Official Sharp Aquos LC-42D64U/46D64U/52D64U Owner's Thread II (No Price Talk) - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 5840 Old 11-26-2007, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 52" seems to have the "banding" as well, and I notice it (even when I'm not looking for it) during any vertical panning. There is also a little darker horizontal stripe a few inches down from the top that I notice here and there even in non-panning scenes. I'm not sure if I will try for a replacement or not. I wouldn't want to get a set that was worse. I'm trying to see how much I really notice it when it is not on my mind, but the problem is once you've seen them, you pick them out every time they show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 5840 Old 11-26-2007, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I need some help hooking a PC with a VGA port up to the 46D64U. It just doesn't look good at the resolutions accepted through its VGA port.

We want to be able to hook a year old Dell PC w/ no DVI ports, as well as a laptop to the monitor and get 1920 x 1080. The Dell PC doesn't even have an AGP or PCI-express slot. Just 2 PCI slots. So I don't even think I could add a graphics card if I wanted. Obviously the set doesn't allow you by default to make it 1920 x 1080.

First of all, is there a feasible cable/adapter to convert my PC/laptop's VGA to the TV's Component or HDMI jacks so that I can get 1920 x 1080? Or is there a way to get it to display this res over the VGA jack? Obviously it's capable of it since the 360 can do it. Suggestions?
post #723 of 5840 Old 11-26-2007, 07:01 PM

Has anyone tried mounting the TV in a corner? I wanted to mount it in the corner of my room where two TV's meet...I saw some wall mounts that allow you to move the TV left and right. Has anyone done something like this?
post #724 of 5840 Old 11-26-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderk15 View Post

Just bought a sharp 46d64u on BF, so far I am very impressed. I do have one problem however, I tried hooking up my 360 through the VGA(PC) port on the side and when I turn on my 360 I get sound however my screen stays black and says the tv does not accept this signal. Has anyone else had success hooking up their 360 through VGA, it is the only way I can get 1080p since I don't have an HDMI enabled Xbox. Thanks for your help.

My son just hooked up his Xbox 360 through the component input, and it works great. Displays in 1080P with no issues. Not sure why you are trying to hook it up through the VGA PC port, use the component inputs and you'll be fine.
post #725 of 5840 Old 11-26-2007, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansgi View Post

My son just hooked up his Xbox 360 through the component input, and it works great. Displays in 1080P with no issues. Not sure why you are trying to hook it up through the VGA PC port, use the component inputs and you'll be fine.

VGA is superior to component mainly because you can view HD-DVD's and upconvert DVD's to 1080p. Through component you cannot do this. Plus, some think VGA provides somewhat of a better picture.
post #726 of 5840 Old 11-26-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeetster View Post

Has anyone tried mounting the TV in a corner? I wanted to mount it in the corner of my room where two TV's meet...I saw some wall mounts that allow you to move the TV left and right. Has anyone done something like this?

I'm looking at a swiveling mount here http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

Could this do the job? I don't know if the TV can extend LONG enough so that it'll be in the corner when it's mounted. Just looking if anyone's used a similar mount or another idea
post #727 of 5840 Old 11-26-2007, 08:10 PM
BWX

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTV3 View Post

Personally, I find it FAR more annoying to see compression artifacts, but you can even get used to that.

I can't get used to it... I freaking hate all the compression artifacts I see on regular HDTV broadcasts. Even when you see a really good broadcast, with very minimal compression, it still can be bad at times (lots of motion, lightning, strobe lights being shown). I hope the cable companies/ TV stations, etc hurry up and expand bandwidth and or standards so the compression artifacts aren't so obvious.

Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav.7.1.2.1
SA 8300HD (no C) *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-
-8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area! :-/ :-(
post #728 of 5840 Old 11-26-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sseadoubleyou View Post

Question about the 42" D64U box...

When you bought your TV, did the box have those really hard plastic bands around the box or was the box closed with plain clear tape? The reason why I'm asking is because I saw them on eBay with the yellow plastic bands around the box and mine didn't have that (from Best Buy). It is only closed with clear, plain tape. I want to make sure mine is actually new and that there isn't something 'sketchy' going on at Best Buy.

Thanks.

Both Mine and my nephews 46" were purchased at HH Gregg. They had the black shipping bands on them. I was allowed to choose the serial number etc.. and I did see one boxed up without bands on it. To me it really looked as though it was returned and boxed up again...suspicious so I left it! However if you try it and like the picture, with no bands or problems then I wouldnt worry about it. They could have opened the box to show it to someone or check it out, and the customer backed out or something. The ones we got, both have fantastic pics without banding. Very pleased! I upgraded from a D62 and must say I like the pic much better on the D64. Seriously, It is much brighter, clearer and the D62 commercials always seemed to get very loud at intermission..which was very annoying. I dont have that problem on the D64. The volume levels stays the same now for commercials. I also like the D64 controls on the side vs D62 on top of the TV as you had to "feel your way" to turn it off. All the Sears, Best Buy and CC stores are completely sold out with backorders after all the competition and price matching that went on for the Black Friday sale.
post #729 of 5840 Old 11-26-2007, 09:06 PM
BWX

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray2710 View Post

Seriously, It is much brighter, clearer and the D62 commercials always seemed to get very loud at intermission..which was very annoying. I dont have that problem on the D64. The volume levels stays the same now for commercials.

That's the weirdest thing I have heard in a while.. one TV has quieter commercials? I hate loud commercials too, but without night mode or "Dolby volume", I didn't think a TV could tell the difference. I use a receiver anyway.

Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav.7.1.2.1
SA 8300HD (no C) *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-
-8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area! :-/ :-(
post #730 of 5840 Old 11-26-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfstone View Post

picking up my 46D64 today and am in the process of ordering Direct Tv since my cable service does not offer any HD programing in my area ( charter ). can anyone tell me if the standard reciever from Direct Tv which says HD capable is indeed capable of HD reception if I also order a HD reciever or DVR.

its not

Extended warranty for the LCxxx64U series ?
post #731 of 5840 Old 11-26-2007, 10:55 PM

Got my LC-46D64U on BF too. no dead pixels but as for banding, I think i have them. when the picture pans, it looks like there's a few slight vertical areas of shadows/smudges on the actual glass (its the best way to describe what it looks like). no there aren't any actual smudges on the screen but it appears that way due to uneven backlighting or banding? don't know if they are the same type of problem.

does football appear a bit too grainy/pixelated to anyone else? i mean specifically the grass/stadium. I was watching OTA HD channels, ie. NBC sunday night football & the game on Fox, the grass & stadium appeared really grainy/pixelated. like the picture had too much noise. which was a bit off putting since 1080i on NBC looks absolutely stunningly sharp. 720p on FOX a bit less sharp. just wondering if this is normal. 720p, i can understand since this is an lcd with a native resolution of 1920x1080, not 1360x720. but the grass...

2 more question, did anyone get Circuit City extended warranty plan, if so, is it worth it or should i go with someone else? any recommendations for around the shaumburg, il area.
post #732 of 5840 Old 11-26-2007, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealdash View Post

My 52" seems to have the "banding" as well, and I notice it (even when I'm not looking for it) during any vertical panning. There is also a little darker horizontal stripe a few inches down from the top that I notice here and there even in non-panning scenes. I'm not sure if I will try for a replacement or not. I wouldn't want to get a set that was worse. I'm trying to see how much I really notice it when it is not on my mind, but the problem is once you've seen them, you pick them out every time they show.

Well, that sounds like the exact same image issues I saw on my 52" including that stripe from the top (one on the bottom as well but not as dark). More consistent vertical striping as well. I noticed issues on panning up&down or sideways on any content that was more solid. It is the same issue that everyone who has posted grey screen shots has though it obviously doesn't bother everyone.

For me, I don't want to see any issue like this on something I paid thousands for. I called this morning and told Sharp to give me an RMA as I am done with them. Just exhausted. Did the F&F deal almost 3 months ago now and after giving me other peoples tracking numbers, having my first set arrived damaged, dealing with more piss-poor Sharp customer service (nice on the phone but only once in over 13 times did they ever call me back as they said they would), getting a second set that had a section on the right fail after 30 mins, agreeing to get one final set and finding out again that they gave me someone else's tracking number and didn't ship mine until over a week later, I got a working set. However, not working as one would expect as my spouse stated that "it looks like plaid" when watching an early section of Master & Commander showing a hazy shot of a ship and the sea. I can be picky but when she says something like that without prompting you know it isn't worth the 2K+ people are paying.

The net is this set is a gamble and imho, there isn't a single set that anyone here has that doesn't have banding issues (at least no one has posted a shot solid color that doesn't show it to some degree). The question is simply whether it is enough of an issue on the particular set to be something that particular owner will find distressing.

Example (note that I couldn't capture it via my digicam nearly as clearly as I could see it as there are moire issues and such)
http://o47ydg.bay.livefilestore.com/...Q/DSCF0920.JPG
post #733 of 5840 Old 11-26-2007, 11:24 PM

I have a horizontal bar that moves vertically up the screen. You can see it most of the time (its a dark bar) and it bugs the hell out of me. Anybody have this problem? I dont know if i can fix it with a setting or not. It's a 100 mile drive to the CC i bought it from on BF
post #734 of 5840 Old 11-27-2007, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt54987 View Post

I have a horizontal bar that moves vertically up the screen. You can see it most of the time (its a dark bar) and it bugs the hell out of me. Anybody have this problem? I dont know if i can fix it with a setting or not. It's a 100 mile drive to the CC i bought it from on BF

If you have a horizontal bar that moves vertically up the screen, you're describing a "humbar," the video equivalent of audio hum/buzz, not an LCD flaw. This is usually caused by a ground loop or a device in the signal chain with a poorly filtered linear power supply. It could even be present in the signal from a broadcast station.
post #735 of 5840 Old 11-27-2007, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfstone View Post

picking up my 46D64 today and am in the process of ordering Direct Tv since my cable service does not offer any HD programing in my area ( charter ). can anyone tell me if the standard reciever from Direct Tv which says HD capable is indeed capable of HD reception if I also order a HD reciever or DVR.

Dunno about their receivers, but I'd recommend you get Dish over Direct TV because dish compresses their video more providing a less than HD picture.

Mike
post #736 of 5840 Old 11-27-2007, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeetster View Post

I'm looking at a swiveling mount here http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

Could this do the job? I don't know if the TV can extend LONG enough so that it'll be in the corner when it's mounted. Just looking if anyone's used a similar mount or another idea

I got that wallmount and mounted my 42" in the corner of my bedroom. It works fine for me ....
post #737 of 5840 Old 11-27-2007, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Picked up my set yesterday. FYI, they are now coming loaded with latest firmware - U0709111. Time to get to tweakin'.
post #738 of 5840 Old 11-27-2007, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter740 View Post

Exactly my point. All LCD TV's have this so called banding problem. And I mean all. During normal viewing you will not notice it at all. The only thing I can't stand is dead pixels.

Turn on a hockey game
post #739 of 5840 Old 11-27-2007, 08:42 AM

Can anyone reccommend an external scaler? I asked about one a while back and didn't get a response.
post #740 of 5840 Old 11-27-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS pirate View Post

Got my LC-46D64U on BF too. no dead pixels but as for banding, I think i have them. when the picture pans, it looks like there's a few slight vertical areas of shadows/smudges on the actual glass (its the best way to describe what it looks like). no there aren't any actual smudges on the screen but it appears that way due to uneven backlighting or banding? don't know if they are the same type of problem.

does football appear a bit too grainy/pixelated to anyone else? i mean specifically the grass/stadium. I was watching OTA HD channels, ie. NBC sunday night football & the game on Fox, the grass & stadium appeared really grainy/pixelated. like the picture had too much noise. which was a bit off putting since 1080i on NBC looks absolutely stunningly sharp. 720p on FOX a bit less sharp. just wondering if this is normal. 720p, i can understand since this is an lcd with a native resolution of 1920x1080, not 1360x720. but the grass...

2 more question, did anyone get Circuit City extended warranty plan, if so, is it worth it or should i go with someone else? any recommendations for around the shaumburg, il area.

At times I do notice noise on some of the HD channels i pulled directly through the cable antenna. I assume this is just due to the source and not the TV. I don't yet have any 1080p sources to test out. Changing the settings seem to help quite a bit. I tried several sets of settings that were posted in the calibration thread. If you don't calibrate yourself, at least change the settings from the default, using someone else's calibrated settings and see how the picture looks.
post #741 of 5840 Old 11-27-2007, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kaz View Post

Can anyone reccommend an external scaler? I asked about one a while back and didn't get a response.

You can check out the Video Processors Forum but I doubt an external scaler is going to provide any benefit for these LCD flat panels (that is my opinion only)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=37

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #742 of 5840 Old 11-27-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by facesnorth View Post

VGA is superior to component mainly because you can view HD-DVD's and upconvert DVD's to 1080p. Through component you cannot do this. Plus, some think VGA provides somewhat of a better picture.

Who told you that? Find them, shake their hand, then smack them on the side of the head.

Component is perfectly capable of running 1080i/p, and is just as analog as RGB signal through VGA. In fact, this TV only supports full resolution analog if it's supplied via component, and NOT through VGA. And by the way, my HD-DVDs and upscaled DVDs look GREAT on component.
post #743 of 5840 Old 11-27-2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfernandez88 View Post

Wow, that worked! Sure enough, I rubbed that area and tried looking for it afterwards and it was gone!

Occam's Razor: "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best."

Glad it worked for you. Enjoy!
post #744 of 5840 Old 11-27-2007, 10:12 AM

To anyone who had there Television RMA'd by Sharp, How long did it take for the whole process? from the time you shipped the bad tv off to the time the new one came.
post #745 of 5840 Old 11-27-2007, 10:23 AM

Hi Guys,

I’m looking to by a 42” LCD 1080p TV and seriously considering LC-42D64U model. I have some questions/concerns I looking to be answer before I will be ready to purchase. Will appreciate if you could add your two cents and clarify below subjects:

1. I understand that LC-42D64U doesn’t not support 1080p/24 input. There is a limited number of TV sets that currently supports 1080p/24 input. How much difference does this feature make? Would it have “visible” impact on picture quality?

2. By looking on product manual & Spec on Sharp web site I could not find clear indication that this TV can input 1080p. With some manufacturers “1080p Compatible” does not mean that TV can input 1080p but it does mean it can output 1080p. Can somebody clarify if LC-42D64U can input 1080p?

3. Does anybody know the differences between LC-42D64U and LC-42D72U? At this point, looks like differences are only in TV design and connections.

I could not find any promotions on this TV (I guess I have missed on F&F promotion ;-) ) and the best price I found is 1350$ shipped from tigerdirect.com.

Does anybody know about any current/future promotions on LC-42D64U?

By comparing visual picture quality between LC-42D64U and LG 42LB5D in CC I have found that LG 42LB5D has better quality …. but some user reviews are not very good for LG … so, LC-42D64U is my first choice, at this moment.

Thanks a lot for your help. Any suggestion will be very much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Daniel

The price you have been looking for ..
US: www.pricera.com
UK: www.pricera.co.uk
post #746 of 5840 Old 11-27-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kaz View Post

Turn on a hockey game

That's why I have a pioneer Elite PRO-FD150 60 inch plasma.
post #747 of 5840 Old 11-27-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebob2000 View Post

Who told you that? Find them, shake their hand, then smack them on the side of the head.

Component is perfectly capable of running 1080i/p, and is just as analog as RGB signal through VGA. In fact, this TV only supports full resolution analog if it's supplied via component, and NOT through VGA. And by the way, my HD-DVDs and upscaled DVDs look GREAT on component.

Maybe you should smack yourself on the head for spewing false rubbish. On protected dvd's your component output will not upscale. Only VGA will upscale protected dvd's. Also it will support 1080p with xbox360. You need to upgrade your xbox360 firmware to the latest version or you will keep getting the signal is not compatible BS. I hope this ends all this non-sense about the sharp not supporting 1080p over VGA. It DOES!
post #748 of 5840 Old 11-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebob2000 View Post

'true dat!'

I don't know why people always think component can't handle 1080p. The folks who market HDMI upscale dvd players must reaaaally be doing a good job.
post #749 of 5840 Old 11-27-2007, 11:43 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisb View Post

Well, that sounds like the exact same image issues I saw on my 52" including that stripe from the top (one on the bottom as well but not as dark). More consistent vertical striping as well. I noticed issues on panning up&down or sideways on any content that was more solid. It is the same issue that everyone who has posted grey screen shots has though it obviously doesn't bother everyone.

For me, I don't want to see any issue like this on something I paid thousands for. I called this morning and told Sharp to give me an RMA as I am done with them. Just exhausted. Did the F&F deal almost 3 months ago now and after giving me other peoples tracking numbers, having my first set arrived damaged, dealing with more piss-poor Sharp customer service (nice on the phone but only once in over 13 times did they ever call me back as they said they would), getting a second set that had a section on the right fail after 30 mins, agreeing to get one final set and finding out again that they gave me someone else's tracking number and didn't ship mine until over a week later, I got a working set. However, not working as one would expect as my spouse stated that "it looks like plaid" when watching an early section of Master & Commander showing a hazy shot of a ship and the sea. I can be picky but when she says something like that without prompting you know it isn't worth the 2K+ people are paying.

The net is this set is a gamble and imho, there isn't a single set that anyone here has that doesn't have banding issues (at least no one has posted a shot solid color that doesn't show it to some degree). The question is simply whether it is enough of an issue on the particular set to be something that particular owner will find distressing.

Example (note that I couldn't capture it via my digicam nearly as clearly as I could see it as there are moire issues and such)
http://o47ydg.bay.livefilestore.com/...Q/DSCF0920.JPG

""The net is this set is a gamble and imho, there isn't a single set that anyone here has that doesn't have banding issues (at least no one has posted a shot solid color that doesn't show it to some degree). The question is simply whether it is enough of an issue on the particular set to be something that particular owner will find distressing."

True, even i am looking for one single post of a gray screen image which does not show banding. Truth is i am not going to be looking at the gray screen in real life but the gray screen tells you where to look for banding on a regular pic. When you pay this much you want good quality.

I did notice some light banding on my tv even with regular viewing. Im still deciding if it warrants my taking it back yet!

AR
post #750 of 5840 Old 11-27-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post

its not

p.s.
get the h21/hr21 series of HD receivers/DVRs from DirecTV when ya do
they're black in color, run cooler and respond quicker
they lack OTA but ya don't need it since the TV has it built-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS pirate View Post

there are other options out there
mack, warrantech, ge, sharp itself, etc come to mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaMike View Post

Dunno about their receivers, but I'd recommend you get Dish over Direct TV because dish compresses their video more providing a less than HD picture.

Mike

care to elaborate ? i have both - thanks

Extended warranty for the LCxxx64U series ?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc42d64u 42 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Shrlc52d64u Lcd Hdtv 52 1920x1080 Resolution Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page