has the exact same problem.  The TV won't recognize the video signal.

------------------------------

ATTEMPTS TO FIX

Called Sharp and had a very good tech walk me through doing the Init Factory reset (Input Vol. Dwn. Ch. & Vol. Down).  No fix doing that even though I tried variations of having nothing plugged in input-wise during reset, etc.  

Tried doing the Software Update again and since it's already on there, the TV just says it's already installed.

----------------------------

I don't know if these TV's support reverts back to old firmware, but I'm thinking short of replacing the board, that would be an option.  The problem is that I can't find any old files online of older pre-2008 firmware versions for this TV.  Also, the TV may not recognize the older version and keep the new one as the default.

Any tip on how to revert the firmware to the factory original firmware?  Any other suggestions for getting the DVD and Blu-Ray video signals to be recognized by the TV?

My only option at this point is taking it to a service tech for the initial investigation and probably (I'm guessing) a board replacement.

Won the TV in a Sharp-sponsored contest, so no receipt that I can claim I purchased it.  Either way, I'll fight Sharp on the fix charges.  Suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

- Kevin

post #5832 of 5839 Old 04-30-2014, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinDGA View Post

Hey everyone,

I've got a strange issue after a firmware update to my Sharp Aquos LC-46D64U TV.  Everything before the update worked fine.  The reason I attempted to fix what wasn't broken was that I read the latest (2008) update on firmware took care of some of the weak signal issues this TV is known for.

After the update, my component VCR and component DirectTV cable box work fine.  The TV gets video and audio from them.  No issues there.  The problem is with my digital devices.

The TV will not get video from my JVC DVD player with Composite hookups.  I can hear audio, but Video isn't recognized by the TV.  If I select View Mode on the remote, the TV will say that function is not available.  So, Dot-by-Dot, S.Stretch, etc. aren't present which means that the TV no longer recognized the signals from the DVD player.

My new Sony Blu-Ray player on an HDMI input has the exact same problem.  The TV won't recognize the video signal.

ATTEMPTS TO FIX

Called Sharp and had a very good tech walk me through doing the Init Factory reset (Input Vol. Dwn. Ch. & Vol. Down).  No fix doing that even though I tried variations of having nothing plugged in input-wise during reset, etc.  

Tried doing the Software Update again and since it's already on there, the TV just says it's already installed.

I don't know if these TV's support reverts back to old firmware, but I'm thinking short of replacing the board, that would be an option.  The problem is that I can't find any old files online of older pre-2008 firmware versions for this TV.  Also, the TV may not recognize the older version and keep the new one as the default.

Any tip on how to revert the firmware to the factory original firmware?  Any other suggestions for getting the DVD and Blu-Ray video signals to be recognized by the TV?

My only option at this point is taking it to a service tech for the initial investigation and probably (I'm guessing) a board replacement.

Won the TV in a Sharp-sponsored contest, so no receipt that I can claim I purchased it.  Either way, I'll fight Sharp on the fix charges.  Suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

- Kevin

Kevin,

Given the age of these sets and their know issues you might be better off just 'cutting the cord' so to speak and put the money towards a new set rather than attempting to fix your current set. I know that this is not the answer you were looking for, but sometimes it is just best to 'call it a day' and move on.
post #5833 of 5839 Old 04-30-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy813 View Post

Kevin,

Given the age of these sets and their know issues you might be better off just 'cutting the cord' so to speak and put the money towards a new set rather than attempting to fix your current set. I know that this is not the answer you were looking for, but sometimes it is just best to 'call it a day' and move on.

When I think about what I could buy today with the money I spent on my 42d64u... !

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #5834 of 5839 Old 04-30-2014, 12:43 PM
BWX

Bought my 52D62U Early 2007 and it has basically been "on" ever since!  Still using it.  Paid a lot back then, but I'm getting a lot out of it.

post #5835 of 5839 Old 05-04-2014, 03:05 PM

Hello everyone. I have a Aquos LC42d64u which I bought in 2007 or 2008. Recently, it has started to turn off and on automatically while watching tv through the antenna. It doesn't happen when I am using any of the other inputs, such as when I am playing on my PS3 through HDMI. Only while watching broadcast tv connected to an indoor antenna. It happens maybe once every 2 or 3 days. Any ideas on what might be causing it?

On an (perhaps) unrelated note, I have tried to update the firmware with no luck. I downloaded it from the sharp website, extracted the zip file, and copied it to a USB stick. I connect the USB drive to the tv, open up the update menu, click ok. It checks the drive and asks me if I want to install the update. I click yes. The tv turns off and restarts without installing the update.

post #5836 of 5839 Old 05-04-2014, 03:08 PM
BWX

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcingak View Post

Hello everyone. I have a Aquos LC42d64u which I bought in 2007 or 2008. Recently, it has started to turn off and on automatically while watching tv through the antenna. It doesn't happen when I am using any of the other inputs, such as when I am playing on my PS3 through HDMI. Only while watching broadcast tv connected to an indoor antenna. It happens maybe once every 2 or 3 days. Any ideas on what might be causing it?

On an (perhaps) unrelated note, I have tried to update the firmware with no luck. I downloaded it from the sharp website, extracted the zip file, and copied it to a USB stick. I connect the USB drive to the tv, open up the update menu, click ok. It checks the drive and asks me if I want to install the update. I click yes. The tv turns off and restarts without installing the update.

Under "power control", turn both "no signal off" and "no operation off" to disable.

post #5837 of 5839 Old 05-04-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX View Post

Under "power control", turn both "no signal off" and "no operation off" to disable.

Thanks for the reply but I checked the settings and they were already disabled.

post #5838 of 5839 Old 05-07-2014, 08:21 PM

Hey guys, I know it's an old set but I hooked my Xbox one to it. In configuring the Xbox I've learned that the picture of the Xbox is much greater than the tv. I got the tv as a hand me down from my brother in law, and no remote. I can't find it in menu structure: is there a way to adjust aspect ratio or picture size? Thank you for assistance. I googled and googled and couldn't find it
post #5839 of 5839 Old 05-12-2014, 01:31 AM

Liked: 11

Well, it's been an uphill journey with my TV getting fixed, but we're almost there as of this writing.

After dealing with Sharp Customer Service, I took it to a qualified repair shop for them to tell me what I already knew was wrong with it.  They reported their findings to Sharp and Sharp responded (an anonymous response from a Customer Service rep who had not read the case notes, obviously) that the TV was out of warranty - done deal.  Sharp wouldn't pay to fix it.

Since the problem stemmed from their Firmware update entirely, I wasn't happy with that generic response. LONG story short and after 8 phone calls back and forth with Customer Service over the period of a full week, I got the 'final' answer that Sharp would pay for the new main board, but not for labor.  Well, that would mean I'd still be paying over $150 bucks to get the TV fixed.  Still a lousy response considering I did nothing to intentionally ruin the TV.

Still not content with their answer, I wrote the President of Sharp USA, explained the entire case in full detail and got a response very quickly from Customer Service.  Sharp will now pay for everything to get the TV fixed.

I'm posting this because Sharp eventually did come around when all the facts from the Customer Service case were taken into consideration.  This is a good indicator of Sharp being a good company that stands behind their products despite an absolutely awful Customer Service experience to start with (as far as I know, they are working on making sure this doesn't happen for others).

The squeaky wheel gets the grease and now I'm getting my TV fixed.  I'm very happy with Sharp's true final answer.   

kerstuff likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc42d64u 42 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Shrlc52d64u Lcd Hdtv 52 1920x1080 Resolution Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page