Official Sharp Aquos LC-42D64U/46D64U/52D64U Owner's Thread II (No Price Talk) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 5839 Old 10-20-2007, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzoucat View Post

OK, so I just got home with my LC42D64U and am having problems getting my PS3 to display 1080P. I know the PS3 and the cable are fine because I hooked the PS3 up to my Sony 40V2500 and did automatic display detection and it recognized 1080p right away. The funny thing is that my 360 displays 1080p on the new Sharp even though it's connected via component. I saw where some other people were having this same problem with the PS3 so I'm hoping someone can help me. Thanks.

What exactly isnt it doing? My 42" displays 1080p from my PS3 with no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5839 Old 10-20-2007, 05:37 PM

I just got mine and I'm noticing a lot, I mean a LOT of 'pixelization' rough pixels in fast movement. Almost as if it's trying to blur the movement but doing a horrible job. Any ideas ?
post #183 of 5839 Old 10-20-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe14 View Post

What exactly isnt it doing? My 42" displays 1080p from my PS3 with no problems.

If I do autodetect via the display settings in the PS3, It reverts to 480P. When I go into manual display settings, I can get it up to 1080i, but when I try to select 1080P, the screen goes black for like 20 seconds and then reverts back to 1080i. I tried playing a Blu-Ray disc and it only played in 1080i. Like I said I hooked everything up to my Sony 40V2500 and it detected 1080p right of the bat using the automatic settings. Since the tv and ps3 are using hdmi 1.3, do I need to use a certain hdmi cable, or will any hdmi cable work?

UPDATE: I got it working after using a different hdmi cable. It's funny how I was trying to use a fancy belkin hdmi cable that wasn't working and then it finally worked after going to a $5 Internet special.
post #184 of 5839 Old 10-20-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexInvision View Post

Do any new owners out there have any serious banding issues on there new sets or has Sharp produced a real winner this time around.

Sorry for the first post...

I've just purchased the 42 and set with tigerdave's settings. I'd have to say the banding is really terrible. I"m thinking about taking the set back, but not sure yet.

Whenever the camera pans across a light or uniform scene (for example, a baseball field), the bands are incredibly obvious and distract the eye enough to be annoying. There are two large horizontal bands in the middle of the screen as well as some smaller horizontal and a larger number of vertical bands massed more to the right than the left of the screen.

At this point, I'm thinking of trying to get sharp to exchange the set for a new one, but it seems like it may be a losing battle working with a simply poor set. The restocking fee at Circuit City is another problem. Hmm.

When I have some time, I'll probably try to get some pictures up.

Let me add, just watching discovery hd theater... In the relatively uniform scenes underwater they were showing, there were obvious stepped gradations horizontally. Probably 10 to 15. I can essentially see this stuff all the time now.
post #185 of 5839 Old 10-20-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinson View Post

I just got mine and I'm noticing a lot, I mean a LOT of 'pixelization' rough pixels in fast movement. Almost as if it's trying to blur the movement but doing a horrible job. Any ideas ?

I noticed the exact same thing. I moved my 42" Philips to the same cable outlet and the picture was not nearly as pixelated. Is this a processor issue since I ruled out a cable issue?
post #186 of 5839 Old 10-20-2007, 08:43 PM

how long have you had your sharp ?? Cause the whole pixel **** is making me mad, and I just got the damn tv today.
post #187 of 5839 Old 10-20-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:

how long have you had your sharp ?? Cause the whole pixel **** is making me mad, and I just got the damn tv today.

Yes, I see that a lot... In scenes with a lot of movement, the screen becomes very pixelated with the typical large blocks of color you see from bad digital cable compression. Perfect example would be a scene with lots of fire.
post #188 of 5839 Old 10-20-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haudidoody View Post

Yes, I see that a lot... In scenes with a lot of movement, the screen becomes very pixelated with the typical large blocks of color you see from bad digital cable compression. Perfect example would be a scene with lots of fire.

Sounds like a source problem. I get that a lot from cable, crappy comcast as usual. However the picture shows no macro blocking of any kind while watching movies on DVD, BD, and playing games via my PS3.

So basically Kinson, its not the TV its the source material.
post #189 of 5839 Old 10-20-2007, 09:07 PM

If thats cable I'll be ok, but if it's the tv I'm going to flip. I however didn't have this problem at all with my past couple hdtv's, of course I did just get a letter in the mail saying they're adding channels by Nov 12. Could be them screwing with the lines.

another thing I'm having trouble with is I can't get the vga to accept my xbox 360, I even set it to a 720 signal. I can't get it to do anything. Anyone else having these problems ?? I refuse to use component cables with my 360 anymore, always had too many problems.
post #190 of 5839 Old 10-21-2007, 01:14 AM

picked up the set from pilot last nite (o/w i would have had to wait until NOVEMBER 2nd, NOT!) from hayward, ca. ran tv blink and didn't see any noticable banding or dead pixels; i even had my friend watch the tv blink dvd 2x just to make sure i wasn't nuts. lol. i also didn't see anything noticable w/ three dvds (spiderman 3, disturbia and slow burn) that had both light and dark scenes. i dont have a tv source yet; so, i was only able to test using the philips 5982 upcoverting dvd player.

here's a pic of my set up using the avion noir 8527 w/ the optional mount poles:

so far, i'm happy with the set (i hope i dont see anything noticable after i adjust the settings ::: knock ::: ::: knock :::!), particularly at the price point.

shark
post #191 of 5839 Old 10-21-2007, 01:29 AM

/sigh @ trying to figure out how all these people say they love their xbox 360 via vga @ 1080. I can't get it to work, and I've searched every website that google has provided for me.
post #192 of 5839 Old 10-21-2007, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

One more question before I can really make up my mind. How are the blacks on this tv. For some reason my tx-42 is HORRIBLE with blacks and it saddens me so much. A lot of the colors are weird at sometimes and sometimes they're not. Have a good flow from black to white at certain times and other times super grainy...

So, how are the blacks?

At last a question i can answer.I just got my 42D64U a few weeks ago and find the black levels to be better than the non XBR Sony Bravias(3000S/3000W/3000V) and about equal with the Samsung LNT-40665F(which i use as a reference model).The blacks levels are excellent, especially when viewing HD DVD's,BlueRay discs,HD cable, and DVD's.Standard digital cable usually provides the weakest blacks, but that's attributable to poor compression and bad signals(typial fare from Comcast for me,though the HiDef channels are a ton better)If you are thinking about picking up one of the sets(42D64U,46D64U,52D64U),Circuit City is having a nice sale on the 42 inch model.
post #193 of 5839 Old 10-21-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:

I've just purchased the 42 and set with tigerdave's settings. I'd have to say the banding is really terrible. I"m thinking about taking the set back, but not sure yet.

Whenever the camera pans across a light or uniform scene (for example, a baseball field), the bands are incredibly obvious and distract the eye enough to be annoying. There are two large horizontal bands in the middle of the screen as well as some smaller horizontal and a larger number of vertical bands massed more to the right than the left of the screen.

At this point, I'm thinking of trying to get sharp to exchange the set for a new one, but it seems like it may be a losing battle working with a simply poor set. The restocking fee at Circuit City is another problem. Hmm.

When I have some time, I'll probably try to get some pictures up.

Let me add, just watching discovery hd theater... In the relatively uniform scenes underwater they were showing, there were obvious stepped gradations horizontally. Probably 10 to 15. I can essentially see this stuff all the time now.

If you could post some pics that would be great.

I have had 2 of these sets (one from CC and one from Sharp Direct). The one from CC had some lighting uniformity issues which were totally acceptable to me and no banding. I returned it for the lower priced one I got from Sharp Direct. That one, which I currently have, has some moderate vertical and mild horizontal banding. For the most part, I cannot see the banding during regular viewing. However, there are scenes where I can. Anything underwater, dark scenes, and even some lighter scenes where there is a uniform background the vertical bands show up. Also, there's some plastic wrap physically trapped underneath the top bezel and sticking out. It looks like someone was too anxious in assembling the unit and forgot to remove it.

At this point I don't think I can ignore these things and will be asking for an exchange.

There is no restocking fee at CC for TVs and don't let anyone tell you there is. When I returned mine I had to remind the representative that there wasn't and she realized her mistake.

It is possible to get a good 42D64U, you may just have gotten one of the bad less impressive ones.
post #194 of 5839 Old 10-21-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:

Here are some pictures. (apologies cause I have no idea how to do this right, they don't seem as impressive as when I'm staring at them. I think I'll try again tonight with a longer exposure) Unfortunately, there isn't much constrast in the shots, but they show the basic problem. There is a significant number (30+) of small horizontal bands (don't know if those are all "bands", but there are definitely groupings of brighter and darker gradations) as well as a good number of vertical bands (one in the middle is the most obvious). The smaller one on the right is noticeable nearly all the time. Whenever the camera pans vertically, I can see most of the horizontal bands show up and if a shot is underwater or a sky... they're obvious. It's enough to track across the screen as a wall, for example, changes brightness when it crosses each band. Suggestions? Is it worth the risk to exchange back to Circuit City for another one... or is it likely the next will be worse?

Thanks for your help guys.
LL
LL
LL
post #195 of 5839 Old 10-21-2007, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
haudidoody,

That is brutal. I am sensitive to the banding though and find any at all unacceptable.
post #196 of 5839 Old 10-21-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrandon View Post

haudidoody,

That is brutal. I am sensitive to the banding though and find any at all unacceptable.

OK, good to know that I'm not crazy. I'm serious when I say I can see the banding on any semi-uniform picture and it just doesn't seem that should be. I've had big LCDs for my computer for a long time and never seen anything like this.
post #197 of 5839 Old 10-21-2007, 11:12 AM

I just called the Circuit City where I bought the TV as they seemed to be out of stock, but I wanted to confirm. He was well aware of the issues with the Sharps and seemed annoyed with the drop in quality. He even suggested I return and get the LG instead, saying the Sharp quality "isn't what it used to be".

They're sold out at the moment, but getting a new shipment in on Wednesday, so I'll exchange it at that point for another one, and if that's bad as well, just return it I guess.
post #198 of 5839 Old 10-21-2007, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just called the Circuit City where I bought the TV as they seemed to be out of stock, but I wanted to confirm. He was well aware of the issues with the Sharps and seemed annoyed with the drop in quality. He even suggested I return and get the LG instead, saying the Sharp quality "isn't what it used to be".

They're sold out at the moment, but getting a new shipment in on Wednesday, so I'll exchange it at that point for another one, and if that's bad as well, just return it I guess.

Sharp CS has been great, they are sending me my second unit. If I am not completely satisfied, I am asking for a refund. My 37inch 1080p Westinghouse has none of these issues. Such a shame.
post #199 of 5839 Old 10-21-2007, 11:38 AM

Does Sharp ship you a brand new unit? Since they're shipping with the fact that you have banding issues, does that mean that the units they ship will be band-free? I'm just worried the hassle will result in another unit that's exactly the same. It seems to me like a lot of people have banding, more than I thought. I just bought this TV on Friday and it has a fairly noticable amount of banding. CC is out of stock right now and won't be getting a shipment until later this week.

I'm considering getting it exchanged then or simply calling Aquos support. Any suggestions?

42" Sharp Aquos LC-42D64U <- Being replaced by LC-42D65U by Sharp
60GB Playstation 3
120GB Xbox 360 Elite
Nintendo Wii
Toshiba HD-A2
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K w/ Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 Speakers
post #200 of 5839 Old 10-21-2007, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiniku View Post

Does Sharp ship you a brand new unit? Since they're shipping with the fact that you have banding issues, does that mean that the units they ship will be band-free? I'm just worried the hassle will result in another unit that's exactly the same. It seems to me like a lot of people have banding, more than I thought. I just bought this TV on Friday and it has a fairly noticable amount of banding. CC is out of stock right now and won't be getting a shipment until later this week.

I'm considering getting it exchanged then or simply calling Aquos support. Any suggestions?

They are shipping me a brand new unit. They also claimed it would be prescreened. I would be willing to bet it is not prescreened. I would also be willing to bet it will have banding. If it does, I will get a refund and grab a Samsung.... Sucks.
post #201 of 5839 Old 10-21-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:

/sigh @ trying to figure out how all these people say they love their xbox 360 via vga @ 1080. I can't get it to work, and I've searched every website that google has provided for me.

Anyone who is using xbox 360 with vga, please explain this to me. I keep getting input not supported. Seriously this is annoying the hell out of me and makes me want to take it back lol.
post #202 of 5839 Old 10-21-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:

They are shipping me a brand new unit. They also claimed it would be prescreened. I would be willing to bet it is not prescreened. I would also be willing to bet it will have banding. If it does, I will get a refund and grab a Samsung.... Sucks.

Did you go through Sharp Direct or did you sign up for an use the Sharp Aquos Advantage program?

Also, what did they tell you about when/if you could just return for a refund? According the the Sharp Direct web site it says you have 30 days from ship date but the Pilot delivery service ate up 17 of those days.
post #203 of 5839 Old 10-21-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:

Anyone who is using xbox 360 with vga, please explain this to me. I keep getting input not supported. Seriously this is annoying the hell out of me and makes me want to take it back lol.

Why are you using VGA? Use the component cables your XBOX 360 came with. I don't have any trouble using those.
post #204 of 5839 Old 10-21-2007, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard13 View Post

Did you go through Sharp Direct or did you sign up for an use the Sharp Aquos Advantage program?

Also, what did they tell you about when/if you could just return for a refund? According the the Sharp Direct web site it says you have 30 days from ship date but the Pilot delivery service ate up 17 of those days.

I called Sharp directly. They told me to send them some pictures. I wasn't sure what was up and pretty much forgot about it. Next thing you know, I get a phone call telling me a replacement is coming and the directions on what to do. This is when I started questioning what I was getting exc. My concern was getting a refurbed unit or a unit that still displays banding. The guy I spoke with indicated that he has never heard anything about the banding in his 10 years exc exc. I really just want a problem free Set. If not, I will do whatever it takes to get a refund or have them get me another unit until it is without flaws. I am sad to hear people having to get 3+ units.
post #205 of 5839 Old 10-21-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:

I called Sharp directly. They told me to send them some pictures. I wasn't sure what was up and pretty much forgot about it. Next thing you know, I get a phone call telling me a replacement is coming and the directions on what to do. This is when I started questioning what I was getting exc. My concern was getting a refurbed unit or a unit that still displays banding. The guy I spoke with indicated that he has never heard anything about the banding in his 10 years exc exc. I really just want a problem free Set. If not, I will do whatever it takes to get a refund or have them get me another unit until it is without flaws. I am sad to hear people having to get 3+ units.

Is there any evidence that people are getting sets without banding? I'm still not convinced this isn't simply the norm with these things.

By the way, anybody know why the other thread is still going?
post #206 of 5839 Old 10-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is there any evidence that people are getting sets without banding? I'm still not convinced this isn't simply the norm with these things.

By the way, anybody know why the other thread is still going?

In the 62U thread I think there were a few. Problem is, I have seen some Sharps without any banding so it almost seems getting a set without banding is a defect from the norm!

I believe there is some chance though because why would Sharp be so willing to replace the set if they thought this was going to happen again?
post #207 of 5839 Old 10-21-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard13 View Post

Why are you using VGA? Use the component cables your XBOX 360 came with. I don't have any trouble using those.

lol no one on these forums really read do they ? I don't use the component because every component cable I have had has done nothing but give me trouble. Purple lines here, miscolored there. I got the VGA because it was 100x better than the component, plus the upscaling you get with the vga cable is a major plus.

No matter what I do with component, I can't get it to look right. I want to use my vga, and I've read up and down these threads of people saying the vga looks GREAT on this tv @ 1080, which I can't achieve. So I'm confused.
post #208 of 5839 Old 10-21-2007, 03:51 PM

hahaha yes... I got it to work. I don't know if this is going to end up being bad for the tv but it works. I set my xbox to 1360x768, hooked it up, then played with the settings for a few. Once I was done making sure that the resolution I supplied would work, I changed it to 1920x1080. At first it gave me the incompatible signal message, but my xbox screen showed itself, so I got a little confused, canceled the change, and tried one more time.

It did the same thing, so I checked the signal and it was saying 1080p. So, I accepted the change and set it to dot by dot, and it works. 1920x1080 settings in the xbox, and it still claims to have a 1080p input.

HOWEVER, I have not turned off the xbox and set it back up under my tv (I had to use my westinghouse l2410mn to change the settings in the xbox to 1360x768 first, then hook up to the sharp.) I will continue to do a few little tests and make sure this is not going to make the tv flip out.
post #209 of 5839 Old 10-21-2007, 04:55 PM

So far everything is more than wonderful. So any of you out there wondering wtf like I was, I say jump on it and see if you enjoy the results. The only thing is, the tv will not scale anything for you, you have to do that yourself now. The tv will always see the input as being 1080p, so set it to dot by dot. If you for some reason have something that your xbox does not scale for you, then just stretch it yourself, and don't forget to set it back to DbD when you're done.

One thing I did notice was my xbox hd-dvd drive clicking some during my testing. Since I only really have 1 hd-dvd worth screwing with I haven't gotten around to trying anything else (will do more within the night).

The test HD-DVD I was using is Nine Inch Nails 'Beside You in Time' (which rocks btw). The only time I got any clicking noises is when it was just a black screen with writing, IE the setup screen for your monitor within the dvd. I set it up saw all my squares and then continued to the watching of the dvd. Kept my ear near the source, once the music started and the video started the clicking stopped. I was a little concerned because I had never heard that before.

If someone wants to jump on this ship and see if they have the same clicking noises that'd be cool. I'll test 300 and a few other hd-dvd's a little later on.
post #210 of 5839 Old 10-21-2007, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzoucat View Post

OK, so I just got home with my LC42D64U and am having problems getting my PS3 to display 1080P. I know the PS3 and the cable are fine because I hooked the PS3 up to my Sony 40V2500 and did automatic display detection and it recognized 1080p right away. The funny thing is that my 360 displays 1080p on the new Sharp even though it's connected via component. I saw where some other people were having this same problem with the PS3 so I'm hoping someone can help me. Thanks.

Try going into your settings and checking the box that says 1080p. This happened to me as well and I realized I just had 1080i checked.

I have a fever and the only cure is more Blu-Ray....
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc42d64u 42 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Shrlc52d64u Lcd Hdtv 52 1920x1080 Resolution Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page