Official Sharp Aquos LC-42D64U/46D64U/52D64U Owner's Thread II (No Price Talk) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 5839 Old 10-14-2007, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknbean View Post

if your talking about wide color space then there is an AV setting called xvYCC. pg 38 of the manual

Thanks blacknbean, I didn't realize xvYCC was the same thing. The manual says this AV Mode is only available when the TV is receiving an xvYCC signal but I still can't access it even when turning on both my Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players. Maybe I have to actually play a movie?

Thanks again for the help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 5839 Old 10-14-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwatcher View Post

I am only going to be hooking my PS3 up to the tv. Like I said I wont be watching tv on it, just playing PS3 and watching movies through the PS3. Will I need more than one HDMI cable in this scenario? Thank you very much

to just have the ps3 as your only source, you should just need 1 hdmi cable.
post #93 of 5839 Old 10-14-2007, 04:20 PM

Liked: 11
This time from Gladiator. The pics show how bad the banding is on my TV and hope Sharp replaces it or accepts a return.. I would rather return the TV than hope for a better TV in replacement.

post #94 of 5839 Old 10-14-2007, 07:34 PM

Picture of my 52D64U, gray background. Any banding here?

P.S. Why thread #1 is not closed for posting???
LL
post #95 of 5839 Old 10-15-2007, 12:44 AM

looks good to me.
post #96 of 5839 Old 10-15-2007, 05:58 AM
BWX

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I see banding on both of those sets.. The last one posted had some pretty bad jpg artifacts to begin with, but when adjusting only the "level" in photoshop.. it comes out. I am thinking on the last pic the banding would show up more if it was a darker gray maybe. It still doesn't look as bad as the vertical banding on some of the 62U TVs, but the horizontal banding is there. It hardly ever shows up on my TV (52" 62U) when watching TV, but I am on my second set.. I sent the first one back, the second one was much better. The replacement had much less noticeable vertical banding that was only on the bottom half of the screen. The horizontal bands look to be the same as the 64u series, almost non existent- only seen when REALLY looking for them.

I still have 4 or 5 months let on original warranty and I have not purchased the extension yet so I could still send back my 62u to Sharp- they actually offered to give me a full refund.. (about 2800 is what i would get). So I could get my money back and buy a new 64U outright, I will probably just keep my 62U though. It looks like the minor banding issue is still there on the 64u. If it weren't for the inconvenience I might do it, but I would have to send back the 62u, wait for the check to clear (may take a few weeks for the entire process), then go buy a 64u. That's quite a PITA actually.

Of course it depends on the adjustment of your monitor as to what you will see exactly.. but I see banding. I imagine while actually watching the TV it hardly ever shows up, but there still seems to be a banding issue.

edit- here is one from post 11 using the same technique (just adjusting the level in photoshop)

and here is what the 62u banding looked like for comparison- (image pulled form internet- but I can confirm from personal experience)

Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav. v7.0.9.2
SA 8300HD (no C) *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-
-8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area! :-/ :-(
post #97 of 5839 Old 10-15-2007, 06:13 AM
BWX

I just saw this-

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye4ever View Post

For those who have reported banding to Sharp, do they pay for shipping of the old TV for the exchange?

They paid for my shipping both ways when I sent back my first 62u in June 07. Not sure if they do for the 64u or not, but they will tell you if you call SHARP.

post #98 of 5839 Old 10-15-2007, 07:26 AM

I have a great TV, but it does seem to have 2 dead pixels, you can only see up close. Should I return the TV for a replacement, or will I run the risk of the next TV having 3 dead pixels?
post #99 of 5839 Old 10-15-2007, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstokas View Post

I have a great TV, but it does seem to have 2 dead pixels, you can only see up close. Should I return the TV for a replacement, or will I run the risk of the next TV having 3 dead pixels?

Don't sweat the dead pixels, I think if you are happy with the quality of the image then you should keep it. Banding and clouding are much worse and certainly more noticeable than 1 or 2 dead pixels. You gotta pick what you can tolerate and work from there, yes I know sad but true.
post #100 of 5839 Old 10-15-2007, 08:59 AM
BWX

On the first 62u I sent back, I did not even notice the dead pixels until the day I packed it up to send back because of the banding. It had three stuck bright ones on the left, I just had Lasik eye surgery and have 20/15 vision. I sit about 8 or 9 feet from the screen and never noticed them. A few dead pixels (even stuck bright) on a screen that size and resolution really doesn't make much of a difference.. unless you sit right on top of the screen and have the eyes of an eagle.

post #101 of 5839 Old 10-15-2007, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkeldysh View Post

Picture of my 52D64U, gray background. Any banding here?

P.S. Why thread #1 is not closed for posting???

It looks like you may have some slight banding but If you had to ask if someone else could see it, then you shouldn't have a problem:.
post #102 of 5839 Old 10-15-2007, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstokas View Post

You are the consumer, it is up to you whether you should return it or not, but if it does not bother you from your seating distance then I wouldn't go through the hassle of getting a replacement.
post #103 of 5839 Old 10-15-2007, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwatcher View Post

I am only going to be hooking my PS3 up to the tv. Like I said I wont be watching tv on it, just playing PS3 and watching movies through the PS3. Will I need more than one HDMI cable in this scenario? Thank you very much

If you are just using the PS3 for both then you will only need one HDMI cable
post #104 of 5839 Old 10-15-2007, 02:12 PM

Hi, I am using component for one input and HDMI for another input. on my 52" D64, When I change the contrast/brightness/color setting for one input-component, then the setting for HDMI is also change. I have reading many posts and I wonder is there a separate save setting mode for each input or all these settings are common and how do I set it?
Thanks in advance.
post #105 of 5839 Old 10-15-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautyt42 View Post

Hi, I am using component for one input and HDMI for another input. on my 52" D64, When I change the contrast/brightness/color setting for one input-component, then the setting for HDMI is also change. I have reading many posts and I wonder is there a separate save setting mode for each input or all these settings are common and how do I set it?
Thanks in advance.

the User AV Mode saves its settings for each input
post #106 of 5839 Old 10-15-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Moody View Post

No reason in the world why you shouldn't get 1080p using component video.

If the external scaler is good, HDMI+dot for dot avoids overscan and gives a slightly better picture. keyword beeing "slightly".

I only use components for the 480p output from a DVD player (I prefer the internal scaler in my plasma), on both LCD sets I have I use an extreanal region free upconverting DVD that output 1080 - particularly effective with DiVX disks.
post #107 of 5839 Old 10-15-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post

Speaking of the devil! Sharp just called me and they will exchange my unit with a new one.

(Crossing my fingers, knocking on wood)

Hey man, I just sent SHARP the pictures of mine - at first the banding didn't bother me as much, but now i cant concentrate on the tv without constantly looking for it - I suck, anyways let me know how ur experience goes...Are they paying for the shipping both ways? And do you have to send urs back first? Or do they send you a new one and then you return the defective one? I would hate to be without a TV for the next two weeks. Let me know all the details, I will most likley be marching down the same path.
post #108 of 5839 Old 10-15-2007, 07:42 PM

WOW you did a very nice job on your Sharp HDTV hookup tigerdave
That is such a clean job and will be easy to keep clean, I started off looking at RPTV's but then I started looking at LCD Flat Panals and that is how I found this thread

I am keeping your info about the parts you used for my future hookup
THANKS for all the pics and info
post #109 of 5839 Old 10-15-2007, 08:08 PM

Well, it my 46D64 finally arrived last week, only a mere month after ordering

This is my first HDTV, and I love it. I'm upgrading from an old 27" CRT, so anything would probably look good, but this thing is AMAZING.

I ran TV Blink, and noticed one dead pixel and one stuck red pixel, but I had to be ~1foot away to see it. At my normal seating distance of 8 feet, there is no way I can see it. You have to remember, there are over 6 MILLION pixels on the TV. I work for a "six sigma" company, and that defect rate is pretty impressive to me

I spent about an hour the last night doing a calibration using a cal DVD I received from Sony Vikuiti division. Fairly basic cal, not dealing with any of the CMS Hue or Saturation settings, but it does come with some nifty glasses to do the color and tint adjustments. Here is what I came up with:

Backlight = +9 (from TigerDave's settings...not part of the cal)
Contrast = +38
Brightness = -17
Color = +5
Tint = -2
Sharpness = +6

I have a couple of questions for the other owners out there -
When I play DVDs with my Samsung DVD-R135 via HDMI, I get one of the two following messages:
"Incompatible audio signal has been received. Check the output device settings"
or
"HDMI audio not supported"

In both cases, I cannot get any audio throug my TV. This is fine, since I usually use my Pioneer receiver and speakers for audio, but it is annoying for the message to be popping up all the time. It seems to pop up randomly, perhaps at the beginning of new chapters on the DVD? I thought it might be a setting on my DVD player, but I have looked through the manual and there doesn't seem to be any settings that would apply. Any help would be appreciated!

Questions #2:
Do the calibrations need to be changed based on the source? When I tune to OTA HD signal, my claibrated settings don't seem quite as good. Some of the whites seem a bit washed out or oversaturated. I noticed this on the players' uniforms while watching the baseball game tonight. Anyone know if the calibration should be expected to change based on the type of input being used?

Overall, I am highly pleased with my purchase. I already with I could have convinced the wife to go along with the 52"!!!! This is a "nice" size for our room thought (at least that's what I'll keep telling myself...).

I've read through all of the D64 threads, and I'd like to thank TigerDave for all the nice posts, and baloo75 for the nice calibration suggestions. Let me know what you think of my settings!
post #110 of 5839 Old 10-15-2007, 08:12 PM

Here are a couple of simple pictures of my setup.

Oh yeah....Go Tribe!!!
LL
LL
post #111 of 5839 Old 10-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmk9178 View Post

Well, it my 46D64 finally arrived last week, only a mere month after ordering

This is my first HDTV, and I love it. I'm upgrading from an old 27" CRT, so anything would probably look good, but this thing is AMAZING.

I ran TV Blink, and noticed one dead pixel and one stuck red pixel, but I had to be ~1foot away to see it. At my normal seating distance of 8 feet, there is no way I can see it. You have to remember, there are over 6 MILLION pixels on the TV. I work for a "six sigma" company, and that defect rate is pretty impressive to me

I spent about an hour the last night doing a calibration using a cal DVD I received from Sony Vikuiti division. Fairly basic cal, not dealing with any of the CMS Hue or Saturation settings, but it does come with some nifty glasses to do the color and tint adjustments. Here is what I came up with:

Backlight = +9 (from TigerDave's settings...not part of the cal)
Contrast = +38
Brightness = -17
Color = +5
Tint = -2
Sharpness = +6

I have a couple of questions for the other owners out there -
When I play DVDs with my Samsung DVD-R135 via HDMI, I get one of the two following messages:
"Incompatible audio signal has been received. Check the output device settings"
or
"HDMI audio not supported"

In both cases, I cannot get any audio throug my TV. This is fine, since I usually use my Pioneer receiver and speakers for audio, but it is annoying for the message to be popping up all the time. It seems to pop up randomly, perhaps at the beginning of new chapters on the DVD? I thought it might be a setting on my DVD player, but I have looked through the manual and there doesn't seem to be any settings that would apply. Any help would be appreciated!

Questions #2:
Do the calibrations need to be changed based on the source? When I tune to OTA HD signal, my claibrated settings don't seem quite as good. Some of the whites seem a bit washed out or oversaturated. I noticed this on the players' uniforms while watching the baseball game tonight. Anyone know if the calibration should be expected to change based on the type of input being used?

Overall, I am highly pleased with my purchase. I already with I could have convinced the wife to go along with the 52"!!!! This is a "nice" size for our room thought (at least that's what I'll keep telling myself...).

I've read through all of the D64 threads, and I'd like to thank TigerDave for all the nice posts, and baloo75 for the nice calibration suggestions. Let me know what you think of my settings!

Answer to Question #1:

If you send audio via HDMI to the TV you have to send it PCM (2 channel, your TV won't decode audio), you probably have it set to Bitstream so that your AVR will decode the audio. If you plan to NOT use the TV speakers, turn off "Audio Out" on the HDMI out of the receiver to the TV (send VIDEO only).

Answer to Question #2:

Different sources on different inputs will need different calibrations (only slightly if your lucky). Usually you can get by with a good set of calibration settings and just tweak to your liking. The individual inputs will retain their own cal settings.

Good luck and enjoy your new TV...
post #112 of 5839 Old 10-15-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmk9178 View Post

Here are a couple of simple pictures of my setup.

Oh yeah....Go Tribe!!!

the angle of the first picture makes me all kinds of dizzy
post #113 of 5839 Old 10-15-2007, 11:05 PM

I have both vertical and horizontal banding on my LC-42D64U. The attached pics look pretty bad, but the funny thing is I didn't even know I had them until I ran the TVblink.com test patterns.

What matters is the fact these bands are absent from almost all the regular programming I've viewed so far. When they do show up, it's so faint that no one would notice (unless you're specifically looking for it). This is especially true for HD DVD and Blu-ray. They look great!

Biggest surprise to me was how well it handles standard def.... I was expecting much worse based on the user reviews I've read on other sites. Setting the noise reduction to "high" for standard def is a must. Love this tv... one of the few (according to CNet) that properly de-interlaces 1080i content. That's perfect considering I have the Toshiba A-2 as my HD DVD player.

No buyers regret here!
LL
LL
post #114 of 5839 Old 10-16-2007, 04:38 AM

Why Do We Have Two Separate Threads???
post #115 of 5839 Old 10-16-2007, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkeldysh View Post

Why Do We Have Two Separate Threads???

the other thread had gotten cluttered with everyone talking about the F&F deal and where their tv's were and when they would be delivered etc.
post #116 of 5839 Old 10-16-2007, 07:20 AM

Got my 46" mounted last night. Used a mount from monoprice. Picture looks great and since I can not see any banding in normal viewing so far I am leaving it at that.

My question is I am trying to figure out what height to mount this at. I have it about centered on my eye level while sitting. But I am wondering if raising it about 1 foot would be bad?

What heights are other mounting their tv's at?
post #117 of 5839 Old 10-16-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexInvision View Post

Do any new owners out there have any serious banding issues on there new sets or has Sharp produced a real winner this time around.

We bought a 42" and it looked great so we purchased a 52" and it has some banding. I called Sharp and sent them pics and they reviewed the pics and have since told me they are going to replace the tv. A company is supposed to contact me in 7 to 10 business days about replacing the set with a new one.

I have to say I am very impressed with their customer service. I wish I had the pics to post but they are on our home computer

Thx
jonpfl
post #118 of 5839 Old 10-16-2007, 07:47 AM

So I have hesitated to post here until I received my TV and it finally arrived Friday. So far it has met and exceeded my expectations. I also used a combo of TigerDave's and Baloo's settings and am happy with the picture. I currently have an SA8300 DVR hooked up as well as a Sony 1080p upconverting DVD player and my Xbox 360. They all feed into my receiver via HDMI and then run up to my wall-mounted Aquos behind the wall. I used the PowerBridge to get power up to it in a seperate stud chase from the video for good measure. So far, I have not noticed any dead pixels or banding and don't plan on looking for it. Below I've posted a few pics of the final room set up, a side shot of the TV showing the mount and PowerBridge, and a couple of screenshots of the DVR video output. Perhaps someday I'll get a HTPC as well.

Final room set up (although i've had my eye on a home theater styled couch!)

Nighttime setting:

Wall mount w/ PowerBridge:

No artifacts or backlight issues:

Great Contrast:

Random screenshots:

Sorry for the abundance of pics...hopefully nobody's on dial-up!!!
post #119 of 5839 Old 10-16-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paths View Post

Got my 46" mounted last night. Used a mount from monoprice. Picture looks great and since I can not see any banding in normal viewing so far I am leaving it at that.

My question is I am trying to figure out what height to mount this at. I have it about centered on my eye level while sitting. But I am wondering if raising it about 1 foot would be bad?

What heights are other mounting their tv's at?

I had the same exact concerns. At least you're erring on the right side. I think too many people go to wall-mount their first TV and it is way too high. I found myself drawing a small line on the wall where the center of the mount would be and sitting in my chair where I would normally sit and imagining that is the center of the TV. You can take a look at the pics I just posted. I am very happy with where the TV ended up and the tilt is perfect. I don't feel like I'm looking UP at the picture. I have 8' ceilings on that floor if that helps at all. I can take an exact measurement from the floor to the center of the mount when I get home if you think that would help. I ended up using a Sanus VMPL50B. I have now gotten my wall mount and speaker stands from Sanus and it is a very high quality product. Great packaging as well.
post #120 of 5839 Old 10-16-2007, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm working on taking some pictures of my TV to see if I have banding or not but need some tips. I have a Canon a610 Powershot, what's the best way to take pictures without losing detail?

Also has anyone read the home theater mag review? It mentions 24fps being added in December. http://www.hometheatermag.com/lcds/1007sharp52/
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc42d64u 42 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Shrlc52d64u Lcd Hdtv 52 1920x1080 Resolution Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page