Professional Callibration Needed-I think Not - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-12-2007, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just purchased a Sony 46S3000, in the S3000 forum there are settings by somebody who had their set professionally callibrated, tried them, to me the picture is so dull there is no way I could watch with these settings. Also tried the CNET settings for DVD's, same thing. Too many people on this forum are hung up with having their set callibrated, 4ms resonse time vs. 8 ms. reponse time, 60 vs. 120 refresh rates, 1080I vs, 720P etc. My set is 720p and in my opinion I don't see how you could get a better picture, to me its perfect.
I can see if someone wants to buy a callibration disc and try that, if you don't like the picture you can change it, but to pay someone to set up your set, to me its ridiculous. Just tune it to what looks best to you, thats all that matters. Too many people on here convince themselves that everything has to be perfect, yet we all know there is no such thing. All that matters is what looks best to you and your happy with it. No such thing as a perfect set, no such thing as future-proofing yourself as something new comes up every year.
People say to set your flesh tones to match as close to natural as possible. Well tried that, only problem is that I have 20 HD channels and the flesh tones pretty much look different on all of them, some look perfect, some look like shat. I don't want to buy a new set and have to worry about playings with the settings all of the time, and I'm sure most people are the same. Pick a settings that looks best to you and leave it, if you have to play with the settings every time you change the channel what is the use. How can you really enjoy your set like that?
99.9% of the population could care less about grey scale, refresh rates, etc, all they want is a set that looks good to them.
So my advice to anyone reading this and are loking for a new set, just buy what looks good to you, set it to how you like it, and enjoy. Do not over-analyze your purchase, do not try to future-proof, buy what you like and be happy. A professional callibrater can not set up your set how your eyes will enjoy it, only you can do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-12-2007, 07:54 PM

Liked: 10
Well put!

HD DVD 354ish
Blu Ray 375ish
360 Halo Reach Slim,360 Elite 120GB, MW2 250GB, Halo 3 20GB, RE5 120GB, PS3 Fat 320GB, PS3 Slim 250GB, Wii
HD DVD & Blu Ray players, too many
Money Spent.... Priceless
post #3 of 7 Old 10-12-2007, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

I also forgot to mention that some people are hung up on "Well plasma have better blacks" Well to me black is black, if it looks black its black, I don't care if I one set has a slighter shade of black versus another, if it looks black on the screen, so be it.

People are also hung up on contrast ratio's. Well if the picture on my set looks good to me do you think I care if another set has a slightly better contrat ratio?

People, just buy a set that your happy with the picture, what else matters?
post #4 of 7 Old 10-12-2007, 08:05 PM

Liked: 10
Every single television set, including those of the same brand/model, will require different calibration settings. Not just based on environment, but each tv seems to have it's own unique picture "fingerprint" out of the box, and will require some form of tweaking to get a great picture. Even on the same model of set these settings can vary drastically. While I don't believe you need an ISF calibration to get a great picture, copying the settings from another set that had the work done, even if it is the same exact set as yours, is a big mistake. It never works that way.

As far as the other comparisons, if you can't see the difference, then I agree you shouldn't spend the money to gain a couple of ms response time, for example. BUT, there are definite visual differences in response time, screen refresh rates, and resolutions, and I can honestly say that Blu-ray movies, for example, on my brother's 720p set don't look nearly as nice as they do on my 1080p, and he agrees wholeheartedly. As obsessive as people can get with their HT gear, very few of them are in fact crazy, and like myself many are able to notice (and appreciate) the differences in competing technologies. All that really matters in the end though is that you are happy with your purchase, and it sounds like you are.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-12-2007, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Do you have King Kong on DVD/HD DVD? Take a look at this screenshoot (not mine):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post11886630

Does this look good to your eyes? If you can adjust your set to have the 46S3000 to have the same picture as in the above shots, please do share with us on the S3000 thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digmor crusher View Post

Just purchased a Sony 46S3000, in the S3000 forum there are settings by somebody who had their set professionally callibrated, tried them, to me the picture is so dull there is no way I could watch with these settings. Also tried the CNET settings for DVD's, same thing. Too many people on this forum are hung up with having their set callibrated, 4ms resonse time vs. 8 ms. reponse time, 60 vs. 120 refresh rates, 1080I vs, 720P etc. My set is 720p and in my opinion I don't see how you could get a better picture, to me its perfect.
I can see if someone wants to buy a callibration disc and try that, if you don't like the picture you can change it, but to pay someone to set up your set, to me its ridiculous. Just tune it to what looks best to you, thats all that matters. Too many people on here convince themselves that everything has to be perfect, yet we all know there is no such thing. All that matters is what looks best to you and your happy with it. No such thing as a perfect set, no such thing as future-proofing yourself as something new comes up every year.
People say to set your flesh tones to match as close to natural as possible. Well tried that, only problem is that I have 20 HD channels and the flesh tones pretty much look different on all of them, some look perfect, some look like shat. I don't want to buy a new set and have to worry about playings with the settings all of the time, and I'm sure most people are the same. Pick a settings that looks best to you and leave it, if you have to play with the settings every time you change the channel what is the use. How can you really enjoy your set like that?
99.9% of the population could care less about grey scale, refresh rates, etc, all they want is a set that looks good to them.
So my advice to anyone reading this and are loking for a new set, just buy what looks good to you, set it to how you like it, and enjoy. Do not over-analyze your purchase, do not try to future-proof, buy what you like and be happy. A professional callibrater can not set up your set how your eyes will enjoy it, only you can do that.

post #6 of 7 Old 10-12-2007, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

I agree, you have to set your own settings to the way you prefer. Now I acknowlege that some people can definitely see a difference in 720P vs, 1080I etc, but most people cannot or they are just convincing themselve that they can. Full power to people who want to tweak their sets as much as possible and they are happy doing so. I'm just saying that to the majority of people this is not necesarry. Too many people come on this forum and read all the info that is available to them and they are overloaded. Let the finer details apply to the techno wizards, to the rest of us, buy a set which looks great to you and be happy. Don't sweat the details.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-12-2007, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Its my opiniOn thatit is not woRth the$$ too geT you're set callibrated?

It's my opinion that it is not worth the money to get your set calibrated.

You can understand both of the above sentences, just like you can watch (and even enjoy) the picture on your set, and one that has been professionally calibrated. However, only one of the above sentences is gramatically correct. Just like a calibrated set will be adjusted to the set of the NTSC and ATSC television standards. It is not the goal to perpetually tweak and fool with settings. Many peoples' goal is to get as close to the recognized ATSC/NTSC standards as possible. Obviously, a professional calibrator will use sophisticated testing equipment and make service menu (not just the user menus that you may assume) to make a permanent set of adjustments.

Anyways, I hope you can relate to my above grammatical example. As long as you're happy with your set, that is what is important. No need to adjust and tweak if you are satisfied. Put in your favorite movie, and enjoy.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page